Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CloggedUrethra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:20 pm 

Download: Black Revival 2015.zip (248 MB)

Stream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JD_m7VFeHc

Here are the results for the Black Revival songwriting challenge. Eight people submitted songs that last almost 2 hours in total. The songs are sorted by submission date. Feel free to take a listen and post your thoughts/reviews. Thanks to everyone involved (and not involved)!

Also, the winner of the $20 lottery is MourningPyre, congrats! (lottery video)

Quote:
= ShaolinLambKiller
1. Subterranean Birthright - Ostracism - An Abrasive Existence (8:13)
2. Subterranean Birthright - Ostracism - Crippling Truths (12:40)
3. Subterranean Birthright - Ostracism - The Flourishing Dwelling Below (11:38)
4. Subterranean Birthright - Ostracism - Harvesting Nothingness (10:01)

= MourningPyre
5. Death-Is-Not-The-End-2015 (6:37)

= Tanaros
6. Tyakrah - Wintergedanken (7:08)

= Vesheljinn
7. untitled (4:22)

= InThyKingdom
8. Historian - Alexandria (5:20)

= Big_Grand
9. perdu en soi - gallows caress (4:31)
10. perdu en soi - cries of wolves (3:35)
11. perdu en soi - Eternal Winter (3:08)

= PureNegativism
12. xenolalia (4:08)

= CloggedUrethra
13. Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Tragic Immoral Illusions (6:18)
14. Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Reliving Fading Memories (3:57)
15. Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Convoluted Justification (5:38)
16. Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Two Questionable Regrets (7:01)
17. Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Rare Feelings of Vertigo (3:31)
18. Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - The Eventual Desperation (8:05)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:46 am 

I was wondering when you were going to put it up. I'll be listening tmwr!
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:58 pm 

MourningPyre: Death-Is-Not-The-End- The snare seems slightly off from the symphonies, it might not be but it just seems off to me. The war toms sound on perfect.Good nice intro into the song though it was a tad long in starting for my taste I really was happy when the rolling kicks started. Everything sounds nice and loud, bombastic. Not really my overall cup of tea as far as black metal. I was waiting for a great while for some vocals to kick in and then it sorta occured to me that there were none to be had. That's rather disappointing in my book. There's parts of this that reminds me of Novembre so that's a plus. Very well done and sounds great. Just not what I care for.

Tanaros- Tyakrah - Wintergedanken- Everything sounds very nice and full. great use of layering the guitars. Vocals sound great and fitting. I'm very happy to actually hear the bass as well. Really digging the leads fitting and haunting. I do wish the tempo changed up a bit more. more so maybe with the dru never mind it happened so I'm very pleased. Just took a bit longer for it to happen. Though I think maybe the kick should've been turned down just slightly for the speedier run. though everything runs into a great climax and enjoy the spoken piece at the end. really reminds me of mid era Enslaved. so I love that. if all the material you do under this project is similar and as strong I'd gladly purchase.

Vesheljinn: untitled- Nice rawer guitars I dig. good clean drum sound, kick maybe down a hair but that's me. I really like how the blasting/faster portions some how remind me of nocturnus, I'm not sure why exactly. I guess it has a spacey quality to them. But also another song disappointly has no vocals. I wasn't as pleased with the sweep picking lead thrown in. sorta just takes me out of the space you were creating with the song.

InThyKingdom: Historian - Alexandria- yay vocals. everything sounds good though there's something I'm not fond about with the guitar tone. I'm not sure. was this an amp sim? aside from that very nice. I like the layered haromonies/leads in the background. Sounds like very nice modern black metal. I like this style in spurts but it's not usually on my list of constant rotations.

Big_Grand: perdu en soi - gallows caress- extra lofi here, but I really don't like the drums and how high they are mixed/cut through. if they were more in the background I'd like all the tracks more. there are good things going on with the melodies and harmonies just get drowned out by the drums. are those vocals I hear? cause I thought it was a seagull with tons of echo on it. Maybe an eagle? There's nice parts but even at 4 minutes doesn't seem like there was enough ideas to carry it that far, maybe with real vocals...
perdu en soi - cries of wolves- cymbals are utterly destroying anything you were doing here. I'm not really that fond of the melody being used in this song. But as it went on it sorta grew on me. no vocals. to help carry it or tone down the cymbals
perdu en soi - Eternal Winter- so you decided to turn the guitars much further up here which does help with the drums, the cymbals are still too loud. but overall sounds much better. So overall all the songs are nice ideas that I think should be further explored. almost seems like sections cut for demos.

PureNegativism: xenolalia- holy fuck. I haven't heard anything this lofi in ages. it sounds like I'm listening to it through the wall from the house next door. though the keyboards are the most prevelant thing. I like the vocals. it's that point of raw where it's a detriment instead of enhancement/ live feel.

CloggedUrethra:
Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Tragic Immoral Illusions-
Everything sounds pretty spot on as normal the crazy change ups and some nice haunting melodies. some of this actually reminds me more of the band Taken than some black metal. Drums sounds awesome as always. and again there are some runs that remind me of the band When Dreams Die. it's like transitions that work but just pop out of nowhere. it's almost like if Orchid was doing black metal. I love the eb and flow how organic it all sounds. esp if the guitars are doing a run and then drums change from what is groove to blasting. the haunting chord ringing ends are very nice.
Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Reliving Fading Memories reminds me of Ved Buens Ende. High compliment and excellence. it's still chaotic but more cohesive in presentation. I'm not sure but it seems less hairbrained. I really like the transitions they all flow very well together. Comes to a great end as well. solid work.
Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Convoluted Justification - Oh this reminds me of the work you contributed to in that Voidcraeft album. but more melodic even with the amount of dissonance you used, it's all very well balanced. almost would like to hear the toms a cunt hair louder.
Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Two Questionable Regrets- nice to hear something a bit slower and the synth coming in is a nice touch since it's subtle in the background. good pacing where to place this in the songs. all very nice and tight with them pretty notes all fluttering around. and i liked hearing the longer sections of the blasting where it's a constant thing sometimes the constant rolls make it a disjointed feel. but here restraint is excellently used. And excellent climax and release.
Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - Rare Feelings of Vertigo- excellent thrashing attack out the gate. Oh I like the piano in it, I almost wasn't even sure if it was on the track till I paused it and it stopped and the piano got a bit louder.
Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions - The Eventual Desperation- the most restrained I've heard any of your compositions. Excellent. Also liked where you doubled up on your vocals. Oh and a note overall the vocals throughout have been placed excellently in the mix and sound great. let me know when you have this on disc I'll buy a copy. or I'll send you some other garbage of mine in trade.

MourningPyre
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:49 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
MourningPyre: Death-Is-Not-The-End- The snare seems slightly off from the symphonies, it might not be but it just seems off to me. The war toms sound on perfect.Good nice intro into the song though it was a tad long in starting for my taste I really was happy when the rolling kicks started. Everything sounds nice and loud, bombastic. Not really my overall cup of tea as far as black metal. I was waiting for a great while for some vocals to kick in and then it sorta occured to me that there were none to be had. That's rather disappointing in my book. There's parts of this that reminds me of Novembre so that's a plus. Very well done and sounds great. Just not what I care for.

Thanks for your criticisms! It's always good to get thoughts from fresh ears. I've always written instrumental music, so I apologize about the no lyrics situation. You are not the first to talk about the long intro, so I think it needs to be cut down. I was unsure to submit this track as it's not really black metal in any way other than some of the types of blast beats I used. I have since picked up Audio Technica ATH-M50x that hopefully will help me reference my mixes better as well as a Scarlett 2i2 for guitars. Now it's just finding time to do all that with family and work. =)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Vesheljinn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:35 am 

Quote:
Vesheljinn: untitled- Nice rawer guitars I dig. good clean drum sound, kick maybe down a hair but that's me. I really like how the blasting/faster portions some how remind me of nocturnus, I'm not sure why exactly. I guess it has a spacey quality to them. But also another song disappointly has no vocals. I wasn't as pleased with the sweep picking lead thrown in. sorta just takes me out of the space you were creating with the song.

Thanks for the kind words! Sadly, the vocalist couldn't make it since he was on vacation and I don't have an appropriate mic to record myself. I'll do better next time. Cheers!

Cryptophobia - prog/death/grind/experimental

Tanaros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 am 

Subterranean Birthright - Ostracism

Right in front a whole EP by Subterranean Birthright.
I think it also works better as a unit, so I won't do an song by song review.
I really like the guitar tone, it matches the slow and atmospheric parts as well as the fast and sometimes chaotic seeming Parts.
All the songs combine the totally destructive and nearly nihilistic mood which are punctuate by the evil lurking Vocals.
The overall sound is well produced but raw at the same time, so very appealing for my Black Metal needs.
Something you can definitely enjoy :)

MourningPyre - Death is not the End

A nice Orchestral Introduction leads us into some nice and melodic riffs. Overall its a bit too much of Orchestral Goodness, but yeah, thats only my taste. Nothing you should be concerned about.
The song is without vocals, but I really don't mind it, its so melodic that it can stand for itself and I think its written with this in mind that there willne no vocals.
The overall sound is very polished and good produced, too good for some Black Metal purists, but there are also lots of people who like that stuff, so give ita shot and decide for yourself.

Vesheljinn - Untitled

Woooooh.. after that polished production this one sounds unfinished at first glance, but it's really not.
The Drums sounds a bit to robotic for my taste but yeah, you can argue about that. The guitar sound is raw but absolute good sounding, everything done right here. The solo is kinda neat. I like stuff like that. But the song really lack some vocalwork which is a pity.
The atmosphere created is definitely very good and catches me everytime.

Historian - Alexandria

Another Orchestral Introduction but this time total different with a nice Choral Style.
The riffing is very good and melodic and the vocals very grim and fitting. Sounds like a good modern attempt of Melodic Black Metal.
Again very polished and good produced, but it just fits. The guitar is the main lead instrument and not any orchestral noodling which is a big plus point.

Perdu en soi - gallows caress/Cries of Wolves/Eternal Winter

And again a difference like day and night with the last song because it gets a bit more lofi again.
The guitar tone is quite nice, but the drums destroy every atmosphere that they try to build up. It's just to static and robotic to be pleasant. The cymbals are penetrating my ears so much, it gets dull very fast. Which is a pity, because I like a lot of the guitar work. On the last song the guitars are much louder and you hear it "crack" very often. Thats nothing I want to hear on a recording, lofi or not.

PureNegativism - xenolalia

Wow.. THAT is lofi. Takes me right back to the ninties.
You can't deny that this is creating some atmosphere.. but yeah, a bit to much lofi for my taste. Sorry!
The vocals seem quite cool, finally some vocals again.
If you are into a lot of lofi stuff, go check it out.

Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions

Now with 6 Tracks this is nearly a full length album.
It has definitely a more chaotic feel to it. I like the guitar work very much, it sounds very haunted. But also I am no fan of the snare especially in the fast and chaotic parts. But after I listen to it some more its not that bad.. maybe I just need to get used to it a bit.
What bothers me a bit is that the vocals sound a bit thin.. like an "evil" whisper. Maybe it is wanted.. but not my taste.
The production is solid, sometimes the guitars sounds a bit harsh, nothing too bad.
But the songs are definitly good, I think I need to give it some more runs to fully appreciate it.

@ShaolinLambKiller
Thanks for your kind words!
I think that the other songs of the EP will be as good or even better as this one.
Just some more vocal duties to do.. Good feedback gives best motivation.
I will tell you when its finished ;)

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Big_Grand: perdu en soi - gallows caress- extra lofi here, but I really don't like the drums and how high they are mixed/cut through. if they were more in the background I'd like all the tracks more. there are good things going on with the melodies and harmonies just get drowned out by the drums. are those vocals I hear? cause I thought it was a seagull with tons of echo on it. Maybe an eagle? There's nice parts but even at 4 minutes doesn't seem like there was enough ideas to carry it that far, maybe with real vocals...
perdu en soi - cries of wolves- cymbals are utterly destroying anything you were doing here. I'm not really that fond of the melody being used in this song. But as it went on it sorta grew on me. no vocals. to help carry it or tone down the cymbals
perdu en soi - Eternal Winter- so you decided to turn the guitars much further up here which does help with the drums, the cymbals are still too loud. but overall sounds much better. So overall all the songs are nice ideas that I think should be further explored. almost seems like sections cut for demos.

Tanaros wrote:
Perdu en soi - gallows caress/Cries of Wolves/Eternal Winter

And again a difference like day and night with the last song because it gets a bit more lofi again.
The guitar tone is quite nice, but the drums destroy every atmosphere that they try to build up. It's just to static and robotic to be pleasant. The cymbals are penetrating my ears so much, it gets dull very fast. Which is a pity, because I like a lot of the guitar work. On the last song the guitars are much louder and you hear it "crack" very often. Thats nothing I want to hear on a recording, lofi or not.

Thankyou for the feedback, those were sound clips of bird sounds. I have a lot of trouble getting my tracks to match eachothers volume in general in reaper, and I feel like they still end up being very quiet when I render them to wav and mp3. As far as my drums, when I was recording I almost thought the drums werent loud enough, I really wanted to drive the songs with the snare and cymbol hits but it seems as though they did not do justice to the harmony and melody of the song to others as they did to me. I felt when they were less loud they were lost in the feedback of my guitars which was why I chose to make them louder, I want to find more organic ways to make each track flesh out rather than overlap eachother without using eq vst's, perhaps an eq pedal should be my next investment.

I am still working my way through the mix, I will try and have my reviews soon.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:53 pm 

Just finished listening to the compilation. Thoughts:

ShaolinLambKiller - Subterranean Birthright - Ostracism album

I really dig the dark ambient noises this starts out with, and the grandiose chords that lurch across the mix before the first song starts. The blast-driven black metal here has lots of twisting, queasy tremolo that maintains the unsettling vibe that's a common element in the various SLK projects I've heard. There's interesting production here, too, with the bulk of the instrumentation heaped toward the center of the mix and the fringes filled out with the grime and fuzz from the guitars. There are individual parts about these songs that I really like, especially in the way the guitars are layered in certain places, but overall I can't say I found any of the individual songs very compelling as they seemed more like stitched-together smaller ideas rather than unified wholes with musical purpose. I also can't help but think a lot of the faster-paced parts are too wordy in the lyrical department - while there's a lot of venom in the vocal performance it's just kind of relentless sometimes and doesn't really give much room for the instrumentals to shine, which is immediately noticed whenever the music slows down to those torturous crawl sections and the vocals scale way back. I just wish this was more cohesive in both its vision and quality.

MourningPyre - Death Is Not the End

Right off the bat my first impression is that there are neat ideas here hampered by too much rigidity in the programming. Big bombastic synth sounds but the timings and velocities are all really robotic. Just a bit more of a human touch would've helped a ton. That said, the way the synths and guitars are layered sounds really great. Really sweeping, epic Moonsorrow-ish stuff. I'd love to hear this fully fleshed out with vocals and worked into longer compositions, perhaps with some parts that are a bit more riff-oriented and less reliant on the symphonics layering to act as the meat of the material with this more flashy symphonic style used during key sections. A welcome stab of light after the relentless murk of SLK's album.

Tanaros - Wintergedanken

This one's cool. Love the way the guitars just stab away at repetitive riffs while the really rounded, fluid bass tone injects these little melodic flourishes into the riffs to keep things interesting. Also some really good lead work in this and good vocals (even the spoken parts toward the end sounded great). The two things that jump out at me that I'd improve are perhaps giving more reverb and general room feel to the rhythm guitars as they're kind of right there in your eardrums while the rest of the mix feels appropriately distant for the composition. Second, I was waiting for the drum programming to switch it up a bit and fall into a more momentum-bearing groove but it just kept playing that sparse pattern until the blasting part kicked in. Basically just a tweak on the rhythm guitar production and a more nuanced, human (or better at emulating human anyway) drum performance would've done this already decent track wonders. Loved the synth work in the bridge/outro, too. Good song.

Vesheljinn - untitled

Right off the bat we've got some classic evil 2nd wave sounds going on with this one. Suitably low-budget guitar sounds, but I wish the drums sounded more organic and less obviously like programmed drums. There are some really cool tremolo lines in this stuff but I can't help but feel like there's something missing in the overall sound and I don't mean the obvious lack of vocals that would be needed to take this to more of a completed state. Something about the production just begs for more space to be filled up somehow - maybe with a more ferocious sound on the right channel rhythm guitar? I'm not sure how well some of the more flashy solos fit into the song but again that could just be due to lack of context. I'd love to hear your guitar ideas in a more fully fleshed-out full band project.

InThyKingdom - Historian - Alexandria

Though there's a big epic rain samples and chants intro to this, I still feel like it just kind of jumps out from nowhere - I think an actual instrumental intro woven into the samples and choirs would've been helpful. Otherwise this song unfortunately suffers from one of my pet peeve effects, where riffs sound cool on the front end but don't really resolve in satisfying ways and just sort of trail off in aimless ways, which is exacerbated by how many times riffs are repeated (not a crime in and of itself of course, but highlights the previous problem). I also think this song would've benefitted from a more varied drum performance as it just kind of switches back and forth between the blasting and thrash beat without really enough rhythmic variation. There's also something I can't really put my finger on about the production - it just kind of sounds too crowded in the middle or something? Anyway despite all of the negative comments this is still a really well put-together track.

Big_Grand - Perdu en Soi (three tracks)

The shuffling beats of programmed drums right away gives me the feeling like this is the soundtrack to some nighttime rail journey across a huge plain with vast black mountains looming in the distance. There are all kinds of production issues on this one, such as the super thin shitty whisper vocals and those random really fucking loud sounds that brutalize my eardrums, but fuck if this isn't some really good stuff anyway. I absolutely love the repetition and the shimmering beauty of the lead guitar parts. Basically the whole affair reeks of amateurism but it's exactly the right kind of amateurism that makes a lot of great black metal bands' embryonic demos really great listens. I actually think the drum machine works really well here. All I really want is maybe a slightly more passionate vocal performance and a better mix/master job and this would get regular listens from me. I'm on the fence about the really small size of the compositions, too - I'm not quite sure if I want these tracks to be much longer or if I'm fully satisfied with this basically sounding like the Guided By Voices of sad atmospheric black metal.

PureNegativism - Xenolalia

This sounds like it's got some shimmering pretty guitars that kind of remind me of stuff like Virvatulet but with a hazier, Vemod-like feel to it that could very well be really cool, but it also sounds like it was recorded with some regular lo-fi techniques then played back on shitty laptop speakers and recorded with a $2 computer microphone inside one of those bigass cans of tomato paste you get at Costco. Basically it just sounds like you went to extra great lengths to make the production worse on purpose. If that's not the case then I apologize, but there's some potentially cool stuff here that's neutered by the tin can treble production that, apart from just not being great generally, also pushes the cymbals in front of everything else in the mix to a really irritating degree.

CloggedUrethra - Nostril Caverns - Tragic Immoral Illusions

Basically my standard complaints with Clogged apply here. Too goddamn tech for basically no reason that I can really figure out other than a seething disdain for orthodoxy that I can't help but find annoying. Some individual guitar parts are nice, especially those that are more chord-based and less "riffy" if that makes sense, but get trod on by a hyperactive, knows-no-restraint drum performance. One definite positive I can point out is that your vocals have definitely improved with time, with a lot more power and passion to them than the more undeveloped croaks you had in the past. They're still not quite my perfect cup of tea and still could use improvement but they're much better sounding now. Basically: I like the prettier, post-rockish sounding parts that repeat a bunch and have the swinging drum grooves and wish you'd focus more on that kind of thing and leave the herky-jerky tech demo stuff out altogether. I did like the synths, though, which were really tastefully incorporated and, I felt, forced you to lighten your hand a bit with the ADD-ness of the drumming and riffing. Probably there are lots of people who will like this exactly as it is, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Tanaros
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:53 am 

Quote:
Tanaros - Wintergedanken

This one's cool. Love the way the guitars just stab away at repetitive riffs while the really rounded, fluid bass tone injects these little melodic flourishes into the riffs to keep things interesting. Also some really good lead work in this and good vocals (even the spoken parts toward the end sounded great). The two things that jump out at me that I'd improve are perhaps giving more reverb and general room feel to the rhythm guitars as they're kind of right there in your eardrums while the rest of the mix feels appropriately distant for the composition. Second, I was waiting for the drum programming to switch it up a bit and fall into a more momentum-bearing groove but it just kept playing that sparse pattern until the blasting part kicked in. Basically just a tweak on the rhythm guitar production and a more nuanced, human (or better at emulating human anyway) drum performance would've done this already decent track wonders. Loved the synth work in the bridge/outro, too. Good song.

@iamntbatman thanks for your review :) I have to admit that the Drums on this release are very minimal which I thought was the way to go as it matches the atmosphere much better in my opinion. But on future releases I really try to make the drum section a bit more versatile and giving more thought into it. I'm no Drummer, so I tend to neglect this part a bit. I'll pledge to do better next time!
A real Drummer would also be something I would love to try. But no one in sight unfortunately.
With reverb on Guitars I have not the best experiences, but maybe I did it wrong?
The guitars tend to sound really muddy or "washy" in the mix with reverb. But I will look into that, too.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 am 

Guitars can start to sound really muddy if you apply reverb to the entirety of the guitar track. Basically you want to apply the reverb only to the mid and higher frequencies rather than applying it evenly across the entire guitar track. The mud comes from reverb'd low frequencies.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:46 pm 

You are both welcome for the feedback I enjoyed listening even if I had complaints additionally thanks for the review thus far Tanaros and batman

Reply to topic