Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:07 pm 

yea there ain't too many that can manage or if they can get to that point their stamina is garbage. I really can't wait to get back to drumming and I'm really looking forward to crushing some sludge. we had literally wrote around 2 albums worth of stuff but between the drummer forgetting shit and the guitarist forgetting or wanting to scrap shit we kept playing the same 6 songs over and over, roughly. I'd just like to get back to where we were asked to play shows all the time with larger bands, I'd be quite happy with some sort of deal, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:36 pm 

Last time I played any kind of concert was about 12-13 years ago, and that was a small one. I really missed out on playing live at bars and clubs, so I'm hoping I can do that in Colorado. But if not I'm not worried, I'll just keep my music projects going and see how much music I can keep churning out.

Now with all these projects slowly being completed, I'm trying to decide on a price. I would like to charge a buck or two for an album, so I could earn at least a few dollars, but this is the download age and no one buys music anymore, so I know I wouldn't really make anything. If I made it free then at least I could get it out there more. That's probably what I'll do, sell digital copies for free and maybe get a few physical copies (if I can find a small label to sell them for me, that is) and sell them for 5 bucks or something. Maybe even make a tshirt or two, or some stickers.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:46 pm 

I already told you how to do shits like that for cheap, just listen up, you just don't seem to pick up what I'm telling you.

When I return home there are a few things that are already recorded that need vocals mainly that I want to complete up before I tackle anything too new. But I have in mind a ton of new shit and a few new projects to play around with.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 pm 

No I listen, I'm just lazy and I don't want to do it myself lol.

Gotta think of a name for our deathgrind collab also. I was thinking hazed anus, armpit fister, or perhaps plutonium filled udders. Just some ideas. Did you want to put it out on your SRR label? You have a larger audience than I, and I think it's going to be a great EP.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:32 am 

it takes literally less time than it does recording, putting together the songs, or building one of your cabs.

I haven't thought much about the name but yea I figured I'd throw it out on SRR. Usually if I'm doing something in the band I'll be putting it out there unless someone else had lined up shit prior.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 am 

HAZED ANUS!
or maybe...

Colostomy Bag Canteen!
or maybe...

Gutpuke Fuckpuppets!
or maybe...

That reminds me, a guy asked for a physical copy of my last OSR album. Now that I have a few physical copies I need to mail one off to him.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:36 pm 

Work begins on our next album, and we haven't even released the latest one yet. I like this fast-paced style though, keeps everyone on their toes, no slacking off practice or rehearsals.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:52 pm 

Played a show at a good sized theatre on Saturday, got the best reaction out of any other set we've played. Getting ready to go to a shirt place and get a quote on an order and then going to a couple local venues to find out which would be the best place to rent out for our come back show after we "disband" and change our name as well as gain another member and release a second disc. Finished programming drums and writing bass parts for the demo I'm doing of my solo thing, just gotta come up with synth parts and record it all. I can't seem to get a good sound at all, using a stock Bronze series Warlock [only have shit guitars :(] and a Crate GTD 120. Microphone is an SM57 into Audacity on my desktop, think it might have something to do with my soundcard because I've gotten better quality on my friend's laptop in a concrete basement. I'm thinking about getting my RP350 back and hooking that into the XLR/USB and going straight into the computer because my friend seemed to get a good tone like that, although he was running it on a badass pc. Any tips or feedback? I guess I should try putting the mic straight to the speaker, I kind of just set it on something that wasn't exactly tall enough.

ALSO I'm looking for someone to do our new logo, I do okay sometimes but I just feel someone else could do it way better.

Last edited by SweetSilence on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:28 pm 

The Coma Void album is now done, other than lyrics and vocals! The lyrics won't take long but since I'll probably have to practice the vocals a bit I'm still on track for a mid-September release for the album.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:31 pm 

Found a local metal record store that'll sell my CDs. Gotta see how many I have, maybe order some more. They're offering me a wholesale price of 3 bucks each which isn't huge, but I also don't have to pay for shipping or anything, and again I don't really care to make any money from my music. Plus they'll get it out to a lot more people than I will be able to. I may try to print some up in cheap cardboard sleeves and have them just give some away, for more exposure. Once I finish some of these projects I'll send them that way also.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:07 pm 

Actually 3 bucks at wholesale is about spot on for what they should pay. At the high end it would be 4 bucks. So you did well, last time I did some whole sale I did them at basically 2 bucks apiece.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:25 pm 

I'm just kinda broke because the Army owes me $4,000 and they're taking their time paying. I may have to wait until next paycheck to order, I don't want to go too sparse in my cash. Still gonna try to get that ampeg this weekend though. That's a good deal and I want it.

Also wrote a very basic sludgy doom song based on a riff that's been stuck in my head for a couple days, I think it got there after listening to your mountain of beard stuff, which I'm enjoying.

Looks like kunaki only does jewel cases, from what I can tell. Do you know anywhere that has similar prices or maybe even less that uses those cardboard slip cases?

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:49 pm 

Looking for a reliable "back-up" guitar at the moment. Low to mid price range, hard-tail/string-through, stock with passive pickups, not too fucking stupid looking.

I have my eye on the Schecter Omen 6. Any thoughts on this one?

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm 

Infinite... yea I know of a couple of others but the downside is you'll have to order the entire lot at one time and they only do runs of 300 at a time. Anything less and it's about the same price as Kunaki. At least with kunaki you can order 5 at a time as you need, you don't have to get the entire run of something at one time.

Glad you enjoyed that MoB. I've been itching to get back to write and record a full length for it... just debating if I want to stick with the Ampeg rig set up for it, or since my old sludge band is getting back together and I've gotten so much more gear in.. if I want to opt to change it up.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:18 pm 

Foulchrist wrote:
Looking for a reliable "back-up" guitar at the moment. Low to mid price range, hard-tail/string-through, stock with passive pickups, not too fucking stupid looking.

Buy it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:04 am 

Foulchrist, just out of curiosity, what would you classify as a stupid looking guitar?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:35 am 

A guitar shaped like a cheeseburger...
those're some tasty riffs, literally

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:43 am 

^*boos this man*

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:46 am 

Hey, fuck you man!! I put a lot of effort into this! You have no idea what kind of work I had to do to get where I am today!!!

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:08 am 

Might play with Wehrmacht on Tuesday. Would be our "biggest" show so far.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:37 am 

A guitar shaped like a cheeseburger? That could be neat... If it were done it a tasteful manner...

Started on some cover art for Licrest yesterday. It's almost certainly going to end up looking stupid and I'll probably have to start over. I suck at cover art and I never know what to do. I should think of an album name and base the art off that. Makes me wish I were better with photoshop, or that I knew how to paint or something. I think once I get my album done for Licrest I'm going to have some printed off and have this local record store sell them, then I'll take a few songs and burn them onto regular blank CDs and have some cardboard sleeves inexpensively printed off and just have them given away as "demos", basically to increase my listener base. Hmm, my uncle owns a print shop in Florida, I wonder if he could get me a good deal.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:53 am 

Hit me up on what you were thinking about for art.

MalignantTyrant I curse any other members for Goat Martyr to drop the fuck out now because of that horrid joke.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:02 am 

Well being doom and dark and negative and whatnot (and considering a lot of the songs are essentially about my divorce), I started messing around with a black background and a very very dark smoky gray "scribbled" heart shape, and I was going to put some black holes in it and some black blood flowing out. Something very dark and monochromatic. I think if done right it may be able to look neat. If done wrong it'll look cheesy and stupid. I dunno, I'll finish it and see how it looks. I also thought of using a pic of an actual heart, but very dark and blackened line a smoker's lung, with some nails in it or something. I dunno. Like I said, I suck with album art. I lucked out with Black Sun Rising, I found a decent picture on moonringdesign and I modified it to get the final product.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:27 pm 

yea what you suggested even with finding a picture reeks of shitty metalcore:

Spoiler: show

Spoiler: show

Even with everything you want to do that's all I can possibly think of and would never want to check it out.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:05 pm 

Oh fuck. Yeah screw that. I dunno. I was thinking of calling the album "heartstrings" after a line from one of the songs that I posted here. I want something doom and gloomy for the cover. Might have to change the album title, that sounds a bit too melodramatic. On that note though, I am a big fan of old type o negative and was thinking of incorporating more clean baritone/bass vocals, to kinda add a dark atmosphere in a different way. I have the range for it, I just need to practice, and to find the right places to do it without sounding overdone.

Having a glass of wine (like a 15 ounce glass haha) and writing some doom. I love times like this, when it's just me, a glass of wine, and my music. Can't wait until the divorce is final and it can be like this all the time.

I think this weekend I'm going to sell my orange dark terror. It's a great amp, with ridiculous amounts of gain and a very good tone, but it's just too muddy/bassy for a Bb tuning, and with no tone controls I can't really get around it without a lot of work. So fuck it, I'll sell it, save my money, and eventually buy a 5150. And that ampeg this weekend.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:11 pm 

Hey SLK, what string gauges do you use for your A and G tunings? I've been using 12-62 D'addarios for my Bb, but lately I've been wanting something just a tiny bit heavier, for more tuning stability and so when I wail on a chord it doesn't go half a step sharp before settling into the right note. I like the tone of D'addarios, but just to be super picky I think I would prefer something like a 12.5-66 set of strings. Make it D'addario god damnit!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

Ernie Ball are some of the strings I use I think the other ones are DRS or some shit. I usually don't even bother getting specific brands just what's the thickest shit someone has.

and yea I would suggest changing that title. that sounds like some straight up emo-pop shit right there.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 pm 

Yeah definitely time to change.

I think if I can find something like a 13-70 I'll be set for any low tuning ever. Just gotta find it. Just to sound like a string purist, I'm not a fan of ernie balls, I find they lose their brightness more quickly than d'addarios. But considering how often I change strings on these low tunings, I really shouldn't give two shits.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:08 pm 

brightness shouldn't be a huge concern with some lower tunings.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:04 am 

I like a bit of brightness, I find it helps clarity, especially if I'm playing something faster.

Finished the vocals on another doom track. Starting to get some other sounds/influences in there which is cool, not just straight death/doom every track. I have some symphonic stuff, some almost traditional doom stuff, even have an ambient-ish track. I'm up to 6 completed songs, and I should have 7-8 by the end of the day.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:47 pm 

Definitely post the link to the bandcamp/whatever for it when it's done, can't wait to hear it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:37 pm 

Thanks, will do. It should hopefully be soon. Mostly I just need to think of some album art and an album title, the songs will pretty much finish themselves at this point.

Went to guitar center and sold a couple amps I never use, so now I'm almost $800 richer. WOOOOOOOO.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:13 pm 

Speaking of having money laying around, once I'm done with my school payments I'll still have ~$2000 left over. I'm planning on buying a half-decent bass rig in the price range of $500-$800 to start a death metal project (rooted moreso in the atmospheric vein, methinks) but I don't know shit about bass amps. I might end up just making my own thread for this, but I figured that I'd ask an active thread first. Volume is a larger factor since I'm still living at home, though we do have a rarely-used shop in our back yard I could play in and piss off the neighbours during the day :-D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

You can use that 15 you have. But I only know about bigger and louder in my bass rigs.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:40 pm 

Look up an Ampeg SVT-140TC. I just bought one by accident lol. Plenty of volume, super clear and clean and a genuinely great tone. I found mine online for about $250. Throw in a bass cab and you're set. When it comes to volume with bass, it all breaks down to this: Bass sound waves require more power to produce/reproduce. That's why you'll see bass players with a 2000 watt setup to keep up with a guitarist running a 100 watt tube full stack. And decide which bass tone you want: Clean or maybe a slight growl or distorted. If you want clean or even just a slight growl I would say get a solid state amp, as they tend to stay clean as you crank the volume. A tube amp would sound fantastic, but would weigh a metric ton and cost a good bit more in most cases. Just to my ears though, a tubey growl is a wonderful sound on a bass guitar. But that Ampeg SVT140 was crystal clear no matter what the volume, and had a really nice, powerful, professional sound. Now take all that with a grain of salt, as I'm a guitar player and only play a bit of bass, but I have been playing for about 20 years so I do know a few things.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:43 pm 

Oh, and I'm up to 8 finished doomish songs. I should be able to finish 2-3 more this weekend I hope, then I'll post them all here for some help making things just right.

Also just got that SS140. It ships out Monday. I can't wait. I've also decided to just save my pennies and wait until I find a good deal on a 5150. Also found some super heavy strings, 13-65. Those bridge cables will be great for low tunings.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:48 pm 

How much did you jew them down? Or did you even bother?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:51 pm 

I didn't even bother, it was already cheap and I didn't really care about a $20 difference. I'll just be glad to have the amp. Now I'll have two amp head chassis that I need to build enclosures for.

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:59 pm 

somefella wrote:
Foulchrist wrote:

Buy it.

Have you owned/played one before?

I'm wondering if there's any major differences between the old and the 2012 versions. The one I'm looking at is the newer one, seems to have a nicer finish and fancy fret markings. Other than that, are they the same guitar?

Just noticed there's a new music shop in town, and they sell the older one, so I might check it out on Monday. Might ask for a price on my Ibanez 7 string that never gets used too.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:05 pm 

Well at least you got one!

http://youtu.be/8UdKQMEuNjo

Soundtest of the gear I just bought^^^

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 185  Next