Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:42 am 

I've been playing with the thought of recording a second Fuck Xasthur demo, and two things helped in my decision to finally do it. First, the return of Xasthur and the climbing of its quality into the infinite, second, the realisation that all the people Blake Judd ripped off were actually people I hate and I must therefore compose a song dedicated to his heroic deeds.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:03 am 

Getting a lot of stuff written to Perdu en Soi, the only thing is and something I'm noticing with the songs i've done in the past is I have a lot of parts here that sound great to me, but they aren't written in well as they could be. Most of the time with stuff after my early Satanpope songs is I notice that I make things come together very fast. I think this could be my absence of vocals and not really accounting for vocals in my music that my writing is lacking in pace. I will say however I am beginning to look into vocals again, just I'm returning to not being very great at harsh vocals, they are sounding a lot like necrophobic to me. I'll admit I'm unsure if this fits all too well with my raw country/bluegrass black metal with Perdu en Soi but I can try. Now I'm using a lot of what feels like my chest and as much stomach as I can use, but I'm still unsure if this style is harmful to my vocal chords or not. I want to try to do a sample sometime this week and let you guys hear it and tell me what you think.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 12:21 pm 

We're putting out a one-song promo demo with Illusions Dead, so we got this art for the CD cover:

This artist is incredible. I don't want every other band to have his work on their albums too, but man, I can't help recommending him. He's amazing.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:51 am 

Finally got my Mesa cab in. Been wanting to upgrade from my Harley Benton 2x12 cab for a long time. Although both cabs have basically the same speakers, the Mesa cab is much, much better.

Added bonus is that a Mesa stack just looks great (I am really happy that the Orange cab didn't sound better than this one :D )

Also did a Megadeth cover this week. A Tout Le Monde:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EvcnngyTRs

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 7:18 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
We're putting out a one-song promo demo with Illusions Dead, so we got this art for the CD cover:
Spoiler: show

This artist is incredible. I don't want every other band to have his work on their albums too, but man, I can't help recommending him. He's amazing.

That art is sweet Ilwhyan! Always really cool to see some nice art to match your music.

My band is getting the artist who did the recent Perturbator album to do the cover for our upcoming record. His concept sketches are looking really good, I can't wait to see the final product.

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:24 pm 

Just finished up the debut Lock Howl full-length. I'm going to wait on the labels to physically release it before I release it digitally. I uploaded a new song onto youtube however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egYRGZ9QkNk

So now I'm done with Lock Howl for a while, I'm going to get to work on writing the full-lengths for Hellripper and Lord Rot. Also in talks with a friend about doing some sort of prog/black metal thing influenced by bands like Code. Could be fun!

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:02 pm 

Got a fullbore metal pedal today, now I'm liking this thing a lot, but it's not working my my four force em1 amp like I wanted it to as far as getting my black metal tone, so I'm back at my spider iv with the fullbore, fulltone gt-500, and tubescreamer. I'm on the metal channel with the reverb maxed, I've got my tremolo up really high, the mids are low, and the bass is non existent, but my tone still sounds a little to hard in my tremolo picking. Why am I so hard? So I'm going to play around with it all some more to get my icy black metal tone I want, I really do want to start micing my amp up anfd getting away from sims as much as I can for some Perdu en Soi I'm working on.

I'll also note that I think I will try and do vocals to the best of my ability for Perdu en Soi, I posted in the critical feedback thread a vocal sample to see if it sounded like I wasn't harming my voice or not and didn't get a response yet but I don't think I am because I'm pushing all of my volume from my chest and only using my throat to crisp the tone so I think I will be ok doing some vocals.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:06 pm 

Finally finished my DIY pedal today. With an amazing enclosure painted by our bassist.
This one is going on my board.

I don't think you want your mids low for an icy black metal tone.
I never tested the fullbore, but I've heard some really good sounds out of youtube vids.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:45 pm 

Big_Grand, you can't expect some cheap solid-state amp to sound great just by putting a bunch of pedals in front, even if they're great pedals. If you're on a budget, invest your money on the amp, not pedals. Agrred with Jasper92 on the mids thing. Bass you don't really need, but mids are absolutely mandatory for screaming black metal tones. If your tone starts to suck when turning up the mids, that probably means you need better equipment. You don't have to dime it, just go with something like 3-5-7 and see how that sounds.

Thanks, CorpseFister. It is really neat, and we're super pleased with it. :) If anything, I find it hard to do justice to such art with my music.

Jasper92, that looks awesome! What does it do?

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:44 pm 

I think a new amp will be something down the line, i was thinking either a tubescreamer amp, evh, or peavey. I will test these out but it will be some time, the next I'm getting is a Ampeg BA-110v2 that I saved up for and even though my guitar amp might not be the hottest right now, I do need a bass amp in general because the only thing I could use is my old 10w ibanez combo that came with my ijx30,

I played around with my mids and you guys were right in that it does help me out. I think my tone is alright and will hold me over a while now until I can afford a better amp, as well as a reverb pedal because the reverb on this spider does add a chilling touch that I enjoy quite a lot.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:20 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Jasper92, that looks awesome! What does it do?

It's a clone of a Fulltone OCD with a built in Tubescreamer 808 in front. When I was jamming at a friend I found that his OCD gave a really nice tone as a boost in front of my Rectifier. But it didn't tighten up the low end like my Maxon OD808 did. So we put the 808 in front of the OCD with gain at zero and volume at 11/12 o'clock and now I have the tone and rawness of the OCD with the tight low end of the Tubescreamer.

The tubescreamer is good, but I always found that it altered the Rectifier tone in a not so really nice way. A bit like there was put a blanket over the cab.

Nice artwork btw, didn't notice it before.
We are planning a recording with our band and I think it would be nice if our bassist made the cover art based on the art on my pedal. A bit more details and more going on in the background. It would fit perfectly with our band logo:
https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=580A2FFD

doc Regula69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:07 am 

droneriot wrote:
I've been playing with the thought of recording a second Fuck Xasthur demo, and two things helped in my decision to finally do it. First, the return of Xasthur and the climbing of its quality into the infinite, second, the realisation that all the people Blake Judd ripped off were actually people I hate and I must therefore compose a song dedicated to his heroic deeds.

Haha no way! I loved Fuck Xasthur. Excited :thumbsup:

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:31 am 

You guys should post your new gear in Caspian's new gear thread.

:oh shit:

Obey the dolphin!

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:54 am 

Nah, I don't want to write reviews. And the pedal is a one-off, so it's pretty pointless to write one.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:28 pm 

Jasper92 wrote:
Finally finished my DIY pedal today. With an amazing enclosure painted by our bassist.

Nice! Love the enclosure art.

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:32 pm 

Thanks! I'll tell our bassist, she was a bit insecure about it at first but she did a great job.

Pale_Pilgrim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:43 pm 

She should definitely keep it up. \m/

My DeviantArt
My old band/project

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:54 pm 

Recorded a small demo for the primary riff in a song today, I'm learning more and more how much to NOT have in individual tracks for the sake of not making the song sound too muddy. The lead track on here initially had me playing the D# string open with each note as it had the woody dark woods vibe I wanted, but when I recorded the initial lead track over the rhythm track you could make out the non-open notes so I had to scrap the open string. Though I'm thinking I will have a piano track hitting a D# single note or D# minor chord. Overall I'm pretty happy with my PDMIC78 in terms of sound, I still want to get some piercing reverb/chorus tone when I drop the lead track in, but maybe I can approach this in the software instead of dropping more money on pedals in front of my $100 amp like I've been doing.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Lt5qLWlAqk

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 am 

Lot of good things have been happening with Spirit Division. Finally got a new guitarist in last month; he's taken to the material incredibly well and another chill guy to hang out with. Playing our first show with him on in two weeks and then have four more local shows booked through August and September. Also hoping we can get some out of town and state shows around the time our next album comes out but nothing has been developed yet.

Also still planning a late summer release for the album we recorded with our last guitarist before he left. He only has a song or two left to mix and may also be mastering it depending on how well he does with it. The mixes he's been sending us sound incredible and I'm quite excited to have another release out there.

Marks
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:19 pm 

Hi
Have never posted here, but seeing as i have nothing better to do. Some time ago i noticed that I had written about 15 new songs for Tankist, these where just rough drafts. I chose the best eight and started making them great. We are gonna hit the studio late July and are probably putting the record out in autumn. So far I gotta say, this is the best stuff yet. Also getting ready to play a few festivals with Rattler (there i'm just a hired gun so to speak, but Rattler plays awesome and complicated death metal so it's keeping me sharp) after the dates with Rattler, there will be some Tankist shows, so I'm going out of my mind trying to fit everything to my schedule :) By the way all of this is happening in Estonia and the Baltic States.
Heils form Estonia
Kevin Marks

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:32 pm 

Well after three or four years of owning my bass I decided it was time I finally got her a bass amp, so I got an ampeg BA110 and I'm loving this thing so far. I'm definitely going to be trying to write bass into the Perdu en Soi I'm writing right now. I'm pushing myself with how I'm writing this stuff right now because in the past I've gotten the comment that Perdu en Soi songs really sounded like demos that a guitarist would give to people to get into another band. I will agree with those comments because my Perdu en Soi songs really did sound a lot like an intro, chorus/solo, and outro, so I really am pushing the writing to have song progression and also for each track to fill its own roll instead of just piling everything on top of each other. It's making me learn how to take the core riff I started with and really know what to divide and put where as rhythm, leads, and bass, though getting the drums to have more depth and trying to lay room out for vocals and just getting past my mental wall of thinking I have too many bars for each section. I'm dissecting songs in black metal albums to understand the writing a little further and learn from them more. Writing aside the only challenge I have is the main riff in one of the songs I'm writing has me change through three strings pretty fast while I tremolo pick, but I'm getting there.

Wrathofkala
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:53 pm 

Personally trying to find myself again as a guitar player. I recently sold two of my guitars to pay for things. The good news is that I was able to purchase a new Jackson Soloist SL2. Very happy with it, but I feel a bit unmotivated and rusty. I have been on and off BANDMIX for years trying to find a THRASH metal band to play with in the Philadelphia area that isn't filled with 16 year old kids, or 59 year old dudes. I think Philly is a bad scene for Thrash. It's actually DECENT for black metal and other types, but for some reason the Thrash bands are in CA, NY, Etc...Anyway, I am just working with my Guitar Pro 6 trying to learn some new songs to post to YOUTUBE (Rican GuitarGod) as well as practice my lead-guitar playing which is my weakest area. At this point if I could just find someone with a drum set to practice with who LIKES THRASH/DEATH metal I would be thrilled!

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:53 pm 

doc Regula69 wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Haha no way! I loved Fuck Xasthur. Excited :thumbsup:

https://blacktribesucks.bandcamp.com/al ... -demo-2016

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

GrotesqueCarcass
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:22 am 

Been trying to finish a new song for my band. It's kinda slow and sluggish but in the Morbid Angel/Behemoth style. It will contrast really well with our other songs which are all fast and relentless with some slower, groovier bits.
Also been looking to buy a used guitar in my city, something along the lines of a modded LTD or a Schecter. Nothing too fancy but something with nice construction and good pickups. I'm in need of one since my trusty Rocket Special strat needs some rest, an intonation and it's not giving me what I need sonically right now.
Finally, besides getting the new song together and practicing with my band for an upcoming gig, I'm also in the midst of writing songs for a solo industrial metal project I've been doing. It's kinda Godflesh inspired, but it's more on the metal side of things rather than experimental with heavy, dense and oppressive riffs paired with a drum machine and nihilistic, hateful lyrics. I've got the cover ready, 3 songs good to go for recording, mixing and whatnot and planning on doing one more and a cover of Dead Head by Godflesh so it's probably gonna be an EP.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:34 pm 

Just came back from the studio. Finished the drums for the new Sorrowseed record. Now I don't hafta worry about that shit anymore, and I get to put on the producer hat for the rest of the creation period.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:17 am 

Well, I've officially gotten everything in place for Spirit Division's next album release. I'm still not sure if it should be classified as an album or an EP since it's just over a half hour long but everything sounds good on it and I'm already seeing some pre-orders coming in for it. I just made a post about it on the Promotional Forum and the pre-order link is in my signature.

On a related note, I find it really funny that our pages are being watched enough to know about the information before I make a public post but not enough to realize that we've had a different guitarist in the bands for the last two months. :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:45 pm 

joined a more traditional heavy metal band on drums, our first show is this sat.

a friend from AZ came down for a week to write and record stuff with me. We did a rather nasty death with touches of doom album, a decent sized grindcore EP and starting on some black metal weirdness planning on an ep of that.

oh and I tracked a new Kamikaze Pilots album recently and i'm slowly been wrapping up vocals on that. heavily influenced by Bolt Thrower. so like short songs similar to Warmaster and In Battle but with only single foot action and single foot blasting.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:05 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38KwUUqjZew

Here's a short clip of me spaz-drumming at a show last weekend. Kind of funny that it was my first time ever playing live as a drummer after drumming for 14 years in my bedroom band.

I'll be putting out two 99-song albums soon. The music for the first one is all written and practised, just have to record. The music for the second one is all recorded, just have to do vocals. The second one is all improvised and randomized. I recorded 99 drum tracks and 198 guitar tracks, then listed them in excel and randomized the order that each track appears on the album. Probably the most fun I've had making something.

Also doing some black metal Radiohead covers.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:26 pm 

Dark ambient/noise.

Www.nodustollens.bandcamp.com

Tubbs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:41 pm 

It's been almost four months now since my band's last practice. My drummer has been swamped with gigs in other bands all summer since that's how he makes a living. I think we're finally going to have another practice next week and hopefully get a regular thing going again. In the meantime I've been writing our first full-length and still been looking everywhere for a bassist to no avail. I think we're going to go with bass backing tracks because we only need to get down one more song to play live and I want to get out there already. The album is almost finished and it's turning out to be super technical and progressive in sort of a Martyr style, very angular riffs but mixed with a lot of straightforward heavy parts and a bunch of thrash and black metal influences thrown in. I have one more track to write which will be a doomy death metal epic. Basically the album is amalgam of everything I've wanted to play in bands for years.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:27 pm 

do you have your demos up in your sig? i'd like to hear some martyr esc material.

been busy. lots of cab work. got new ZR to record. got a bunch of drum tracks for mutliple bands to do. have secondary guitar to write for 2 projects since in one of them the other guitarist backed out of the project. oh I did record all the vocals for the first Thunderdome release and all the vocals and solos for the new Kamikaze Pilots release. recorded fully an EP for Dragunov, surprised the drummer of that could mange the one day recording scheduel. turned out well. I have to make time to mix all this stuff. need to get a new portable harddrive. going to go buy a 4tb one so I can also dump all my other files on it and back up all my pictures on my computer.

Tubbs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:40 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
do you have your demos up in your sig? i'd like to hear some martyr esc material.

Not yet, but we do plan to record one or two of the new tracks very soon. I'll post them here when they're done.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 pm 

Good deal. I'll be around randomly

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:16 pm 

Recorded a 4 minute demo for Perdu en Soi that I plan on redoing eventually. I see some areas were I need to work on the writing, the main focus here was to record a song with a longer song structure than the first two demos, and to work on recording my amplifiers with my PDMIC78. I can tell I need to work on the amp micing, even through the mic was in the same spot for the two parts, the seperate tracks on each one sounded different from one another. Someone got me interested in re-amping, and while I can't drop money on a reamp box, I do have two interfaces to work with and play around with, and I will try a lot of things out in a few weeks when I get my Peavey Bandit 112.

Also my label is going to have a tent at a car show this weekend. I didn't think about it much at the beginning of the summer when I registered to be there, but these past few weeks have been a hell of a time getting everything ready for display but I think it will pay off. Obviously I don't expect a massive amount of people storming my tent since the majority of my inventory isn't stuff many will know, but I hope to see some people show interest in a local label and I hope to meet some local musicians who may be interested in working with me, regardless of the genre.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:50 pm 

Clogged sounded good.....

this is a demo practice of my new local grind band.

https://soundcloud.com/user-878519842/s ... mopractice

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:03 pm 

also no vocals. it's a practice run so we all can stay fresh from jam to jam we have only had 4 practices in 2 weeks. as in inception to now.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:09 pm 

Last edited by Unlife on Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:20 pm 

nIce I thought I saw you post this. I just have to get home and listen to it.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:10 pm 

I tried harsh vocals for the first time. Still need to work on it for a bit but yeah here's what it sounds like: https://soundcloud.com/gates-of-martyr/harsh-vocal-test

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:24 pm 

Got my Peavey Bandit 112 yesterday that I had on layaway, loving it so far. The reverb is excellent and was the only think I thought I'd miss from my spider iv 15w. I still need to play around with the tones to define the two or three I will be using for Perdu en Soi, but I can say I most likely won't be needed to use two overdrive pedals this time, the only thing that I'm still on the border about is whether I will be using my neck pickup at all, because the gain knob on it is a little broken right now and I'm unsure yet if I'll be able to fix it myself, if not I don't want to spend any money on it (unless it turned out to be very cheap) because my next investment I'll be saving for is a new guitar.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 174, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180 ... 185  Next