Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BlackMetalMilitia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 pm 

I'm a guitarist and composer who is dreaming to some sort of follower of Quorthon's footsteps. My goal is learn powerful vocals alongside my guitar playing and I'm aiming to form a viking metal band some day. I can sing in tune and I can even tab the vocal melodies to my compositions. It's very easy for me to understand the interaction between vocals and instruments. But the problem is my voice. I've got manly and low voice but the way it derives to my singing isn't satisfying me. My vocals sound rather weak and they are more like fit to an jazz or rock songs than metal. Any advice how to make my output stronger and louder? Or is it possible that I just have to find a singer to fulfill this role?

However, Q's example itself kind of gives me hope for the possibility of this. In 20 years he developed his voice with huge leaps. He sounds very different on Blood on Ice compared to Nordland II.

In this song I think he is at his best. He is just perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszZVH08jM0

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:38 pm 

Quorthon is hardly a skilled singer by any means. I really like most of his vocals, but I don't think he was really trying to mimic any particular singer. If you want to imitate Quorthon, I suggest singing however comes naturally to you.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:12 am 

First of all, great to see a devout fan of the mighty Bathory. I once had vocals exactly like those on the first Bathory LP, and I did nothing more than play Venom covers and scream my head off in our cramped rehearsal space. I'm currently listening to The Wheel Of Sun, that you posted, and my suggestion to you would be to put this LP/CD on, print the lyrics off and do your best to sing along, in effect imitating the vocals. Do this six or seven times a day. Make sure to warm up your voice prior to practice by drinking a little water, and running through a general scale, from low to high and back again.

It's all about practice, just like piano or electric guitar.

BlackMetalMilitia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 am 

Hmm yes I guess practice makes perfect. And attitude makes up the experience, like on Blood on Ice or Hammerheart. However there must be some kind of initial power in the voice in order to flow with dropped C riffs of mine. You can't really imagine bon jovi singing in Bolt Thrower. Oh, little too harsh example. :D

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:18 pm 

I certainly agree on your point concerning attitude. If you really believe in what you're doing, then I can guarantee you will get there eventually with whatever it is that you are trying to create :)
Hahaha, no Bon Jovi would not work with Bolt Thrower, and he probably shouldn't have a crack at it either ;)

Let me know if you need help with anything. I can play guitar, perform vocals, as well as classical guitar and program synth - strings, harp, piano, etc
Just promise to let me know when you release or upload some of your material ;)

BlackMetalMilitia
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:11 am 

Thanks man! I think the near future is quite booked to other band I'm guitarist for. Things are working on there nicely. This project is something I will fulfill once I'm more experienced about band stuff in general and when I have a composed enough material for it.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:56 pm 

Filosofuck wrote:
Quorthon is hardly a skilled singer by any means. I really like most of his vocals, but I don't think he was really trying to mimic any particular singer. If you want to imitate Quorthon, I suggest singing however comes naturally to you.

I agree with this. If you want to sing like Quorthon and you sing on key, you're actually going to have to work to miss notes on a fairly regular basis which can be harder than it sounds. Also, if your voice is low, you're essentially screwed because you probably won't be able to reach Quorthon's register without some kind of Axel Rose trickery (or surgery to shorten your vocal cords .. which can be done).

As far as getting better, just take singing classes and practice. But yeah, like Filosofuck said, if you really want to sing like him, forget he was ever there and just launch out on your own doing whatever the fuck comes naturally. Even if you do manage it, you'll be counted as a copy cat worshiper. Better to just learn songs of his you like, maybe do a couple covers, get it out of your system, and make your own music.

Reply to topic