Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:57 pm 

Yeah, that's true. My vocalist can still utilize one finger to barely play guitar, and being the main songwriter, he basically just shows me very slowly the notes of the song. I then decide how I want to fret or pick them, etc etc. Naturally, the stuff he writes ends up being less fretboard acrobatics and more groove/atmosphere, right hand based stuff. It's actually a good thing since he is forced to focus on how to make a riff good without relying on technicality, and uses songwriting patterns and things like that to keep things interesting rather than just all out tremolo chugging 200bpm shit. Although right now he did show me a riff he played at like 140bpm and told me to play it at 200 -.-

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:49 pm 

that's because he knows a beast is on drums waiting for it.

Kve. That really would be the most depressing thing for me.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:54 pm 

It is but I just keep going as I can.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:50 pm 

Please do.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 am 

Well, today I'll resume the recordings and already thought about some minor changes on the distorted guitars; not chords but the way they're played. There are a couple of sections that will sound better arpeggiated than just chugged.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:40 am 

Doing some final tweaks to the basic mix of my first new song, then need to stake out a few hours to put some vox on it. Then, it's off to songs 2-4 and do the same before handing it over to SLK to re-do the drums.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:08 pm 

I'm interested how the rest are going come out.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:17 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm interested how the rest are going come out.

As soon as I get some extra scratch, I'm gonna DL another batch of Beta Monkey loops, so I can let the guitar lines dictate the song structure and not the drums. I've never written to drum lines before, so this song is different than what I have going in my head these days.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:08 pm 

Sounds like it'll be very interesting.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:58 pm 

it is. Wish I could just rip it outta my brain and slam it onto the table for ya...

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:44 am 

Okay, I'd fiddled with the mix to the point where I'm needing some feedback. Tell me whatcha think:

https://soundcloud.com/iron1/open-tomb_ ... -5/s-w8jKB

I know the drums at the end need to be attenuated a wee bit...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:33 pm 

The open chords sound a little trebly/unclear for my tastes and there's some high end fizz but it could be what you're going for, and it's nothing major. I think the instrument balance is fine, sounds good overall. Dig the huge palm mutes.

If you mean the song, I think its cool, very Leprosy sounding. There's a bit of repetitive-ness in the riffing but I suppose we'l have to wait til the vocals go in.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 pm 

somefella wrote:
The open chords sound a little trebly/unclear for my tastes and there's some high end fizz but it could be what you're going for, and it's nothing major. I think the instrument balance is fine, sounds good overall. Dig the huge palm mutes.

If you mean the song, I think its cool, very Leprosy sounding. There's a bit of repetitive-ness in the riffing but I suppose we'l have to wait til the vocals go in.

Yeah, I'm definitely not happy with the EQing, particularly the guitar sounds - for some reason they sound solid individually, then when mixed all together a lot of the oomph is getting lost.

Thanks for the feedback.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:28 pm 

Maybe use a higher high pass filter and use less treble and more mids? Cranking the treble sounds great on its own because you get that sharp attack, but a lot of the high end fizz will disturb the overall mix sometimes, depending on your guitar as well.

This is a good example of your exact situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqjFSMoqUPU

Notice the Crunch Lab sounds much richer and sparkly....except when in a mix. Then the Illuminator kicks all kinds of ass while the former sounds tame.

EDIT: I don't like EQ-ing guitars post-recording though, I usually try predict how it will sound in an overall mix when selecting tones for recording. I don't know what your work process is though, but just thought I'd share it.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:42 am 

Thanks for the feedback. I went back and pulled all the EQing off to start from scratch - I think I got to the point where it was over-EQed and my ears were just burning out on listening to it over and over again.

As for work process, this is my first attempt at doing anything with a DAW so I'm making it up as I go. LOL.

It's uploading to Soundcloud right now, I'll put up a new link as soon as I get a chance.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 pm 

Been trying to get my snares original tone back, but having a bitch of a time doing so!

I own a Mapex Sledgehammer snare. When I bought it it sounded thunderous, but since I changed the head and snare wires its lost a lot of its power. The original head was a stock coated head, nothing special, no "power dot" or anything, so I put on a standard single ply head didn't work. Then I got to thinking, maybe the new snare wires had something to do with it. The orignals were just the standard.... 20?.... but I upgraded to a higher wire count, and since then it just kinda lost a lot of its punch.

Anyone have any ideas or am I just failing at setting everything properly? :lol:

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:51 am 

So Spirit Division had our first show with our new drummer tonight and it went over incredibly well. The turnout was solid for a Tuesday night, the performance was the best we've ever played, and the feedback we got from people who'd seen us before was nothing but positive. I've also been trying to get out of state shows set for this fall so it's definitely a confidence booster to pull something like this off.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:53 pm 

worked on drums for Osheigo

recorded vocals for an angl de la mort track.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:14 pm 

Started work on my next song this morning. Miss the days when I could sit and songwrite for hours and hours...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 pm 

I punched this stupid "test your strength" boxing machine thing really hard about three weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I broke my hand. I probably should've gone to the hospital but I was kinda scared to due to the MERS outbreak that was/is centered in hospitals here. Anyway, this has prevented me from doing anything music-related for a while, but I think it's almost fully healed now and soon enough I'll be able to play again without my right hand hurting like hell.

As soon as that happens, I'm gonna get started writing/recording material for upcoming Gloaming and Coma Void splits.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:06 pm 

Shitty dude. Don't push it, that pain could develop into something worse if it doesn't heal properly! But you probably know that ;)

The singer/lead songwriter in my band broke a few fingers this week when he tried to drunkenly ride a scooter and fell off. Probably won't hinder progress on our new album too much since we've got a bunch of songs me and the guitar player are working out our parts for, but I will still take every opportunity to remind him that he's a dumbass.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:18 pm 

worked on some more drums did another song for the challenge. I'm done with that, just going to do vocals now. so sat will be busy with that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:16 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
Shitty dude. Don't push it, that pain could develop into something worse if it doesn't heal properly! But you probably know that ;)

Yeah, it's mostly better now and doesn't even hurt when you poke that area (it's kind of on the knuckle where my index finger meets my hand, down between that knuckle and the middle finger knuckle) but there's still some pain when I try to make a tight fist. This lessens every day, though, so hopefully soon I'll pick up the guitar again. I've been carefully avoiding any activity that might bother the injury so that it can heal up, and I think trem picking and stuff might have been pretty painful even just a week ago.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:20 pm 

Apparently if you try to add on to a song you have in the works when you're not feeling any inspiration, you create uninspired riffs. #whoknew

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:21 pm 

Looking for a new drummer....

Our drummer quit this week. Wasn't motivated anymore and wanted to sell his drum gear in order to get money for a new study.
Still good friends, but he felt he was holding back the progression of the band because he never practiced and wasn't motivated anymore.
We began to notice the lack of motivation also a bit, and it's frustrating to be in a band with someone who isn't motivated. So I'm glad he's being honest. But it isn't real easy to find a death metal drummer. So the search begins.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:01 pm 

That sucks an ass. Any time you lose key members of a band is shitty.

did all the vocals for my Angl De La Mort album and Subterranean Birthright full lenghts.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:12 pm 

Oshiego might have our first show in years next month, if things go according to plan. In the meantime I need to look for a live bass player again, since I do it myself in studio. Right now I'm speaking with an ex member whom I really liked working with, a 6 string jazz virtuoso. The band's stuff has never been technical but for some reason have always had top-class virtuoso bassists like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhde7C1S8sg

Guitar recording begins proper today. Recording has always been my favourite part of music, from tweaking tones to the actual tracking.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:01 am 

Good deal! I tend to agree, not only because I do it all the time, it's just the most enjoyable to see it all come together as a whole and hearing it without having to play the other instruments in your head.

mixing the tracks for the black metal comp. aka new Subterranean Birthright full lenght.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:21 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
That sucks an ass. Any time you lose key members of a band is shitty.

Yeah, And if it's a bassist or second guitarist, you can still play. But without a drummer you can't rehearse properly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:20 am 

Yea that's the absolute truth.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:29 pm 

Losing a drummer definitely sucks. Hope you find a replacement soon.

2nd song almost done. Finally found some inspiration...

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:32 pm 

Jasper, do you know doktersatan from here? He's a Dutch drummer that was looking for a band a little while ago.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:11 pm 

I finished mixing my bm challenge. giving it a listen all the way through now. going to burn it to cd and test it on the drive to work tmwr as well.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:33 am 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
Jasper, do you know doktersatan from here? He's a Dutch drummer that was looking for a band a little while ago.

Yes, but he lives quite far away from where we are located. But thanks for the tip.

I have found someone who shows interest. I asked around at a friend and after some referrals we came across someone who just wanted to search for a band again. So I hope this works out.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:32 pm 

Good luck!

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:38 pm 

Put a standard Remo Coated Ambassador on my snare and it's right back to how it sounded when I first got it! Great crack, doesn't get lost during blast sections. Yay! Also picked up an Emperor X, haven't tried it much, but I think I'm set with the Ambassador!

Also got Pro Tools working on my new computer finally, so yay.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:21 pm 

could never enjoy pro tools the times I got to actually work with it myself. just meh to me.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:56 pm 

i dont think this deserves its own thread so I'll ask here. I just got a new HM-300 pedal and it was working fine for the first 2 or 3 times I used it. I always made sure to unplug the jacks from it when I was done using it to conserve battery life. Well the past few times Ive turned it on, I dont get any sound from it. I have the smaller cable that goes from my amp to the pedal, and my main cable that goes from the pedal to the guitar. Nothing. Ive tried each pedal on it own as well directly into the amp and they both work fine. This is my first pedal, so does anyone have any idea what i Might be doing wrong with it?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 pm 

maybe some sort of polarity issue going on. I'll look up something, cause I remember reading about someone having a similar set up problems just recently but I'm about to go pass out.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:40 am 

Basics for song #3 are done. Now to re-mix the first one, then write 4 & 5...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 185  Next