Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
caspian
Wanderer of the Wastes

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:11 am 

Hey bros,
I thought this could be a useful thread. Basically, if you get a new guitar, new fancy pre amp, cab, whatever, include a little photo and do a writeup. From my experience elsewhere these can be useful ways to get info about gear from relatively trusted people.

A few basic rules, off the top of my head:
- include the name, whether it's new or used, and the price in USD.
- let's say two photos max. Try to keep them relatively small.
- Try to avoid tl;dr
- Let's keep it for relatively big ticket items, ie no one cares about how you bought 2 patch leads.

I just bought a new guitar so I'll kick things off.

Ormsby Azure Blue Hype7GTR- $1200ish USD, new.

The first thought when I plugged the thing in was that I was very surprised at how mellow the pick ups are, I had to turn the gain up on everything. My main guitar for a while has been a Gibson les Paul standard w/stock pups, and they're way higher output than this thing.

I started things off with a few clean post-rocky noodles. The clean tone is good - really good. The neck pickup is pretty smooth and delicious, full and warm... pretty much what you'd hope for, and you can split the coils. I'm not used to single coil tones but man it was nice- all this high end sparkle and shimmer. Quite lovely. The bridge too- I normally loathe bridge clean tones but these are divine, they have that prominent mid vibe without the annoying quack. Just really well balanced. I was really taken aback by just how nice it all was. Distorted it's pretty great. It's quite a transparent guitar in that the pedals can really set the tone. Through my orange and big muff clone it was this just this warm, thundering doom machine, whereas through the hm-2 and di'd through a crappy pre amp simulator blah blah it did a really solid death metal-ish tone. I definitely had a good time sloppily alternate picking through master of puppets and it wasn't too hard to get a pretty good, classic metal tone out of the thing.

I guess it's just a case of good guitar + no serious tonal quirks= it'll do everything pretty damn well. I'm sure you could jazz it up if you wanted or you could get a timmy pedal and do some horrible dad rock on it, whatever. Please don't play deathcore on it

Build - flawless. Great set up. Plays like butter. Looks fantastic. Great qc- no complaints at all here. I'm not a hard out guitar expert so maybe the 21st fret is slightly flat or some ...., I dunno. It arrived intune and with the intonation pretty much perfect, no obvious defects, so I couldn't really care less. Thicker strings would have been preferable, but we got to pick the strings it got shipped out with (a nice touch) so it's no one's fault but my own. The fanned frets are interesting. Most people have said "you pick it up really quickly", and that's true, but the wrist feels like its taking a pounding. I assume the thinner than a les Paul neck could be responsible though. I'm used to playing baseball bats. The long scale is a bit interesting - almost feels like a bass on the lower string (I got a 7). I've got used to it rather quickly but I've got huge hands which helps. I daresay it would be hard if you got little girl hands. Try to play one first maybe.

All up I would give it a 8.5/10. For the price it is truly awesome. A really versatile bit of gear, which I'm pleased about. I would've liked a thicker neck which prevents a higher score, but that's a personal preference thing. I won't be buying another guitar for a while but I'd definitely recommend Ormsby for those looking for one, they're pretty great, and yeah really good value for money.

Reply to topic