Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:03 pm 

Alright, so I looked up the tab for "I Am Who Feasts Upon Your Soul" and the tuning just doesn't seem right. It tells me to tune in C# but it just doesn't sound right. It's the rhythm guitar version too so that might be making a difference. Otherwise the notes sound like they are in the right order.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:48 pm 

I always thought Vader tuned to D standard only. But either way just learn the song first dude. Not being in the exact tuning doesn't really matter unless you plan to record a cover with the original track as backing.

painfulserenity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:57 pm 

somefella wrote:
I always thought Vader tuned to D standard only. But either way just learn the song first dude. Not being in the exact tuning doesn't really matter unless you plan to record a cover with the original track as backing.

Yeah, it just seemed a little too low. It doesn't stop me from playing it but it annoys me a little.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 am 

If it's way too high or low then it bothers me a little but I generally don't care. I only have guitars in D standard and Drop C and any song in drop whatever I'll play it on the drop c guitar(Nile, etc) and anything in E/D/C/B/whatever standard i'll play on the D-standard guitar.

EDIT: About drop tunings, I love being able to hack away at lots and lots of palm-muted power chords in rapid fire succession but the downside is many licks or sweeps just don't work in that position :/

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:33 am 

Drop tunings are definitely for rhythm guitar. They give access to some interesting chords (like in drop D, the D minor chord played on all strings sounds rather huge), and they make playing rapid brutal death metal riffs possible for normal human beings, but I don't really like them. If I wanted to play those palm-muted Cryptopsy riffs, I'd just practice it on standard.

Another pro of using drop tunings is when you want access to extremely low notes and fifths, like the low Ab just below standard bass guitar's open A. If you tune to drop Ab, setting up the guitar will be easier, and you may not have to use 13-85 size strings or whatever.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 am 

My band uses that exact chord you mention in this song, I love how big it sounds: http://hpgd.bandcamp.com/track/black-flags-of-khorasan

I like doing the Nile chord also, where you hit the root and fifth on the bottom 2 strings, and the minor third on the 4th string. Like the first sustained(albeit briefly) chord in Lashed To The Slave Stick. Lots of things really, just gotta keep messing around with what the new patterns can do.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:57 am 

Ah, you mean like this?

G 10
D 0
A 0
D 0

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:13 am 

Not really, more like uhm, let's see.

D 0 1 3 4 6 9/
A 0 1 3 4 6 6/
D 0 1 3 4 6 6/

That last chord where you slide down.

Which is basically the intro for that song.

EDIT: Whoops, made a mistake. This is why I hate tabs or notes or anything written in music :(

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:17 am 

Ah, yeah, that chord. Easy enough to play in standard in my opinion, although mixing it with rapid fifths can be much more challenging.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:21 am 

Yeah dude, I don't think I could play most Nile songs in standard :P

I generally prefer standard too but I guess I've gotten used to drop after a few years in the band.

EDIT: Oh I gave Illusions Dead a listen and like, good stuff! Just wish the production was a wee bit cleaner but that's just my tastes, I like it overall. Melodic and groovy with some tense parts.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:24 am 

Thanks mate! The production definitely isn't perfect, but we're going to record some new stuff in February, and it's going to have much better sounds. Hopefully we'll be able to improve the drum and vocal performances as well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:26 am 

Cool, will look forward!

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:18 am 

Anyone have any advice on getting bridge screws loose on an agathis body? I bought a cheaper guitar at a pawn shop and while the body was well taken care of, the screws are rusted and I can't adjust my action without stripping out the Torx head. Sucks because I just bought tools especially for this task.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:27 am 

Wish it wasn't a torx head otherwise you might be able to drill into the screw a bit for more grip. I'd see if you can borrow someone's screw extractor, I can't think of another way to get them out without risking damage to the guitar.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:26 pm 

I barely got with a light hammer and vice grips. Luckily they stuck up enough for that.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:45 pm 

That's awesome man, I probably would've ended up with vice grip marks all over the guitar if I had tried that. Do you have the action adjusted now or do you need to get new screws?

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:50 pm 

Actually both. I got it lowered, but they are still stripped out so they do need to be replaced. Plus I don't like rusted things on my 'tar. And I did end up with some marks on my bridge but none on the body. It's one of those cheap Ibanez half floating bridges anyway.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:31 pm 

I'm going to save up for a high-end tube head, somewhere in the 1500€-2000€ range, and it should get me a high-quality 100-120w one. I'm attracted to the ENGL Savage, but I've read conflicting things about it. Though it seems to be a reasonably versatile amp, I have yet to hear samples with full, rich-sounding chords recorded with a Savage. It makes single notes sound very nice though, and it seems to have an immense amount of attack in the mids. Some complain that it's harsh and fizzy, and that's definitely something I don't want.

I'm not too keen on the Peavey 5150/6505, and Mesa Boogie amps are too expensive in Europe (and tone wise they're not quite there either, at least Rectifiers are dark and fizzy at the same time - it often seems to sound like it really, really needs a boost, even boosted). I really like my ENGL Screamer combo, so I thought ENGL might be the brand for me.

Well, if anyone has experience on the Savages or Invaders, please let me know. I play extreme metal, downtuned two steps (check out signature link for my band's songs for reference of the musical style, not so much tone). My current axe is a basswood Ibanez with Seymour Duncan Invaders (really high-output kind of muddy passive, with immense mids if boosted).

---

If you listen to those Illusions Dead songs, the guitar panned to left is me. Unboosted ENGL Screamer 50 at high gain settings, pretty even EQ, with bad Ibanez stock pickups.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:03 am 

I've played a Fireball and a Savage before, the Savage has more aggressive mids and a more punchy voicing to my ears. Don't know about the Invader though. I used Duncan Invaders on a basswood body Schecter when playing through that, I think that the big mids aren't something the Invader pickup does well, but it can definitely still be made to work. EQing and individual playstyle also factors in for that obviously.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:35 am 

Anyone know anything about flying with a guitar? Is it possible to bring one as a carry-on in a gig bag or should you always check it and get a sturdy hardshell case?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:35 am 

You can carry-on but that's if you don't already have a bunch of carry-on luggage. You can check it in with a hard case but I would still recommend you foam wrap it or something. Get those rectangular cases with the foam padding inside already, else a tuner could be knocked off or a headstock could get chipped.

Stick as many FRAGILE! stickers you can on it. I flew Emirates a while back and the bastards handled my case to the point where some of the bubble wrap got torn off and one of the locks on the case was broken.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 am 

somefella wrote:
I've played a Fireball and a Savage before, the Savage has more aggressive mids and a more punchy voicing to my ears. Don't know about the Invader though. I used Duncan Invaders on a basswood body Schecter when playing through that, I think that the big mids aren't something the Invader pickup does well, but it can definitely still be made to work. EQing and individual playstyle also factors in for that obviously.

Considrring that the Invader pick-up is bassy, how did the Savage respond to that? With a rectifier or 5150/6505 you can get huge amounts of bottom from that pick-up, but none of the samples of Savage I heard had much low mids or warmth, even though people really often EQ for those things when playing and recording alone.

It's not that I'd want too much bottom in my tone, but I'm afraid that the Savage sounds too thin.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:53 am 

Not super well, depending on your taste. IMO the Invader pickup tends to work best with more scooped tones rather than mids-heavy tones, the big bottom end helps to make that chugging really chunky. With a mids-heavy tone like Engls, the Invader pickup tends to be a little mushy because it doesn't express mids super well. But that's a very minor complaint, when I plugged in it still sounded like a fucking beast.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:47 pm 

Incidentally, according to the tone chart, SH-8 has loads of mids (and interestingly, very little treble in comparison). With an even EQ, it sounds slightly scooped, when it's actually like 8-7-4.

I have serious GAS for the Savage, but I'd also have to upgrade my guitar selection to get the most out of it... and buy a cab. Just when I got over my GAS for the Schecter Blackjack c-1 SLS. At least it's not a Mesa and an ESP I want now like it used to be. Savage is about 1900€ new, and dual rec would be closer to 2500€. Schecter Blackjacks are from 700 to 1100, and ESP MK-II is like 2000....

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:45 pm 

So I found out today that Seymour Duncan makes a set of pups aimed at black and death metal, called the Black Winter (http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e ... ck_winter/). I've been thinking of looking into getting a new set of pups for my SG Special (it just has the stock pups right now), and this certainly peaked my interest. Does anyone have any experience with the Black Winter pups? How are they? And how is the clean tone with these, as being able to have both a good clean and a good distorted tone is quite important to me.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:18 am 

I've never tried those but I've seen a couple of demos by Ola Englund on YouTube. They're alright, not my thing. Granted, I never like Ola Englund demos anyway because his sound is always so oversaturated and everything sounds the same no matter what he plays. Re-amping, EQing, multiple tracks, and using seven-strings all the time, it's definitely going to sound like a muddy mess.

The Duncan JB is my favourite for both clean and distorted. Maybe it's not as hot as other modern hi-gain pickups but it's definitely hot enough for extreme metal and it being less hot allows for a lot of clarity as well. Using a very hot pickup along with a high-gain amp will make your sound a tad too muddy and oversaturated. Either have a hot pickup pushing a not so high gain amp(JCM800) or a medium output pickup(the JB) pushing a high-gain amp(Engl, Mesa, etc).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:48 am 

Black and death metal would typically benefit from different things in a pick-up. What is a black and death metal pick-up other than a high-output humbucker?

Not exactly a fan of Ola Englund either. His playing is extremely tight, but his tone is often sterile and I really don't like his music. He got very good sounds from a Mesa dual rectifier though, I wonder why he doesn't seem to use one more often even though that amp fits his playing style like a glove. Maybe he's not a fan of the impreciseness of the bass response. In my opinion that amp really brings character to his tone that most of his videos utterly lack.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:18 am 

The way I see it, most medium output humbuckers can already do extreme metal. The rest is just about what kind of voicing or response you prefer. I've never believed in things like X gear is best for X genre. Like that stupid black metal pedal, 666 pieces made worldwide, blah blah fuckin' blah. Enough gain to get a solid chug/crunch can do almost any kind of metal, regardless of branding.

Yeah Ola is a good player but Feared is such a boring band, his riffing style is really bland and unmemorable. It's his massive overproduction and saturated sound that renders most of his videos as not particularly good for making judgement about gear. This is a much better video, the riff actually demonstrates the pickup response and voicing very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

Solomon Grundy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:11 pm 

OK folks, I am pretty much a noob and have no idea if this question has been answered once or a thousand times. I need to buy an audio interface for my PC. I want to be able to plug the guitar directly into the interface and select guitar tones from the interface. I want it to be able to work seamlessly with any recording software I decide to use (e.g. garageband).

Suggestions please. I have read many old threads on the Internetzzz about the Johnson J-Station (now defunct) and the Line 6 POD...Both of those now seem to be old technology.

Please help my search!!!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:05 pm 

Try a forum that you don't think is a bunch of hacks like you stated before. No one is going to help you now.

Also direct in sucks. Direct that guitar into an actual amp.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:08 am 

Solomon Grundy wrote:
OK folks, I am pretty much a noob and have no idea if this question has been answered once or a thousand times. I need to buy an audio interface for my PC. I want to be able to plug the guitar directly into the interface and select guitar tones from the interface. I want it to be able to work seamlessly with any recording software I decide to use (e.g. garageband).

Suggestions please. I have read many old threads on the Internetzzz about the Johnson J-Station (now defunct) and the Line 6 POD...Both of those now seem to be old technology.

Please help my search!!!

I enjoy the POD X3 Live. While around $500.00 new, I've seen some in pawn shops for as low as $199.00. However, I don't see why not to start with a POD 2.0 or what have you. Much cheaper and you can get an idea of what you want.

GestatedHostility
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:07 am 

Has anyone got any tips for stopping the higher strings from ringing while playing lower ones? I've tried using left and right hand muting techniques, but they either don't seem to work or make playing feel awkward.

awheio
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:32 am 

If left and right hand techniques both don't work, I can't imagine what you'd do: You're out of hands! But I think it's my left hand that does the job, at least most of it. You just need to practice precision in all things, but also be prepared to keep spare fingers or other hand parts lying around on the strings. Honestly, I never put much conscious effort into it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:48 am 

Ringing, how? As in feedback or just ringing as notes normally do?

Notes don't ring when you remove your finger from the frets and stop the strings from vibrating. It's a combination of left and right hand technique for most players, especially when you run high-gain settings. My advice is to check your gain level and see if you can thicken up the tone without using too much gain. Try rolling back gain and presence and adding mids, see how that works out for you. Anyway, with one riff that involved playing stuff from strings 6 to 3, I simply had to adjust my right hand technique somewhat to stop the ringing when I moved from the 3rd string to the 6th.

If you have feedback, just dial the gain down a little bit, see if it helps. Many metal players have absolutely way too much of it.

For reference, I play through a supposedly non-metal amp, and with high-output humbuckers, I can get death and black metal tones with gain at 5. Increasing gain from there turns my tone to mush instead of making it more brutal. If your palm-muted power chords aren't heavy enough for you, you might want to consider tuning down. If you've already tuned down, try running a tube screamer in the front - it can make your chugs much bigger even without using the drive at all.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:31 am 

If your palm-muted power chords aren't heavy enough also try actually hitting the strings instead of tickling them :P And a lot of it has to do with finding the sweet-spot somewhere on the bridge that allows for maximum heaviness with minimal gain.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 pm 

Looking for some opinions on tuner pedals. What do y'all recommend, particularly in regards to price vs quality? Is it worth spending over a hundred bucks for a Boss or similar level tuner pedal, or will something like a behringer work? Have you found much difference in tuning accuracy between different tuner pedals?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:33 pm 

No experience with cheapo tuner pedals, but I have some thoughts:
- Behringer and such tend to have plastic casings in their other pedals.
- Buy a good one, and it will last you for a decade. You'll have invested $1 a month by the time you need a new one. Is it worth scraping the extra cash to get a good one? Probably, and even if it didn't matter, you really won't have lost very much.
- You really don't want your tuner to break during a gig. Out of all your pedals, it's the one you really have to be able to rely on.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:33 am 

Get a Boss and you probably won't need to ever buy another.

RShard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 am 

mike40k wrote:
Looking for some opinions on tuner pedals. What do y'all recommend, particularly in regards to price vs quality? Is it worth spending over a hundred bucks for a Boss or similar level tuner pedal, or will something like a behringer work? Have you found much difference in tuning accuracy between different tuner pedals?

I have no idea whether or not I'll be too late with my reply (but I might be, seeing as the post is a couple months old) but I absolutely recommend getting a TC Electronic Polytune pedal above all other options. They come in a regular size and in a smaller box as well and the brilliant thing about it is that you can tune your guitar by hitting all strings at once. I've had mine for years, probably more than 8, and it still works. A look at the website shows that there's current a third incarnation of the model, so it's probably become even better. Very clear display and very accurate.

AdeptEye
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:37 am 

from Star Licks Master Series VHS
my old pentatonic warmup tape
for dissolving rust
yet eye imported & horizontal flipped the entire tape
so can see him playing everything right handed :P
the full tape is like half an hour
have all the notation/tabs around here somewhere...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next