Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:27 pm 

Instead of every instrument having its own amp set with all its own effects, would it be cheaper and/or easier to just get one massive amp with a bunch of inputs, set it on clean, and get all effects via pedals?

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:38 pm 

What? This doesn't even make sense. Are you saying everyone should play through one amp? This doesn't make any sense.

It is better to get pedals to control your effects rather then using preset effects on the amps.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:57 pm 

That would work in magic land where things like that would make sense and could happen. And also we all will be super rich and handsome.

Also if you were even thinking about creating something like this that wouldn't just blow the fuck up and be a muddy garbage mess, you might as well also develop free energy via troll physics.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:15 am 

"What? This doesn't even make sense."
Can you be a little specific?

"Are you saying everyone should play through one amp?"
That's what I'm doing right now, only on a cheap amp.

"It is better to get pedals to control your effects rather then using preset effects on the amps."
Ok cool, that answers part of my question.

Shaolin - Why would it blow up? Why would it be a "muddy garbage mess"? Technology is scientific. Just saying 'it doesn't work' doesn't get anyone as far as explaining why it doesn't work. If it in fact does not work as you suggest, specific reasons why that method is flawed would steer me in the right direction as to overcome those flaws.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:13 am 

It's because what you're saying is confusing. Do you mean like if it would be better to get an amp without effects and do it all via pedals, or to get a modeling-amp style that comes with effects? Because if so, the pedals would be the better, if more expensive route. You'd have more control over each effect's sound. Modeling amps like the Line 6 Spider than have effects built-in are cheaper, but rely heavily on preset sounds.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 am 

kale100 wrote:
Instead of every instrument having its own amp set with all its own effects, would it be cheaper and/or easier to just get one massive amp with a bunch of inputs, set it on clean, and get all effects via pedals?

Sounds like you're talking about the soundsystem at every venue but running everything as lines in rather than through speaker cabinets and microphones. No, that would neither be cheaper nor easier than having separate amps.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
That would work in magic land where things like that would make sense and could happen. And also we all will be super rich and handsome.

Make me super rich and we're all set.

kale100 wrote:
Why would it be a "muddy garbage mess"? Technology is scientific. Just saying 'it doesn't work' doesn't get anyone as far as explaining why it doesn't work. If it in fact does not work as you suggest, specific reasons why that method is flawed would steer me in the right direction as to overcome those flaws.

Do you understand why the house PA at shows requires such a big mixing board, or more generally, why it requires mixing? Now, I won't dispute that bolded statement, but I am confused as to why you use it there...

To address the whole thing without explaining it in technical terms - learn why both recordings and live shows require mixing and other engineering to come through one soundsystem. Listen to a pedal straight through headphones, then listen to it through an amp/speakers. Both the amplifier and speakers are a significant part of the sound.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:11 am 

The very simple answer is: No.

Why would you even want to do this? If this were such a great idea to save money and effort, others would have done it decades ago if it worked.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:36 pm 

Zodijackyl - Thank you for actually trying to help. I wish I knew more about mixing but I don't know where to start. All I've heard, don't know whether it's right or not, is that multiple instruments spewing the same frequencies tend to drown each other out and make more decibels than discernable sound.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 pm 

Sorry if it seems like i was blowing up. It's one of those things that is when presented with such a question you are overwhelmed by the stupidity of it. Like when a guitarist I'm working with asked me if he could run 2 guitar heads into one guitar cabinet. I didn't need to tell him how it is physically impossible with explaining exactly why it's physically impossible. This is the same case. and like somefella said... I hope you don't think this was some sort of original idea that you alone just came up with like it would change the world. It was probably gone over long long long ago with no sucess.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:11 pm 

That's ok Shaolin, but when I am presented with such a question in a topic I am knowledgeable about, I calmly try to help that person out for mutual benefit. Them, they get answers; everyone else, one less stupid thing they'll have to read in the future. As for your last thought...I apologize if I am wrong, but it sounds like you intended that to be negative just for the sake of being negative. The bottom line is, the equipment at my disposal is sub-par, I need to upgrade, and I want to make an informed purchase that suits my needs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm 

No. It wasn't to be construed as negative. Just that if it was a great idea don't you think someone would've been doing it all along already?

If you are asking if you should just get an standard powerful amp for yourself and just use pedals for all your effects... yea I would go that route if you use a bunch of that stuff.

I even at one point used a power amp and ran my guitar in directly with a distortion pedal. it worked for a little while but the power amp wasn't that great to begin with and bit the dust. then I got a real guitar head

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:21 pm 

Ok thank you. I will further pursue that route; but just to be absolutely clear, this setup only works well 1 instrument to 1 amp?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:27 pm 

depending on what you are buying as far as how many cabs you will be able to run or if you are getting a combo amp.

But yes to it will only work for one instrument. All setups will only be one instrument per setup.

kale100
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:32 pm 

Ok thank you for your advice.

I guess this thread is case closed.

Reply to topic