Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:00 am 

http://hpgd.comoj.com/indexmain.html

Well this label contacted us but haven't replied their email. Anyone know anyone who's dealt with them before? Paul Speckmann seems to like em :P Any info's much appreciated.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:22 am 

Never heard of the label.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:52 pm 

they seem legit, but what the fuck do I know xD

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:43 pm 

I just came up with some ideas that sound exactly like a Manilla Road epic like Dreams of Eschaton or Art of War. It's like an amalgamation of Manilla Road songs.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:07 pm 

somefella wrote:
http://hpgd.comoj.com/indexmain.html

Well this label contacted us but haven't replied their email. Anyone know anyone who's dealt with them before? Paul Speckmann seems to like em :P Any info's much appreciated.

He's on the up and up. He hit up my band to help us release a split a few months back and has been communicative and pretty cool through the whole process. There's a few other bands in my area who've worked with him as well and all had positive experiences. He also works for Relapse (or another bigger label in the North East, can't remember) so he's pretty connected it seems like

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:47 am 

Mike, his name was? He's been rather prompt in replying emails and seems to know what he's doing throughout the whole process. Given the band's financial situation(can barely afford cigarettes) I'd say any help at all is welcome indeed :P

AHighlandMusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:40 am 

I play keyboard and I'm working on a solo metal album project. I only have one song finished so far, which I will be submitting to the Metallum Compilcious.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:40 pm 

somefella wrote:
Mike, his name was? He's been rather prompt in replying emails and seems to know what he's doing throughout the whole process. Given the band's financial situation(can barely afford cigarettes) I'd say any help at all is welcome indeed :P

He should take care of you, hope it all works out for you guys!

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:39 am 

Hitting the studio in a week. Recording a 6 song demo, then off to bigger shows. Unfortuantely, my bassist got plastered on everclear and quit, so we're still searching. My manager's sister might be filling in for us until we find a permanent replacement. She's been playing bass for like two months, and I've never seen anyone pick up an instrument so fast. she's already learned the bass solo from Maxwell Murder (first month she played) and it's perfect. If things go well, we might just keep her around.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:36 am 

I finally have a decent arrangement put together for the first song contribution to my new band.

I used Reaper + EZDrummer to put it together. I'm happy with the results, but it took a little longer than I hoped. Much of that was the learning curve.

I wasn't ready for the fact that I needed to totally "program" the drums. In my previous life, I was able to essentially "play" the drum machine, and then use quantiziation to fix the mistakes. With this setup, I needed to program the whole thing.

Anyway, it was a different experience, but I think I am past the learning curve. Hopefully new songs won't need as much time to complete. I'm happy with the results, and I think the rest of the band is, as well.

Pretty excited. Our goal for Mortal Mess is to play a few low-key live shows in the Summer of 2013. We have 5 songs ready, and 2 more being worked out. I'm very excited about our progress. We have 2 solid riff writers in the band, with 2 completely different styles. And a good percussionist. Still looking for a solid bass player.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:26 am 

Fucking YES.

Went to my singer's teacher's recording room (not big enough to be a studio, haha) tonight and lay down two live-demos and began working over the top of them. I don't think I played perfect, but then again I could probably be in there tweaking forever. A kink in our step was when the drummer, right before doing his individual parts, tore his finger open. He was not happy, and so we went straight to bass. I can't wait to hear the final project, drummer should be going back in to do his bit this week, and the singer will be doing his, too.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:02 pm 

Well full band practice went to shit rather quickly. Bassist wasn't going to show due to car troubles, but one of the guitarists didn't bother showing up telling no one, that shit is unacceptable. it doesn't take but 5 secs to send a text saying you aren't coming. Esp if you know ahead time you ain't coming. Could've saved us all burnt up time and gas cause we really couldn't jam much since we are still in process of finalizing one song and writing new material so it's not like we can just run through a set

And seeing about how sorry things are with the grindcore challenge I did manage to prior to practice put together 4 traditional grind songs basically to demonstrate what grind is. I'll do another one tmwr and mix all that shit this week and maybe do another 10 with it and release it.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
one of the guitarists didn't bother showing up telling no one, that shit is unacceptable.

Yeah, that is really lame. If you can't make it let people know, don't just not turn up. I've had that happen to me with music related stuff, but luckily only when it has involved one other guy at my house, and the result was I just ended up waiting around all day for him. Sucked, but not as bad as letting down a whole band who are driving to the rehearsal space.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:35 pm 

Recorded the instruments for three of the five grind songs I'm doing for the challenge. Might not be pure grind, but fuck it, they're noisy, fast/short as shit, and angry as hell. Just got to get two more down, then write/record some romantic lyrics. Got the week off, so hopefully I'll get it done.

Last night I played a gig with Atragon. We were playing with Black Magician, who are one of the best doom bands in the world. Holy shit was that a good gig. Stupid amounts of amplification.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:39 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
one of the guitarists didn't bother showing up telling no one, that shit is unacceptable.

Yeah, that is really lame. If you can't make it let people know, don't just not turn up. I've had that happen to me with music related stuff, but luckily only when it has involved one other guy at my house, and the result was I just ended up waiting around all day for him. Sucked, but not as bad as letting down a whole band who are driving to the rehearsal space.

It's always the fucking guitar players...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:41 am 

he said he didn't get my text about which day we were practicing and claimed he was sleeping up till noon cause that's when we decided to leave. whateves.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:50 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
he said he didn't get my text about which day we were practicing

And didn't bother calling back to ask, either. Doesn't sound very highly motivated.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:00 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
he said he didn't get my text about which day we were practicing and claimed he was sleeping up till noon cause that's when we decided to leave. whateves.

We had a guitar player disappear for 3 months, and then after we had replaced him...have him show up on my doorstep "ready to practice", once.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:28 pm 

Fucking lol that's retarded as fuck. I'm basically giving him another shot. I usually give one shot for you to fuck up like this, it happens again then you go to the door. I used to not even give one to let slide, but he pleded his case and said from now on if he hadn't heard anything by thursday he would call up me directly to make sure. So hopefully it'll all work out.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:19 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

We had a guitar player disappear for 3 months, and then after we had replaced him...have him show up on my doorstep "ready to practice", once.

hhehehe...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:11 am 

We actually played in another band with him some years later, and he tried to pull a similar stunt and is now all butthurt that we gave him a cold shoulder. Hahahaha.

HackTheRipper666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:32 pm 

I'm 16, and I'm currently working on my black metal project. I've been working on writing riffs and tabbing them with my acoustic guitar, and i'm also building a library of drum tracks. I'm just waiting until I FINALLY have enough cash to get a guitar.
However, I have one question. WHERE THE FUCK SHOULD I RECORD?. I live with relatively smothering parents, and ungodly shrieking from the basement would give them an aneurism. So, any suggestions? Thanks

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:44 pm 

HackTheRipper666 wrote:
I'm 16, and I'm currently working on my black metal project. I've been working on writing riffs and tabbing them with my acoustic guitar, and i'm also building a library of drum tracks. I'm just waiting until I FINALLY have enough cash to get a guitar.
However, I have one question. WHERE THE FUCK SHOULD I RECORD?. I live with relatively smothering parents, and ungodly shrieking from the basement would give them an aneurism. So, any suggestions? Thanks

Haha, I know that feeling. Can you record when they aren't around? If you are using a laptop, I'd recommend trying to take it to your mum or dad's car, sit in the car with earphones/headphones and windows wound up and record in there. Naturally, this isn't gonna be great quality, but better than what most 16 year olds are doing!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 pm 

Find an old tape recorder, you should be able to find a portable one for under $10 at a thrift store if you look enough. Record everything but the vocals, put the music on an iPod. Find somewhere isolated - a forest, a single-occupancy public restroom, or whatever. Bring a microphone that can run off that tape recorder, record on that, transfer it to your computer, and sync up the tracks.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:03 am 

well didn't plan to do much today but ended up going to the shed, started tracking vocals for the next Kamikaze Pilots full length. also did vocals to one track that's for that challenge this month.

also recorded a new uzumaki tune.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:34 am 

Got another demo song finished, it's the first song we ever wrote. There was no bassline for it so I wrote it last night and we did vocals today. Again there's no guitar, just electric violin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgW6GEhC ... e=youtu.be

Thrashelot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm 

I recorded some semi-improvised drum tracks for a hardcore punk / grindcore / speed metal / noisy mixture EP. I'm now writing and recording guitars. I've been working on some more "serious" stuff so this is a pleasant breakaway and I don't have to be stressed about it too much.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:44 pm 

nice,

meet with the guy who didn't show up last sunday. discussed shit and well it's basically one mo shot and that's it. also brought up some other material he had laying about that doesn't fit for what we are doing in that band so I told him to record some demos after he showed me and I'll help arrange and write some and we can record it at a later date. one selection of stuff kinda sounds like Torche's thunder pop type stuff from their first album. the other stuff is thrashy osdm. so you know I'm all about that.

also while this went about I recorded vocals to 2 more kamikaze pilots songs.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 am 

Put out a stupid grind EP for Valentine's Day. http://necroticgoatslaughter.bandcamp.c ... ft-for-you

Also booking more gigs. Got an absolute shitload lined up with Atragon right now. Playing with Grand Magus next week, then tour in March, including one gig that's the biggest gig of our careers so far. Going to be sweet.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm 

I've written 21 songs so far for the grindcore challenge, and I'm hoping I can eek that up to 25 before it's done. Either way, two of the songs on there are going to be turned into full length songs, as I just love the riffs in them. My primary flying v needs to be refretted, but I'm being lazy and putting it off. It needs it though. I think I might go with stainless steel frets, and give those a try. If nothing else, they'll last longer.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 pm 

Wrote a doompop song for Atragon. That's probably going to be a single. We are the second biggest sellouts in True Doom.

And started writing bits of a song for a NWOBHM band that I've found myself in.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:08 pm 

Got an influx of new rough mixes for the new Sorrowseed album in the few weeks. I'm really liking how this record is turning out.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:20 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
Got another demo song finished, it's the first song we ever wrote. There was no bassline for it so I wrote it last night and we did vocals today. Again there's no guitar, just electric violin.

Shit man, I'd seen a video you'd put up before but it's hard to imagine that is a violin. Did you have to do much post production on it, or is that fairly close to how to came out of the amp? Either way, it's pretty damn cool. You should get someone on an upright bass or a cello to fill out the band.

A note on the mixing- vocals are definitely too loud. Turn them down and turn your violin up!

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 am 

I've recently taken up the ukulele. I am in love. Writing some solid folk-punk shit.

Outside of that I've started writing some powerviolence/hardcore punk.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 am 

I'll be interested in hearing the pv/hc.

the folk punk... always hated the style. played with too many bands that did that shit and not one was interesting to me.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 am 

Had to start all over again with the demo recording. Had a listen to what we had done, and it just wasn't tight enough. Then the drummer had some problems playing to our "studio-live" guide track, so I suggested just doing all the rhythm stuff together and the mix just won't have as much freedom, but that's okay because at least we will get it done. Eventually we ended up doing the rhythm guitar and drums together, then I lay down my bass and we then did leads and vocals. Waiting on the mix down now.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
SweetSilence wrote:

Shit man, I'd seen a video you'd put up before but it's hard to imagine that is a violin. Did you have to do much post production on it, or is that fairly close to how to came out of the amp? Either way, it's pretty damn cool. You should get someone on an upright bass or a cello to fill out the band.

A note on the mixing- vocals are definitely too loud. Turn them down and turn your violin up!

Well that's just a track for our vocalist to listen to. He's kind of been busy with other shit in his life and hasn't had the chance to do anything with us in awhile. We recorded the violin and drums in one track and dubbed bass and vocals over it. It could certainly use some tweaking. I'm working on writing basslines for everything and in the meantime we'll be dubbing more vocals so he can play shows with us, we played once without him with me doing drums and vocals and we have another show that we're doing like that soon, hopefully we can videotape this one because we turn our whole set into one continuous piece of music. As for the tone, that recording does nothing to justify how badass it sounds. He uses a Metal-Zone pedal and a few random effects and hooks into a B52 head and Sunn cabs. I hope to get all of this demo nonsense done before the show next month so we can begin recording for the EP that will consist of our music so far. We've been putting this stuff off for like a year and a half now but I'm kind of glad it happened like that because we've gotten exponentially smoother in our playing. I have a friend that is learning bass and he hopes to play for us (basically sold his soul to the band lol) and he is some kind of sax prodigy so that'd be cool in death metal, and we're trying to get a synth and I found an old recorder (wind instrument) that I'm gonna mess around with.

Ahhh I love getting feedback.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:32 am 

Wrote a song tonight for my blackthrash band that ended up sounding like a cross between the Misfits, Iron Maiden, and later Darkthrone.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:33 am 

My other guitarist and I have finished all the rhythm tracks for 5 of the 9 songs on the album. Going to record more today, probably will be done within the month. Minus solos of course. Very stoked to get this released.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I just came up with some ideas that sound exactly like a Manilla Road epic like Dreams of Eschaton or Art of War. It's like an amalgamation of Manilla Road songs.

I'm super interested in hearing that if it ever comes into fruition.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 185  Next