Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Drukne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 am 

non

Last edited by Drukne on Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:59 pm 

Sounds like you have way too much sibilance in the intro track, which didn't do much for me. In the second track, the vocals are quite distracting because they are accompanied by a distorted hissing that cuts in and out really hard when you start or stop. This also overpowers the rest of the music. The riffing sounds like there is some interesting stuff going on, and the rawness adds some charm, but it is under so much of that vocal hiss that I am reluctant to increase the volume very much. While some of the wavering volume and tempo is expected in rawer black metal some of the more extreme changes could use some flattening. Counter to that would be retaining these changed but accounting for them in the composition and using louder faster sections as a place to highlight higher energy riffs that are specific to that section.

If what you are going for in the future is oriented toward a more atmospheric sound then I would suggest a strong bass guitar section to create a wider, richer tone.

The 4th track sounds like it has a ton of clipping in the drums which make them go from raw to just poor sounding, and the problem with the vocals returns to spoil what you have going on with the riffs. The drums and vocals though could also use much more variation to highlight what you are doing melodically. Overall, some of the melodic ideas create a nice atmosphere but not much else is going on and I think this takes the rawness too far and it would be more successful at around Belketre levels but it seems like you are planning on that from the higher quality comment. The more stripped down sections also felt far too bare given how busy/noise the music is on average. It makes for rather drastic and jarring transitions in a manner that serves to detract from the atmosphere you built. On that note, the last song does not add much in my eyes in the same way that the first did not - boring riff with some talking and distracting effects lopping on top of themselves.

Good luck with the demo and on recording with the local label.

Drukne
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:20 pm 

My s/t was recorded on a Line 6 Pocket Pod. To be honest, I am not very good at editing the recordings. I am glad to get into an actual recording studio because I want a better sounding recording. The vocals were recording using a cable that was broke. I put distortion and delay on them like I did for Buried Ashes. I recorded Buried Ashes first and was trying to mimic the sound that I used on it, but the broken cable didn't help.

Reply to topic