Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Goremasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:10 pm 

Ok so my buddy gave me an interface. A MAudio fast track. Have my head going into that, and that into my computer. I've never used an interface before, always used mics. I'm sure these are done questions then. But 1, how do I select the interface in reaper to use that. And 2, what do I have to do so I can hear through my computer speakers, while the interface in plugged in? Again sorry for the dumb newbie questions.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:09 pm 

First off, download ASIO4ALL. It's an audio driver that is free, tons of people use it, and it really helps the performance.

upper right hand corner it'll say something like [44.1khz 24bit WAV: 2/2 512spls} or some jumble of numbers. Click there. Select your audio system. Use ASIO. Below that, select your driver. Select ASIO4ALL. If your interface is properly installed and you have the drivers you need for it (if in fact you need them at all) the inputs and outputs should already populate. Select them, make sure. Hit okay.

Create a new track. In the area about 2mm to the right of the slider on the track, where it displays how loud the signal is, right click. Go to input:mono -> and then select the input you're using. If it's in input one of your audio interface, select input one. Hit the Record arm/disarm button on that track to arm it. To the right of the slider you'll see 4 small square buttons. THe third one down is Record monitoring. Click it once so it's set to Record monitoring: ON. Then you'll be able to hear yourself.

Oh, and if you're running an amp head right into your computer, you'll almost certainly need an amp cab simulator. Easiest one is Poulin's LeCab v1. Free download. If you don't know how to use a VST lemme know and I'll walk you through that.

Don't worry, we're all newbies at some point.

Reply to topic