Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 am 

First things first: I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this challenge. On average, we usually get about 12 songs per compilation. This one yielded the same number of songs (8) as the summer one from last year. Perharps summer isn't an ideal time for songwriting? Who knows. Anyways, I'm not complaining, because we still got some good shit right here.

So like I said, 8 songs (3 of them received on the day before the extended deadline :P) and whoa there! Let's not forget about the artwork! Who got what, you say?

CorpseFister: You got a photograph of a place called "Nejmeh Square" taken during the Lebanese Civil War (Author and year uncertain)
Flesh_Bag: Death of the Pharaoh's Firstborn Son by Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1872)
guitartheist: Mindscape or Virtual Reality Dreamscape by George Grie (2008)
nyarlathotepmusic: Modern Rhapsody by Salvador Dalí (1957)
RageW: Nymphes et Satyre by William Adolphe Bouguereau (1873)
ShaolinLambKiller: Le Charmeur de Serpent by Jean-Léon Gérôme (1880)
wight_ghoul: Le Cycle Abominable by Anne Van Der Linden (2006)
and of course... Zodijackyl (after redraw): Prager Straße by Otto Dix (1920)

Most of the participants have already included the notes/lyrics/analysis for their songs. If something's missing, it can be added later on in this thread of course.

So what are you waiting for? Download the compilation HERE and enjoy.

Now then, we know what everyone got, and we've listened to what everyone has written. What's left? Why, the reviews of course. Five important things to consider:
- Avoid one-liners.
- Avoid one-liners.
- Talk about composition, performance/execution, and production.
- Talk about how well you think the song and lyrics as a whole relate to the corresponding art piece.
- Everyone's invited to review.

And that's it! Now get to it lads.

PS: Forget about the booklet, as there's a couple of copyrighted works up there.

Last edited by kingnuuuur on Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:06 am 

Good job everyone who submitted a song! I'll write up some reviews over the next few days as I listen.

Also, I already noticed something wrong with my song. I think soundcloud’s compression did something funny- my master sounds fine but on the uploaded version there is a spot that clips. Bah! Oh well, I’ll fix it later and just live with it for now.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am 

Oh yeah! I've been waiting. I'll write reviews this time (assuming the fact that anyone, even outside those who collaborates will be able to write reviews)

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am 

Downloaded it and I'm listening. Could you post which pieces of artwork were assigned to each person? Not all of them mention it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:53 pm 

Yeah, it would be cool to know who got what. Also, is this everyone that came through...five songs? (it turned out that it glitched and not all of them appeared, but I found them)

ShaolinLambKiller - Yzordderrex - Serpent.

This is typical Yzordderex. Really slow downtuned, Khanate-ish riffs, with occasional faster sections. The crushing death metal tremolo riffs were cruel and well executed, as were the vocals (lows and grim highs). As usual, the tone was very heavy. The drums didn't really do much except stop some sections from falling into disarray and being too drony. I'm curious as to what artwork this was based on.

Guitartheist - The Sailing Room

I liked how this started and it made me very interested in where it was going. I wasn't disappointed. The riffs were very good! You have an interesting riffing style. Would I be wrong in stating that you're not usually a vocalist? You did pretty well though. Nothing was off key or anything. The sweeps were epic, but they seemed to kind of come out of nowhere. The drums were cool too, sounding proggy in certain sections. The chorus was quite catchy, keep it up.

Corpsefister - Four Forty

This was...DBSM, I think. It had a very depressing feel with the fuzzyness and the effect (distortion?) on the vocals. The song didn't seem to have guitars at all though, just a layer of static. Which was weird to me. IT did seem to have bass. The piano section was suitably tragic though. The synth melody was very good too. Overall, I did like this, but it caught me by surprise.

A Bunch Of Cool People - Dandyish Ignorance of Morbidity.

I love how Tony's French accent is super apparent even through the growls and how he seems to say BATMAN at one point :p

The death metally riffs didn't do much for me, I must admit as they just seemed to be typical tremolo stuff thrown together relatively quickly. But the Doom sections were much more effective. The leads playing behind them giving me a proper erection. As I've already told Metantoine, I didn't enjoy the spoken section (but that's more because I dislike that 99% of the time) Also the drums were very quiet and I couldn't tell you what they were doing most of the time.

wight_ghoul - La Fin Du Monde

Weak production. Didn't much like the riffs and the really loud vocals. The drums were well (played? Programmed?) but that's about it. Sorry man.

RageW - The Naiad - No Reflection

Probably my favourite song of the challenge, though Guitartheist is close behind.
It starts off with cool folk guitar and some vocals I'm not particularly fond of, but then an awesome high pitched scream comes in and so begins the 5 million riffs. I love this kind of narrative songwriting of riff after riff after riff. The solos are fucking great as well. Like all the other songs, this didn't have stand out drums though. I like Andres vocals during the more metal sections, as they fit much better and his tone is different. As I write this, 10 more riffs have gone by. Keep doing what you're doing, Andres, you are awesome. The folk influences were well integrated.

Dan Schofield - Modern Rhapsody.

DRUMS. Fucking drums. Crazy bass heavy production. Almost unintelligible riffs. Kind of random clean section. Back to unintelligible riffing. Crappy solo with crappy tone. Goes on for way too long. Not sure what you were trying to accomplish, but I don't like it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:58 pm 

Nah, we got 8. Not the best showing ever (considering there were 27 who signed up) but it's decent.

Also for the few guys who didnt do a write-up mentioning their picture and inspiration, kingnuuuur usually does a very solid wrap-up post, which I'm assuming is on it's way at some point. Otherwise the participants should post something in this thread.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:28 pm 

Some short comments, congrats to everyone. I'll listen to the songs again later and I'll add more commentaries, don't feel like doing that right now.

Corpsefister: cool DSBM song, not really a fan of the genre but it was well done and fits the image he got.

Flesh Bag: cool death/black song, nothing amazing but I liked the main riff, the vocals were a bit dull, not inspired enough in my opinion, there's many cool things you can do with the Egypt subject!

Guitartheist: really really cool song, I liked the vocals and the lyrics a lot. Some kind of prog metal with cool riffs, well done

Modern Rhapsody: meh, I only liked the ending, raw black metal is not my thing.

RageW: Can't get enough of this song, easily my fav from the challenge, the lyrics are great, the riffs and solos are awesome! Andrés is fucking great and handsome, that is all.

SLK - Serpent: Fucking crushing, very fucking good.

My song: tha best song evar. I'll improve my vocals for my project and I kinda agree that the spoken part was too long.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:21 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Corpsefister - Four Forty

This was...DBSM, I think.

Haha, yeah I am kinda pushing it. The thing with the guitars is two fold- I do want to create a giant, hazy, washed out wall of synths and guitars, but also I'm not very experienced with playing or producing guitar so I'm not entirely sure how to best go about it. I think I'm getting closer to what I want to do but I'm definitely curious to see what everyone thinks and how I can improve on it.

Anyway, I'll be a bit writing up some thorough reviews for everyone but so far there is some really cool stuff here guys!

ps- thanks once again to kingnuuuur for hosting and posting, and just being a swell guy all around!

Last edited by newp on Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:26 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Also for the few guys who didnt do a write-up mentioning their picture and inspiration, kingnuuuur usually does a very solid wrap-up post, which I'm assuming is on it's way at some point. Otherwise the participants should post something in this thread.

Yeah I'm back and I've updated the OP. Didn't want to keep people waiting.

nyarlathotepmusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Dan Schofield - Modern Rhapsody.

DRUMS. Fucking drums. Crazy bass heavy production. Almost unintelligible riffs. Kind of random clean section. Back to unintelligible riffing. Crappy solo with crappy tone. Goes on for way too long. Not sure what you were trying to accomplish, but I don't like it.

Just an FYI, the solo in the middle of the song is actually a Saxophone with a ton of distortion thrown on it, not a guitar thus hoping to shed some light on the tone issues. I knew a long time ago and still am well aware of today that I am not a good guitar player but I figured that part needed a solo in there. So voila, metal saxophone lol.

I have to go back to work so I will probably come up with some proper reviews later but I wanted to thank Kingnuuuuuur for putting this challenge together. I haven't written anything music wise for a few years and it was a welcome challenge and I had a lot of fun doing it.

PS I've been listening to the songs and so far I LOVE the Corpsefister and Shaolinlambkiller tunes :-D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:41 pm 

thanks all thus far! I didn't even think about doing a write up and including all that with my song. i just was focused on getting it completed and mixed before I left town again.

I'm downloading now with my shitty hotel connection with my shitty laptop.

I won't be as harsh with production this time around cause mainly I don't have much bass to pump out of these shitty speakers on this shit (I don't think I've said shit enough)

but I'm going to write up my thoughts whenever it's done and write up further how I came to the song I presented.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:13 pm 

Here are my reviews and this is probably the best crop of songs overall that we have heard I think.

CorpseFister- Really enjoy this song. I actually can hear a bit of the bass even on my crappy speakers so I'm pretty glad about that. Nothing mixwise sounds out of place. I really love the piano piece at 2:40ish and the synth bubbling up and the swells. It's extremely fitting for the picture and reading about why you did certain things adds to it. The vocals are perfect for this, not overly screechy just the right amount of desperation and sorrow to seep through. I usually don't listen to this style all that often but if you did a whole album or maybe just an ep I'd def pick it up. Love it, hell for me it could've gone on even longer but it's still a good length.

Fleshbag- Okay laughed about why you picked what you wrote about. hilarious I was almost in the same boat which I'll later explain. The tremlo I do like. Def does sound epyptianish. I'm not really digging the chuggy stompy shit. Also that seems a bit sloppy. I kinda think the guitar tone is rather weak or too clean. I haven't decided really. And I really think the kicks sound like a typewritter though programmed well enough, gets the job done. I think the vocals are a tad high and could use some reverb. And I have no clue if there is bass if there is I don't hear it. I think if there was further development on this and some real drums and different productions on it.. I'd dig it more. Overall fits the picture.

guitartheist- Okay almost thought the begining was a Tool song. not that it's bad or anything but that's immediately what I thought of. Once the song kicks in it's pretty much exactly what I thought it should sound like based on the picture. The vocals are a bit loud for my tastes and honestly I don't particularly like them. I'm not a fan of cleans ingeneral but in certain circumstances or if they are really exceptional. Love the solo that goes on and on.. just some awesomeness. I kinda think the drums are a bit too dry sounding sorta disconnect from the song in the mix for me. All the guitar playing is great and some solid riffs and interesting ideas. I'd def would listen to more of this style but if there were some different or really ripping ass clean soaring vocals. I guess I don't like tenors all that much.

nyarlathotepmusic- hahah love the dialtone at the begining cause I was just getting done texting my wife and that happened when I shut the phone I had to check to see if it was the phone and then restart the song. I really love how spastic yet gritty and nasty this is. I actually love the nasty distorted vocals and then following the sorta broken ass clean section that's just slightly off I'm not sure if that's on purpose but I enjoy it. That part sorta reminds me of shit that dragbody and the august prophecy would do. Overall this reminds me of old 2000 era dirty filthy metalcore that was spastic and didn't love at the gates so fucking much. it also has a sorta sludgy sound reminds me of the lesser known nola bands like stressball and system red. if the drums were a bit more natural esp in the snare department i'd love it even more. Sorta fits i guess cause it's not totally over the top spastic like how the painting reads to me but i love and studied Dali so that's my own interpretation. I love this thick ass groove around the 4min mark. This just dominates in awesomeness. the end clean stuff actually reminds me of early btbam...like self titled style. please do more styled like this. I can't wait to go home to listen to this one.

RageW- Goddamn that fucking high scream that really fucking grabbed me. I was digging on the folky stuff and the clean vocals came in and i liked them cause of the higher register and fuck gold that scream. and fuck yes this raging riff... i wish you milked it a bit more with some vocals snarling clean over it but i love some good soloing and just damn you were right about riffs all over everything. Damn this is just awesome as hell, it has really won me over making me eat my words from earlier about not liking cleans. really impressed this bass isn't live and it's programmed. And really impressed this isn't mixed at all it's perfectly mixed sounding to me. Everything sounds like it's in the proper place and I love the more lively sound to it than what a polish would do for it. And for it being 8 minutes i don't even find it long winded. I guess the only part i'm not really digging is the lute or flute thing around 6:45 cause the melody clashes for me against the guitars. and around 7:30 you should've milked that duel harmony even more and expand it for another minute. Great song.

wight_ghoul- I'm not digging the drums cause they are really weak sounding. Programming is great but the actual tons used are just too tinny for me. This style def needs some more ball-sy heft to it. The tone of the guitar I actually like, and if there was a bit more meat to it or a huge nasty ass bass clangy around. I don't dig the vocals around 2mins. It's like a joke dm band making sure everyone hears their lyrics so they can appreciate the humor. I just don't dig em nor the lyrics at least during that part. This could be a pretty damn good osdm grind away, kinda disappointed it just fads out instead of developing a real ending like with a slow section since it was winding down (building up?) to that in my head. I can appreciate the interrpretation of the image to what you wrote. overall pretty nice, id def would like to hear some more with some of the changes I meantioned. Oh I really like all the vocals up to the 'we can fuck on your period' part

Zodijackyl, Metantoine & IX Leviathan- I'm loving the guitars and vocals. but the drums are non-existent in this mix. Maybe it's just my speakers but I literally only hear the smallest amount of snare and hihats. I'm not digging the slower riff at 1min cause it's kinda like it went all stoner rock in the middle of the death metal. I mean it's a good riff but it just doesn't work. I feel I'm not listening to a totally new song. I restarted to listen to see if it's me. No I still don't like how it just hammers to it. the begining almost sounds like portal during outre cause of the lack of drums and it's almost a blur of guitar with vocals that aren't really on a set timing. I also don't like spoken word in anything and there isn't any eating my words on that. i've never liked it even when it was some speech buildup in a hardcore song to a breakdown. i really prefer the first minute of this song over the rest. Seems a little rushed and forced. Once this project gathers it's focus I'd be more interested in hearing that output. I see how you got to the point of why you got to the point of creation of the song but judging just on the picture I wouldn't have expected it.

I'll write my my bullshit in a moment.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:40 pm 

Okay with my first thought was when I saw my picture was... "great I get to write about dirty peasant pedophiles while a naked boy gets molested by a snake... I think I might have to redraw" But instead of redrawing I decided to work with it and see what I can make happen based completely just on the art itself. so I did no research, just staring at it. I thought of going with the middle eastern death metal theme but i thought that would be a bit too typical and expected plus what would my lyrics be? "I SURE LOVE SOME BOY DICK AND SNAKE JUICE" So I withdrew from it and then came back and thought on it some more (couldn't actually hash out any riffs or anything since this was all while I was out of town so I could think of a concept of riffs. I pretty much thought of a crawling sorta creepy riff which turned out to be the reoccuring riff through out the song in different forms. With that in mind I took that I'd focus more on the snake in the picture instead of the picture as a whole, and then it started coming together much easier. I though of the boy more of an offering in which is a sacrifice to the snake which in this instance is viewed as a god or representation of a god. And when i started writing the overall feel of the song felt like it could easily fit in the yzordderrex discography so that also helped shaped the riffs and the layout of the song even more.

the song broken down:
the opening, feedback and all is basically the calling of the snake forth... in this instance from the basket the change around 2min is the snake making it's appearrance and inspecting it's victim. Reaching the 4min mark which is the tremlo death metal sounding section is the entwinement of the snake and victim... the interaction between them so to speak. Going on to the 6min mark is where the snake starts to take it's victim, i viewed as a slow suffocating death, crushing. At 8mins you get the repeation of the dm riffing which morphs into the slower plucking of it. Basically the snake going in for the finalization of the kill. upon 10:30 is the last choking breaths of the victim the refrain at 11:30 is the funeral dirge of the ritual completed.

I have no lyrics to share since I left them at home... most likely in my damn shed were I recorded.

same ol set up as all other yzordderrex:
Sunn Enforcer, Dean 7 string guitar tuned to G standard
Ampeg svt4pro or whatever the fuck I keep getting that mixed up I'll correct it later
Epiphone thunderbird 4 string bass tuned to G ran though original russian green Big Muff
7piece tama drum kit miced out with shure drum mic set
vocals and guitars/bass all recorded with shure 57
recorded to reaper, mixed in Cool Edit Pro 2.0

MoonPenatrator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:24 am 

Before I start reviewing, I just want to say that even though I promised myself I'd finish this one, I couldn't because of some bullshit that came up. However, I will finish and post it on the forum sometime because I do want the criticism and also for people to listen to it. I'LL FINISH IT I TELL YOU! I WILL FINISH THE FUCKING SONG!

CorpseFister:
- I really like the overall vibe for this song. Definitely some Nocturnal Depression influence, maybe mixed with some Agalloch? Anyway, very atmospheric, depressing (like DSBM should be), and overall well written. I look at the image while I'm listening to the song and I read the background and how you went along writing this. Good production overall, I really digged the synth the piano and the drums, however, I felt that the guitar was lacking (though I know you said you are new at recording them) and could have been a bit more powerful but not too much to take away from the vibe I mentioned earlier.

Flesh_Bag:
- I like everything about this song, except the vocals. Sorry bud. However, I really liked the story and the lyrics. I also really thought it matched the picture in a sense, now that I see where you're coming from. The production I also thought was very thin, and lacked some power that I personally like in my black metal. The composition I thought was definitely the best part of the song, very smooth. Oh, also, I like that the drums weren't just straight forward blasting and that there were some interesting fills in it.

guitartheist:
- Ok, I think this is definitely the best song for me on this thing. Very clean production, and I like this style of vocals. I like the (progressive?) sound. Reminds me of Rush actually :P just more metal. I don't know what to say, I really like all aspects of the song
and I don't think I could do better than that. Just wow. I might be a bit progressive metal biased here but hey, it's all about personal opinion.

nyarlathotepmusic:
- This is also pretty fucking good. Reminds me of Atheist and some Opeth in the beginning but with some prog/black metal influence. So the main thing I really like about this song which separates it from the others is how heavy the bass is. It's been done very well as far as mixing goes, though I think the guitar could also be a bit more out there, but the depth of the bass makes up for it. The flow was pretty good, and the music and lyrics were done pretty well for the most part. A job well done.

RageW:
- Some epic Manowar-esque shit going on here in the beginning, and I love it even when it changes to the Running Wild power metal madness. The production was done overall pretty good. I could tell the bass was programmed though because of it's lack of depth, but that's ok, without a real bass watcha gonna do? The vocals were really powerful. Very 80's -esque. I liked the acoustic parts of the song alot in the middle, where it goes back to a more folky Manowar kind of feel. Overall very powerful song, and fit the brightness of the picture very well, not being a dark song. And way to keep a 7 minute power metal song interesting, something a lot of bands can't do!

SLK:
- Sounds very raw, in good way. This isn't my walk in the park but that's just my taste/preference. That being said, I was able to enjoy most of the song. I'm not into the raw OSDM/Death Doom (I think that's what it is?) kind of stuff. However, I feel like this song matches the picture the way I picture it. At first when it's slow, the snake is coming out slowly, and builds suspense. Then when the snake does it's dance at the fast part, I can feel the audience reacting. Anyway, you didn't really publish the lyrics so I can't say anything is for sure, that's just the vibe I get. As I said, not really my walk in the park, but it still found a place in my ears.

wight_ghoul:
- Again, not my walk in the park, but still was able to enjoy it. I liked your take on the picture. Really fucking brutal hahahaha. The production was dark and heavy, as appropriate. I don't really know what else to say though, as I'm not very knowledgeable on this music, and don't know how it "should" sound other than what I already provided. In short, I thought it was good.

Zodijackyl:
- This song probably was the most diverse song. It had the most going on in it in the sense of musical influence. It had some melodic parts and straight up heavy parts, slow parts as well as fast parts, and the narrated lyrics added a cool vibe to it. It was a godo last song to hear. You didn't provide the lyrics, so I don't know how to comment on that. I did like all the songs, and this one was no exception.

This was an awesome compilation, and I will finish my song as I said. Great job to everyone here!

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:55 pm 

Corpsefister: Great atmosphere created by the initial echoing clock. Kick drum is too quiet for my taste. Vocals fit the music well, guitar tone is iffy but fits into the overall atmosphere. You start adding more harmonic complexity at the perfect time. Repetition of long sections reminds me of Opeth in a good way. By about the halfway point it's clear you've totally nailed the image you were assigned. The synths+drums only section is pretty great. I like how you keep the melodic theme from that as you bring the guitars back. Good ending.

Fleshbag: Thin. Interesting bridge, not a fan of this style, and I don't agree with your interpretation of the art. It doesn't sound like you added bass (even programmed), that would've made the song thicker, and some reverb/delay or multitracking would've helped the vocals a lot as well.

Mine: In retrospect I would've mixed the drums a little higher and my vocals a little lower. I am teaching myself to sing and right now I've got decent pitch control but not much tone/expression control. I'm pretty proud of the rest of the production and composition.

nyarlathotepmusic: It's clear right out of the gate that you've nailed the image. Very interesting drum programming, raw production but not terrible, I can tell what's going on and enjoy listening to rapid evolution of your riffing and harmonic structure. Great use of rhythm and jazz theory, classy saxophone solo. Awesome transitions throughout, I like this one a lot.

RageW: You nailed your picture with your intro, and the production isn't great but definitely not bad. You have a ton of riffs and while I don't find any of them outstanding they are all good and fit together well. Good use of programmed folk instruments throughout, though the execution sounds stiff - if you have a midi editor that lets you "humanize" the notes that would've helped. Solid song though not a style I prefer.

ShaolinLambKiller: Very heavy, great tones and mix for what you were going for. I'm not a fan of this style but everything sounds solid, good harmonic and rhythmic progression, it's awesome that you were able to create an entry with zero programming. I think an atonal solo or wider dynamic shift (quiet/loud changes) would've help break this song up some since it is a 12 minute song with no use of silence. Overall liked this one.

wight_ghoul: Fits the picture, but the production is very weak. Louder bass and less of a scooped guitar tone would've helped a lot, and it doesn't sound like the drum machine has been compressed at all. I'm so-so on this one, partially since it's not a style I normally listen to.

Zodijackyl: This was hard to listen to because the drums are there but just barely. The general chaos fits the picture but beyond that I can't really say much. The playing is pretty rhythmically disjointed, stronger drums would probably help.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm 

MoonPenatrator wrote:
Zodijackyl:
- This song probably was the most diverse song. It had the most going on in it in the sense of musical influence. It had some melodic parts and straight up heavy parts, slow parts as well as fast parts, and the narrated lyrics added a cool vibe to it. It was a godo last song to hear. You didn't provide the lyrics, so I don't know how to comment on that. I did like all the songs, and this one was no exception.

hum, of course the lyrics are there, btw I'm on this song...

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:36 pm 

Hey, so a huge thanks to everyone so far for the positive comments on my song, really appreciated! I still have a lot to work on and I'm looking forward to what everyone else thinks, but I feel like I'm moving in the right direction.

I fucked something up though- I had the snare a touch hot in the first half of the song, and while it sounds fine running in my DAW something about the way it rendered out with the limiter it caused a bit of clipping when the snare and vocals were sounding together. It doesn't seem enough to put people off the song but it does irritate the fuck out of me, so I'm gonna touch that up and post a slighty corrected version for anyone who might listen to the song again.

Oh and if anyone wondered, there are actual lyrics to my song but being a DSBM musician I’m all tormented and angst-ridden so I keep them private. Jokes, they are actually pretty damn basic so I didn’t bother posting them.

So, on to reviews! First off, high fives all around to those who got a song in. Some good stuff here boyos! I tend to approach these reviews from the perspective of another musician, so I try to find the strengths in the songs and also comment on how I think it could be improved, or the things I would do if I was working on it. There were a few tracks where the drums needed some work but I mostly didn't mention it because I'm sure if it was possible everyone would prefer to have an actual drummer on their track.

Flesh_Bag – Regicide

The production on this one is rather thin unfortunately. You definitely need a bass guitar in there and I think the style would suit a thicker, meatier guitar tone. Maybe multi-tracking the guitar and mixing one track with more presence in the slow end would beef it up. The vocals are also not quite what they could be- I’ve never been crazy about the super raspy style but I still think these could have had a bit more power. It would have also been nice to get some reverb on them too.

The riffs themselves though are pretty good! Nothing mind blowing but I did like how you moved into that second section with a bit more of stompy vibe to the drums. It’s a nice switch up that keeps the song from being just standard blastfest black metal. Seems like the guitar was well played too, sounds tight during the fast sections.

You’re interpretation of the picture is kind of amusing, although I definitely think there were many other directions you could have gone with it. All in all, not to bad- thicker production would definitely improve the end result, but there are still some good riffs to enjoy here.

Guitartheist – The Sailing room

This song is solid as hell man! You’ve done a good job creating something to suit the image you got. Really nice job with the production- in particular the vocals seem have been really well recorded and produced. The mix is great, everything is clear and you’ve really filled up the aural space. This isn’t quite a style I usually go for but overall I found this to be one of the catchiest songs in the competition- I found myself humming the chorus vocal last night while doing the dishes. There are a few spots where it seems your vocal performance could be tightened up a bit but you’ve got a good voice and it works great for this style of music. Keep it up!

I’m not a huge fan of the proggy bit around 2:30, but the section that follows is killer. I really like the round, slightly synthy effect you applied to the guitar that’s panned left. Really nice work as you roll back into the chorus with that lead guitar.

This is probably one of my favorite entries, which is a bit odd since I don’t really listen to any proggy metal. Or even any metal with clean vocals for that matter haha. Capital job sir!

Nyarlathotepmusic – Modern Rhpasody

I rather like this one. It’s a bit of an oddball, the second riff in the first section seems to be almost a mix of rocking groove and black metal- it totally works though!

Really dig the vocals- they’ve got that Leviathan dry croak feel to them and you’ve pulled it off pretty well. I think they could come up in the mix a bit, or even have a touch more body. Have you ever listened to Antediluvian? They do something similar, but then they’ve got a low growl going along with the dry croak. It’s pretty cool. But still, I like the vocals.

The production is really heavy- just a touch too bottom heavy I think. I think that bass guitar could have used a multi-band compressor to reign it in a touch, especially in the last section of the song you can hear it dampening the other instruments as its plucked. Pretty minor though- overall I thought the bottom heavy, crunchy sound really suited the unique vibe you had going on.
Upon first listen I found the clean guitar section to be really odd but listening to it while looking at the image brings it together. I think you’ve done a decent job getting the vibe of the bizarre imagery while not going overboard. That clean section at the end adds to it as well, kind of like each section represents a different part of a rather strange image. I’ll admit to knowing very little about Salvador Dali, but I thought this song did a solid job of representing the image.

RageW – The Naiad

I will say upfront, power metal is not my jam but this is clearly well executed. The intro to this song is flowery as shit however once the riffs kick in, it definitely has some punch. Your wail as the guitars kick in is pretty awesome.

I rather liked the clean section in the middle- some nice melodies in there. You've packed an impressive amount of riffs into this song, it's definitely not lacking in the writing department. I feel like there were a few spots where your vocals could have been a bit tighter, but you've clearly got taltent. Maybe this was a different style for you or it just needs a bit of practice, but overall it sounds like you've got the pipes to be a serious front man.

As far as fitting the image, I'd say this is pretty spot on, especially all the flutes and what not. In fact, I'm not really sure anything but some folky, flowery stuff would do ha.

SLK – Serpent

Once again, completely monsterous track sir. I think I might have a bit less to say about this one that some of the others because you clearly know what sound you are going for and are good at executing it. Guitar tone is huge, vocals sound good (your dry rasps seemed to have gotten better since the first stuff I heard from you). The mix is nice and full without being cluttered or anything, which is something challenging for some people but I think you’ve got it nailed. Thick and enveloping, which is perfect for your style.

It’s cool how you broken down the different sections to represent different actions of the snake- really neat idea. The image doesn’t immediately strike me as suiting a song that’s quite so grimey and heavy but I can see your interpretation and how you ended up where you did.

Wight_ghoul – La Fin Du Monde

I gotta say, I enjoyed this song. When I first read the lyrics I was a bit puzzled by the complete contrast between parts one and two- I thought ‘how is that gonna work in a song’. I was pleasantly surprised though. I really enjoyed the first section and when that more rocking riff kicks in and you break out that Lemmy-ish voice for the shouts of ‘fuck on her period fuck on her period’ I broke into a big smile. It’s almost like Lemmy meets Macho Man Randy Savage. I actually wish that section had gone on longer rather than returning to the churning death riff. Some people might not totally dig it but metal doesnt always have to be serious- that's just some fun shit right there.

But yeah, all in all pretty good. I dig that first riff, classic churning death metal. Your vocal performance is strong too, you’ve got a forceful, in your face tone. I do feel like the guitars could have taken up more space in the mix- they seem too centered and could maybe benefit from being double tracked and then panned away from each other to create a wider tone. As it stands they could definitely be heavier and bigger.

It was definitely a unique interpretation of the picture, but I kinda like it. The production could improve, but all in all I dig this one.

Zodijackyl, Metantoine, IX Leviathan - Dandyish Ignorance of Morbidity

I felt like this one was let down a bit by the production. The drums are almost inaudible, to the point where it sounds somewhat strange. I do really dig that first riff, and the guitar tone is pretty solid. The vocals are pretty good too, although they sound a bit under-practiced. Maybe just another take or a few over dubs in a bit more of a proper recording setup might do the trick. For the most part pretty good, and unlike a few others I rather like the spoken word section.

There is a nice progression to the song, the writing is great. It’s pretty unexpected to flow from that twisted, grimey death metal riff into a Sabbathy doom vibe like that, so well done. I like the harmonized guitars around 1:50 before that lead comes in. The lyrics also seem pretty good, although I’m not familiar with some of the references.

Overall this wasn’t one of my favorite songs, but again I think that more had to do with some of the execution, as the writing seems really quite good. Better drums, bit less of a raw production and I think this one would be a real stand out.

Last edited by newp on Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:43 pm 

Yeah, I've been practicing the vocals recently, I'm a novice obviously, always had a good voice/range since I was in theater classes in high school. If you have any questions about the lyrics, feel free to PM me or join the chat, I'm always there.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 pm 

Keep it up man! You've obviously got the pipes for it and more learned/historical lyrics are always a plus.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:07 am 

Thanks everyone for the great reviews!! I greatly appreciate it! Already looking forward to the next one!

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 am 

Hello all...

This challenge has successfully awoken me from my MA slumber! This is a very creative concept for a songwriting challenge, and I've found the variety of the submissions along with the interpretations of the artwork to be quite impressive. I'll post some thorough reviews once I have a chance to go through the songs with a little bit more depth.

Thanks to all who submitted.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:02 pm 

Dude! Get your ass in on the next one, I still really like your submission from the random lyric challenge.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:47 pm 

Another more reviews from some of the other participants?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:02 pm 

Yea we got 6 reviews and 2 of them aren't even people who participated (thank you for taking the time to listen and tell us your thoughts) apparently it's a bit hard for even those who participated to even comment.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:19 pm 

I'll be listing them in the order they appeared in iTunes (which wasn't how they were listed in the folder), so pardon any confusion. kingnuuuur, is the listing in the OP the order you intended them to be heard in? Favorites were chosen not by song alone, but quality along with suitability to the piece.

'Four Fourty' : I think it could have been slower, even. The atmosphere was there, the concept was strong and it meshed with the art very well. Still .. the pace felt hurried. A corpse is very still. A picture of a corpse is yet more still. Really the only thing moving is one's thoughts and almost distant emotions. It should have moved with the pace of long-settled dust, with even more longing and extension of timeless mourning. But don't change the vocals .. those were good.

'Dandyish Ignorance of Morbidity': Definitely felt rushed, as the text explains. I'd like to see what you guys would flesh out if you did it again with more time. I can .. kinda see how it goes with the art piece, the lyrics have more to do with that than the music, but I know Zodijackyl wasn't that into it to begin with. I'd have put some effects on the vocals (maybe making him sound like he's coming out of a loud speaker), but I like the lyrics. The unpredictable vocal cadence was probably my favorite part beside the change into the doom section, which I liked well. It felt like a sketch of a song to me, and I think it as a whole song would have been good.

'La Fin du Mond': I ended up really liking this song, though at first I didn't. The blunt line work and staring facial expression of the woman worked with the sketchy illustration of the song's arrangement and production. Everything was flat but interesting, with the texture of the production feeling dusted by graphite and about as careful in its crafting as the artist with the piece. The piece was rough, and so was the song, each remaining meaningful in its sarcasm. Actually ended up being the most emotionally provoking one, surprisingly.

'Serpent': Really good production and quality top to bottom. But apart from the vocals sometimes reminding me of a snake, I couldn't relate it to the painting. No text was included from him, so the concept remained opaque. Maybe it was an abstracted inspiration of the snake spirit burrowing into a resistant consciousness, itself eventually becoming the immense and terrifying hypnotizer? I had to hide the painting so I could enjoy the song. Seconding Tony's "very fucking crushing." This was my favorite song alone, but can't be my favorite submission for the challenge.

'The Naiad': Well conceived, skilled guitar work and structure. The opening vocals definitely needed more takes to iron out the inaccuracies, and this plagued the whole track. Good high notes, throughout. I don't know if he does this regularly of if this was a lark, but it sounds like he has a knack for the style. Compelling harmonies, proper power riffs, and caught the galloping, light-hearted and clean spirit of the painting. The primary vocals left me significantly wanting because the rest of the song was quite good. It would have beat 'Modern Rhapsody' if the vocals had been on point.

'Modern Rhapsody': Dali's painting holds a lot of intensity, but no dread. This song accomplishes similar contrasts with a lurching and aware awkwardness, the recognition of the vocals about as substantial as the fire of the manes. Well conceived and well executed. I want to hear the rest of the album! .. if there were one. *snap*
(favorite.)

'The Sailing Room': I didn't like the song much until I saw the picture, and then it made perfect sense. All the production needed was more gloss. Good riffs, decently produced (though lacking the hyperbolic polish of the fairly gaudy art piece) and capably played. Not my kind of music, but a well-made song.

'Regicide': another that didn't go with the art hardly at all, and my least favorite song. I'm not into this kind of black metal, so it was an uphill climb from the beginning. Thin and fairly uninteresting in both riffs and vocals.

Cheers & Thanks! :beer:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 pm 

Thank you for the reviews! And I'm really glad you really liked mine! i didn't even think about it when I sent it being in a bit of a frenzy of recording and seeing what all else I could get done, I did include an explaination on why and how the song is laid out a bit earlier in this thread, not that I expected everyone to know that firsthand.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:42 am 

Right, I'd forgotten about that. heh .. in that case you really hit the nail on the head. It felt like you'd decided to tell a different story entirely with the snake as the main character. When the track started, I wasn't looking at the painting, and I expected to see some volcanic leviathan. I was baffled by what the picture actually was, and preferred your version, so I just hid the picture. Nice work. Substantial production, and I liked the lizard-worm vocals.

+
CorpseFister (about La Fin du Mond) wrote:
It’s almost like Lemmy meets Macho Man Randy Savage. - that's just some fun shit right there.

haha! :lol: not wrong!

GeoCO3
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:35 pm 

MY REVIEWS:

Four Forty by Corpsefister

Very cool take on the image. I feel like it captures the sadness of the situation mixed with the harshness of the war in which it occurred. It seems like Corpsefister tried to write something that was very honest to the image, and I think it shows through.

There's very little to say about this song that hasn't been said already, mostly beacuse it was done so solidly that there are very few critiques to make. Everything seems to sit precisely where it should in the mix. The song-writing is stellar as I feel like no individual part goes on too long while the whole song drags just enough to establish some serious atmosphere. Perhaps the guitars are a bit too fuzzy and end up clashing with the keyboards instead of enhancing them.

I probably enjoyed this song the most of the entire challenge.

Regicide by Pallor Mortis (Flesh_Bag)

I thought this was a very clever take on the image, and because of that, I ended up enjoying the song more than I otherwise might have. We all have different relationships with artwork, and I think frustration with art is a very common feeling (at least for me). I thought it was a very bold choice to take the song in that direction, and Flesh_Bag deserves credit for not faking it.

Musically, I don't think I can add much more than what others have already said, except that I thought the guitarwork was solid and the guitar tone was very fitting. The drums just seemed so distant the whole time, and I felt that the song didn't come off as strong as it should've because of this.

The Sailing Room by Guitarthiest

This song supplied a very interesting interpretation of the image and seemed to embody it well both lyrically and musically. I'm not going to act like I completely understand what Guitarthiest was trying to convey with the lyrics, but to me they dealt with our concept of time as seen through the lens of sea-travel. This matches well with the image.

The song is well performed and cleanly produced. I really enjoyed the guitar flourishes (especially on the chourses), they were technical while still remaining tasteful and fitting for the song. While the melodies and harmonies were both very good, the vocals need a bit more forcefulness. All in all, I thought this was an extremely solid song.

Modern Rhapsody by Nyarlathotepmusic

It seems like a lot of thought went into how best to represent the image musically, and since that was the purpose of this challenge, I thought it did a great job in that regard. The dial tone was a very cool touch and helped to tie the song back to the image without being slap-your-face obvious. I had an entirely different interpretation of the image, but the cool part of this challenge is hearing what other people think when they see the same image.

This song felt like focused chaos to me. It had its highly dissonant moments, but the whole time remained flowing and even flat-out melodic. The ending is probably the most interesting musical moment of the entire challenge to me. However, the drums feel a bit artificial at times, particularly the snare hits. I really liked this song though, and I would be very interested in hearing more of this.

The Naiad by No Reflection (RageW)

I personally didn't see an overwhelmingly strong connection between the song and the image except for the lyrics, but from reading RageW's description of his song-writing process, he used some freedom in his interpretation of the image because he found little context for the image. There are connections to be made however as others have pointed out, but nothing seemed to obviously connect for me.

This is an extremely impressive submission full of a lot of really good things that many people have touched upon already. I thought the entire song was handled very professionally and with a great deal of talent. The guitar-work is flashy without being too over-the-top, and the drums and bass are both programmed well. These are probably the most daring vocals of all submissions, and RageW's definitely got some serious pipes. However, there are several parts where the melodies could be much tighter. My advice would be to keep pushing those vocals just like you are, they're awesome, but maybe plan out your melodies a bit better or don't settle with early takes if you aren't happy with them (6:05). Also, I can't believe the song is over 8 minutes long, it does a great job of being highly dynamic while still retaining some sort of cohesiveness, which is a very difficult task to accomplish.

The Serpent by ShaolinLambKiller

At first I thought that the song had little to no connection with the image. It turns out that I just have a completely different interpretation of the image than ShaolinLambKiller. Upon reading his description, not only could I totally buy it, but I thought it did a really good job of conveying the story he was trying to tell. If you haven't read SLK's description, do so now, and then listen to the song again. It dramatically changed my perspective.

The song is the most organic on the entire challenge and not only for the obvious reason that it is the only song that does not contain programming of any sort. It also seems to grow upon itself in a very natural way. I find this song difficult to listen to due to its dissonance and pace, but due to the professionalism with which the song is put together (and the previous SLK stuff I've heard), I imagine that this song sounds very much like how SLK intended, and even though it doesn't fit my particular tastes, it's well done.

It should also be noted that this is the only song where I feel like I cannot review the way the song corresponded to the art separtely from my review of the song itself, so good job in that regard.

La Fin du Monde by wight_ghoul

Very interesting take on the image. And although the lyrics weren't necessarily something I might've come up with, I thought they showed that wight_ghoul had a clear idea of what he was trying to convey when he saw the image, and that he really had something to say about it. Unfortunately, I feel like the message is lost in this one with the second part of the lyrics because they are just so absurd. I really like how the first part of the song is about how societies in the past would ascribe supernatural meanings to totally natural processes, but the line "we can fuck on your period" in the second part of the lyrics makes the song feel immediately less serious. On the other hand, the image itself doesn't seem to take itself too seriously either, so maybe this was a conscious decision on the part of wight_ghoul.

The song was well handled technically with very good guitarwork and great drum programming, but I felt like it lost much because of its production. I would've liked for the drums to be much bigger, and for the guitars to be a little bit more spaced out in the mix. I really liked the song-writing on this one, however. I found the vocals fitting as well, but I thought they should be entirely growl, like in the first part of the song. I thought it was composed in a way that kept me interested the entire song, and I particularly liked the fading outro.

Dandyish Ignorance of Morbidity by Zodijackyl, Metantoine, and IX Leviathan

I've got to admit that this was probably the hardest art to work with of the entire challenge, and these guys made a very admirable attempt. I don't see any significant connection between the song and artwork but I also haven't read the lyrics, so I might be missing something very important.

It sounds like it was an artistic decision to maintain a low-fi production, so it seems useless to harp on it too much. However, I feel like the drums should be much higher in the mix which would help give this song a little bit more energy especially in the slower, doomier parts. Currently, I find the doomy parts are the strongest part of the song, but I think that with louder drums, the death metally parts will be the strongest part of the songs (I thought those were pretty cool riffs). The vocals seemed a bit "hushed" to me, like they were recorded quietly, but I rather enjoyed the spoken word part.

OVERALL, this challenge was really fun to listen to. It seemed like the overall quality of the submissions was pretty high this time around. I'm looking forward to the next one!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:58 pm 

Thanks for the reviews! You too Grave_Wyrm!

Also, Metantoine’s lyrics were contained in a doc file that came with the zip- you should check them out, they were definitely some of the best submitted and really worked with the art.

veilofblue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 pm 

Just discovered this challenge today, and I am completely amazed at the subject and the idea. It's brilliant! too bad I showed up late, but if there's gonna be another one like this I'm totally in!

CorpseFister: I totally dig your song. The fuzzy guitar blends in perfectly and the prominent keyboards make a great prominent part and set the atmosphere perfectly. Drums are great and the reverberating snare sounds amazing. My favorite part is the synths at about 2:30.

Flesh_bag: enjoyable, although I don't feel it goes too much with the picture you were given. riffs are okay and I liked the drums but the overall production is kinda weak, maybe needs more bass. The pace is great though, as well as the vocals.

guitartheist: very catchy song! I liked the harmonized vocals, and the guitar leads are really good. Somewhat your vocals remind me of Dave Mustaine haha. The ending is great. Overall what I most enjoyed about your song where the guitars, both the production, the playing and the riffs/leads.

nyarlathotep: your song reminds me a lot of Gorguts' Obscura, kinda messy but in a good way. I'm not very fond of the vocals, however. Production is ok, I think programmed drums fit this style. There is one particular riff I like, at about 0:15 (and then is repeated throughout). The ending was so unexpected, and is definitely the best thing in here! Although I would have dragged it a bit more instead of just fading out. Sax sounded good as well.

RageW: definitely one of my favorites here. Great songwriting, great performance, great production. Also, it's kinda what I thought could represent well the picture (this or folk metal). The vocals are my second favorite part of all the song. Solos are great also, but what I liked most is the use of keyboards. Amazingly epic song!

wight_ghoul: it's a nice song, although I would have liked it better if longer. Vocals are cool, and the whole atmosphere reminded me of Morbid Angel in their Gateways to Annihilation album. Production-wise it doesn't feel very complete, maybe it needs a bit of compression, I'm not sure. I liked the first riffs. The style fits the picture greatly.

Zodijackyl: I like the vocals and the general idea but the drums are so buried it doesn't make much distinction. Harmonized guitars are great and melodic ideas towards the middle and end of the song are very good. Also spoken vocals were great.

Shaolinlambkiller: I remember asking once in the recommendation forum for ritualistic music and you linked Yzordderrex, and I loved it then. And this one is killer as well. The guitar tone is enormous and drums are very well played and recorded. Vocals of course fit the style very well. I like it very much when the whole thing drones a lot.

I liked this very much, a great songwriting challenge. As I said, if there's another one like this I'm in!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:08 pm 

Thank you Grave_Wyrm for the additional revised comments!

Thank you GeoCO3 for the praise, I'm glad mine was the only one for you that you couldn't review minus taking it from the image.

And I'm glad you ended up checking the thread out, veilofblue, and enjoying all the submissions. I remember the thread you made cause I also remember someone else telling me I was really I'm not sure how he put it exactly but something about so shoved up my own ass to recommend my own band for a thread like that. And then you can and proved I was right to link it up. glad you enjoyed!

love reading reviews of all the songs and obviously of my own cause it inspires me to create even more.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I remember the thread you made cause I also remember someone else telling me I was really I'm not sure how he put it exactly but something about so shoved up my own ass to recommend my own band for a thread like that. And then you can and proved I was right to link it up. glad you enjoyed!

Wow .. :lol: this section was amazing.

yes, SLK. Create more. You are good.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:00 pm 

haha yea i thought it was kinda funny when it happened and was like well why do you have such a problem with that?

Anyway I certainly will! If you didn't know I already have 2 albums of that style out already and have already recorded a 30min single song ep that I'll be throwing up on bandcamp next weekend once the layout is completed, have a 2nd ep of 2 10min long songs completed just need to mix and do the layout for... plan on recording a new full length based on the movie Martyrs and then finally do a collection of all the songs I did for the challenges here since I did 3 yzord tracks for them and none have appeared on anything aside from the challenges, and i'll be including 2 tracks that were meant for a split tape that never happened last year.
http://yzordderrex.bandcamp.com

sorry for the self sucking I just did.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:39 pm 

haha .. yes, self sucking should be done in public places. :)

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:44 pm 

I've never written a review before but I'll give it a shot once I'm done listening to all the tracks :D (fucking LOVING CorpseFister's track so far)
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:04 pm 

Thanks man :) Post up some thoughts once you've had a chance to listen to everything!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:15 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Also, Metantoine’s lyrics were contained in a doc file that came with the zip- you should check them out, they were definitely some of the best submitted and really worked with the art.

Agreed. Tony, do more things. In fact, all you guys: Do more things.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 am 

Yeah, read the lyrics GeoCO3, if you want explainations about it, feel free to ask me. And thanks to Grave Wyrm and CorpseFister for the kind words. I'll send you both the lyrics for 3 other songs tommorow. Juicebitch is writing riffs at the moment, will be good!

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:35 am 

Sweeeeeet. Yes. More things.

Just looking over 'La Fin du Monde'. The lyrics for this song are really good. Damn .. i can't wait for the next challenge.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:42 pm 

Yeah, do it up Metantoine! From my impression of your song it's seems like you've got something interesting to bring to the table.

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
In fact, all you guys: Do more things.

I'm on the case! I've been writing shit like this for a while, but my old PC and gear wasn't up to the task of a proper and full production. My new PC, guitar, interface and updated DAW worked great for this song though and since then I've written and recorded guitars, bass, and synth for three new songs, just need to do vocals and drums. The plan is to pull some of the songs and demos I made over the last year and record the best of them, try to get an EP done in the next couple months.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next