Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:42 pm 

well stop typing and get back to workon it!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:25 am 

Well the next track is already fairly far along!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:02 pm 

recorded a drum track for a project yest and worked on mixing a Flittering ep

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:18 pm 

Flittering ep is done with the mix, I'll give it a listen in my truck tmwr to check.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:41 am 

I'm thinking the album will have six tracks total, and apart from the one song that's already recorded/on the bandcamp page (which will be re-recorded for the album) I have what will probably be the two longest songs on the album written out and am currently building a song out of the riffs I came up with for a fourth song, so I'll have two more to write after this. Progress, progress!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:33 pm 

Auditioned a drummer yesterday. Had to play this song over and over for him to get the admittedly complicated structure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrknff1QtmM

He's good though, I think we can use him. Good feel, tempo and technique. Miles better than some of the sorry ass excuses for musicians we've tried out before.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:43 pm 

That's awesome to hear!

took a listen to my mix in the truck... wasn't pleased with the guitars where they sat so I turned them up, cleaned up some of the feedback. some basic small things might have it down now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:17 am 

Oh yea also recorded all the vocals for the Eats Aids split and vocals for this 3 song ep I wrote and recorded 2 Yzordderrex songs.

currently mixing a new 54R album

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:40 am 

Ok time to take inventory as I've been working a lot over the weekend for the Gloaming album. I lied before about six tracks - there will be seven but one is an instrumental. All tracks have lyrical ideas but only one has completed lyrics so far. Song numbers don't reflect actual track order, just the order in which I started/named them, haha.

1 - Riffs for this one are written out in full. Needs drum ideas, lead guitar lines and lyrics.
2 - Riffs are all written for this one but I still need to figure out how to string them together, then needs everything else like for track 1.
3 - Same stage of completion as #1.
4 - Completely finished - just needs rerecording (forgot about this one - hence being #4 even though it's a few years old at this point).
5 - Same stage of completion as #2.
6 - Instrumental track. Riffs are written as are some of the lead parts but I might add more, plus drums/bass ideas and maybe some keys? Not sure yet on that.
7 - Haven't started this one yet.

I'm gonna try to flesh out #2 and #5 into the same stage of completion as #1 and #3 before I go to bed tonight, then tomorrow I'll start work on that seventh song. I hope to have the entire thing completely written by a week from now, then I'll get to recording guitar parts in the week after that. At some point I'll have to write lyrics for everything, sooner rather than later I guess. I'm shooting to have everything completely finished by January or so since I want to get to work on some black metal after this.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm 

Started back up on recording. These last three songs are intense! Was working on one for a couple hours, was about to punch in before the hyper blast section and the power went out :lol:

Oh well, I got a good amount done :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 pm 

progress is progress!

I got the first draft of the 54R full length. I'm quite pleased with it... esp since it's actually 2 years old... the vocalist only decided he'll get around to recording vocals for it later this year.

started and got good headway on mixing a Corpse Arise album.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:30 pm 

Began emailing potential labels (not super sure who else to approach besides my old list of usual suspects, been out of touch with this shit for quite some time) and spent a while deciding tracklisting. Got a basic photoshoot done too. Just waiting on this sexy man here for the artwork and deciding on a thank you list. Basically all the little but still important details just before release. Can't wait though, I strongly believe that this new album will crush even the previous one.

On a side note, a plethora of new Marshall stock just arrived at work. I haven't plugged into an old 2203 head for eons, but I told my boss I was gonna 'make sure it's working' before ripping shit up for the next 20 minutes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:00 am 

hahaha very solid. and it's coming my friend it's coming

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:48 am 

Apply lube and jerk harder!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 am 

We finished tracking the Blacksoul Seraphim album yesterday, and on Saturday we finally did real promo photos for it. Those'll be ready hopefully sometime this week, and the album we're trying to get 100% done for Christmas.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:25 am 

Been waiting to announce this for months!!!

My Funeral Doom band, Mesmur, recently signed a deal with the record label Code666 (known for releasing albums by such acts as Negura Bunget, Fen, Void of Silence) and they will be releasing our debut self titled album in Europe next month, and the rest of the World in January. The album is 5 tracks long and clocks in at almost an hour long.

Here is the link to our FB, and also a link to stream the first track from the album! Hope you guys enjoy it :)

https://www.facebook.com/mesmurdoom
https://auralmusic.bandcamp.com/track/deprivation

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:50 am 

Sounds like good news, cheers! Song is solid too.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm 

Thanks mang! Glad you dig the song! Each song on this album really has its own sound, no two songs sound alike, so I cannot wait to get this out on the market! This style of music is soooo far out of my comfort zone, so it was amazing to explore such a different and more reserved style that isn't all blast beats and thrash beats :)

Our guitarist is a HUGE fan of Code666, and the first BM albums he ever got into were released by them, so it is a huge honor for him to be a part of the label that influenced him to play this style of music!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:57 pm 

Yeah that's pretty cool. Wasn't the first Ephel Duath album released on that label?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:45 pm 

And the first Ne Obliviscaris album too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:47 pm 

Almost finished the riff-writing for one last track, then it's off to write some leads and some drum ideas. I've also been working back-and-forth with the guy who's gonna play bass on the album for some ideas as well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 pm 

Congrats! Didn't know much about the label but that doesn't matter much at all.

recorded 3 Yzordderrex songs today

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:02 pm 

Yesterday I recorded 4 Yzordderrex songs which wraps up that album sans vocals

spent the evening mixing Eats Aids drums and now working on the mix of the songs themselves.

will continue to do so today as well.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:42 pm 

Had my first production job last weekend, where I spent a couple days in the studio with Evil Blood (thrash band formed in 1982 in Croatia, who then relocated to Scotland). We got twelve tracks done in total, seven new ones and re-recordings of five old ones. And it all sounded pretty sweet in the tracking stage, so mixing it's going to be great fun!

Opening for Bast tomorrow with the experimental black metal band, that's going to be pretty good. We've been really happy with how we're sounding at practices just now, so hopefully it'll be a good show. Going to start booking some gigs down in England for next year as well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:42 am 

Rehearsed with our new drummer again in between cramming for my college finals. Dude is really good and he's a keeper. As tight and groovy as I'd like him to be already, except maybe some of the high speed blasting isn't perfectly locked in with my tremolo picking but that will come in time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:50 am 

solid! I'm going to celebrate Black Plague Friday and the ren faire and when I return I'll get back to work on that cover art.

also picked up for black friday shopping: Laney AOR Series Pro Tube Lead 100 watt Guitar Amplifier Head

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:55 am 

More penises!

I haven't bought a thing in ages, gear wise. My VOx Metal amplug broke down (it cost $30 and lasted for 2 years, I'm not complaining) so I went and got a Lead one. I wanted the Joe Satch one but it was out of stock so the guy suggested this one to me. It's more than gain-y enough for death metal and the like (if that isn't enough for anyone they need to pick like a man!) but most importantly it has a delay setting to play Skid Row solos with (do not judge me).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:24 am 

weird I've had my Vox metal amplug for 5 years and only cost me 20. its still going strong

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:13 pm 

Perhaps it has to do with me using it extensively outside out home along with tossing it around and not covering the jack etc. In fact now that I mention it, maybe I should just spray some WD-40 on it and see what happens.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:44 pm 

yea it can only fuck it up more.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:10 pm 

Yesterday recorded some drum tracks for stuff and recorded all the vocal tracks for a new Yzordderrex album.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:40 pm 

Got down another track for the next DN album! Only two songs left. THe one I am saving for last is going to be insane :D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:14 pm 

I always hated leaving the toughest for last, I tried to put it more in the middle when I did my work in sessions instead of piecemeal like I do now.

That way I built up confidence with getting some down easily and then nail the tougher one and breeze through the last ones cause I can always go. well hell I knocked out the more difficult one these should be lax.

Frostpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:24 pm 

Since I started getting into funeral doom really much I make that a lot nowadays. But it's rather a faster type like death/doom. My vocals are okay I guess but does anyone have tips to go like very very low, those extremely low exhale growls without sounding forced.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:37 pm 

it's one of things where you kinda have to have the throat for it to begin with.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:53 am 

I normally don't consciously record in order of difficulty. Mostly because I don't care, and also because sometimes it's hard to predict which one is the most difficult anyway. Some songs can be really simple in the rehearsal room and be a bitch to track, for example. And vice versa. For example, this riff could be really easy but because of how much it's based on feel rather than strict metronome timing, it's easy to play the first round but a bitch to layer 3 more tracks on top of it, played exactly like how it was.

Frostpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:00 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
it's one of things where you kinda have to have the throat for it to begin with.

I actually do, I mean the more I practise the deeper I can go and the longer I can do it. I'm pretty sure one day I will succeed but extra tips are always welcome. (Though funeral doom can be like really demonic low). Though the feedback I got is quite positive I'm still not quite sure if I do it completely the right way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:25 pm 

Oh yea that's usually had been the problem with other members in my band not being able to smash out the simiple ones cause they might had practiced the more difficult ones or I guess better to say.. more challenging.

That's more of what I mean instead of difficulty... challenging meaning it might have x amount of parts instead of y. or it's extendingly long with mutiple layers of shit to pay attention to.

Frost... good keep practicing. that's it. can't help you much more than that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:43 pm 

Welp, I finished writing the meat of all of the songs, and soonish will start writing out some lead parts and lyrics, but for now I've been distracted by this review challenge which will probably occupy all of my free time for the rest of the week.

Dimaension_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:29 pm 

Trying to figure out just what the heck to do next. My laptop died, so I just bought a new lenovo All-in-one PC, and have got most of my recording stuff loaded and ready to go. Now I just need some music to record.

Been toying with a few ideas - like completely "de-composing/re-arranging" a classic rock album and turn the music into doom or black metal, or something like that.

I have a few original ideas for some new songs, but just haven't recorded them yet.

Hopefully inspiration will hit soon.

http://dimaensionxblog.blogspot.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 185  Next