Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gastahn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:51 pm 

Hi MA forum

I was wondering about everyone's favorite songs to play on guitar. While I can understand that some may think that all metal is fun to play for a musician, I am looking for the kinds of metal that people find to be particularly satisfying to play. I'm open to any sub-genre of metal.

For example, I find it particularly enjoyable to play Emperor, especially some of the songs from Anthems. I can play some of those riffs all day and never get bored of it. I absolutely love to play the Loss and Curse of Reverence and the Acclamation of Bonds.

Does anyone else feel the same way about particular songs? (I hope the phenomenon is not simply a result of being able to play something that sounds good and is perceived by me as a personal challenge, but even if so, I still would like to hear others' opinions on the matter.)

Thanks!

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 am 

I often take great pleasure in playing De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas by Mayhem or Enter Sandman by Metallica.

FroMagnum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:40 am 

Not sure if it necessarily counts but Burzum's "The Crying Orc" is such a satisfying little tune to play, also "Ea, Lord of the Depths" and "My Journey to the Stars" are full of great and fun riffs. Sarcofago's "Satanas" is a particular favorite of mine, as well as "Spleen" by Peste Noire. And a couple of the songs on Abyssic Hate's Suicidal Emotions are quite fulfilling to play. Oh, and just about any 1st wave BM is really enjoyable.

Something_Inside
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:46 pm 

The first riff from Carnal Malefactor by Deathspell Omega. Whack it on heavy distortion. You only need one string, play the others open to your own liking to add heaviness.

on the A string works best for me, british hi-gain style amp, high bass, medium mid & high treble. could play it for hours and hours, fucking mesmerising
|| 9-10-10-10-10-10-10-10-9-10-10-10-10-10-10-10 |-14-15-15-15-15-15-14-12 - 10 - 10 - 10 -10 -10 -10 -10 -10 |-12 -12 -12 -12 -12 -12 -12 -12 -14 -14 -14 -14 -14 -14 -14 -14 |-10 -10 -10 -10 -10 -10- 12- 10- 9 -9 -9 -9 -9 -9 -9 -9 ||

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:57 pm 

My favorite songs to play for fun are Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and Mayhem's "Deathcrush". Really simple groovy riffs that sound great even if they're played sloppy, great for jamming along to a CD while drunk. As far as fun melodic stuff, I love In Flames' "Biosphere" and pretty much any early In Flames.

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:57 pm 

cannibal corpse - meat hook sodomy is very fun to play

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25 am 

Dream Theater's ''Pull me Under'' is fun to play if you're looking for an actual challenge. The song features more than just power chords and has some blazing solos in between. Check it out! :)

Louie CK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:26 pm 

My favorite songs to play are

Vital Remains- Dechristianize
Dying Fetus- Shepards Commandment

the former is just so long and melodic with great harmonies and the latter just has a lot of good riffs

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:10 am 

Can't go wrong with early Metallica, Celtic Frost, Venom and Sabbath. I also love belting out Holy Wars, the first half of the song is awesome to chug along to.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 pm 

Immolation - Swarm of Terror is a lot of fun to play. Black Sabbath has some of the most fun to play riffs ever though, especially in songs like A National Acrobat, Iron Man and War Pigs.

Transilvanian Hunger is a classic aswell. I love to play it together with my drummer mate.

MrDisgrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:16 pm 

I always have a blast when playing Kreator's Violent Revolution and Sodom's Napalm In The Morning.

IvoxAngelripper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:48 pm 

Candlemass' At The Gallows End is a pretty cool song to play, although it's wasy it has really cool sonunding riffs.

Naraku666 wrote:
Swedeath>blow job

dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:23 pm 

somefella wrote:
Can't go wrong with early Metallica, Celtic Frost, Venom and Sabbath. I also love belting out Holy Wars, the first half of the song is awesome to chug along to.

Came here to say "Into the Crypt of Rays" is a lot of fun to play.
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:48 pm 

Agreed with the Op: a lot of Emperor is very fun to play. I learned nearly all of 'Anthems' several years ago and played it constantly... for a while. Now I haven't played it in a while, and can only remember how to play (most of) 'Ye Entrancemperium'.

I've been learning some King Diamond songs lately, and 'Sleepless Nights' and '"Amon" Belongs to "Them"' are a blast. I know a couple of riffs from 'Welcome Home', but I still need to sit down and learn the whole song.

'Stargazer' by Rainbow is a great song and fun to play; it's not very challenging, so it's fairly easy to sing it while playing it. (I don't like doing that though, as I am on the level of neither Ritchie Blackmore nor Ronnie James fucking Dio, much less both combined!)

Occasionally I play the main riffs from Yngwie's 'I'll See the Light Tonight' and 'Soldier Without Faith', and some of the solo from 'Little Savage'. Fun stuff, but of course quite difficult once he gets into the shredding.

Oh! Any Iron Maiden is fun. My friend and I jam on 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' a lot. Also Fates Warning's 'Giant's Lore (Heart of Winter)' and 'Anarchy Divine'.

diamondfamicom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:58 pm 

immortal - tyrants
satyricon - vikingland
metallica - jump in the fire

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:55 am 

As hard as it is, Frantic Disembowelment is soooo much fun to play.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:21 pm 

There are two riffs that I've played at least over 2000 times in my history of playing guitar:
The main riff of Iron Maiden's "Holy Smoke", and the main riff of Satyricon's "Mother North"

Both are extremely fun to play. Not difficult or anything, but its just automatic for me to play them if I've got a guitar in my arms. Catchy as @$%)*&

Reply to topic