Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:32 am 

Wrote and recorded half of a new song. It's pure black metal which is a nice return to more aggressive songwriting. This week I'll probably finish it.

Oh, and SLK drums for, like, half of the entire MA' band entries. He's even in MY band.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:45 pm 

This is a piece of a voiceless song.

http://soundcloud.com/kveldulfr/ak-project-snippet

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:41 pm 

Recorded, mixed, and posted a YouTube video entry for a vocal contest held by Jared Dines. He really does more of a death core style, something I'm not particularly used to, but it was a lot of fun to write and record vocals for someone else's music.

It's especially interesting to see all the different variations of different lyricists, and how they related to your own performance.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:05 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Wrote and recorded half of a new song. It's pure black metal which is a nice return to more aggressive songwriting. This week I'll probably finish it.

Oh, and SLK drums for, like, half of the entire MA' band entries. He's even in MY band.

this is true

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
was able to start up a new project I've been meaning to since I got my 8 string. got a song down and I'm quite pleased. along the lines of Love Sex Machine, Admiral Angry, Black Sheep Wall.
I'm doing it because it's fucking retardedly good fun.

How many fucking bands do you have, dude!??!?!?!

I don't keep count. I just record and release.

CorpseFister wrote:
All of them. He might even be in your band for all you know.

I can't help it. :)

I think I finalized the Yzordderrex release that I recorded back in the fall of last year.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:07 pm 

One more Funeral Age song left to write and then we will finally be able to record our third album. Hopefully it doesn't take 5 months like the one we just finished.... but at least we take our time to make sure the songs are as solid as possible :)

Maybe we'll release a new album this year!! Only been 5 years since our last one.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:48 pm 

There is no way I could spend 5 months on a single song. Maybe I'd go back and revise something little here and there as it was played more but that is about it.

Not meant as a dig at you John, btw, I just gotta finish something in a timely fashion or otherwise it'll end up in the junk pile.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:41 pm 

I'm the same way as Corpsefister. Every band I've been in... maybe take a few weeks I think the most we spent was a month and a week to complete a song. but usually after 2 weeks it's pretty much solid. demoed and then tweaked the following week after. Even in my band that where we would stack like 20 riffs or segments to a song that's less than 3 minutes long.

did another song for the project, I'm kinda meh on it right now after recording it. I'll see if I'll throw it away when I go to do vocals. I think I'll do 2 more and call it an album.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:52 am 

Studio tomorrow for pre-production of the EP. Five tracks, ranging from our newer doomy tracks to our older more speed metal songs. Meeting up with the singer tonight to go over the lyrics one more time before getting into the studio. Should be fun!

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:16 pm 

uploaded and released this for streaming yesterday

https://yzordderrex.bandcamp.com/album/cathedral

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:47 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
There is no way I could spend 5 months on a single song. Maybe I'd go back and revise something little here and there as it was played more but that is about it.

Not meant as a dig at you John, btw, I just gotta finish something in a timely fashion or otherwise it'll end up in the junk pile.

I don't write the songs, I just come up with the drum beats :D :lol:
It's been a weird 5 years (7 years since we recorded...) since our last album. Nothing but member changes, life changes, goal changes, etc etc etc. It's very frustrating when songs keep changing, and I personally lose the feeling and energy for them a lot of times when they take so long to the point where I just slack off on the drum parts and putting any creativity in them until everything is final.

Kinda funny that by the time this gets released/recorded, I will have recorded/released 5 other albums with other bands :D. It'll be worth it!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:36 pm 

well hopefully after that the momentum will pick up again

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:07 am 

Been building up my bass skills for a couple months now, and I've found that I've been writing riffs more on the bass and then picking up a guitar and figuring out harmonies and such. Great songwriting tool, I feel like I've never been more productive. I gotta get down to SLK's neck of the woods soon so we can hash out some more Spawning Vats material.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:59 am 

All the things I'm doing for a debut EP:

Finished the instrument track for a song based off the Lich (I may re-record it)
Writing a song about lycans (Doesn't have a name yet)
Vocals being done on Darkthrone-esque track "The Summoning of Tiamat"
Instrumental ambient track "Lalassu" complete
Composing and writing lyrics for "Ocean"

Tracklist:
1. The Lich
2. Untitled Lycan Song
3. The Summoning of Tiamat
4. Lalassu
5. Ocean
All songs except The Summoning of Tiamat are recorded in B standard

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:14 pm 

hell not just doing some new material, but picking up that beast cab, dragunov

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:18 pm 

Yeah that too! :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:31 pm 

Speaking of which it's been taking a good blasting with concert lead and beta lead.

recorded some tracks with the pv band yesterday.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:26 pm 

Well then, I bought a Duncan JB and a 59 for the Schecter. Going to have it set up tomorrow or on sunday, here's to hoping it will sound nice!

Active Blackouts outright suck for the tone I'm trying to get. They're amazing for suffocating death metal tones or modern thrash, and they have surprisingly responsive cleans, but something isn't right if I need to crank the mids in the amp despite using a Tubescreamer at full level and V30 elements - and it still isn't enough.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:41 pm 

somefella wrote:
Dragunov wrote:
Ah I somehow forgot about those! Those might actually work out the best as the guitar is all maple...

A solid body electric guitar made completely of maple? Well not unheard of but I didn't know Gibson made such guitars. Bumblebee pots included? If you are going to get work done on the electronics it might be worthwhile getting those. Instant woman-tone. And yes, the Duncan Antiquity series are fucking beautiful, they easily beat any current Gibson pickups (Burstbuckers, 57s, etc, even custom shop PAF) to my ears.

I missed this post: yep, all maple. The Victory was one of the more unique models released during the Norlin era of Gibson, along with other models like the Sonex and the Corvus (though those were mahogany I believe). No bumblebee pots, those I'll look into as well. But I think you convinced me on the Antiquity pickups!

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:23 pm 

I've been jamming with a bassist since last summer, and fairly recently we found a drummer. That led to us working on some original material instead of just covers, and now we've got a couple of songs. Writing the lyrics for them has been tough, but it's a really good feeling to be playing something written by oneself.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:37 pm 

did 2 more songs to finish out the slow retardo stuff.

suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 am 

Just tracked the bass to two new Batsheva songs this weekend. Need to do two more tracks ... then get to writing some more songs.

Also, aside from Batsheva, I've been doing some distorted, uber-compressed edits of existing music, just for the hell of it. That's turning out to be kind of cool and almost relaxing in a way.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm 

Officially released our first demo: https://gatesofmartyr.bandcamp.com/album/demo-15 which should be available on cassette soon. Would like some feedback on it if someone could do so.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:57 pm 

Just got the final release masters for the new Blacksoul Seraphim​ album in my possession earlier today. After nearly 2 years of work, this goddamn behemoth of a record is finally, finally, FINALLY done.

Now we just gotta release it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:21 pm 

redid some drumtracks after fucking with my computer for about an hour cause it frozen and crashed or something over the weekend.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:58 pm 

Ouch. Did it just give out from use or what?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:05 am 

fuck if I know honestly. it was all fine sat. I came in today. didn't want to reboot. took awhile before I finally got it to and then it finally did properly. all I did was open it up and blow away what little bit of dust there was. Then it restarted it and it finally booted up. And then well that was it... just started working as if nothing happened. didn't even get an error message. it was very odd. at first I thought it was the monitor cause that's how weird it was.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:41 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
fuck if I know honestly. it was all fine sat. I came in today. didn't want to reboot. took awhile before I finally got it to and then it finally did properly. all I did was open it up and blow away what little bit of dust there was. Then it restarted it and it finally booted up. And then well that was it... just started working as if nothing happened. didn't even get an error message. it was very odd. at first I thought it was the monitor cause that's how weird it was.

what OS is it?

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:47 pm 

That sucks, I lost some new idea's and a solo 2 weeks ago because my hard drive crashed and my last backup was a month old. Luckily a part of the new stuff I had on dropbox so I could retrieve it. Bought an SSD now and have my backup drive permanent attached to my macbook with timemachine backup up every hour.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:06 pm 

SLK, you've recorded so much music on that thing, maybe it wanted a lunch break. :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:30 pm 

bluwarguy wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

what OS is it?

windows 7 I believe it is. All I run is Reaper on it. I run a firepod to capture the sound. That's all I do with this computer. it stays at my shed for recording alone. And when I bought this desktop I made sure I had about double the amount needed to run and capture sound.

I didn't lose a single thing, and I back up everything I record now on to a jump drive and bring it to my house to be mixed anyway.

Clogged you are probably right. hahaha.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:00 pm 

bluwarguy wrote:
Officially released our first demo: https://gatesofmartyr.bandcamp.com/album/demo-15 which should be available on cassette soon. Would like some feedback on it if someone could do so.

I came across this in the band queue and here, so I'll be completely honest. The recording is absolutely terrible, the playing is sloppy, and the songwriting is almost nonexistent, like the songs are unfinished. Well, the songs appear to be unfinished, as there's a credit for lyrics on instrumental tracks. You need to work on both writing songs - putting together multiple parts - and recording. I seriously doubt anyone is even going to want a copy of this, not even Depressive Illusions.

Degeneracy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:06 pm 

Just released my full EP today.

https://soundcloud.com/degeneracy/sets/ ... of-corpses

Degeneracy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:09 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Just listened to your work on bandcamp.

\\m//

Sick tunes

Grave of Humanity :np:

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:08 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
bluwarguy wrote:

I came across this in the band queue and here, so I'll be completely honest. The recording is absolutely terrible, the playing is sloppy, and the songwriting is almost nonexistent, like the songs are unfinished. Well, the songs appear to be unfinished, as there's a credit for lyrics on instrumental tracks. You need to work on both writing songs - putting together multiple parts - and recording. I seriously doubt anyone is even going to want a copy of this, not even Depressive Illusions.

Oh man the Slayer cover destroyed my ears and not in a good way at all. Don't take this the wrong way dude but Zodi is right; you aren't ready to be recording and releasing yet, not by a long shot.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:09 am 

somefella wrote:
Oh man the Slayer cover destroyed my ears and not in a good way at all. Don't take this the wrong way dude but Zodi is right; you aren't ready to be recording and releasing yet, not by a long shot.

I'll be honest we really had no clue what we were doing. I've been doing more research into recording/mastering/mixing and it's way better than what I've been doing before. I appreciate the feedback from both of you, thank you.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:42 pm 

Just finished a deal about a 95 Ibanez RG550. I wanted another guitar with 24 frets and floating trem for a while now and it seems you can't get better instruments for the prices where these go for. Only thing is I hope the stock pickups are a bit suitable for death metal. I use SD Blackouts in my Mayones and found a comparison vid on youtube that sounds promising. But that may just be because of the amp settings. We'll see. If they aren't very good I'll put blackouts in them as well.

Edit: The blackouts in the video were Mick Thompson sigs. So there goes the comparison haha. I have regular blackouts.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:25 pm 

Degeneracy wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Just listened to your work on bandcamp.

\\m//

Sick tunes

Grave of Humanity :np:

thank you, I appreciate that!

recorded a drum track and 7 vocal tracks.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 am 

Jasper92 wrote:
Just finished a deal about a 95 Ibanez RG550. I wanted another guitar with 24 frets and floating trem for a while now and it seems you can't get better instruments for the prices where these go for. Only thing is I hope the stock pickups are a bit suitable for death metal. I use SD Blackouts in my Mayones and found a comparison vid on youtube that sounds promising. But that may just be because of the amp settings. We'll see. If they aren't very good I'll put blackouts in them as well.

Edit: The blackouts in the video were Mick Thompson sigs. So there goes the comparison haha. I have regular blackouts.

Be they INF or Dimarzio/Ibz or V7/V8 pickups, they will most likely suck. Especially if your death metal is of the high-gain downtuned variety, say goodbye to clarity. The annoying thing about Ibanez is that even the higher end models have stupid pickup options.

I like the Mick Thompson Blackouts more than the regular Blackouts, tighter bass and more aggressive high end. But the voicing is nearly identical. Basically it's just a better version :P

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:31 am 

Its the v7v8 combo. I don't think I want more aggressive highs and tighter bass. I like how the pickups 'breath' now. I can get a really nice old school sound out of my rectifier on vintage mode. Btw, i actually have a thompson bridge blackout in thr neck position (got it secondhand) and that sounds quite good. Dont know how the original neck pickup sounds but I like that its not too muddy right now. I find most neck pickups way too muddy.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:07 pm 

From my experience - the way it was in my Ibanez RG - the V8 bridge is a fairly hot pickup with a shrill high end and very little low-end punch. It plays very nicely with a British-voiced amp and an overdrive pedal for modern rock, but it has a certain annoying characteristic tone that comes out with more preamp gain. It's a bit honky, and it's muddy despite not having much bass response, and its top-end seems somehow disconnected.

Apparently, the V8 and V7 are also slightly smaller than a standard humbucker/trembucker. Installing aftermarket pickups in one of those guitars might end up being slightly more troublesome than normally, as you may have to cut further into the cavity to make space for a real pickup.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164 ... 185  Next