Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:12 pm 

Just emailed Profound Lore and Listenable Records. Minuscule chances of getting anything, but it's all worth a try.

Trying out a new drummer on Sunday too. This is one of the songs he has to play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLuyYXbwUII

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:48 am 

My friends and I want to do a noisecore band and my friend who cannot play bass is going to play bass. I figured we could make the bass sound completely indecipherable and noisy-as-fuck. What would be the best way to do this other then buying a ton of pedals?

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:47 pm 

Just make sure it's in key. If you're playing a bunch of crap that centers around E, then have him just play a low E (for example).

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:21 pm 

Get him a Big Muff, stick the drive all the way up, and say goodbye to note definition.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 pm 

I second the Big Muff... the classic green one. not the remake that's black and is meh ass.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 pm 

Next week I've my next studio session. This one I have both the most songs I'll have done in a session yet as well as the most exhausting ones.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:40 pm 

Also on distorting the bass... a cheaper alternative cause I know you can find these everywhere... one of those damned metalzone pedals. They utterly destroy a bass tone... sounds cool so that might be a better avenue for your friend to use to play through.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:05 am 

Looking for a new god damned lead guitarist.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:05 pm 

This week is going to be fun. Supporting Cauldron on Friday with Atragon, then the first gig with post metal band is on Saturday. A gig that I am putting on. And still need to find a guitar cab for...

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:03 am 

After a long night we finally finished Hellige's first song for the new demo, now just one more to go!

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:55 pm 

Woot, Finished my EP, A-Bombinate, I'm very excited. There's also a guy I learned of today that is apparently an adept death metal drummer, so gonna be giving him a call soon.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am 

Started writing vocal melodies for my 60's styled R&B sorta-song, and I've decided to include it in my 60's homage pop-rock/psych sorta thing.

Also, could anyone tell me if this chain of recording would work? I want the analog recording sound, so keep that in mind as per my purpose:

Mic=>Mixer=>Tape Deck=>Line in on computer

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 pm 

New vocalist! Time to get serious!

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 pm 

Recorded a demo the other day of one track with just myself (bass), the singer (who is currently playing guitar) and the drummer, our guitarist couldn't make it. Lyrics and melodies are written, but we haven't got that all recorded yet. I'm happy progress is being made, though - I can't wait to get this stuff out to people as I'm really happy with how a lot of it is sounding (composition wise, recording wise not so much, haha.)

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Looking for a new god damned lead guitarist.

As a lead guitarist, I can honestly say one doesn't need to look very hard for us. We're crawling all over the place!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 am 

The problem is to find one that doesn't his head stuck up his ass!

Last edited by Porman on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:02 am 

Lol, I know that's usually the case with most I've delt with. It's just a matter of breaking them.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 am 

I'm really enjoying being back in America. I also got a new computer, so I've switched all my music files over to it. And I listened to my new album on better speakers and realized the bass guitar is way too quiet. Too late to fix it now. That's the problem with mixing stuff on cheap computer speakers.

I started writing a bunch of uber-short songs for my wife, as a joke. I have one called "My wife's got a big butt" that's 5 seconds long, and one called "Let me pound you" That's 6 seconds long. Just something fun to pass time with, and it makes her smile.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:34 am 

Studio sessions start again tomorrow. Eight songs for me to do on drums, three guide vocal tracks to record, additional percussion to add to some songs, and a keyboard part as well.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:25 pm 

Big show tonight. Well hopefully it will be big, we're debuting a bunch of new material and I'm very excited about that. Set time isn't for 10 hours or so but I'm already getting anxious haha.

infinitenexus wrote:
I started writing a bunch of uber-short songs for my wife, as a joke. I have one called "My wife's got a big butt" that's 5 seconds long, and one called "Let me pound you" That's 6 seconds long. Just something fun to pass time with, and it makes her smile.

And who said romance was dead? ;)

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:22 pm 

The same old shit of trying to find band members. Although I'm starting to just consider re teaching my self how to play guitars and drums, and then just hire a bassist or something like that. Because I will not rest till I make the Hollow demo!

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:29 pm 

Poe Ohlin wrote:
The same old shit of trying to find band members. Although I'm starting to just consider re teaching my self how to play guitars and drums, and then just hire a bassist or something like that. Because I will not rest till I make the Hollow demo!

Whats your locale?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:42 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Lol, I know that's usually the case with most I've delt with. It's just a matter of breaking them.

Agreed. Let em know from the get go that their ego or four minute long solos have no place in metal :)

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:40 am 

I'm finally getting a solid lineup for my prog/power band. Just need a bassist. I'm pretty excited due to just how long it's taken to get something going in this area. The keyboardist is amazing, and has an avant garde background (but can also do Jen Johansson esque stuff too) which I hope will add to the originality. We're sounding real good as a unit and it's really refreshing given the friction I've had so much in the past.

Stylistically it's kind of like Images era Dream Theater and Perfect Symmetry era Fates Warning with a Helloween/power metal edge and a touch of moodiness/atmosphere.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 am 

On Friday night, I supported Cauldron with Atragon. Best set we've ever played, the other support bands were beasting, and Cauldron were incredible. They covered Venom, Bathory, and Manilla Road. Fucking incredible.

Put on a gig last night. Had a post-hardcore band who were actually really good open, then my post metal band did our set, and that went really well. Then had a melodic prog metal band, and then a progressive extreme metal band closing. People seemed to really like my band, which was good, and all the other bands were great as well. Turnout wasn't amazing, but considering that The Exploited were playing as well last night, I did alright. Covered all the costs, and managed to pay some petrol money to the out of town bands.

So now I only have one more gig before the end of the year, then one in January. So now most of the bands will be writing stuff.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:00 pm 

Done recording some pre-production demos for Illusions Dead. The quality is hardly amazing, but they showcase our songs. I'll put them on the promotional forum when I get to it.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:07 pm 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Poe Ohlin wrote:

Whats your locale?

Xenia Ohio. A boring land where the only extreme metal people listen to is Cannibal Corpse. Everybody else if they listen to metal is the usual Big 4 and metalcore. I don't mind people who like that stuff, as I've never really been an "elitist," but when you want to form a Black Metal band in the vein of the Norwegian and Swedish bands, it would be nice to have a member or two who knows about those bands.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:13 pm 

Poe Ohlin wrote:
TheEvilSocky wrote:
Whats your locale?

Xenia Ohio. A boring land where the only extreme metal people listen to is Cannibal Corpse. Everybody else if they listen to metal is the usual Big 4 and metalcore. I don't mind people who like that stuff, as I've never really been an "elitist," but when you want to form a Black Metal band in the vein of the Norwegian and Swedish bands, it would be nice to have a member or two who knows about those bands.

The world doesn't need more Scandinavian black metal clones. What the world does need is Eaten Back to life CC clones b/c that album is riff-tastic. Mix some black metal in with that and you have something that sounds really awesome.

Poe Ohlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:25 pm 

I can see we're you're coming form. Truth is, I actually have only heard one CC album (Kill), so yeah, not the most knowledgeable in that sound lol. I still keep trying to find members though. As I said, I'm Hell bent on releasing a demo.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:45 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8BmShqGv48

Session #3 and montage #2 of the drum tracking for the new Sorrowseed album, as done by yours truly.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:19 pm 

I just installed some pickups on an Iceman I built, dragonfire screamers. I'm not very happy with them. Maybe I just got bad ones or something, but they're too quiet and don't have much output. That doesn't seem inline with their specs, so maybe there was a short or something, I dunno. Either way, I bought a Super Distortion and I'm going to put that in the bridge position instead. I've always wanted an Iceman. Neat looking guitars.

Also, now that I'm back in the states I went through some of my storage and pulled out my first guitar, a 1984 Ibanez DT-250. That guitar never ceases to amaze me. It's got such a huge, thick, crushing tone, it just blows my mind every time I plug it in to anything and play.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
I just installed some pickups on an Iceman I built, dragonfire screamers. I'm not very happy with them. Maybe I just got bad ones or something, but they're too quiet and don't have much output. That doesn't seem inline with their specs, so maybe there was a short or something, I dunno. Either way, I bought a Super Distortion and I'm going to put that in the bridge position instead. I've always wanted an Iceman. Neat looking guitars.

Also, now that I'm back in the states I went through some of my storage and pulled out my first guitar, a 1984 Ibanez DT-250. That guitar never ceases to amaze me. It's got such a huge, thick, crushing tone, it just blows my mind every time I plug it in to anything and play.

How do those pickups sound when you add a lot of gain, like an HM-2 or something comparable?

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 am 

Singer just sent me a take of him putting vocals to the demo we recorded. I've known this guy for about six years and played with him a lot in that time, but only every now and then actually heard him sing. He is definitely coming along. The highs he wants to focus on need work, but I think he'll get there. His mids/lows are really awesome, and have a pretty unique tone to them.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:02 pm 

Speaking of HM-2, the crappier your guitar is, the better it sounds! I recently started rehearsing with it, but only when I use my backup guitar, which isn't that good (although I put a JBJ mic on it).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:16 pm 

I contest to this as well. When I first started using it I was using a couple of guitars that were cheap and I don't really use for anything else and then i decided to run it through some of my better guitars and it didn't sound as great. so I'm going back to the others instead.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 pm 

Started confirming a UK tour with Atragon, which is pretty cool. Probably going to join the Musician's Union in time for that as well. And also talking about setting up a network/collective sort of thing involving most if not all of the prog/post bands in Scotland, for organising gigs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:08 pm 

heading back home tmwr and starting my vacation of tons of recording.

Got some long waited projects with some friends of mine to start tracking for full lengths and eps...among those projects which are all new..

Scowl- grimey d-beat ridden osdm
Cloud of Flies- crusty blast beat heavy osdm
Whoremonger- d-beat noise grind.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:21 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:

How do those pickups sound when you add a lot of gain, like an HM-2 or something comparable?

I don'y have an amp at the moment; just running everything through my computer. But their overall output was pretty weak and thin, and if I turned the gain up, they squealed and screeched horrible. They sounded more like shitty single coils instead of hot humbuckers, and my wiring job was just fine, so that's why I think I just got a bad set. I haven't wired up the super distortion yet, as all my crap is packed up, but I'll try to get it done within the next few days.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 am 

Finally back from working out of town and shall be home for a vast amount of time.. plus my vacation has now started... technically it was yesterday but whatever. All that matters is it's the vacation of massive recordings!

started pretty lightly today wrote and recorded

6 Kamikaze Pilots songs
1 Corpse Arise
1 54R
1 Vomitwolves

decent enough

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:17 am 

Doing a ton of writing for a bestial black metal demo. I think I'm going to slowly inject other musical influences in the project as it goes. Gonna be low-tuned lo-fi stuff first, with mainly simplistic, Christ-bashing riffs.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 185  Next