Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 am 

You sound like how I was back in 2005 before the storm came and pretty much crumbled them all to dirt.

That's probably why I'm involved with so many online projects and have so many projects. It's like I'm trying to fill that void with more work... just with more sucess and releases.

Mrtvovina
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:47 am 

Hello

I am Bagot guitarist form band Cvinger

We just released EP called Monastery of fallen

you can listen (buy CD or shirt) here:

http://cvinger.bandcamp.com/

Haill metal

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 pm 

Our first live show with a new lineup is confirmed on the 11th next month. Stoked. And a little nervous.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:25 pm 

I'll check out Cvinger when I can get home to a desktop. bandcamp won't play shit for me on the laptop.

Good luck with that show, I hope you poop your pants on stage in the middle of a song.

Happen to go into a pawn shop up here where I'm working. wasn't even my idea.. and I stubble on a krank krankenstein & Ampeg SS140 that was sitting there for around 600. I talked them down to 350. So I think I'm going to knock down some walls with the gear I've gotten and hell I'll need to so I can fit it all in as well.

I might even consider selling the 140 to someone in another grind band I know cause he has been looking to replace his and I could basically get almost what I paid for the 2 together.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:36 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I might even consider selling the 140 to someone in another grind band I know cause he has been looking to replace his and I could basically get almost what I paid for the 2 together.

dibs if he doesn't want it :D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:37 pm 

haha okay. and I know he does cause he's asked me if i'd come off one of the other 2 I had.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm 

I might come off both, I'll consider it. :wink:

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm 

Hahaha nice. One of the guitarists in the band that we played with this past Sunday was playing through an SS140 and a 1960B, shit was LOUD.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:11 pm 

never heard or played throuh a 1960B. But hell Ampeg's have always been my first love which is why I purchased to many of them. Just incase one ever blew up cause I'm nuts like that. But I've recently purchased to much more gear and heads I'm only sorta thinking of coming off the 2 just because that might push me to play around with all my other new gear as well. new (old)

Cause even if I come off both I still have another one, not including the 3 SS150's and VH150 I have as well.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:39 pm 

Gah I want that VH150 if you ever get rid of it, which you probably won't, haha. And the 1960B is just an old straight-front Marshall cab that he swapped the speakers out on.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:01 pm 

aHHHH Okay I was thinking it was some other head I just haven't heard of. and hahah naw I don't think I'll be getting rid of that one, I only picked it up last month. I haven't even been able to really play around on it.

I rarely get rid of gear anymore, basically all my poo gear I traded off to get better shit that I actually liked and wanted. And now I'm almost stockpiling it to a degree. I think it makes my dick bigger to just have it, don't get me wrong I do use it all. so it's not like I have it piled up unused. but some of the stuff I have doubles or triples of... I'm a tad more inclinded to let go. There are a couple of other things that I wouldn't mind getting but I def don't need anytime immediately.

Lord Insanus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:08 pm 

At the moment I'm writing some riffs for an upcoming song with my one man band, Frozen Nostalgia.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:32 pm 

Ordered a 1962 12 inch AlNiCo speaker from eBay to put in my isolation cab. I just don't like the sound of the greenback in there, the midrange is strange. Those old AlNiCo speakers have a nice smooth midrange that's hard to beat. And they're cheap as shit, too - as long as you don't look in the guitar section of eBay, go to the vintage electronics section instead. Same speakers, lower price. The one I just ordered was 15 bucks. I paid about 20 bucks for two (from 1964) and built a nice deep mahogany 2X12 cab a while back, and I love how it sounds. And these older speakers often have a lower sensitivity, which is great for studio usage. Not sure what I'll do with the greenback when I take it out. Probably save it for a project.

I've been working on my mic placement and have gotten some pretty good sounds. My Bugera sounds great, my handmade 2 watt tube amp (firefly, google it) sounds incredible, but my Engl E530 doesn't sound so hot with the celestion greenback. No worries, the vintage speaker should fix that.

Haven't worked too much on my music this week, but this weekend I'm going to try to get some songwriting done on a collab project of mine, then redo a bunch of my old black metal. Oh, and get some adapters so I can use my new interface with my desktop/monitors.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:25 pm 

I want to buy a guitar. An old one, preferably from the 60s. I'm browsing eBay right now and I have my eye on a couple older Gibsons. I just don't want to spend 3 grand on a guitar, so I'm looking for "projects" and whatnot. I found an early 60s SG with a single bridge position humbucker that I like, but it'll probably end up going for 1500. If I don't get an old guitar I may just get an Orange Dark Terror, because I love how that amp sounds. This is why it's dangerous to drink wine and browse eBay.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:22 pm 

The local Guitar Center had a gear trade expo today, so I brought in my Bugera amp, my Engl E530, my orange micro terror and my Gibson melody maker flying v and traded them in. They actually gave me a decent amount of money for the stuff, too. And so I bought an orange dark terror, some strings, a bunch of guitar parts to finish some projects and got $115 back after all was said and done, so that's awesome. Tuesday I'll be able to pick up my main flying V, from getting refretted. Really looking forward to that.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:20 pm 

Good deal there.

just been mixing today. tweaking this Mountain of Beard ep. and totally fresh on this new Kamikaze Pilots ep.

Also there are some fucking asshats at my storage shed that apparently are getting the cops called on them cause they play late at night and they lock the door so the cops can't get in to tell them to shut the fuck up. So they complain to the office that runs it and they posted all these signs yesterday (after I had left of course) that said that if they get one more complaint they are going to issue fines to all the bands in the unit(which they legally can't do) and kick everyone out.
I'll be going up there monday to complain since I've been in there before everyone in that office was working there. I'm not quite ready to build my studio/shed in my backyard otherwise I would've just taken everything out and stored it elsewhere as I built my shed.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:49 pm 

Finally got some bass strings today too. Restrung my cheap old 5 string which actually sounds great and laid down some bass tracks that sound nice. I also ordered a tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece from eBay, once I get those in I'll be able to finish a flying V I put together from mostly Warmoth parts. It's pretty sweet looking, alder body with a bound quilted maple top (stained deep red), single humbucker and volume knob, and the basic rosewood fretboard/maple neck. I guess I'll tune this one to D standard temporarily and use it to try to finish all the black metal I started writing a while back. Then I'll drop it down to C standard and see how it sounds there. Maybe have it as a dedicated left channel guitar and my other V as a dedicated right channel guitar. I'm still really happy with my Dark Terror, I just need to find a way to remove a touch of low end from it. A tubescreamer will work, I just need to get some 9V batteries for mine so it doesn't buzz and hum like it does when I use the A/C adapter.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 pm 

Recorded guitars and bass for two songs for a metalpunk EP. I have another written, and ideas/riffs for another, and I might throw in a cover as well.

Blackthrash band is jamming again after a short hiatus, and we're almost done with the first couple of songs.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:24 am 

Practice tomorrow for Controlled by Fear. Going over new songs, figuring out certain things and all that jazz. Got a show August 2nd, and sometime later in August with Nak'ay. Also praying a band cannot open for a show that someone I know is setting up with what looks to be a really big hardcore/thrash band from Cleveland, OH so we can open. I don't know if it is who I think it is, but if it is and I get to open for them I will be the happiest person ever.

Also any suggestions on going on tour? Trying to set up a little three to four day tour around the east coast. I'm sure some of you can bestow some advice.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:27 am 

-Don't expect to make any money.
-bring enough money to pay for the entire trip.
-don't expect people to feed you.
-don't expect people to supply you with a place to stay for the night, infact ask about this when you are booking the shows. I'm assuming most are DIY venues and what not so the people setting the up will be happy to find someone or let you hold up at their house.
-don't expect anyone to like or watch your band. some places are just like that.
-be sure to keep a decent track of your time while traveling, inface be sure to leave an hour or 2 prior to when you think you should leave, for any just in case moments or getting lost. No one likes it when the touring band is late regardless of your reasoning.
-be appreciative of everything that anyone has helped you out with, hell give some props out on the mic while you play.
-don't act like you are better than any of the bands, even if you are better than them. you are in their hometown and if you act like a twat they can probably get enough friends there to beat your ass (aka like what has happened to that band Ed Gein so often)
-be prepared to get on each other's nerves if you haven't ever spent that much time with your band mates before, it's best to be a pacifist when someone gets on the rag about whatever retarded thing they might be bitching about.
-have fun, remember this is more of an experience than any sort of money making venture. you make money that's great but most of the time that's not going to happen when it's self financed and booked.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 am 

infinitenexus wrote:
The local Guitar Center had a gear trade expo today, so I brought in my Bugera amp, my Engl E530, my orange micro terror and my Gibson melody maker flying v and traded them in. They actually gave me a decent amount of money for the stuff, too. And so I bought an orange dark terror, some strings, a bunch of guitar parts to finish some projects and got $115 back after all was said and done, so that's awesome. Tuesday I'll be able to pick up my main flying V, from getting refretted. Really looking forward to that.

I dunno dude, I wasn't impressed at all at what the Dark Terror could do, regarding extreme metal anyway. Doesn't seem to have much tonal options too. Perhaps a recording of yours will surprise me hahahaha

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:16 am 

It's a one trick pony but it does that trick well. The tonal options are very limited but I like the tone that it puts out, so no problemo. It's only tonal downside is that it can be a tad muddy/bassy, but a tubescreamer fixes that. That being said, a 3 band EQ would make this amp sooooo much better. I'm sure someone will mod this thing one day and add that.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 am 

I'm still on this gear kick after trading a bunch of my stuff in. I want to buy another amp, like a 5150 or something, and an old guitar. We'll see what happens.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:02 pm 

Just bought an old Marshall Lead 12 combo from eBay. I've been wanting one of those for quite some time as a small, low-volume studio jamming amp, as all my other amps are tube and therefore too loud. I might build a new enclosure for it, something slightly larger, closed back and with a vintage alnico 10/12 inch speaker. Or maybe I'll turn it into a head so I can switch speakers around. Or I might build it into a vintage suitcase along with a vintage 8 inch speaker, leaving plenty of room on the inside of the suitcase, so I'll have a nice travel amp (that I can store stuff in). Either way I can't wait for it to get here.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:56 pm 

shit I was working on mixing:

Mountain of Beard
http://youtu.be/Ndqf34gPBRQ

Kamikaze Pilots:
http://youtu.be/rT3DlXohOuE

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:33 am 

Sounding good, although I think you should bring up the volume in the guitar in the second one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:40 am 

thanks for the input, KP just went through what I call it's first final and now is the part where I listen to everything and start tweaking it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:13 pm 

SLK, I really like the guitar riff that starts at 33 seconds in, in the mountain of beard track.

Just bought a gibson les paul studio off eBay this morning. l think les pauls are overpriced, but I still like them and I've wanted one for a while, so I picked this one up. This one is from the early 90s, transparent red over a flamed maple top. Can't wait to get it. Tomorrow I get to pick my custom V up from a guitar store, from getting refretted. I'm really looking forward to that.

Also just got superior drummer, and I'm messing around with it now. Looks like I have a lot to learn, but it should be worth it. EZDrummer sounds nice, but it doesn't seem to punch through a mix enough.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:34 pm 

Going to be drumming for a two-piece pv band. Going to be fast, spastic and a lot of fun. I have never drummed in a band so this will be a blast!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:45 pm 

thanks infinite! I seem to have a knack for some groovy shit when I'm not thinking about it.

working on my KP material. basically bringing the guitars and bass up.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:39 pm 

No problemo

Finished writing music for a collab. Now I need to work on lyrics and decide if I want any guitar solos in there. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

After selling, trading in, and giving away a lot of my guitars, I currently only have one guitar (well, and 2 basses) that is playable. I have two others, but they are in various stages of completion. I feel really limited. I wanted to work on some other music of mine, but it's tuned to D standard and the only guitar I have now is tuned to Bb. Just a slight difference, haha. At least I'll have my V tomorrow after work, so the world will once again be in order. Then I need to finish this second flying V I'm putting together, just waiting on the bridge and tailpiece to get here in the mail and I'll be able to finish it and play it (finally).

Also gonna start checking stores and eBay for lumber, I've got an itch to build another guitar. I want to do another birdseye flying V, my last one was gorgeous. That one was a hybrid, flying V body, telecaster bridge and neck, single coil sized humbucker in the bridge. It was actually a great guitar, I recorded most of my album "Premeditated" with it. I think I want another birdseye pine V, but with a more standard bridge and humbucker and not a fender neck, because I hate fender headstocks. Maybe I'll pick up an inexpensive Ibanez neck to toss on there. We'll have to see.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:41 pm 

Got my old AlNiCo speaker from 1962 in the mail today. Now I just need to get off my lazy ass and install it in my isolation cab and see how it sounds. I know these old ass speakers can't take quite the volume of new ones, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hope I don't blow it with a 15 watt tube amp dimed.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:16 am 

Jammed with the vocalist for the new band. Playing drums is fun and doing vocals while drumming is not as hard as it seems.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:45 am 

yea it's pretty fun to do both while doing both. Only if it's naturally something on drums you can do without thinking. I remember in an old band of mine I was doing music that was very complicated in beats with mulitiple rolls that just crashed into each other, and usually during the most difficult that's when the vocalist/guitarist wanted me to sing cause his part was complicated on guitar as well.

inifinite, you should've done it last night instead of posting on here hahahah!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:45 pm 

Since it's powerviolence I'm probably going to only do vocals during blast beat parts. Seems to work for Crossed Out.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:58 pm 

Yea that's usually the case. hahaha. I usually do it in my onagain offagain sludge band Raum. since we lost our drummer. ever since I've been drumming and doing the vocals since originally I was the bassist and vocalist. I've finally got it down where I can keep the two different rhythms (the drums and my vocals) separate in my head without messing up anything or having any flubs that I know are there but some might not even notice.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:04 pm 

I picked up an old Peavey VTM 60 for cheap after reading that they were basically a JCM800 clone with a bit more gain. Sounds like something I'd like to play with, and it was under 200 bucks so I couldn't go wrong. The enclosure around the amp chassis is shit so I'll probably build a new one out of some pretty wood.

I got my flying V back with nice new frets and I love it. That kid really cleaned up the fretboard, it plays like a new guitar. Unfortunately my nut got loose, so I need to reglue it, and put a small piece of wood on the backside of it to lock it in place against the fretboard.

Finally learning my way around Superior Drummer. I like how everything sounds except the snare. That's going to take some work.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:43 pm 

I'm pretty much done with band stuff for now. All of my projects have blown the fuck up in my face so fuck it, I've thrown in the towel. Maybe some other time I'll revive it, but not likely soon.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:46 pm 

Try harder with better ideas for bands!

not too much i'm doing besides finalizing this KP mix, and reviewing some other old shit I recorded to see what I'll work on mixing next.

this sat I'll be rearranging all my gear.

Hatman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:02 pm 

I've been playing rock covers with some people I know this week.

MorbidBlood wrote:
It's just too brutal for the normal listeners.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 185  Next