Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:24 pm 

okay I'll shoot for 10mins as well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:53 am 

Well, my vocalist began tracking vox yesterday. While I would have preferred to be present, the end result is pretty good. Despite the chainsmoking, massive coffee and Red Bull intake and generally unhealthy lifestyle, his vocals haven't suffered in the slightest and I was pretty happy with the end result. Already sounding badass despite being completely dry (we begin mixing once everything is done). On my end I'm blazing through composing my solos. Which is good because I discard like 4 out of 5 of my ideas anyway. Plus I generally spend a lot of time wanking on the guitar rather than deliberately composing since this motherfucker is so great to play.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:02 pm 

usually the more unhealthy a lifestyle you have for death metal vocals the better they sound.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm 

True that. I think he once asked Paul Speckmann on Facebook how he kept his vocals in shape after so many years and at his age. To which Paul replied: "Drink whisky and smoke cigarettes everyday motherfucker".

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:09 pm 

that's all it takes. hell I do much better after drinking coffee than if I don't.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:09 pm 

Recorded guitars for those 6 songs yesterday and will do lyrics soon. It's brutal death/grind stuff, riff-salad style, if you want to hear what it'll sound like minus vocals: NC-Trap-Atest.mp3

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:47 pm 

That's awesome. really looking forward to this!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:03 am 

Was supposed to go to my vocalist's studio (read: bedroom) to bounce some solo ideas off each other but I end up recording about half the album's worth of guitar solos. Now to compose the other half, and also learn the solo for the cover song. Not Cynic, obviously, but it's an INSANE Paul Masvidal lead, I'll reveal that much.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:53 pm 

just smash fingers.

recorded a Flittering track and drum tracks to 3 songs for a duder.... that while he said Terrorizer styled grind... it's more like Obituary... not that I have a problem with that at all.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:04 pm 

Just attempted to record .... again.... and once I hit a certain spot in a song where there is a lot of double bass and shit protools stops and says it can't transfer data fast enough... this is really pissing me off and I have no idea how I am supposed to record when this constantly happens! I Ctrl+Alt+Del'd and closed all processes that didn't need to be running and it didn't help worth a shit.

For shits and giggles I attempted to record bass drums alone, and then record my upper body as its own take... and it didn't freeze at all. I really don't want to rely on doing such a stupid thing, but if that is what its going to take to record, then so be it :( . I would have busted the song out today, but I am just mentally and physically drained from playing and stopping, figuring the issue, try again, nothing.... maybe I'll have time tomorrow or something.... ERG!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:23 pm 

That is some aggrivating bullshit. I would've probably punched something that is breakable and costs money to replace.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:28 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
That is some aggrivating bullshit. I would've probably punched something that is breakable and costs money to replace.

I think I threw my headphones a couple times (they're already broken :D ) and smashed computer and the only thing that happened was that the battery popped out :lol: . It even did this shit on my Funeral Doom project, how much slower can data be transferring!??!?! I'm sure running a USB interface with a lapotop isn't the fastest way to record.... but fuck, shouldn't be THIS bad.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:30 pm 

maybe a firewire if there is a port out for that on the recording device.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:51 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
maybe a firewire if there is a port out for that on the recording device.

My laptop doesn't have a firewire input in it, otherwise I would be all over that! I was wanting to buy a desktop computer since I have a firewire card already and use it only for recording, but that never happened. I may just "cheat" and record my hands and feet on different takes. It's not like its any worse than what Slayer did on "Show No Mercy" where they recorded the cymbals in a different take than the drums :)

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:45 pm 

SLK, cool I'm looking forward to the split too! And it'll be on cd, yay. btw, the final time for my half is 11:53.

John, that sucks to hear. Are you recording 24bit wavs, and are you able to switch to 16bit? Also +1 for breaking shit haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:44 pm 

John, there is a slot on the side that's used for varius card readers, but there is one that converts it to a firewire port. it's what i used with my laptop when I was using that before the desktop I now have.

hell yea it's going to be on cd! and I was dicking around with a few riffs, nothing solid cause I was in the mood to do something else so I went on and did that instead of forcing anything. I'm feeling this week coming up some good shits will come forth.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:46 pm 

Went into the studio today with Spirit Division and managed to get three songs completely tracked for our debut album. Unfortunately, we're gonna have to rerecord the three we tracked in another studio last May due to the member changes and different sounds. Thankfully we're only gonna have eight or nine songs for the record and the session prices at the studio we went to today are pretty affordable, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Also helps that our new guitarist has an insane Dave Chandler-esque tone that suits us so much better than any other guitarist we've had.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:25 am 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
SLK, cool I'm looking forward to the split too! And it'll be on cd, yay. btw, the final time for my half is 11:53.

John, that sucks to hear. Are you recording 24bit wavs, and are you able to switch to 16bit? Also +1 for breaking shit haha.

I have it set at 16 bit and then 44.1 as the other setting thing. (sorry, not the brightest with recording terminology). It went a long while with no big fuck ups when I was doing demos, but of course now that i'm attempting the real thing.... :lol:

SLK - I did in fact order one of those, but turns out my laptop doesn't have the port for that. There is a card port up in the front that says SD - MMC, but I couldn't find the proper one that'd fit in there....

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:37 am 

Oh that sucks a huge donkey dick. Well when you are going to get a desktop I suggest going to office depot and getting you a power horse. I picked up one that has 4 firewire ports on the back.. not that I'll ever need all of them

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:13 am 

I'm not really in a position to be buying equipment just yet, but hopefully before too long I can at least get my hands on a guitar so I don't go insane. I'm almost tempted to try to start writing riffs and stuff in GuitarPro without actually having a guitar but I feel like that might just be ludicrously frustrating.

There's a website called Gmarket here which is sort of like the Amazon of Korea, but it's kind of crap for instruments from what I've found. There are two guitar stores in town that I've found so far - one is a Yamaha store (lame) and the other has almost entirely acoustic guitars. There's apparently some giant "music mall" in Seoul that has a bunch of floors worth of instruments. It's hard to gauge without actually going there as a lot of people have complained about the prices/selection, but they're typical boring people looking for American stuff and just write off all of the Korean brands.

I have so much free time now, I'm itching to get working on that Gloaming album, and I'm starting to kick around some mental ideas for a more traditionally-minded black metal album, too, before I get back to writing more Coma Void material, but at this rate it'll take me forever to get anything done D:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:34 am 

That's the saddest to have the time to do something but not have the means. I have an ep of 2nd wav black metal I'm sitting on. I was going to be writing an album that was going to be for a dude on there, but going off a few other friends that have or used to work with him telling me the low down on how he does business... looks like I'll be just holding on to it myself. haven't decided if I'm doing the vocals or I'll bring someone else in on it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:15 pm 

http://youtu.be/9y4WmZ9cjPY

threw this up today, it's from the new Flittering album coming out probably this month.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:12 am 

Poisoned By Life is releasing a new single tomorrow. Fifteen minutes of new material.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:19 pm 

This morning I was able to squeeze out roughly 18mins worth of grind drum tracks along the lines of Insect Warfare for a friend in canada. Something like 60 tracks of blasting. tentatively going to be called Fireball island cause we are both goof balls.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:23 pm 

Ahh, obscure references. Gotta love it. I made a reference to one of my favorite childhood videogames in that really crappy "Perpendiculous" song I wrote a few years ago.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:26 pm 

I remember playing that game a ton back in when I was a kid, my mom still had it so I asked to get it down cause I planned on I don't know... hanging it on the wall or something... well it had been moved to the outer shed and it apparently got ate up by some animal, the box is pretty fucked up and all the pieces are missing. very disappointing. I looked on ebay a bit ago apparently complete sets of the game in good condition are going for 2-300. My mom got it for 5 bucks back in the day. such ashame.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:11 pm 

Quick question: Does anyone think that 73 minutes of material is too much for an album release? Or is it better off keeping it down to about an hour or so?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:01 pm 

really feel it's pushing it. Only bands that can get away with that are drone doom like Bunkur or Corrupted and even then they usually stop it at an hour or a little over an hour.

a normal album like that... ehh you will loose the audience even if everything is killer cause they'll just get ear fatigue. If I was you I'd pick out my strongest stuff, what is long enough for an album around 45mins and save the rest for eps. with that 45-60mins you'll be far more impactful.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:42 am 

I don't even like making em that long, 45-60 minutes. Some of my favorite albums conclude in half an hour. If I had 60 minutes of good stuff I'd split it into 2 albums.

For eg sometimes I feel like Deicide did that with the s/t and Legion.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:40 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
grind and Fireball Island

This is something I need to hear.

I've been writing, re-writing, scrapping, writing, and re-writing leads and guitar layers for Spawning Vats, and in the process wrote a bunch of riffs that might be used for that band. Never satisfied.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:34 pm 

yea I tend to agree with you somefella, though my favorite album is an hour long but it's Gorguts so they can do that.

and Dragunov you'll love it. also bring down them goddamn riffs! If you want to come down this month I'm free the 25th and then after nov1st I'm free every weekend with no plans.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:48 pm 

Hell yeah man, I think Caldera might be practicing that weekend, but I'm not 100% on that one. November is looking great for me too, I'll hit you up once I get the details. I'll also have the rest of that $$$ I owe you for the cab.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:47 pm 

Solid! Hell I'll be happy to be able to walk down my hall of amps finally! haha... all in time to pile in more.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:05 am 

More vocals recorded yesterday, raw tracks already sounding good. I don't like the idea of lots of effects on vocals anyway. I think a dash of reverb/delay or distortion to add some character is enough already.

More solos to be recorded tomorrow, hope it goes as smoothly as the last time. Last week, I showed a solo to my vocalist and his reply was "that sucks" so I just made something up on the fly which he liked a lot better so we decided to keep it.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:22 am 

I wouldn't have thought about ear fatigue coming in to play. Thank you guys.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:40 am 

You are welcome. We are here to help, or at least offer our thoughts you can chose to take or not. haha.

Somefella, I agree with you on vocals. bit o reverb is all I do.. .unless I'm purposefully doing some cavern sounding bullshit.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:03 pm 

You mean like.....Cavern Paintings?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:56 pm 

I have no idea why haven't I ever thought of that before... GODDAMN IT'S BRILLIANT

sherlockmist
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:50 pm 

Metal: Looking for some people who want to do some experimental death/black metal, but the only people I know who are interested in that sort of thing are lazy fucks.

Non-metal: Working on an EP for my electronic/industrial/spoken word project VultureEye. At an absolutely road block with one of the tracks because there's a sound I'm hearing in my head but I don't know how to create it with my plug-ins and that's holding up production (I'm not the greatest sound designer yet). Also getting interested in trying to make this project work live, so I'm saving up money from my job for this (http://www.amazon.com/Hercules-DJ-Control-Instinct-Controller/dp/B0087DTP9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412981359&sr=8-1&keywords=Hercules+DJ+Control+Instinct ).

https://thevultureeye.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/thevultureeye
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VultureE ... 1827727215

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 pm 

sometimes you'll have to look outside your immediate realm of possible bandmates in your city. maybe reach further out or turn to online if that's possible.

recorded 6 tracks for a Zombie Raider's split. i'll mix it tmwr.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154 ... 185  Next