Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MindsDoor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:26 pm 

I'm writing down lyrical ideas and playing around with some potential riffs and beats.

Tubbs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:49 pm 

I just finished tracking vocals for my EP. Now it's a matter of mixing them, which is probably going to take a while because I've never mixed vocals before. I'm having my brother play some ripping leads on all of the songs and a friend of mine is working on the cover art, so that gives me time to work with the mix. I plan to get this EP out by the end of the year, unless I can find a drummer to replace the programmed drums in the next 2-4 weeks; otherwise I'm keeping them. It's disappointing that it turned from a potential 4-piece band to a solo project with guests, but I'm just glad I will finally have something complete to show people, even if gets a poor reception for whatever reason.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:21 am 

Scratch tracks for the new Sorrowseed EP are recorded and I'll be tracking drums for it sometime in December. Quite looking forward to this one, especially since the majority of these songs were co-written by me.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:12 pm 

recorded most of my vocals for the track for the challenge.

meet with the guys yest. and I had pretty much skeletoned out a song before they showed. everything went awesome and we are meeting today to nail out x amount of each segment will be played. It's absolutely disgusting.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:51 pm 

Pretty decent week ahead. First we release the Blacksoul Seraphim music video on Friday, then one week from that day I'm tracking the drums for the new Sorrowseed EP, and lastly we're doing our final show of the year in Salem the next day. Quite eventful, if you ask me.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:31 am 

Good deal. I'm just going to mix come sunday.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:16 am 

I re-skinned every drum except the kicks this week for the session. Probably gonna do a mix of miked kicks and triggers just because the four songs I'm doing are fast enough to almost require triggers, but I want the punch of the real kick in there too without totally sound replacing the kick with a sample of the real sound. I'm tracking with the guy who did the Blacksoul album, and the drums on that album were 100% real all the way through, so I'm expecting to get a killer sound out of this session, especially considering I'm using the Pearl kit this time and not the studio's ddrum kit.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:30 pm 

Released this today: https://venomwolf.bandcamp.com/album/wi ... kest-night

I wrote pretty much all of it last week, tracked drums on Friday, guitar/bass on Monday, and vocals on Tuesday. The session was for a mate's uni project, and another band of mine was supposed to do it, but then kinda fell apart again, then another band that was supposed to do it instead fucked it as well. So having been in similar situations before with bands cancelling, I threw this together, and I've ended up rather liking the results. Mixing was pretty fun, due to someone fucking up somewhere the main kick drum mic and snare bottom mics were all of the wrong takes, and the snare top mic ended up with a massive high-pass filter on it on some of the tracks. So it ended up being an experiment into how much I could do with a fairly limited set of drum mics. Thankfully, with metalpunk, you can get away with a lot...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 pm 

Spirit Division is finished gigging for the year and is now in the process of recording our second full-length. Also put a live video up for a song that's going on the record earlier this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir7vdoZUptg

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:43 pm 

Hey, really nice sound quality on that for a live, outdoor recording!

My band is definitely not done gigging for the year, 3 shows in the next 3 weeks. Probably shouldn't have taken all of them but the later 2 should be pretty good, solid lineups and one of them is a 20 year anniversary show for a popular local record store. The first one maybe not so much, but we're gonna try out a few brand new songs plus dig into some really old stuff (well around 6 years old) to keep it interesting.

clawsoftime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:00 pm 

I've been working on a black metal project along the lines of Satanic Blood era Von, darkthrone/early burzum/bathory type stuff. I've been in a horror punk band the last 11 years and really missed playing metal. it's a "one man band" thing and I'm finding it very fulfilling. Just finished the first full length. it comes out dec. 15th. Have put out some eps and and am recording the new one now.

all of it is up on http://www.themurdercult.bandcamp.com

MourningPyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:43 am 

I've been waiting to get started on something, but had a massive hard drive failure and lost the previous two years worth of music. Might I say the mood was a bit spoiled? I wasn't very prolific the past two years, but there were a number of good riffs that I liked - so now I have everything on a cloud, sometimes you just have to learn the hard way with shit like that.

clawsoftime
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:25 am 

damn. that is awful MourningPyre, I have to knock on wood. I don't know what I would do if that happened. I think I'll back some stuff up right now. Keep chugging along. Small breaks from everything is sometimes good to clear your head.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:59 pm 

I know exactly how you feel Mourning, I had the same thing happen to me around 2011 I believe it was. and lost a ton of shit I was working on where I had a bunch already written and recorded some all premixed but no vocals. Some shit I lost forever. some stuff I thankfully did a rough mix of with no vocals so I just went back and added vocals to that, which was pretty much all the Filtheater EP's as I found them on jump drives, some Draug stuff, some Yzordderrex that ended up on the Trials comp i released half of those songs were just premixes. but I had shit I did with other people that who have moved away that I couldn't ever get back and a slew of other shit. I'm just thankful I premixed as much as I did and saved it on my home computer. hell that first Eats Aids album wouldn't exist if I didn't do that.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:08 pm 

I need a real job. Or there needs to be some communist subsidy on instruments to make them a tenth of the price.

I need a 12-string acoustic guitar. Cheapest I can find that isn't no-name is an Ibanez which might or might not be decent for 479 Euros. I still need to look into reviews for various things, since I have a tendency to switch off my brain and just buy when I see the name Ibanez.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:45 pm 

Man, I got gear acquisition sydrome bad. I bought a 3000 dollar Roland synthesizer not long ago and even though I love it I'm seriously considering buying a Korg Arp Oddessey. It's a faithful recreation of an old classic analog, it got great reviews on side by side comparisons with the original, annnnnnnnd I just saw it on sale for only 1000. Like, I probably shouldn't, but on the other hand I absolutely should.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:19 am 

nothing wrong with having G.A.S. I have around 75 guitar heads now.
Just do it.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:39 am 

If I could afford it I wouldn't hesitate, either. I have a list of things I need badly, it keeps growing and is nearing the 3k mark. And that's just really basic stuff I really need, the "would be nice" list - which isn't written out or organised - is a bit more excessive. :lol:

There's a fine line though, which to me is: Am I actually going to use this? Pretty much everything I would like to have I have material in my head I'd use it for. I don't buy things for just playing around.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:25 pm 

Same here, everything I get I plan on using either planned out ahead of time, or by the time I get it and try it out I've figured out exactly what I'm going to use it for.

Hell I pretty much don't even play on anything unless I'm writing.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:12 pm 

I have very bad GAS as well. I want to get a bigger cabinet, an angled 4x12, and I'm also having wet dreams about a Les Paul. I know they're overpriced for what they are, and they might not be the easiest to deal with when it comes to tuning down a fifth, but I'm getting the impression that, for me, a good LP Studio might just be worth the price.

I also really need a proper practice amp. I tried a Marshall DSL-15 combo last week, and it was alright, but it lacked something. Maybe a Blackstar combo, then.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:25 pm 

Finished a new cover today. Morgoth - Resistance
Maybe the vocals are a bit too loud in the mix?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:52 pm 

Gonna be adding a couple things to the kit for Friday's session. Firstly, a Sabian Hand Hammered 20" ride on my left, making it the first time I've ever used a double ride setup before. Second, for secondary hi-hats, 15" Zildjian K Customs on my right. I can't wait to use those.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:58 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I have very bad GAS as well. I want to get a bigger cabinet, an angled 4x12, and I'm also having wet dreams about a Les Paul. I know they're overpriced for what they are, and they might not be the easiest to deal with when it comes to tuning down a fifth, but I'm getting the impression that, for me, a good LP Studio might just be worth the price.

I also really need a proper practice amp. I tried a Marshall DSL-15 combo last week, and it was alright, but it lacked something. Maybe a Blackstar combo, then.

Well it doesn't have to be a Gibson LP, after all. There are a bunch of LP options from many other brands like Heritage or ESP or Chapman, even. Unless you are specifically going for the low-gain classic rock woman-tone, that Gibson Burstbuckers on a heavyweight LP delivers best (which is not really what the LP Studio does anyway, though a pickup change is always on option).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:29 am 

The ESP Eclipse series seems like better value, but the necks aren't what I want, and most of them come with pickups I'd rather change (JB is great, but I'd put something else in it for variety's sake). Having played some of them, I think they look like LPs more than play or sound like them. Then there is Tokai, and if their LC series is of similar quality to the SG, it's probably not a good investment.

From what I've tried, the weight-relieved (not chambered) LPs sound nicer.

MJS71
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:55 pm 

Struggling to find a drummer for my band. I have written many riffs--some black metal, death metal, thrash, progressive metal... The guitarist and I have been coming up with songs like crazy, but we fired our drummer because he always wanted to hang out with his girlfriend instead of practicing! So in conclusion, NEVER agree to let an Avenged Sevenfold fan in your band, even if he is the only person you know who can play a blast beat. Apparently their fans suck almost as much as they do.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:10 pm 

Nice first post, hope you find someone less derpy.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:19 pm 

Ha! Flakey people suck in general but having on in a band, blech. I don't know how most of you guys do it, but my band sets everything thrusday as practice so we don't need to schedule shit every week. We've got Wednesday as an alternate if someone has a good excuse and let's everyone know in advance, but otherwise 730 thrusday evening without exception.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:31 pm 

that's normally i do with my bands set time/day. usually changes can be done if told well enough in advance or normally said at the practice we are having a week before. if there is some last minute thing that comes up, immediately text me/everyone so we can decide if the rest of us will still meet or not bother.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:27 pm 

I've actually never had GAS, only have what I need. Still using the same gear I got 10+ years ago (except for newish mikes). When I was in high school and would change my strings, I'd keep the old ones in case I broke a string while jamming (which happened a few times, but I don't break strings anymore). That's not to say I don't fantasize about having lots of sweet gear, though...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:12 pm 

How the hell do you got about not breaking strings? I always break strings.

and fantasizing about having lots of sweet gear is G.A.S. just starting up.

I think I finally have my final mix.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:12 pm 

I wish I broke strings so I'd get off my arse and buy new ones.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:31 pm 

I also never break strings. Last time was at least 5 years ago. And it was because the strings were so old/used, the winding of one of the wound strings began to stretch/loosen at the place were the pick hits the strings.

If it always breaks at the same point (for example the bridge) it could be the guitar.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:06 pm 

I've been learning bass. My parents didn't let me play guitar this week, because I missed homework, so I am learning bass as a "backup". It is also a very useful skill. I prefer guitar, it's way more fun for me.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Last edited by Iron Wizard on Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:43 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Just eventually turned out that way for whatever reason. Same thing happened with drum sticks, after a while they stopped breaking and I would just change them after they get too chewed up. I still keep the chewed up sticks just in case I get super desperate heh.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:16 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

and fantasizing about having lots of sweet gear is G.A.S. just starting up.

I think I finally have my final mix.

I haven't broken a string for two years. I broke the string on the cheap acoustic I learned on. This was a couple days after I learned to play. I have not changed my strings for over a year. They haven't broken, and they sound fine. Also, I play a lot, and when I pick, I pick very hard. My cables on the other hand don't last. I'm not good at taking care of cables and stuff, they get tangled all of the time.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:43 am 

I pop strings pretty often something like at least once a month sometimes once every two times.

i stopped shattering sticks every other day when I went up to basically tree trunk sized sticks now they wittle away but sometimes they still break. but at least I'm not dropping 20-30 bucks in sticks a week.

I dont mind changing strings often I just hate it when I'm in the middle of recording. I also pop bass strings but that's not as common but happens enough to meantion.

I play very hard.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:06 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I play very hard.

I'm gonna tell my band mates to player harder, six years together and I've never seen them break a string. Wimps.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:26 am 

Playing hard isn't what's making it sound aggressive. Sure, you don't want to stroke the strings. But technique and the way you hold the pick and how it hits the strings is more important than just striking them hard.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:31 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I play very hard.

So does Lars Ulrich.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:55 pm 

Jasper92 wrote:
Playing hard isn't what's making it sound aggressive. Sure, you don't want to stroke the strings. But technique and the way you hold the pick and how it hits the strings is more important than just striking them hard.

I'm not even playing to make it sound aggressive, it's literally my natural state of playing. playing 'lighter' doesn't feel natural to me. I also use jazz picks that are 1.88mm-2mm. so it's just a fraction of the pick hitting the string.

Drone, I now remember why I put you on block long ago. No need to see your drivel any further.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176 ... 185  Next