Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:35 am 

Yea do that up proper! I love some Manilla Road.

TheUglySoldier, that shit always sucks when you have to start over, but I know it happened so often with my old death metal band back before I really knew how to mix and before I had really the good equipment I have now to record. I have some of the old stuff we recorded that was on separate tracks. i might pull it out for fun and do a mix ... see how shitty it is over all. lol. I remember some of what we had we cut from the set cause it wasn't nearly up to par as newer stuff. shame that band couldn't stay together some really good shit was coming out towards the end. as in from 2nd rate Vehemence, Shadows Fall death-thrash to shit like later Cattle Decapitation and Necrophagist. Oh well.

Jammed with the full band yesterday went pretty well mainly spent getting the first down pat and cut off the end of the song to make it stronger. It's just a lot with working on who's cutting in and out and shit. maybe next week we can finally do a demo of at least that one. we also have a few parts for a 2nd song inplace and another floating riff that we haven't worked much with as of yet.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:40 pm 

Just got done recording 2 more songs including the Vomitory cover, The Voyage. Fuck that song, the tremolo melody at the last bit is so simple but soooooo physically exhausting, especially when you're doing 400 takes because the song is in standard and playing it in drop tuning requires some dexterity. I never want to hear that song again :@

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:41 pm 

It can never be as good, of course. If I can get my bandmates interested in it, we might work it into a song.

Today I got some ideas for a song that would sound like a death-thrashed Up From The Crypt or Whitechapel, but I realised I can't thrash fast enough to make it sound good. :(

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:25 pm 

a thrashed up version of whitechapel? as in the shitty deathcore band? never heard of up from the crypt.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:43 pm 

I assume he meant the Manilla Road songs. I've been trying to write stuff in that vein but it all ends up weak and unimaginative.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:09 pm 

I wasn't sure if he was still on the same subject or not since it was presented as a separate thought. As well it's not like it's the only thing he does. so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was something else entirely

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:22 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I wasn't sure if he was still on the same subject or not since it was presented as a separate thought. As well it's not like it's the only thing he does. so I wouldn't have been surprised if it was something else entirely

I thought it was quite obvious, seeing that those are some iconic Manilla Road track titles. :scratch:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:28 pm 

I don't remember any of their song titles. I mainly listen to Crystal Logic and The Deluge. And those songs aren't on either, this is what I have:

Manilla Road- Crystal Logic
Manilla Road- The Deluge
Manilla Road: The Courts of Chaos
Manilla Road: Open the Gates
Manilla Road: Mystification
Manilla Road: Spiral Castle
Manilla Road: Playground of the Damned

You see kid, I don't download music so I won't be familiar with every song they ever wrote... esp if I've never seen them live nor have the album.

Also I don't like Mystification all that much. I do see one song on there.

Last edited by ShaolinLambKiller on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:31 pm 

You should, especially Mystification (which has Up From the Crypt as opener). Brilliant power/thrash. Much riffy, catchy as well as atmospheric stuff just like The Deluge, but with the aggression cranked up by three notches, and in the case of Mystification, with such brilliant atmospheric pieces that few can compare.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:27 pm 

Listening to Fatal Portrait. Outfitting a closet to record in. :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:19 am 

Slk, I'm fine with you being unfamiliar with parts of their discography, relatively well known parts even. I'd just like to point out, while not accusing you of bullshitting by any means, that not knowing songtitles is commonly a downloader trademark, and that not knowing those two, or even any of the ones on albums you own , isn't really equivalent to not knowing every song title.

Another thing is that you're coming off as incredibly arrogant with your "you see kid" and all. Try not being so high and mighty? Your post was fine originally, but after your edits my response hardly looks befitting of your attitude.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 am 

I'm going to take two of my grindcore songs and try to turn them into full-lengths, or if nothing else, just make them longer. I think the riffs are good enough to justify that. Also going to remaster my grindcore stuff and release it as a free EP, just gotta do that and get some cover art and think of a cool album name. I also need to spend some time getting down my mic position in my isolation box. I'm running an Engl through it and it's got that Engl sound but no "meat" to it, no low end. So it's an annoying process of moving the mic a half inch at a time, seeing how it sounds, and repeating. That's why I like VSTs, they sound pretty good right out of the box. (so to speak)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:58 pm 

No it's an trademark of that while I enjoy Manilla Road, I listen to death metal and grind far more than I do this style they play.

And if you don't like my arrogance, don't read my posts. it's that simple. You are beneath me and I can't help but feel that way. My attitude is the same as it always has been, it's not my probelm if you are rubbed the wrong way about it.

started writing for the filtheater full length.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
And if you don't like my arrogance, don't read my posts. it's that simple. You are beneath me and I can't help but feel that way. My attitude is the same as it always has been, it's not my probelm if you are rubbed the wrong way about it.

Or you know, don't be an asshole and people won't complain?

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:48 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Ah! I always imagined you to be merely hamfisted in your articulation and dimwitted in your thoughts, but you are simply an idiot. I'll take your advice immediately, the foe system really is convenient.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:02 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Listening to Fatal Portrait. Outfitting a closet to record in. :)

The ole closet jam sesh eh? You play in a band Grave?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:14 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Or you know, don't be an asshole and people won't complain?

:roll: haha possibly but I honestly think people just need to develop thicker skin. [edit] Especially if the first thing the do is run and report something when they are upset someone was a jerk or asshole. I can't help to think how I think and share is as I feel, but really let's get back on track on what this thread is about.

Kinda have a rough skeleton of the first song that will into the album. Didn't record it today, just sorta messed with it and decided I'll take it home and flesh it out a tad more.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:07 am 

Took one of my grind songs and lengthened it to 3 minutes and pretty happy with the results. Also rerecorded the vocals and did a better job. I've been messing around with ambient type music lately, and wrote a few songs, kinda my interpretation of ambient. It's fun. Now I just need to go back and finish up some of my black metal stuff so I can release a split with a buddy of mine

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:48 pm 

ewww hate ambient.

fleshed out that song a tad more... well basically got a bunch of riffs and now I'm sorta arranging it. I'm basically taking a tad more time on it and composing it at home. Lately I haven't felt like going to my shed to hash out these songs cause I have to go after I go to the gym and I've found if I'm going on to write longer material I tend to come up devoid of ideas. it works better if I'm doing faster stuff like grind, or more brutal death style. but not for what I'm going for in FE. which i guess you say is a tad more atmospheric.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:16 am 

Tonight I'm opening for Grand Magus with Atragon. Should be a couple of hundred people there.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:06 pm 

I'm doing one more show with Sorrowseed on March 9th at Championship Bar in Trenton, NJ opening for Sister Sin.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:34 pm 

Finally, wrote everything out, completed writing and then recorded it. I'm pleased enough. It's a good mid-tier to the album. basically solid but not extra special. recorded it all sans vocals.

also did vocals for 6 KP tracks. I think another 20 and that full length can be wrapped up.

also put this up to be listened to yesterday:

http://yzordderrex.bandcamp.com/album/martyrs

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:31 am 

Opened for Grand Magus last night, which was awesome. Sold a lot of CDs as well.

And now we've been announced to open for Saint Vitus next month. Which is nice.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:20 pm 

Just finished laying down all rhythm tracks. 4 layers sounding massive as fuck, can't wait to share it with everyone :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:34 pm 

well hurry up with it!

yesterday my old friend I used to do a sludge band with came over from Florida and we recorded some material he's putting together. It's crusty blast happy osdm. it took roughly 4 hours to get the song down. I might re-record my drums I'm not the happiest with how it's layed with the rolls but that's usually how I feel once I'm done recording for certain things and it turns out sounding much better than I thought with everything laid down. this and the rest of the material he showed me before we split kinda reminded me of wrathprayer to a degree. Not directly but some of his riffing style did. Looking forward to getting more of this down whenever he can come over. he already has a vocalist lined up that's in fl as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:48 am 

Today didn't really mean to go to the shed but I ended up there and recorded vocal tracks to like 5 KP songs. And then I wrote and recorded a 54R song for an upcoming split.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:25 am 

Still working out the kinks in the guitar position for my band. Always some growing pains/annoying dealing with peoples' schedules. I work a lot of nights, which I am sure is obnoxious for a lot of people...but I have a lot of free time outside of being a full-time bartender/short order cook...and am pretty flexible with the boss. Hoping things take a turn for the better before I leave for a month.

Joined a local doom band yet to make an appearance around...but featuring dudes with a lot of experience from around here, from surf rock bands to Celtic Frost tribute bands that have been around forever. Always excited to play with geezers.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Always some growing pains/annoying dealing with peoples' schedules. I work a lot of nights, which I am sure is obnoxious for a lot of people...

I'd say it's much preferable to working weekly rotating shifts, at least. I actually find night to be the best time to work, just that finding the right time for sleeping can be troublesome.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 am 

I mean that it is obnoxious for band mates, because most people work during the days/afternoons. The earliest I usually get off is 11 PM, and the latest can be closer to 4 or 5 AM.

Most of the guys around here want to have practice between 7 PM and 9 PM.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
I mean that it is obnoxious for band mates, because most people work during the days/afternoons. The earliest I usually get off is 11 PM, and the latest can be closer to 4 or 5 AM.

Most of the guys around here want to have practice between 7 PM and 9 PM.

Just ran into this myself. The other 3 band members work evenings/3rd shift, which was fine because when we started my first job had flexible hours and second was also evenings. We usually practiced around 3. But I just started a full time job 9-5 Sunday through Thursday, which only leaves Fridays and Saturdays for practice.

I told them I understand completely if they wanted to find a vocalist with a schedule more compatible to theirs, but they said we'll stay as is for now and see how things go.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:41 pm 

Our vocalist only comes to practice when he feels like it, so we're probably booting him.

Wish we had someone who was dedicated.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm 

Scheduling problems certainly can be a real kick in the teeth sometimes. My last band only rehearsed nights because of it, which was fine, but I had a long trip home on the train afterwards with my bass, which wasn't always the best feeling, haha.

When I worked nights, rehearsing on the weekend was fine as we normally started around 12, but I would have to leave early due to the distance. It would have sucked if we'd actually played gigs, haha - I worked in a job where getting time off was essentially impossible. Now that we are moving towards doing more with the band, we are also all out of Uni - our drummer currently works full-time through the week, and our singer works rotating weekends as part of his job, which basically means fortnightly full-band rehearsals. During the week, however, we can meet up in bits to run through stuff, so that is good.

I can forsee things getting easier once we are all working in fairly comfortable jobs and driving, as we'll just start doing night-time rehearsals at whatever studio we can.

In related news, auditioning a guitarist this weekend - she's recorded some really cool stuff, so I'm pretty excited. We still have another one or two guys to try out, though. She works Saturday nights, although it is at a metal club, so I think that will perhaps work in our favour more than against.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 am 

recorded 6 more vocal tracks for Kp wrote and recorded another 54R song.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:24 am 

Had rehearsal tonight. We're opening for Trust in a few days, which probably not a ton of people here are into but they are a bit of a deal in the synthpop world. We sounded great tonight too, it's always really satisfying to have a super tight jam.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm 

The other day I went into my local gas station and saw this guy I've known since seventh grade. We were never really friends but we've had tons of mutual friends over the years and he asked me if I knew of any other drummers than myself since his band is looking for one. I told them if I couldn't find one I'd help them out so I'm about to pack my set up and jam with them. They play some deathcore-y stuff which isn't really my favorite but I mean it's fun to change things up some. Can't wait to show them that I can make any deathcore song badass :D

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 pm 

Just got another session gig booked for the summer. I'll be drumming on the new Burger King Diamond album. It's Clay Neely from Black Pyramid and Chris Bartlett formerly of All That Remains doing parody traditional metal about fast food.

https://soundcloud.com/clay-neely/sets/ ... g-diamond/

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:14 pm 

With it being a slow time of year work-wise, I've been curbing the boredom by (seriously this time!) renewing my interests in an ambient/drone project. I've had a concept bouncing around for a while now involving those creepy Cold War-era numbers stations, which I am finally going to put to good use! So far I'm about halfway through one song, which I'm going to rearrange as I'm not as satisfied with it today as I was at 2 am yesterday :-P . I'm pretty excited though, once I have a bit more cash I'm going to look into purchasing some better audio equipment and possibly a synthesizer.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm 

still no drummer... and still unemployed. :/

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 pm 

Subrick, that just sounds horrible. But I guess as long as you are happy with it. I hope Blasphegram comes out sooner than that. That would be the only thing that I possibly would like that you did. And I think you are a good drummer, just pick not great projects.

that sucks MalignantTyrant.

didn't do anything today. just worked out and came out and painted.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:10 pm 

What I'm probably gonna do with Blasphegram is scrap all the lyrics I've written so far as the concept I had really isn't panning out the way I wanted, keep this one song title that I really like, and rewrite all the lyrics with no story.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 185  Next