Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hermit Hill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:04 pm 

Hello, this is my first post here. I have recently formed a metal band with just me (guitarist) and a drummer. We aren't really sure what style we play yet but we call ourselves black metal.
I would appreciate it greatly if you would give our songs a listen and give us your criticism. A warning though, they are low quality and we make some mistakes.
If this thread is against the rules I apologize, I couldn't find a list of forum rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYjSExMM ... KZeegGvt4n
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nerKg8RC ... re=channel

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:56 pm 

Way too happy. But that is just me. Not bad just needs some better production and a beefier guitar sound, maybe some reverb or a slight amount of decay. Good drumming like the fills.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:10 pm 

Well, he said it's a rough demo, it's expected to have shitty sound.

The drummer really needs to go easier on the hat, he's hitting it too hard in my opinion, there are almost no dynamics in his way of playing, his grip and way of hitting sound too tense, might be the crappy recording however, but it gives me that impression.
He also has to slow down with the fills, they're annoying and detract from the beats (which aren't bad per se, they fit the music); worse, they're not even remotely interesting, they're too "studybook-ish" (don't know a better way to call them).

Guitar seems to wander off and is kinda sloppy, but the riffs are ok.

This seriously needs the presence of a bass though.

The music itself ain't bad, it seems like a nice mixture of black metal-y aesthetics with the upbeat side of nowave/darkwave, it's quite interesting.

Hermit Hill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:51 pm 

Yeah, we totally need a bass player and a second guitar player. And yeah my guitar playing was pretty sloppy, I need to step it up.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:39 pm 

I listened to the first one.. i thought overall it was pretty sloppy on both instruments. It was def more happy to be black metal. it reminds me of a ton of post-punk bands and i sorta mathrockish bands than anything honestly metal.

garth it's the recording cause it's kinda flattening everything out.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:53 pm 

I thought it sounded cool, happy black metal can work (Svarti Loghin, I'm looking at you). This is even more blatantly cheerful than a lot of their stuff is though, pretty unique, I'd say other than the lack of bass / vocals / good production this is top notch. Rather sloppy but whatever.

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:16 am 

Hermit Hill wrote:
Yeah, we totally need a bass player and a second guitar player. And yeah my guitar playing was pretty sloppy, I need to step it up.

Where you located at? I play bass and guitar.
Also I rather enjoyed it I agree the tone needs to fatten up, start feedin that pig, otherwise pretty cool are these the first songs you ever recorded?

Hermit Hill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 am 

We're in central Illinois. And no, we reccorded annother song but never uploaded it.

samf56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:32 pm 

yah my drumming on circle of thorns of wounded twilight were extremely cant remeber if we changed it or not...i personally hate what i did with that.....but 1 these were recorded off my phone...2 we live in the asshole of america where not a lot of people play instruments......3 see i am not very wealthy so i bought this drumset for $50 and i agree with what he said about the hat but its not a real hi-hat.....you could tap it and it makes that sound that i despise.....

samf56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:32 pm 

***extremely sloppy***

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:53 pm 

I'd def listen to more once you have more stuff ironed out.

samf56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:42 pm 

the weird part is........i have a friend my age who plays guitar.....and he doesnt want to be in a band.....what 16 year old doenst want to be in a band.......well it could be that he likes country.....

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:43 pm 

I didn't want to be part of a band till i was 20... having playing guitar and bass for 4 years prior and just picking up drums that year.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:19 pm 

Same here, I didn't start looking for a band until I had been singing for about four years already, and then it took two years more to find one.

You could cover the hat with an old shirt to damp/soften the sound.

Anyways, I'm also interested in the stuff you guys are doing, so keep us posted about what you're doing.

samf56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:43 pm 

really i never thought about that...ill give it a try....

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:11 am 

I like the melody at the beginning of the first song. The drums are really bad, that needs to be tightened. Also a simple base track would go a long way. I think you have a decent ear for melody, but the songwriting is pretty much non-existent. Don't worry, it gets easier with practice.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:27 am 

It's interesting, certainly. It does sound like black metal, especially sound-wise. The drummer is clearly into drumming that enhances the intensity of the music, which is actually really good considering the overall low level of the recording. It's reminiscent of Summoning - Lugburz. The drumming would probably benefit from more double bass drum use in some parts. The drummer should, however, be better aware of the different moods your riffs portray and able to play better suited drum parts for the riffs. The song structures are quite elementary. If you wish to study black metal songwriting and pacing, acquaint yourself with Behexen's By The Blessing of Satan and From The Devil's Chalice. They are excellent examples of basic, simple though not excessively minimalistic songwriting; the elements are quite easy to recognise and emulate. I don't mean that you should borrow their riffs or drums, but you should hear what decisions they've made as to what kind of riff follows what, and how the drumming changes to better suit the change of riff.

Some of the riffs are promising, whereas others sound badly thought out or half-finished (which may be owing to the fact that the guitars are barely audible at times, since the trebles are far too loud in the mix compared to lows and mids). I'd say there is talent in you, but I seem to perceive some level of bad communication between you and the drummer. Aim to improve your guitar tone, it really wants power and volume, and with no bass, you should emphasise the lows and mids more. You might want to consider downtuning if it becomes apparent that there will be no bassist at all.

What kind of guitar equipment are you using?

Something_Inside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:17 pm 

Honestly all you guys need to do is get the sound right out of the amp (guitar has no mids or lows whatsoever) and get the drummer to play in time better. Your volume is peaking the whole way throughout both songs, mostly because the drummer is trying so hard to hit things as hard as possible he's clearly putting himself out of time every 3 seconds as if he cant hear the guitar at all, which he probably cant, can he?
You just need to practice playing together more so that you're tighter, if it wasnt so sloppy it'd be really enjoyable.

Hermit Hill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:56 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
What kind of guitar equipment are you using?

Epiphone G-400 plugged into a Peavey Vypyr 15.
Bass around 6, Mids at 2, Treble at 10
I had a small amount of reverb even though you can't hear it.

samf56
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:12 pm 

we NEED a bass player...but we live in the asshole of america

Hermit Hill
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:36 pm 

samf56 wrote:
we NEED a bass player...but we live in the asshole of america

I believe we've already communicated that point.

Reply to topic