Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:22 pm 

hey guys, a few questions/opinions regarding Goat Martyr. I was thinking, just if you guys were to imagine the band, an occult, satanic blackened death metal band, what images pop up into your head? What kind of music do you imagine? Do you hear more of a Bephegor vibe or a more traditional, melodic Necrophobic style of blackened death? So far the songs I've written are somewhat in between the two, but I'm not sure whch ones I'll keep and which ones I'll scrap. The two other dudes that are in the band haven't an idea, either.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm 

When I think of occult satanic stuff, I think of something like Archgoat!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 pm 

oh, alright, cool. The vocalist of Archgoat was always fucking beastly to me.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 pm 

yea I think more beastial stuff than what you had meantioned.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:24 pm 

recorded some tracks for a satanpope song. Going to finish the third, or maybe fourth track tomorrow hopefully. This could turn into a single song around 4-5 minutes, or be part of a longer song, but I'm debating that because of the quality and style difference that the next part would have. This part was recorded with a yamaha sr-22 and my honeytone amp for the guitar parts for a raw dungeon synth sound, but the next part will be almost strictly my 15w line6 spider iv and will be the same riff, but in a heavier doomy style. I might just extend the part i have a minute with some sustained drone riffs and then come whaling in for the second part, but I'm not completely sure. Do you guys think a raw bm/ dungeon synth song can lead straight into a drone/ doom song, or should they be separate tracks?

Also, started writing some grindcore, though I dont think I will have enough completed in time for the grindcore contest deadline. Regardless, I hope to continue with it even if it's not done for a while.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 pm 

I haven't even written anything for it. I haven't felt like it since it was pretty much hijacked from my hosting.. so to me it's as if nothing is happening at all.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm 

Big_Grand wrote:
Do you guys think a raw bm/ dungeon synth song can lead straight into a drone/ doom song, or should they be separate tracks?

I think it can. Depending on how the raw bm/ dungeon synth song ends and how the other begins it would actually sound really awesome. I would use a similar tone for the guitars as it might sound odd if it isn't done right. Maybe beef up the first songs guitars a bit?

Might do a floppy disc release for Pentu on SNUFF(disk).

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:42 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

or Witchrist.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm 

lol a floppy disc release. that's def just doing it because it's different cause there's no other purpose.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:38 pm 

The floppy disk release idea is goddamn brilliant.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:05 pm 

Some grindcore band beat you to it, although I think they used those hard plastic 3.5 inch discs.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:15 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

or Witchrist.

hmm, well that's interesting because so far we don't sound that much like either of those bands. Whatever, we'll see how things turn out lol

BastardHead wrote:

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:18 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
lol a floppy disc release. that's def just doing it because it's different cause there's no other purpose.

Well it is compressed differently so it will sound different. However it really is pointless as people will just use the download codes. I just want to release something physically. I don't care about even making my money back or even getting money. Pentu is just a fun little side project.

More bands then you think have released floppy diskcs

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:41 pm 

Restrung my bass and wrote a blackthrash song for a new band I've started. Abigail/Aura Noir/Flagellator/later Darkthrone style fast nekro shit. It's pretty fun.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:48 pm 

Awblaster wrote:
Restrung my bass and wrote a blackthrash song for a new band I've started. Abigail/Aura Noir/Flagellator/later Darkthrone style fast nekro shit. It's pretty fun.

This sounds dope. Abigail is like my favorite band from Japan.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:19 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Well it is compressed differently so it will sound different. However it really is pointless as people will just use the download codes. I just want to release something physically. I don't care about even making my money back or even getting money. Pentu is just a fun little side project.

More bands then you think have released floppy diskcs

I'm well aware of how many have. I think it's just dumb cause I personally don't buy them, don't download the work on it. It's basically to me a waste of effort, but that's me. Cause the way I feel if you put your work on something that's so unfriendly to utilize in listening to it... I feel you probably didn't put much effort into what's on it and more on the packaging of it, which is how I feel about tons of noise artists... very elaborate and sometimes cool packaging for tape hiss and bass hum.
If you want to do it I'm not going to stop you nor can I, but I'm just offering you my thoughts on it.

And don't give me that want to release something physically nor making you rmoney back or getting money. I'm the same way but I put it out on formats that most people can easily listen to at any time and not odd for no reason.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm 

Not so much as a musician, but been planning releases and promoting releases on my label so far. Here's one particular split tape that's awesome. Also, probably making my label releases limited to online and analog formats only.

Here;s the promo for those interested:

http://ancientincantations.bandcamp.com ... eath-promo

Also, great black metal demo that got lost in time, which I'm rereleasing remastered:

http://ancientincantations.bandcamp.com ... orse-promo

Lol

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:54 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
hey guys, a few questions/opinions regarding Goat Martyr. I was thinking, just if you guys were to imagine the band, an occult, satanic blackened death metal band, what images pop up into your head? What kind of music do you imagine? Do you hear more of a Bephegor vibe or a more traditional, melodic Necrophobic style of blackened death? So far the songs I've written are somewhat in between the two, but I'm not sure whch ones I'll keep and which ones I'll scrap. The two other dudes that are in the band haven't an idea, either.

Why not keep both? You shouldn't feel a need to confine a band to a one-dimensional sound, mixing those two would make for some variety while still being able to be cohesive.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:48 pm 

I decided to try my hand at writing some dark ambient stuff and wrote two songs. Kinda fun. The epicverb VST comes in really handy for ambient music, by the way. I'll try to write a few more this weekend. At this rate I'll be releasing an album from every subgenre of metal within the next year or so, so I might as well add dark ambient to the list. Maybe I'll write a sonata or something too.

~Guest 295685
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:44 am 

My Groove metal band is falling apart. Just after opening for Dying Fetus, and getting ready to record our first demo, our drummer and bassist quit. I'm looking to start a doom metal side band, and I've also wrote a few atmospheric black metal songs, and arranged a dsbm version of Shout by Tears For Fears xD

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:51 am 

No offense, but any cover of Tears For Fears is an awful idea since it'll never be as good as the original.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:12 am 

Guitar tracking begins tomorrow. Strings stretched, gear up and running, and fingers practiced to the bone, like it should be.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 am 

Nice, yesterday I did manage to go down and record vocal tracks for 3 Draug song for that upcoming full length.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:31 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm well aware of how many have. I think it's just dumb cause I personally don't buy them, don't download the work on it. It's basically to me a waste of effort, but that's me. Cause the way I feel if you put your work on something that's so unfriendly to utilize in listening to it... I feel you probably didn't put much effort into what's on it and more on the packaging of it, which is how I feel about tons of noise artists... very elaborate and sometimes cool packaging for tape hiss and bass hum.
If you want to do it I'm not going to stop you nor can I, but I'm just offering you my thoughts on it.

And don't give me that want to release something physically nor making you rmoney back or getting money. I'm the same way but I put it out on formats that most people can easily listen to at any time and not odd for no reason.

It's apples and oranges because the people listening to our music are completely different. I have maybe 15 people that like my stuff so why should I make 15 CD's when I can do something that is a little bit more "personal" then just a cd and some artwork. It's something to "collect" as lame as that sounds.

In the end it's never up to the fans to decide what I do with my project. I mean my friend has put out two 8-tracks. Is that a viable option? No, but who cares. Should I never put out vinyl because my fans won't be able to play it in their car? No. I do things because these are things that are important to me. I put a lot of effort into my music and I sometimes the easy way isn't the right way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:48 am 

I had my say on it, you really didn't add or actually say anything different from why I was saying how I view you doing it for. So thanks for re-emphasizing what I said.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:43 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Nice, yesterday I did manage to go down and record vocal tracks for 3 Draug song for that upcoming full length.

Right back atcha lol. How's about a trade when we're both done :D

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:06 pm 

Oh and I just got done giving some third party opinions to my vocalist who is mixing our friend's new Blackened crust band, check it out fellas and lemme know what you thiink(especially with regads to the production) : http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=330769317024078

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 pm 

I'm def down for a trade!! I'm currently drawing up a few designs for the possible album art, also a new logo has been completed since it does indeed look like it says DAD.

I'll check the crust in a bit.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:53 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I had my say on it, you really didn't add or actually say anything different from why I was saying how I view you doing it for. So thanks for re-emphasizing what I said.

I got the comp that me and Frog were on, well whoever does House of Dagoth is. Really digging it.

BlackWidow1992
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 pm 

Just got done recording a few demos towards my bands debut album. We used to play doom metal, and we still do sort of, but with more of a psychedelic/gothic theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtQl5tiqX8

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm 

How can it be an opinion when you stated the exact thing?

Anyway jammed with my full band, ironed out the timing of the first song, wrote a bit towards the 2nd song.

recorded vocals for the final Draug song for the split and wrote and recorded a 54R track for a comp that's supposed to be pretty decently circulated and shit.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:10 pm 

Finished recording demo tracks, putting vocals in later today. It's just a live recording with an sm57. It's for our vocalist to listen to and memorize the lyrics, pretty soon we'll track everything appropriately and add in bass and keys for atmosphere. This is our latest song and it's my favorite so far. It's just me on drums and my friend that plays a 7-string electric violin, I should just wait to post until the vocals are added in but goddamnit we're basically the only ones that have heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PakOzlaJ ... e=youtu.be

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 am 

Do any of you guys have experience with portable digital recorders? I've wanted to buy one for some time now, but I honestly have no clue where to start. I've looked at several Tascam models (the DR-07mkII and the DR-40, respectively), but I have no experience with any digital recorders. I'm looking to spend $250 at the most, are there any viable options in this price range?

Koji_Sunioj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:38 am 

I've been in a few bands a year ago when I was in the states, since those fell through I'm just building my skills with technique and possibly songwriting. I got invited to play for a hardcore/crust band as well as a drum/bass project. I might consider it, but not rushing to join any new bands just yet. I think I've come to the point where I feel I would be ready to start writing and directing a band of my own for the music I like. I've had alot of experience playing with bands of various styles just for the sake of experience, I think its time to follow my own creative will now.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:44 am 

Gig on Friday at a bar in Stockholm. Blood Mortized will also be playing.

Played an all ages show outside of Stockholm on Saturday and the kids were positive to us.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:31 am 

been thinking of a new subject for new morbid footnote music. The other new one still isn't finished (vocals are yet to be recorded) but I cant sit still..

I thought about about arranging some 15th century music (mostly madrigals) in a metal style, recorded a test with crappy digital drums and guitar rig

http://primalorder.avorym.nl/depres.mp3 yay or nay? :P

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm 

Speaking of releasing stuff on floppies. If it's old school it has to be done on a 5.25 disc.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm 

Lol if you are going that route hell.... just say you have the music on there and just release the floppies. Kinda like that Blood Duster "album" that they said they recorded and then destroyed the masters and then took the vinyl and scratched them up to the point you can't listen to anything....yea I call bullshit on that.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:17 pm 

Into the studio for some more recording with my band tonight. Last weekend we filmed a new video based on JG Ballard's novel 'Concrete Island', and the song we're finishing up is kind of a My Bloody Valentine thing. We've got about 15 guitar tracks and 4 different synthesizers on it. It sounds pretty good but it's gonna be hell to mix.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:00 pm 

Started recording for the black metal demo. This should be quite interesting!

Lol

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 185  Next