Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 am 

So I've been told I should take up drumming, and decided "Why the hell not?"
My 10 year-old brother has a drum kit that he used for a while before he didn't have time to practice anymore, and now it's sitting in the garage taken apart doing nothing.
SO my question is: where should I start for lessons? Any decent books/sites to recommend? I was also told by a friend online that "Living After Midnight" was the best first song to learn. Is this kinda accurate?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:21 am 

Search youtube for "drum lessons" or something like that. There's tons on there, you'll probably find something useful.

The way I taught myself was by making a playlist of songs I loved the drumming in. Some were easy, some less so. But trying to play along with them got me learning quickly. Especially the things that were beyond me, because then I found that in pushing myself I discovered new ways of doing things.

Goran
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:53 am 

http://www.freedrumlessons.com/drum-lessons/

Check the beginner's section, for starters.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 am 

Also some metal drummers have instructional dvd's out. The flo mounier one has good tips for blastbeats and more essential stuff like how you should hold the sticks and hit the drums. jamming along with CD's is also a good place to start I think.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:12 pm 

I'm by no means a drummer, but I do play some drums from time to time, and the way I learned was first of all just tapping to songs on tables. From there, when I was in front of a kit, I would play along to a song, but start out first by just doing one or two elements of the song. For instance, we'll pick "Living After Midnight." I would start by just getting your kick drum and snare going. The biggest part of learning drums is gaining independence of your hands and feet. Once you can make one do something without the other following, you'll have a much better time.

Pfuntner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:30 am 

The metronome is your life. Worship it like a god.

I'd recommend getting a teacher in person if possible, because that way it'll be easier to correct any technique/posture issues quickly. If that's not an option, learn your rudiments, always practice to a metronome, and find some songs that you like and figure out how they work. Probably a good idea to stay away from the real intense blasting stuff, like the mounier dvd for now (oddly enough, Flo gives that same advice on that dvd! He said that he went for the fast technical stuff too quickly and eventually had to relearn the basics to correct bad habits he had developed.) Also, there's no better teacher than other musicians who are better than you, so if you can find some more experienced players to jam with, you'll find yourself with an incentive to get better. Have fun!

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 am 

I'm probably about half self-taught and half taught by others when it comes to drums.

I'd recommend getting someone, or at the very least some literature (I don't know any good titles, sadly) or both, to show you the basics - learn rudiments like flams, drags and paradiddles, a basic drum-roll, stuff like that, and some basic beats and fills, and just see where it takes you from there. Become the lord of 4/4 time, then diversify.

It's amazing and really confidence building how many songs by the likes of AC/DC and similar which you would be able to play with just the basic 4/4 beat, to get practice at playing along to music. My drum teacher had me playing a lot of indie rock, which, granted, isn't something I'm into much, but it definitely helps.

It's may be worth learning to read drum sheet music, if that takes your fancy. It's the sort of thing which you can grasp most of in a not-too-busy evening.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:17 pm 

I learned by playing rock band and was able to do 200bpm blast beats within a year of starting.

The thing that helped the most was that I always pushed myself further than I could go. There were always sections of songs that were too difficult for me, but I still played those songs. Eventually, when I progressed, if I came back to one of these songs, I'd be able to do it no problem.

It'll be frustrating at first not being able to get the beat down right but just stick with it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 pm 

Here's a tip: Being tight is more important than being fast. No one cares if you can blast at 300BPM if you flub hits or your tempo is shaky. This is the problem I see in most drummers. Sure, during rehearsal everyone goes "oooh, aaaah" when you roll off some speedy kicks. Put that shit under the microscope during recording and soon you'll be begging your sound engineer to fix it.

With good basic rudiments and tempo, speed and flashiness will come. It's more important to sound good than cool.

Reply to topic