Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:08 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I honestly thought GG Allin was a terrible frontman. Some crybaby faggot doing a bunch of other stupid shit on stage because his music fucking sucked, his vocals sucked. No one ever talks about how great his music/voice was... only about all the stupid shit he did on stage and frankly that's gimmick as fuck. It's just as bad as female pop vocalists that strip down to pretty much what trashy strippers wear.

I go to a show for a live experience of hearing music. not seeing a giant baby.

And usually when I meet someone who sings his praises I automatically know this person is lesser in intelligence and I'd never have anything incommon or any proper discussion cause they are already logically flawed.

GG had some great songs. The first GG Allin record with the Jabbers is an awesome combination of power pop and hardcore punk. Had a good voice at the time too. He was the soul of punk rock. He wasn't doing it to impress anyone or do what someone wanted. He did it cause he wanted to. He put his everything into it and I respect that a lot. So many bands I don't see that passion. Not saying you should throw shit but I want to see some life more so then metal horns and headbanging.

Of course seeing guitarists/bass players just stand around playing their instruments is kind of boring too but I cut them some slack. Drummers are usually moving around anyway so they are exempt.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 am 

GG Allin is nothing/nobody to me.

inifinity.. that's horrible.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:27 pm 

All the lyrics for Blasphegram are fully written. Now onto guitars with Cole (yes, a very backwards process we have).

Also, my other, kind of session project, Blacksoul Seraphim, is going into the studio in September. I say "kind of session" because it's really just Josh from Sorrowseed and myself, and even then Josh writes all the songs and I just write the drums (and probably do the harsh vocals if he decides to include them in this album like he did the last one). Still, new stuff to track and it's some kick ass atmospheric doom.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:56 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
GG Allin is nothing/nobody to me.

inifinity.. that's horrible.

You just wait. Me and my new band, Anal Ass Shitting are going to be famous.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 am 

Written about 5 minutes straight of various riffs for a collab with SLK. Now I just need to write another 5 minutes of riffs and start putting them together to make songs. I think it's gonna be good.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:12 pm 

recorded drums for 4 different projects a total of 13 drum tracks today. which was roughly an hour and a half of drumming, songwise that is. it was a session of around 4-5 hours for me to learn and get comfortable to each song.

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:13 pm 

Recorded some improv guitar drone influenced by Barn Owl, and Earth's HEX. I'll probably do a few more versions as I made a few mistakes in the one I recorded today.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:24 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
recorded drums for 4 different projects a total of 13 drum tracks today. which was roughly an hour and a half of drumming, songwise that is. it was a session of around 4-5 hours for me to learn and get comfortable to each song.

How many takes did you do per song?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 pm 

Doing a songwriting challenge today from a book I have. Sitting down and doing nothing other than writing music today for 12 hours straight. The goal is to get 20 songs done. Not necessarily 20 good songs, just 20 songs period. In fact, you can purposely write 20 bad songs and that completes the challenge. It's going really well so far.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

How many takes did you do per song?

Not many. I think the most was one song that was like 5 takes. most of them were one take. Basically I listened to each song maybe kinda played to them as I listened, then played through them loosely and then actually recorded them. So by the time I was doing actual takes I'm familiar enough with the song to complete it in one take.

it takes me a bit more when I'm doing other people's songs since I didn't write them. But when it's my own, by the time I write and do a scratch track I already know all the ins and outs and can one take them without a hitch.

Didn't get to really record more drum tracks today cause I had some guys come over and we had a Dragunov practice, breaking in a 2nd guitarist. completely new to the style but caught on once he got his strumming to proper speed. we also wrote and recorded 2 songs that will be for an upcoming split.

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:33 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I think the most was one song that was like 5 takes.

I hope it was Global Murder Initiative. Otherwise I'll feel like I didn't write technically enough!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:42 pm 

That one I didn't have friday, you had only sent me the guitar pro file which I can't use. I plan on tackling it soon next week.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:10 am 

Finished my 12 hour/20 song writing challenge. I only got about 13 songs but I'm happy with my results. I got some shitty ones (which is expected in this challenge) but I got a couple gems. It's really awesome what you can come up with when you just hit record and try to shred for 10 minutes straight. I ended up with 2, maybe three songs that will make it to my next OSR album. And it looks like I'm slowly making a move toward technical brutal melodic death metal. At least that's what I hope for. I want to crush people's skulls with my music, but still keep a solid sense of melody.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:57 am 

Very cool like some Intestine Baalism? today I shall be mixing. Oh and won another Sunn Concert Lead. And I'm lining up to get a Sunn full stack. crossing my fingers on that.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am 

Intestine Baalism is awesome and I loved that autothrall compared my own band to them :)

Got a label to release our 2nd album already, still working out the details with the guy in charge but things are looking good. I've put in an impossible amount of effort to make this work all the way while holding down a job at the bank and saving for college. Tough shit but that's life I guess.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:15 pm 

Today I'm sobering up haha. Congrats on the album somefella, that's awesome. I'm going through all my stuff from my songwriting challenge yesterday and throwing away the crap and polishing the good stuff, and hopefully coming out with a few more good songs or ideas.

~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:19 pm 

I'm starting my first serious writing, and no amount of theory has stopped me from feeling like I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing. It's fun, though, and coming along decently well. I'm hoping to have a complete song finished by the end of next week.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:04 pm 

I'm watching all the Hellraiser movies and thinking of using them for some musical inspiration. Maybe sneak a voice clip from one of the movies into a song. Hey, it worked for Aborted.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:36 pm 

also Broken Hope.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:48 pm 

Been pretty busy the last week or so - jazz gig last week, then playing jazz all week, then a gig with the post-metal band last night, a three and a half hour gig with the jazz band today, been confirming more bands for gigs I'm organising, started writing a black metal album, and accidentally started a metalpunk project as well.

Fun times.

guitartheist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 pm 

I'm working on some tech death with ShaolinLambKiller and AzzaKnowldy, some other tech death called Neurosaga, my second old school death metal album with a drummer I met on craigslist, a solo death metal ep based on the july/august songwriting challenge, and my solo progressive stuff. Still plenty of time for finishing college and all that jazz.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:39 am 

New band finally able to play again by next month. It's been a long hiatus.

Learning Pathless Land (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pat ... 3540351237) songs for a soon-to-be live experience of that music.

Slowly, but surely, putting Satan Fuckers together.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm 

I wish I could be home recording some of that tech death and what not but since I'm stuck up here... i've been painting and I got youtube to finally work in playing some music so out of boredum I have basically been listening to Death songs while reading the tabs along with the song. :/ At least I like knowing I can read tabs that fast to songs I know and basically can picture myself playing them.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:34 pm 

So I went out and bought my first bass today, an Ibanez SR370M, paid $449.88 after taxes. When I got home I just sat down and started playing Money and began coming up with some cool desert-y, droning riffs. I finally put it down after about 6 hours, the neck and tone is awesome but the body was starting to dig into my leg. :-D

Here it is for anybody who's curious:
Spoiler: show
And sorry for the gigantic resolution, I wasn't aware my camera took photos at this high of a res

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:52 pm 

I really like the SR basses that I've played.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:05 pm 

Ha, so my band got offered an opening slot for classic Canadian new wave group Platinum Blonde. I'm gonna ask them for hair styling tips. If I can rock hair that big, I will be unstoppable. I'm not sure if they charted much in the US, but they were a pretty big deal here back in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCfEAzeLP-w

Last edited by newp on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:59 pm 

Congrats. I am familar with them via name alone, I might know one of their songs. i'd have to look up and listen.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:11 pm 

Thanks. They definitely aren't one of my favorite 80s new wave bands as some of their stuff tends towards schmaltz, but some of their hits I dig. 'Doesn't really matter' has some sweet flanged guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4SOnBDe7qs

They might be best known these days for 'Not in Love', which was re-popularized by the cover Crystal Castles did with Robert Smith.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:40 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Ha, so my band got offered an opening slot for classic Canadian new wave group Platinum Blonde. I'm gonna ask them for hair styling tips. If I can rock hair that big, I will be unstoppable. I'm not sure if they charted much in the US, but they were a pretty big deal here back in the 80s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCfEAzeLP-w

Congratulations dude! Platinum Blonde is the shit, one of my friends found one of their cds in a truck that he bought and we always blast it when we're bombing around town.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:28 am 

Just bought a Nux Frontline-15 amp for practice purposes, as well as for teaching my bassist songs and doing guitarist-to-guitarist rehearsals. Liking the amp voicing a lot for the distortion amp models, though the metal ones have a little bit of an annoying midrange honk even with the EQ heavily scooped. But it gets the job done and the lead channel sounds great too. Perhaps I'll post a demo tonight.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:28 pm 

So show in Jamestown went over pretty good. Not many people showed up and the touring bands didn't get to see us because they were late. But overall not bad. I enjoyed driving around with the band mates to the show so we are going to set up a little three day tour.

Wrote a newer song that is straight up old school death metal. Think Possessed but a bit grind-y. Recording in a few days hopefully and we will have our EP out hopefully by the end of the month.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:09 pm 

Spirit Division had its second show Saturday night, which may have been the best gig I ever played, and Ebonmere is undergoing some lineup changes right before a couple shows. Go figure.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:43 pm 

Finally left Texas and came back to Baltimore. This humidity blows, but it's nice to be in my studio again. Now I just need some adapters so I can hook my new interface up to my comp. Also getting my main flying vee (one I hand made) refretted. I make nice guitars, but I suck at fret jobs. It's an artform, I swear. I should have that back in 3-4 days, and then I think I'm going to reshape the back of the neck a tad. I've been trying to record some scratch tracks with an actual guitar amp instead of using a VST, just working on getting the mic in the right place. I have a randall isolation cabinet with a celestion greenback and it has kind of an odd tone. I have some vintage 12 inch alnico speakers from the 60s that sound amazing, I might just pop one of them in there instead.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 pm 

Just figured out my sister has a digital camera I can bum. I'm gonna start recording covers probably, now it's just hard to pick which ones to do. I think the first one will be Fiery Serpents. Just need to figure out that last part.... fuck.

Edit: SLK, nice.

Last edited by SweetSilence on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:32 pm 

Tear it up with that alnico!

I thought about uploading some videos of me in the process of recording songs for my stuff I do. I still might.

Just scored 2 SUNN 412L cabs.

with the OG speakers in them. :) well worth all the fucking aggrivation I went through to get them.

Filosofuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 pm 

jugchord07 wrote:
I'm also 17 never recorded anything though due to lack of good equipment.

If you have a computer, that's all you'll ever need to make music. If you have instruments as well, that's even better.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 pm 

I'd recommend having instruments as well.

Computer vst and midi music sucks ass.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Computer vst and midi music sucks ass.

Hey! :p

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:41 pm 

You know it's true that's why you are amping out an amp right now!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:25 pm 

The post-metal band had an awesome jam today - and we got the bones of two new songs down. One is a very ambient, tribal, post-rocky one. Kind of like Sigur Ros crossed with Joy Division, somehow. The other goes from super fast Converge style d-beats to Neurosis-esque doomy riffs, and then it ends up with a Latin groove underneath a riff that sounds a bit Cult of Luna-ish...

The blackthrash band is starting up again this week after a month or so off. Should be good getting back into it.

The black metal band is facing the most difficult problem any band faces - deciding on a bloody name.

The folk metal band has a gig at the start of next month opening for Skiltron. I don't like Skiltron. So, I guess we'll just have to upstage them.

And then I started writing stuff for a blackened metalpunk band. And I've got this black metal album to write.

Never enough bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 185  Next