Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:24 am 

I don't want to disturb people at the place I live at with my guitar amp. Therefore, I want to be able to play and listen to my guitar amp through my computer while playing along to a play along track coming from my computer as well all while wearing headphones.

Now I know everyone is probably going to suggest buying some kind of mixer thing, but unfortunately I am on a really tight budget for the foreseeable future and I cannot afford to pay for anything more than $15. Since I really am only doing this for the purposes of not wanting amp sounds to disturb people and for practice with playing along to play along tracks I think I could be good with this product:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Fema ... B00D683FR8

Does anyone know how this product would work if I were to plug one part of the device into the headphone jack of my amp, the other into my computer and the other with my headphones? Would the sound be relatively normal with it all coming from the middle? Would the guitar amp only be played in the left headphone and the play along track from the computer only be played in the right headphone? Or would everything just be static?

jin_eld
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:44 pm 

Have you considered leaving the amp alone for the headphones scenario and buying something like this (or Google for "Guitar Link") http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 75612.html Just play via he computer. It's below your max budget, so you may even want to have a look at something better.

The cheap one I posted isn't good for CD recordings, but it's enough if you just want to play or record some raw stuff for yourself. I use Guitarix (under Linux) for amp simulation/distortion/effects and you can play along anything you want (some midi drums, mp3s, etc). Another benefit is, that you can immediately record what you play, which is really handy if you are working on new riffs.

slaytah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:06 pm 

You can easily play your guitar/combo amp through your computer, with no extra cost. DON'T do this if you're using a separate tube head, you'll blow the tubes if it's not set up properly!)

You'll need a DAW or similar standalone programme to play it through, two standard guitar leads, and a 6.4 mm jack adapter. And also a direct out/line out socket on your amp.

Plug your guitar into the amp input. Mute the amp by plugging a 6.4 mm jack adapter into the headphone socket (not connected to anything)

Connect a guitar cable to the direct/line out on your amp. Then plug the other end into the line in socket of your computer sound card (the blue coloured one). If you're using the internal sound card on your computer, you'll need a 3.5 mm jack adapter to be able to plug it in.

Open your DAW, set "line in" as your input on that channel. Make sure to have monitor on the audio channel switched on, or you won't be able to hear the guitar. Use a mono audio channel, as opposed to a stereo one.

The output of your guitar will most likely be pretty quiet with this setup. So you can max the volume of the amp, as it's muted at the headphone socket, no annoyed neighbours!

Then add other instruments/beats to taste, and play!

Hopefully I haven't come across as patronising, I don't know your level of knowledge so I've kept it pretty simple and straightforward. I used this method when I first started recording music. I've had an external audio interface for a few years now. It makes a massive difference with recordings, but for just playing along to something, the above method is fine.

Reply to topic