Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Feigr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 pm 

Hi all.

So I have a black metal band that is very early-Darkthrone, early-Bathory influenced, and I would like to get a similar tone in the recordings (the tone in Transilvanian Hunger would be perfect). I have been reading some articles, but couldn't find much information on recording/mixing techniques, just that the drums were recorded with only one mic...

My recording equipment is the following:
-Ableton Live 8 recording software on my computer
-M-Audio Fast Track Pro to connect the mics/amps to the computer.
-Normal/Low quality mic for the vocals (the guitar/bass amps I connected directly to the computer with Fast Track, but I'm thinking maybe it would be a better idea to record them by placing the mic near the amp next time, maybe it would also help get a 'rawer' tone*).

Does anyone with experience have any advice for recording and having that tone/low production? How would you guys do it?

Also, when recording the drums, where do you place the mic? I used electronic drum machine for the first demo, but for the next one I'm going to play on a real drumkit.

Thanks! Oh, and in case you want to check out my band, here is the link: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Hit ... 3540351238

*I already know that the mic shouldn't be placed directly in front of the amp speaker, by the way.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 pm 

Placement of microphones should be the same as any recording. Allow for proper headspace, don't do much for mixing. Rather than keeping the guitar EQ closer to the middle like you would if you were EQing in post-production, turn up the treble a bit and don't mix it. Basically, learn how to record instruments as you normally would, just do a bit more EQing on the amps than you normally would - cut the treble on the bass, boost the treble on the guitars.

Reply to topic