Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MetalliSielu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 am 

So I'm getting pretty good at guitar..I'd say I'm better at writing hard rock than metal, but I really would like to get good at soloing. I'm not really sure how to practice it, but I am good at playing fast. Does anyone know of a good gp5 files or anything that might help? I can read tabs so any help would be appreciated!

thanks
~Melissa

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:08 pm 

Do you know basic theory? Knowing the keys and scales will hell you stay in tone with whatever you're playing so it doesn't sound awkward.
And on the practical side... just go to 911tabs, download songs whose solos you like and start practising those. Older Black Sabbath is great for this, Iommi's solos kick ass and aren't that hard to learn.

Immortalhero
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:47 am 

Learn your pentatonic scale, aka the blues scale. (blues scale has the flat 5th) Practice soloing to backing tracks (you can find them everywhere on youtube)

once you get that down start exploring minor and major scales

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:58 am 

I can give my personal opinion on how to make good solos... How I did it. And how you should not do, how a friend of mine did it...

I learned myself to play along other bands songs, like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest when I was 11 (now 22). I learned with ear, I didn't even know there was notes or tabs. Still cannot read tabs or notes ;) I know nothing about theory.

This is the SLOW path. It takes a fucking while before you get somewhere, but for me personally, I think it's a good way. You don't rely on those fucking technique lessons and shit... That makes you limited. If you learn how to play ACTUAL solos from real bands, and Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden and Glenn Tipton from Judas Priest are the best "teachers" you can have. All there solos are different and good sense for melody. Best is to start out with Adrian solos, they are mostly easier. Glenn Tipton is diverse and can go to fucking insane shit I still can't even do, but I don't even aim for stuff like that anyway...
That's how I did it, and I could admit I do some quite good solos :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peWXh9waPfA (solo starts at 2:49)
This is from a competition I got third place from... I very rarely use any "techniques" that are being tought out in lessons and shit... Interesting solos are done in a unique way instead.

Note that I am self learned with ear and know NOTHING about theory.
Also, I'm not a very skilled guitarist at all, I can be fucking sloppy at times.

So basically what I think is the wrong approach is that you actually learn every technique and shit you can find. Of course you should do some of that as well, but the problem is that you probably learn the exact same shit as everybody else and it will be harder to develop a more personal style.
ALSO, if you don't progress for simple stuff you probably end up like my friend. He is WAY ahead of me with technical playing, but his solo compositions unfortunately often sound awkward, he's out of tune (and not because his guitar is!) and misses chord progressions and shit... He can have a hard time improvising as well. And that is all because he is limited to his techniques.
But I have lately begun to be a "teacher" for him and he has said next time he makes a solo he wont use ANY technique he knows and THAT IS IMPROVEMENT for me.

There are examples of wellknown artists who cannot write a fucking solo without being a parody of themselves as well... YNGWIE MALMSTEEN and Kerry King even tho Kerry at least makes solos that does not even have to be good. Yngwie just repeats the same shit over and over again.

I can make Yngwie parody (even if not as precise of course), Kerry parody, hell I can even parody my friend! I know every fuckign techniqe he uses ALL THE TIME so it's very predictable once he starts soloing.

But you cannot really parody Adrian Smith or Glenn Tipton, because they always makes totally different solos always crafted for the song, and not a showcase of what techniques they can play.

In conclusion... You can take a shortcut and learn everything everybody else have learned, which is okay and makes you a precise and fast player early on, or take a longer road to interesting solo playing. :)

Mr Ferocious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:04 pm 

I initially try and put a melody over the section I'l be soloing through, or follow the song's melody, because it keeps the focus on specific notes and chords at first. If you concentrate on melodies that you like, it becomes easier to pick out techniques to play around with, like bending and hammer-ons/pull-off patterns.

I agree with the Priest/Maiden recommendation, their sense of melody is amazing and makes their solos memorable.

Edmund Blackadder

Reply to topic