Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Progtronic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm 

I'd like to submit my one-man project 'Band' to this site.. but after reading the "Is your submitted band really metal?/Rules & Guidelines", I'm sort of wondering.

Here's the full stream of my latest album:
http://www.facebook.com/tronicbook/app_2405167945

This is my first serious Metal album.

My background, musically, was primarily Prog Rock and Electronic styles. I've tinkered with Metal in the past, but never made any serious attempts at it, due to technological issues.

Basically.. I'm a computer geek/sound designer/metal head. Not a performing artist.. never played a guitar (or any other 'real' instruments), aside from just sampling single guitar notes. I could never get the kind of acceptable detailed Metal guitar sound, from any synth or sampling techniques I had available to me at the time.

In the past couple years technology finally caught up with me. I feel that I'm now able to get very close to the kind of Metal Guitar sounds I've been working towards all these years (thanks to various VST's and amp/cab simulators). Still not perfect though.. never will be. Can't beat the real thing, I know. The result is my latest 'Mortis Metallum' album.

Aside from being fully electronic.. it's instrumental. Which wouldn't even place me into an underground status.. more of just a Metal limbo. Also.. the musical scales and progressions are not really standard/traditional.. for Metal in general, or for Death Metal in particular. There's also a strong melodic and groove element. Really wanted to try something a bit different. My concern is that all this style tweaking may have made it too different.

Anyway.. TL:DR - I may have colored too far outside the (Metal/Death Metal) lines with this project. Was shooting for 'Technical Death Metal'. Is this latest album too weird for a submission to this site?

Any feedback regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Progtronic on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:28 pm 

I would consider it metal,but I dont know how the mods are on completely electronic music
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:34 pm 

Post this in the Suggestions and Complaints forum. Mods aren't going to even see your thread here and you're not going to get an answer.

Progtronic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:38 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm just gonna pass on a submission. I did post in the 'Suggestions and Complaints' forum as well.. they just passed right over my concerns.

*edit*: To be fair.. it looks like they have their hands full dealing with their submission queue and complaints, in general.. as it is. I'm guessing they would suggest that I just submit.. then deal with it from there. But I have a gut feeling it would be rejected anyway.

So.. I'll just move on.

Electronic community doesn't want anything to do with me.. and it looks like the Metal community doesn't know what to do with me either.

Sucks to be me.. :P

Anyway.. thanks again.

theNorthernCold
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:17 pm 

I took a listen and can't help but think that if it was played with real instruments it sound great. To be honest it sounds way too sterile. The drums sound way too programmed.

To me it sounds like midi tracks band members give each other when songs are in their embryonic stage.

http://thenortherncold.bigcartel.com
Our distro

Progtronic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:58 pm 

That's cool. I'm going for a very tight, mechanical, electronic sound.

My original programming/tracking experiments were very 'humanized'. Lots of dynamics, in all the instrumentation.. with a 'loose', natural rhythmic feel. This gave everything a sort of bland, washed together sound that lacked the tight punchiness I was ultimately going for, in a 'Technical Death Metal' style. It ended up sounding more hard rock than metal to me.. granted, it was more realistic sounding as well.

So, I decided to work completely opposite from those original ideas.. killed the fluffy dynamics.. and hard quantized everything to the grid. Gave me the crispy punch it needed.. and made it a lot heavier.

I'm totally ok with it sounding electronic.. because.. it is. Not trying to fool anybody.

Regardless.. I believe it's totally possible to sound 'Metal' with electronics.

I'm certainly not the first to do it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLCZhQX_Fm0

v.s. modern technical metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j987fspMPBU .. which possibly sounds even more mechanical and electronic, than even Ministry's old chopped up digital 'metal' styled stuff.

I appreciate you listening and giving your feedback.. any feedback on my latest stuff is good for me at this point.

norcalslayings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:23 pm 

I like the music alot actually,and I love metal and electronic music
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic