Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:36 pm 

I used to play the guitar when I was in school. In fact, I used to play in a Grind/Punk band but I would love to re-learn it with proper scales and everything. In fact, I am tempted to buy a new guitar so I was thinking, should I start back on acoustic guitars or jump straight to an electric guitar. If so, what would you recommend for me to play again?

I already know basic chords but I'm horrible with leads or scales.

So get an acoustic and re learn it there or jump straight to electric?

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:13 pm 

Just buy the cheapest thing you can find and see how you fare with that. If you see you're really progressing and getting into it, you can swap to a fancier thing; if not, at least you won't have wasted a lot of money! At this point you probably won't feel all the slight differences that make a guitar better, so just get a simple guitar (be it acoustic or electric, though cheap electrics are more expensive than cheaper acoustics) and start playing :3

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 pm 

I would jump straight to an electric seeing as that will work with the style you were playing before. I never owned an acoustic and still don't have one, yet I've been playing an electric for 6 years. Anytime I pick up an acoustic, it's an awkward experience, but it's a tradeoff I rather have since I don't really ever plan to play an acoustic in the near future.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 pm 

Judging from Rabidmadman's logic, I guess I should then get an electric. The reason why I want to buy acoustic originally because I thought of playing blues. Maybe I'll just learn blues on the electric too. Well, I also want to play metal too.

If anyone's curious, here's my old Grind band. Ermm, I was 16/17 at that time so don't expect something that great.
http://youtu.be/0-89QZukevg

It's a 3 track demo.

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm 

Whatever you learn could be applied to either instrument. You would just need to adjust your technique when transferring to one or the other. If you go the electric route, all the blues knowledge will be just as applicable to the acoustic. I'd say if I was in your position, I'd go with whatever is cheaper. Since I primarily play metal, I've never felt the need to invest in an acoustic, but this isn't exactly the best logic.

Akerfeldt_Fanboi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:18 pm 

Acoustic blues is so good, I can't help but recommend learning that way. Plus, if you're used to playing and bending big nylon strings you'll be able to play on a heavily de-tuned guitar or overall, on an electric, better. I can articulate chords more accurately simply because I can play classical guitar style and I can change chords on an electric a lot easier because of this too. It's not bragging, it's just how acoustic playing can discipline you differently from electric guitar.

Besides, one day down the road you may want to write some sappy indie rock or some crazy classical piece - and the acoustic guitar beats the electric for miles with that. Even a cheap acoustic can bring out warm tones that an electric can't hope to compare to.

Oh, and that demo was - I'm sorry - hilarious. I could dig everything else but the drums made me laugh out loud :ugh:

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:23 am 

Akerfeldt_Fanboi wrote:
demo was - I'm sorry - hilarious. I could dig everything else but the drums made me laugh out loud :ugh:

Haha. I knew someone would say that. I did guitars and vocals for that band. That friend of mine who played the drums could play better now. He could play blast beats, better complexity in drumming etc. In fact, I plan to start another band w/ him.

Reply to topic