Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Vansoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:43 pm 

Thats right, just for drummers. Feel free to discuss any and all aspects of drumming at your leisure here.

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm 

Finally, a forum for the rest of us. I tried to create on in the Metal Disscusion, but that went to hell fast. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a outragiously good (not just good, outragiously, or kick-assly good) Metal drummer? Like, maybe the guy from :headbang: Origin :headbang: ? Or better? I don't know...just trying to learn/improve some techniques. Or even if anyone has any good tips/techniques on drumming that are not too common, perhaps?

Last edited by Chryxtolf on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elTobe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:59 pm 

Chryxtolf wrote:
Finally, a forum for the rest of us. I tried to create on in the Metal Disscusion, but that went to hell fast. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a outragiously good (not just good, outragiously, or kick-assly good) Metal drummer? Like, maybe the guy from
:headbang: Origin :headbang: ? Or better? I don't know...just trying to learn/improve some techniques. Or even if anyone has any good tips/techniques on drumming that are not too common, perhaps?

Kickass metal drummers? Hmm let's see Dave lombardo (slayer), Pete sandoval (Morbid angel), Hellhammer (Mayhem & Dimmu Borgir session-drums), Nicholas Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir) and many many more

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:03 pm 

Maybe some drummers that we all haven't heard of...? Or techniques would help also. And yes, Nicholas is amazing.

elTobe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:13 pm 

Chryxtolf wrote:
Maybe some drummers that we all haven't heard of...? Or techniques would help also. And yes, Nicholas is amazing.

I'm actually pretty ignorant when it comes to drums, have never tried playing them seriously. Just posted some obvious ones.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:27 pm 

I've been wanting to get into drumming for such a long time, but I don't really own a set, nor would I have anywhere to practice :(

I imagine that'd a large factor in what seems to be the percieved unavailability of drummers.

SCMugen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:44 pm 

I'm not much of a drummer, but I'd share some of my favorite drummers: Gene Hoglan (Especially his work with SYL), Derek Roddy (ex-Hate Eternal, Nile etc.), Bobby Jarzombek, Flo Mounier, Doc (Vader, what an excellent drummer he was), Tomás Corn (on Lykathea Aflame).

That's obviously for extreme Metal drummers. If you're interested in some more Prog/Jazz/Fusion drummers, the obvious Mike Portnoy, Terry Bozzio, Dennis Chambers, Neal Peart, Tony Royster Jr and Buddy Rich comes to mind.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:45 pm 

I never understood what is so amazing about Tomás Corn. someone care tot ell me?

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:45 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
I've been wanting to get into drumming for such a long time, but I don't really own a set, nor would I have anywhere to practice :(

I imagine that'd a large factor in what seems to be the percieved unavailability of drummers.

I dont blame you, drumming is amazing, and I love it. I love using my bass pedals soooo much. :drool: I've only been playing for about a year and a half, but it became one of my passions, along with the rest of Metal itself. Right now Iv'e been experimenting a little with a band. God, it's one thing to listen to what you love, but to create it is a completly different thing. I love going fast as hell, with Blastbeats and stuff, but sometimes I like to slow down, and go into a little Doom Metal. But I think the unavailability of drummers is really that guitar is the most sought after musical skill, (in Metal) and people become intimidated using all of their limbs at once. It's really simple though. Anyone else?

Last edited by Chryxtolf on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:48 pm 

Chryxtolf wrote:
But I think the unavailability of drummers is really that guitar is the most sought after musical skill, (in Metal) and people become intimidated using all of their limbs at once. It's really simple though. Anyone else?

Well, alot of guitarists I know either play the drums, or want to. But a major thing I hear a lot is that they don't have the space to play them, or their environment isn't suitable for it(apartment, in ym case).

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:53 pm 

Chryxtolf wrote:
But I think the unavailability of drummers is really that guitar is the most sought after musical skill, (in Metal) and people become intimidated using all of their limbs at once. It's really simple though. Anyone else?

Well, alot of guitarists I know either play the drums, or want to. But a major thing I hear a lot is that they don't have the space to play them, or their environment isn't suitable for it(apartment, in ym case).

That's what electric kits are for. They're quiet enough for apartments, but can still sound like drums on the headphones. But they cost a lot of $$$$$$$. I want one myself, so I can play at night and stuff like that, but I'm broke. I suggest it for you though if you're serious about playing.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:57 pm 

Chryxtolf wrote:
Chryxtolf wrote:

That's what electric kits are for. They're quiet enough for apartments, but can still sound like drums on the headphones. But they cost a lot of $$$$$$$. I want one myself, so I can play at night and stuff like that, but I'm broke. I suggest it for you though if you're serious about playing.

Yep, also broke. My friend has one of those though.

spiritcrusher98
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:58 pm 

Vinny Daze of Demolition Hammer is my favorite drummer. Just listen to their "Epidemic of Violence" album and you'll see why.

I also enjoy Bill Andrews' drumming on Death's "Spiritual Healing" album. Very straightforward, yet very precise.

I'm more of a guitarist myself, but I do enjoy playing the drums every now and then. I just love playing double bass!

Dead_Body
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:17 pm 

I'm hoping to get my first drum set soon, and my dad (who played drums for 10 years) and I have been looking all over the internet for good deals on starter sets.

Well, we found this, and I was wondering if anyone has it, has the same brand, and/or can otherwise lend some helpful information. It has a bunch of goodies - everything a n00b like me needs to start, so I think it looks like a good way to start off drumming.

Thoughts on it?

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:53 pm 

ummmm...? Well, it is a starter, so that'll be useful you for now. One of my friends bought a guitar made by that brand a while ago...yeah...I prefer not to talk about it. But it's not like it's going to be a the best if you're looking for a starter. It's probably better than what I have. You might want to learn some rudiments (paradidles, rolls, basic hand-eye-foot coordination, etc.) before you get into all the Metal drumming. That'll help you in the long run. But yeah, good luck with that drumming man. :thumbsup:

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:40 pm 

Frost of Satyricon is a very good black metal drummer. Unfortunately he plays to fast for his own good in 1349 but i'm sure quite a few will disagree with me.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Heer_Beraht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:57 am 

Hail fellow drummers!

I've been drumming for a year now and it's going pretty good.
I am a Black Metal fan and me and a friend of mine have started to rehearsel some songs we wrote, however many songs contain that typical fast black metal rythm (bass+hihat, snare, repeat) (are those Blastbeats?).
Do any of you guys know a technique to play this pretty fast (tempo 160 and up) that is not to tiring so that you don't slow down (as i do :p).

I'm also looking for some double bass techniques to play double bass fast (again, 160 and up). I read something about a foot - heel technique, but my feet are to big.

Thanks!

oVerCaffeinated
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 am 

Visionary wrote:
Frost of Satyricon is a very good black metal drummer. Unfortunately he plays to fast for his own good in 1349 but i'm sure quite a few will disagree with me.

No you're right, he excels at slower paced drumming. An example being Satyricon - Shadowthrone. I only listen to that album because of the drumming :)

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:14 am 

Heer_Beraht wrote:
Hail fellow drummers!

I've been drumming for a year now and it's going pretty good.
I am a Black Metal fan and me and a friend of mine have started to rehearsel some songs we wrote, however many songs contain that typical fast black metal rythm (bass+hihat, snare, repeat) (are those Blastbeats?).
Do any of you guys know a technique to play this pretty fast (tempo 160 and up) that is not to tiring so that you don't slow down (as i do :p).

I'm also looking for some double bass techniques to play double bass fast (again, 160 and up). I read something about a foot - heel technique, but my feet are to big.

Thanks!

Well, a good way to speed up the blasts is to alternate between your feet (if you arent already doing so) so its right foot, snare, left foot, snare. You will slow down at high tempos until you develop stamina, you should play within your comfort zone to a click track until you can maintain the pace, then slowly speed up a few bpm at a time. Its not very exciting but its the best way to learn.
The kick technique you are asking about is heel-toe, as used by Tim Waterson and relies to a great deal on the use of axis longboard pedals. A different technique for singles that is used by Tim Yeung, George Kollias etc etc is the "swivel technique". It a bit hard to describe here but if you search for Tim Yeungs Worlds Fastest Drummer video (youll find it on YouTube.com or something) you see a close up of him using it there.
Hope this helps.

Heer_Beraht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:03 am 

Andyminion wrote:
Well, a good way to speed up the blasts is to alternate between your feet (if you arent already doing so) so its right foot, snare, left foot, snare. You will slow down at high tempos until you develop stamina, you should play within your comfort zone to a click track until you can maintain the pace, then slowly speed up a few bpm at a time. Its not very exciting but its the best way to learn.
The kick technique you are asking about is heel-toe, as used by Tim Waterson and relies to a great deal on the use of axis longboard pedals. A different technique for singles that is used by Tim Yeung, George Kollias etc etc is the "swivel technique". It a bit hard to describe here but if you search for Tim Yeungs Worlds Fastest Drummer video (youll find it on YouTube.com or something) you see a close up of him using it there.
Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll try blastbeats with both feet and I'll search the video as soon as my workshift is over :)

drumjustinp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:57 pm 

The urge is always to go for the blastbeats right away at hair-on-fire tempos.

As said before, break it down like crazy everyday. Start super slow, and pay very close attention to the sounds your feet are putting out. Its tedius at first, but you'll thank yourself 3 months down the road.

the_empyreal_lexicon
Captured in Eternity's Eye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:57 am 

blastbeats are relatively simple. .. your feet should be alternating in time with youre ride cymbal or high hat and your snare should be out of sync (basicaly a roll with your high hat or ride and your snare) with the bass drums following the cymbals. some drummers use one foot. others make it easy on themselves by using 2 pedals. im one of the latter. the blastbeat i just described is called an offbeat blast. and are the standard black / death metal blast

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:49 am 

I would also suggest keeping your pedals pretty loose also. By that I mean to where you don't get a lot of power (by rasing them upward or downward), but instead you can do doubles a lot faster by lowering them to about a 35-45 degree angle. Sorry if I'm confusing anyone, it's hard to actually explain. It's more of a "I-have-to-show-you-what-I-mean-thing". Basically just keep your pedals pretty low. I learned that the hard way. I raised them so that I got a lot of power, but it was very difficult to go fast, and even maintain a certain speed. Now, I'd say I can do about 160 BPM's after I lowered them, and I learned it within a week or so. One last thing, I would recommend learning a technique called the Gravity Blast. It sounds a lot better than a traditional Blast Beat, but since you use your dominant hand (right hand in most cases) that limits what you can do with your left hand. It's quite simple to learn though. I saw a video of it on www.youtube.com and learned it that week.

Heer_Beraht
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys!
but the main problem I have when doing blastbeats is that my foot isn't fast enough and if I also use my left foot, that one always hits the bass to soon, but I'll try to loosen the pedal en put it at some degree, hopefully it goes better.
But thanks again for the info! Gravity Blast looks cool so I'll defenitly try that one.

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:13 pm 

Heer_Beraht wrote:
Thanks for all the info guys!
but the main problem I have when doing blastbeats is that my foot isn't fast enough and if I also use my left foot, that one always hits the bass to soon, but I'll try to loosen the pedal en put it at some degree, hopefully it goes better.
But thanks again for the info! Gravity Blast looks cool so I'll defenitly try that one.

No problem "G-Money". :thumbsup: The thing about Blastbeats though is that, like anything, you have to take it SSSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWW at first. Practice moving your feet one beat at a time, slowly, to assure accuracy. Speed is one thing, but if you're offbeat, or sloppy, speed turns to shit. Also, I recommend the heel-up position on the bass drum, but it really is your preference. One last thing is, that if you're having trouble counting beats with your feet, count the beats using your hands (on the snare), and have your feet follow. Like this: (1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+.....) For every "number", use your left hand (and foot simultaneously) and for every +, or "and", use your right hand and foot. Count slow for about an hour every day. Soon you'll have it down.

bradddtheimpaler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:51 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking for some real REAL in depth instruction on gravity blasts. I'm a fairly experienced and moderately talented drummer, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get those fucking things down pat. Anybody know some in-depth stuff about them like, How do you hold the stick in your hand, where do you put the pressure, should the head be really tight or, are a certian type of sticks better? thanks

-b.

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:05 am 

To be honest I'm not expert at gravity blasts but I find the best grip is to hold the stick between your thumb and forefinger so that it can pivot easily. I don't think heads matter as much with gravity blasts as with regular blastbeats but I use coated ambassidor heads tightened as high as they will go. I also use a 12 or 13 inch snare drum as they have a much better response for blasting than standard 14 inch drums.
In terms of sticks I use pretty standard Vater 5A's and they don't pose a problem.
I found that the best way to get the gravity blast down is to relax and don't think about it too much. If you hold the stick like I said, and position it correctly at the start of blasting section (with the balance point resting on the rim) then you should be able to just do it without too much thought. The real problem is when you try it on a full kit haha - can't help you there!

Nacherer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:45 am 

Drummers!
I've been playing drums for 16-17 years, using Tama drums, Paiste+Sabian cymbals-in combination,
dw double pedals, Remo sticks (this is my 3rd complet btw).
my greatest influences was (to start from the begining):

[Rock, Metal]
John -Bonzo- Bonham [Led Zeppelin]
Ian Paice [Deep Purlple]
Nicko McBrain [Iron Maiden]
Lars Ulrich [Metallica]
Dave Lombardo [Slayer, Grip Inc.]
Sean Reinert [with Cynic]
Gene Hoglan [with Death]
Steve Flynn [Atheist]
Nick Barker [Cradle Of Filth, Dimmu Borgir]
Hellhammer [Mayhem, Covenant]
Trym [Emperor]

[other genres]
Billy Cobham [Jazz-Fusion artist]
Denis Chambers [Jazz-Fusion artist]
Dave Weckl [Jazz-Fusion artist]

ps: my second instrument is guitar [Jackson RR3 black with steel plate] :)

\m/_ respect _\m/

Chryxtolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:13 pm 

Hell yeah man. I've been playing for only a year and a half, but I take influences, not from other drummers, but just the music itself, but I like your lineup. Right now I have a shitty offbrand (due to my lack of :thumbsdown: $$$$$ :thumbsdown: ), but that does not stop me, although I do use Sabian Cymbals, and I've always wanted to try out Paiste Cymbals. I also have a Baby Cobra, but it's been starting to fall apart lately. Do you have any good techniques for us?

DanFuckingLucas
Witchsmeller Pursuivant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:44 pm 

I've just moved in with a drummer. I plan on learning. Are we now brethren? :D

Nacherer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:17 am 

well, first you gotta stick to it -no matter what-, and someday maybe, just maybe you''ll
become just as good [if not even better] as those drum-mayhem masters !!
i'm very glad that lack of $$$ DiD NOT stop you-[ChryXtolf] on your path of playing.
hm, you did mention something 'bout your Cobra pedal falling apart..funny, i was thinking lately
to switch my DW double pedals for Iron Cobras -and there you go :) -
[my DW's become somehow ''to heavy-to play with'',so lot of energy is spent just to keep constant
double-roll tempo with my pedals..

*question for all drummers using TAMA Iron Cobra pedal(s): do you recommend them?
i always thought cobra is very quick, flexable and easy to play with

* :) yea Heer_Beraht, those are blast beats - a classic ones
* a technique how to play fast (tempo 160+) that is not too tiring and you don't slow down ?
-we ussualy play blast-beats or 'polka'[how i say sometimes] bass+hihat, snare, repeat-that is:
our right foot on bass pedal+right hand[stick] on hi-hat or ride pounding together and our left hand[stick] on snare-contra hit
-try this way (but you must own double pedals):

*play blast-beat(polka) the same way, as we already know-as described above, only now try to use your LEFT foot too!
*when you repeatetly play blast-polka, first kick with right pedal+on hi-hat + contra hit on snare AND HERE'S THE 'TRICK':
then immediately change- second bass kick hit with left pedal+on hi-hat + contra hit on snare..
change-same as first time: right pedal+hihat & snare...change. and so on
[RP+HH snare LP+HH snare RP+HH snare ... nothing so complicated]

that's it! sure you have to practice very slow at the beginning, so you don't mix up the left & right kicks
later you will develop much more speed -this- way and stay in right tempo (not to slow down ;)
try it, perhaps would it be easier for you to play this way...if not stick on 'the old way'

Earthad1000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:17 pm 

I have owned my kit for about 5 months now, i got my double bass pedals about a month ago. Naturally i developed playing with the front of my foot(keeping my heels in the air.) I was talking with two drummer friends of mine, one who keeps his feet planted using his calf, whereas my other friend says he uses his ankles. This made me doubt my style. I was wondering should i switch it? or is whatever i do that is the most comfortable the best?

I use Iron Cobra pedals and i keep the beaters about 4 1/2 inches away. The last time i sat myself down and counted i could play full 16th notes at 100bpm no problem.Any suggestions are more then appercated.

bradddtheimpaler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:14 am 

I've seen people doing some fucked up shit drumming... sitting almost on the ground (i seem to sit quite a bit higher than most people, though.) Setting their shit up all wierd. But I play my bass drum the same way you do, so I say whatever's comfortable go with.

Metalhead696
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:38 pm 

http://myspace-077.vo.llnwd.net/01105/7 ... 8077_l.jpg
That's my set. I <3 it.

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:28 pm 

nice setup - very similar to my own... id recommend one change though, if you move your kickdrum to the right so its like the right kick in a 2 kickdrum setup, put your 3rd rack tom on it and put your other 2 toms on a seperate stand where your left kickdrum would be. I hope that makes sense... basically it makes everything much more ergonomic and therefore easier to play.

Metalhead696
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:45 pm 

Andyminion wrote:
nice setup - very similar to my own... id recommend one change though, if you move your kickdrum to the right so its like the right kick in a 2 kickdrum setup, put your 3rd rack tom on it and put your other 2 toms on a seperate stand where your left kickdrum would be. I hope that makes sense... basically it makes everything much more ergonomic and therefore easier to play.

I play that style best, i've tried that a bit, and i didn't like it.

Andyminion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:17 pm 

hey thats cool - was just a suggestion.... i started with my kit setup like yours and found it easier to play as i described above, but its best to go with what is most comfortable for yourself - thats the most important thing

Montu_Sekhmet
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:39 pm 

elTobe wrote:
Chryxtolf wrote:
Finally, a forum for the rest of us. I tried to create on in the Metal Disscusion, but that went to hell fast. Anyways, can anyone recommend me a outragiously good (not just good, outragiously, or kick-assly good) Metal drummer? Like, maybe the guy from
:headbang: Origin :headbang: ? Or better? I don't know...just trying to learn/improve some techniques. Or even if anyone has any good tips/techniques on drumming that are not too common, perhaps?

Kickass metal drummers? Hmm let's see Dave lombardo (slayer), Pete sandoval (Morbid angel), Hellhammer (Mayhem & Dimmu Borgir session-drums), Nicholas Barker (ex-Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir) and many many more

Dan Mullins from Bal Sagoth. Fastest player on th planet. Great kit sound too.

Transidium
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:14 am 

Alright! A drummer's thread.

We're never counted as musicians... (and honestly, most of us aren't... there is nothing melodical or harmonious about bang, boom, patt!)

OptimusPrime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:01 am 

This might be kind of a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I've been drumming for about 4 years and consider myself fairly proficient. However, when I'm playing the bass drum I keep my heel pretty much planted on the ground and kind of move my foot up and down from the ankle to play the bass. But whenever I see footage of any drummers playing, it looks like they lift up their whole foot to play. Am I the only one who doesn't do this and is there any real advantage to doing any particular way?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next