* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 pm 

Auspicium wrote:
CorpseFister wrote:
Nice. Any nerves getting back into it after so long?

liquor helped, haha. It was pretty nerve wracking at first realizing that I was the odd man out at a show with two hardcore bands and a doom band, but after getting into it I was alright. Might even do another one here soon!

Any recordings of it? I'd be interested to hear them. Also, do you know when you'll be playing Auspicium shows yet? I'm interested in hearing that in person!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:09 pm 

Auspicium wrote:
CorpseFister wrote:
Nice. Any nerves getting back into it after so long?

liquor helped, haha. It was pretty nerve wracking at first realizing that I was the odd man out at a show with two hardcore bands and a doom band, but after getting into it I was alright. Might even do another one here soon!

Ha, yeah I feel that. No matter how many shows I've played or how much I've practiced I always get on edge before a show. I feel great once I'm onstage but a pint or two to calm my pre-show nerves is standard operating procedure.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:06 pm 

I'm only anxious upon getting to the actual show. And that's mainly cause I want to make sure I'm there everything is loaded in and accounted for. Once that's the case I have like zero excitement or concern till I'm loading on stage cause it's more of making sure everything is set up and ready for show time.

currently mixing these Corpse Arise songs.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:20 am 

Recording really soon, yayyy. First real recordings with the new guitar/pickups too. Heading over to get some preproduction stuff done like last minute arrangements, tempo maps and tones tomorrow.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:59 am 

Day three with my right index finger in a splint. Hopefully these tendons will actually heal with this, because it has been hard, but not impossible- to play guitar for over a year now.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 pm 

I'd think it'd be hard and somewhat impossible to play guitar with a finger in a splint. Then again, I'm not a guitarist, so I'm sure you've found some way to pull it off.

--

A week late on this, but here's March's Blacksoul Seraphim song, "Sightless Hero". Probably the doomiest one of the bunch so far.

https://blacksoulseraphim.bandcamp.com/ ... tless-hero

Enjoy.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Auspicium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:30 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Auspicium wrote:

Any recordings of it? I'd be interested to hear them. Also, do you know when you'll be playing Auspicium shows yet? I'm interested in hearing that in person!

My friends took some video but I haven't seen it yet. I'm hoping to get set for the Auspicium shows by October, probably see if my friend can play drums for me. Other than personnel, the hardest thing about it is figuring out what the fuck I wrote.

Black Chalice on the other hand, I could do as soon as I get a crew together, which hopefully isn't too far in the future.

Auspicium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:28 pm 

And in the spirit of the thread, that new Field of Spears record came out today.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:07 pm 

Cool deal,

oh and here is what I've been doing that's been the sorta secretive project:

https://www.facebook.com/MaulerCustomCabs

Spoiler: show

Auspicium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:15 am 

Those look wicked sweet.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:16 am 

Blacksmith is plugging on this year - we had a bit of a stop when our singer went overseas for a few months, but he is back and we've now added a second guitarist to the line-up and things are sounding tasty. Our first gig for the year is in a couple of weeks with a fair few shows already sorted out for down the track. Hoping to cut some more demos soon and if we are satisfied move onto doing an EP.

In the spirit of exploring other sounds, I've also started tossing around some ideas for a dungeon synth and chiptune project. Not too much happening on this front yet, but I'm kinda happy with what I've been composing so far - hopefully I can get something out under this banner soon.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 am 

Thanks Auspicium! I'm really proud of em, and actually have my first commissioned build that I'm starting this weekend.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:37 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Thanks Auspicium! I'm really proud of em, and actually have my first commissioned build that I'm starting this weekend.

;)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:52 pm 

Got a jump start and started today ;)

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 pm 

Building your own cabs!? Man, that is cool. Those are really nice looking too, plus touring musicians can put them out behind the van in case it breaks down, in order to forewarn oncoming vehicles.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:59 pm 

haha indeed I wanted to make sure they are able to be seen from a great distance. I'm looking forward to the other ones I've already have planned to do.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:17 pm 

How many more would that be? Or is it a secret? Can't wait to hear what they sound like.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:32 pm 

well I have one commissioned build for a 212. and I had enough left over from the birch I bought so I'm building a 2nd one of those but haven't decided on what style yet with it.

what I plan next is a 215 to match the 412 in green I've already done and then after that I plan on doing 2 412's in red but a similar face to the green cab, but with a yellow baffle and the speakers actually arranged like a cross... like this + instead of your standard box look. The way my cabs are done they are a bit oversized so I can arrange them like a cross with no problem at all.

After I do those 2 I plan on doing 2 stained 612 cabs one in birch and one in oak. and then 2 415 cabs stained birch and oak as well. and then maybe I might do a tolexed light blue 612.

But thats my plans on builds outside of any orders that might come in.

I plan on doing a sound test and sound comparision hopefully this weekend. I have to cut it short because I'm taking my Sunn Enforcer and one of my Sunn Concert Leads to get serviced and fixed. But the 412 cabs pictured above are 600watts and the 215 is 450watts

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:35 pm 

Any advice and/or experiences from people who have played basement shows? I'm having my house show with Spirit Division at the end of April and we managed to get a couple other shows in May.

faydfgame
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:36 am 

Trying to increase guitar speed and improving a screamo growl. Any tips or tricks you can offer me?

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 am 

For guitar speed: use a metronome and practice at a speed you can play in until you are 100% comfortable with what you are doing at that speed. Then increase it by 5bpm (or less if necessary) and play again until you make no mistakes and repeat this process for as long as necessary. The persistent dropping of water wears away at stone, it is a marathon not a sprint, etc. cliches but true.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 am 

a screamo growl? Screamo has no growls unless you mean the shitty metalcore bullshit that people now call screamo.

basement shows are fun aside from moving your gear there. bring a dolly or some strong back friends. or at least find out how about you can get your gear down there to know what to expect. Don't let anyone move your head aside from you.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:36 pm 

So we were supposed to open for Eyehategod and Ringworm but the stupid bar in Rochester has trivia night so no locals whatsoever. I have yet to fully recover from the news considering we were confirmed to play. Makes no sense that they would do that since there will be probably like 200 people at that show and they want to end it early so some losers can play some trivia and drink alcohol on a Monday.

But we are doing a split with Faction Disaster. I guess that cushions the blow just a little bit.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:04 pm 

I opened for Holocaust tonight with the blackthrash band. We're getting to a properly decent level of tightness and energy now, really happy with our set. And then Holocaust happened. They're one of the bands that constantly surprises you with how good they are. They played Heavy Metal Mania to finish, then came back on and played it again. Awesome stuff.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:40 pm 

Oh yea friday recorded a Dragunov song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzjYd-YVrTw

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:46 pm 

My band had a release show for our third album last night. IT WAS AWESOME. I can't remember when I've had a better time on stage, it was our night and we owned it. My neck is sore from head banging and at one point I did this uppercut punching move and my elbow burst through my shirt. We had a great turn out and sold a ton of merch. Well maybe not a ton, but around 50 CDs and 15 shirts so I was pretty happy with that.

We cut it pretty close with the CDs though, they only arrived from the factory on thursday! Man, to hold a finished copy in my hands, look at the album art, put it into a CD player and listen to it... fuck does it ever feel good. It's been a long time coming and a hell of a lot of work but it was so worth it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:58 pm 

Congrats dude, always great when a release is out. Post a link or something.

Will be recording the next Oshiego release sometime next week. Turns out my RG with a Duncan JB in it still couldn't match the Schecter with the Invaders in it (which I also used to record the previous album) tone-wise so looks like I'll be reusing it for this next recording. The Ibanez is smoother to play and sounds a tad clearer on high gain settings but the Schecter guitar puts up a fight when I beat the shit out of it which is always a good thing. And they may not be crystal clear or anything but fuck me those Invaders pack a mean fucking punch.

mike40k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:34 am 

I've been re-writing and re-re-writing and re-re-re-re-re-re-writing 7 songs for the next Paths album for the last week. Some of the songs have got to a point where I am satisfied with them, but some of them continue to be an annoyance. I have ideas in my head of what I want, not so much a specific melody or riff, but more certain moods and vibes, but I find it hard to actually make my music reflect that. Anyone else have this problem of kind of knowing what you want but being unable to make it a reality (if my description even made sense)?

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:11 pm 

Here to confirm that SLK's cabs sound excellent, if any of you guys were interested in his work. Super punchy and tight.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:26 pm 

Thanks Dragunov! Appreciate the plug! was fun jamming as well.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44 pm 

Most definitely! We gotta do the Bolt Thrower type stuff we talked about a while back sometime.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:02 pm 

somefella wrote:
Congrats dude, always great when a release is out. Post a link or something.

Thanks, will do when it's online. This was a 'local release' of the physical CD for our hometown fans, but we're coordinating with a publicist for a wider release in late May or early June. He's trying to line up blogs and media to coincide with some tour dates.

I'm not sure if that's the best idea and I'd rather just put it all up now, but our main song-writer/vocalist really wants to push for something bigger and try to break out onto the national scene. I'm a tad skeptical about how much our publicist can do for us, but I am looking forward to playing some shows out of town and curious to see if the album can catch on at all. We'll see what happens, should be interesting either way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 am 

Dragunov wrote:
Most definitely! We gotta do the Bolt Thrower type stuff we talked about a while back sometime.

Any time! I'm def down. and even if you and your bud want to come down to just knock out something in a day. like write and recorded everything on a sat. like some grind I'm totally down as well. I don't take forever to track drums, usually one or two takes when I have the song down.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:33 pm 

Shit yeah, we'll figure something out and grind some faces.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:19 pm 

hell yea perhaps even when you come down to pick up your 212 just some simple shit that can be seesawed back and forth. All brute force. just iron out the thoughts for it so it can be streamlined out.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:30 pm 

I've got a few ideas that I've wanted to try out, I'll bring 'em with me :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:57 pm 

Noice. and anything else you like using if you don't like the feel of my guitars or whatever.

also bring an erection. if not I can supply you with one.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:28 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Noice. and anything else you like using if you don't like the feel of my guitars or whatever.

also bring an erection. if not I can supply you with one.

Yeah man, I'll bring my guitar and my distortion pedal that makes everything sound like I'm crumpling up sheet metal. And I'm erect 24/7 so I got that covered. :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51 am 

Solid, very solid and productive.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:42 pm 

I always think I'll drop by and hang out with SLK when I next visit the States but its conversations like that ^ and on facebook that make me fear for my safety if I do that.

I need to find a new rehearsal studio, this stupid place we always use has a progressively shittier and shittier PA system. Sometimes I feel like their fucking technician, coming in to troubleshoot and repair their equipment for them.

Also took out my HT-Blackfire pedal to play around today and it sounds so much better than I last remembered. I rarely use it because it's troublesome to setup (i'm a minimalist plugin and play kinda guy) but hot damn it is amazing. It probably also has a lot to do with the fact that my chops are in much better shape compared to when I last used it. Will post some samples online soon just because it sounds amazing and because I can.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 185  Next