Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:00 pm 

I've been an occasional kanoodler for a 10 or 11 years now, but have never really put forth the effort to really get very good. So now I'm gonna try and actually discipline myself to practice regularly and progress a bit. I've been youtubing and googling various exercises and whatnot but there is such a plethora of information and videos I'm not really sure where to start. One I've found that seems worthwhile is alternate picking up the first four frets of every string and then back down again, then moving up a fret and repeating. Any other exercises that people have found helpful?

Some specific things I'd like to work on: switching strings while tremolo picking. I can keep up a pretty good and steady speed on one string but always get hung up and miss a beat or two when moving from one string to another. I assume that I need to slow down and actually learn the mechanics of how to switch strings, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Another area i could use some advice on is finding tabs for songs that will help improve my technique. I mostly like to play OSDM and some dissection/immortal type black metal. Usually I just learn to play a couple riffs I really like (and think i could manage) from whatever tabs I look up. I'm open to learning to play totally different (easier) stuff though to get a little more proficient. Oh and I don't much care for songs in drop tuning, but i'm fine with standard tuning in any key.

Any help greatly appreciated!

thementalpatient
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 10:42 pm 

Slowing down a ton usually helps me, also playing with a metronome or a click track of some sort. Slow down to whatever speed you're comfortable with and can play each note cleanly, even if it sometimes is boring. I know that sometimes playing slow for me kinda bores me after a while and then I wanna jump into playing fast, but it is better to actually speed up maybe 2 or 3 beats per minute at a time.

Playing along with sample drums or just any kind of drum beat helped me play rhythm guitar a lot and helped me with wrist control, tremolos, and riff creativity. I used to only play lead/solo guitar stuff, but that's usually the smallest part of a song. Relaxing and not tensing up your wrist/arms is a big help, I had to re-train myself on how to do that from many years of poor self-taught playing control..

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 8:08 am 

Search for Ben Eller's channel on YouTube for the easiest, most helpful shit ever. A lot of it may seem too basic for you, but just try it out, some are rather challenging too.

For tips on improvisation, search for Rick Graham. This is a little bit more advanced but very well explained and demonstrated.

String-skipping tremolo picking, your assumption is correct. What most people do to 'cheat' is deliberately skip a pick stroke when changing strings. Don't do that. Do it slow enough so that you don't have to, and then speed it up. My personal way of doing it is to accentuate the movement of the last pick stoke so that it moves seamlessly to the next string. Eventually you will be able to do this without thinking or trying.

And learn full songs! It's fun to learn favorite bits and pieces here and there but learning full songs is a great way to build your skills as well as gain insights on songwriting.

awheio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:13 pm 

Guitar Pro has a really great "speed trainer". You can set it to start at, say, 50% speed. And you can then set it to speed up by, say, 1% each iteration. Then you highlight the part you want to focus on, or write your own part, and you can practice it over and over, and the speed automatically increases without you ever having to take your hands off the guitar. You can have it do a new count-in each time the tempo changes as well. I find it to be really great, and it takes some of the tediousness out of it.

gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:31 pm 

Hmm, considering dropping the 60 bucks for guitar pro. I checked out Ben Eller's stuff, definitely some cool licks and stuff to learn. Also inspired me to give sweep picking another shot.

thanks dudes

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:00 am 

Also check out his lesson on vibrato. This is one of the most important aspects of playing ever. The minute I hear a shitty vibrato I automatically think the guitarist is an amateur. No one cares about sweep taps and hybrid picking and whatever. When you land on a note, you have to make it sing~

gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:06 pm 

somefella wrote:
Also check out his lesson on vibrato. This is one of the most important aspects of playing ever. The minute I hear a shitty vibrato I automatically think the guitarist is an amateur. No one cares about sweep taps and hybrid picking and whatever. When you land on a note, you have to make it sing~

That was the first one I watched, I fully agree. I'd like to think that I have pretty decent vibrato skills, but a good lesson regardless. Unfortunately the top nut on my shitty fake strat just popped out when I was putting new strings on, so I'm stuck to practicing on my acoustic for the time being...

Reply to topic