Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:49 pm 

So... the tone on Torsofuck's Erotic Diarrhea Fantasy. Arguably one of the worst guitar tones ever recorded.

I've wondered ever since I heard it... does anyone have any idea how this tone was created? How did they make it so you literally couldn't hear a single note the guitars were playing, and everything just sounded like scrap metal in a wood chipper?

coupdebleus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:46 pm 

It might not be subtle, but I wouldn't call this a bad tone at all. It's thick and crunchy, fitting to the style of music; and I understand what every instrument is playing, get better speakers.

But in case you weren't trolling and really wanted to know: plug a distortion pedal and turn every possible knob between your guitar and your ears to 10.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:54 am 

coupdebleus wrote:
But in case you weren't trolling and really wanted to know: plug a distortion pedal and turn every possible knob between your guitar and your ears to 10.

Dunno really. That kind of set-up usually ends up with an extremely shrill, piercing distortion, more akin to raw black metal. Crafting a thick, dark sound like that probably takes more subtlety. That said, running that shrill, piercing distortion tone through a pitch-shifter might get you there.

I don't think the guitar tone itself is that unclear. The reason you can't make out the riffs is because the guitar tuning is ridiculously low, or the sound is pitch-shifted very low, and the riffs are composed of muddled intervals that sound quite dissonant on a guitar. If you listen to the slamming passage at about 1:30, you'll hear that the guitar sound itself has much more clarity when the guitars slow down a bit and play more consonant intervals (like power chords).

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:32 pm 

It's definitely not the worst I've heard. Far, FAR from the best; it's still quite bad. My guess is that it's a pretty crappy SS head into a not-great cab (maybe the head is better, the cab was probably not very good), miced with little concern for getting rid of the fizz. Could also be a distortion pedal into the front of a head. Or possibly they used an early modeler for the tone. It definitely has that weird synthetic fizziness endemic to a lot of early high-gain modelers.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess. It'd be hard to get a tone like that from a JCM800 into a V30 cab, you know?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:52 pm 

it could be about any guitar head pushed with a distortion on top of the lead channel engaged. it can also be done digitally. pagefire did something covering similar with amp sims on his how to make goregrind video.

kinda feel this is amp sim stuff, very early on cause yea it existed back in the early 2000's was more of a studio thing around 2003/4 when it might have been tracked.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 am 

Yeah, an amp sim would probably be the best way to go about achieving that tone. The original may or may not be one, but to get an insane distortion while maintaining a thick, murky low end - especially since it doesn't matter one bit if it sounds digital and artificial - using an amp sim is most likely the easiest way.

Lord_Of_Diamonds
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
it could be about any guitar head pushed with a distortion on top of the lead channel engaged. it can also be done digitally. pagefire did something covering similar with amp sims on his how to make goregrind video.

kinda feel this is amp sim stuff, very early on cause yea it existed back in the early 2000's was more of a studio thing around 2003/4 when it might have been tracked.

I've been thinking it's amp sim to, but without a cabinet sim. Maybe I should find a section of one of the songs where there is only guitar and run it through a cabinet sim to see how it sounds.
coupdebleus wrote:
It might not be subtle, but I wouldn't call this a bad tone at all. It's thick and crunchy, fitting to the style of music; and I understand what every instrument is playing, get better speakers.

I have damn good speakers and headphones. I can't make out a single note that the guitars are playing unless I shift the pitch for everything up an octave, which is how I learned to play Raped By Elephants.

Reply to topic