Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
harmonixer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm 

I recently upgraded to 11's, and have been loving them. Speed picking and legato are easier to perform, and I haven't been bending to far like before. I'm wondering if anyone else has had the experience of thicker strings being easier for legato, as when I hear people talking I hear the opposite.

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:26 am 

I guess it really depends on your finger strength and what tuning you use. Tuning down can make your strings very slack on thiner strings, which can cause you to bend too far, or without even wanting to.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:39 am 

For shredders, a scalloped guitar and 0.9's are enough to rip the fretboard onto pieces!

Depends what're you playing, how and the tuning.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:09 pm 

It really depends on your tuning, how heavy the strings are, and what kind of stuff you play. In one way, it is easier to go faster with heavier strings because, for instance, .11s tuned to E standard will be much tighter than .09s, so as you pick, the strings won't bounce around as much, allowing for a more precise attack. This I found is a benefit if you are doing something like 2nd wave black metal. However, because the strings are tighter, it takes more effort to move the strings, thus you are exerting yourself a bit more, and can lead to muscle fatigue. I found this particularly the case when doing a lot of string jumping. For instance, the main riff of Sepultura - Beneath the Remains was nearly impossible for me to play at speed when I put .11s on my guitar.

I would say try each way for about a week, and see what works better for you. It is really all in how you play.

Reply to topic