Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rotwang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:12 pm 

I have been playing the upright bass classically for eight or nine years, but I want to start learning the electric bass with the eventual goal of joining or starting a metal band. Most of the information elsewhere on the internet caters to people switching from electric to upright bass, but not vice versa, and especially not from classical, orchestral bass to electric bass for metal.

Since the fingerboard on the upright is fretless (and after hearing a few songs featuring Steve DiGiorgio), I thought a fretless bass would make more sense, but some people have cautioned me against learning electric bass on fretless, especially for metal. Also, I've considered getting a five-string bass to prevent having to detune a four-string once I start playing with other people, but again I'm not sure if this is a smart move for a novice.

Any other ideas/concerns/cautions about transitioning from upright to electric bass (or from classical music to metal) are welcome as well. Thanks.
I am doing this because this is my passion, I live for making music. So I sink all my time, energy and money into this. And who buys it? Nobody. Do I care? No. It's not going to stop me. It never should.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:16 pm 

Both are bad moves, and really playing upright bass doesn't translate all that simply to electric bass. I have a friend who plays upright, played more in rockabilly style but if you gave him an electric he just fucked it all up cause he just couldn't get it.

just start out with a simple 4 string and go from there. That's the best bet, detune a four string? just tune it lower you can still get all the same notes you need.

xpsychoblissx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:32 am 

This almost always starts up a good discussion...

I learned how to play the guitar (6-string) back in about 2003, and started learning how to play the bass guitar around the same time, but in a really half-assed way. Finally, it either 2008 or 2009, I bought my first bass, which was a fretless bass.

I actually still use that bass in all of my recordings... When I use a normal fretted bass, it seems to be way easier to play--not sure why. lol Most people say to avoid fretless as your first bass, due to still learning how to play and what not, but with your background, I don't see why not. Just keep in mind that fretless basses are a little more difficult to mess with in terms of getting a "metal tone". The strings have to be either half round or flat wound so they don't mess up the fretboard. Those types of strings are not notorious for their bright tone, but I have a couple of recommendations if decide to go the fretless route. :)

Reply to topic