Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:07 pm 

Cool deal and I promise if you come visit me I'll keep the rape to a minimum.

LlamaTrainer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25 am 

My buddy bought an electric drum kit today, so I dragged my smaller rig over today and we jammed. Ended up writing a couple of shorter songs and recorded them through an impressive cellphone mic. Here's one! We'll record some proper audio when we have a bit more spare time.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:23 am 

Well here's a quick demo of the HT-Blackfire like I said. Some of the tubey warmness is missing cos I only have this digital practice amp to play it through but it still sounds pretty badass despite the phone camera not doing it much justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6nXZ-fi ... e=youtu.be

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:51 am 

recorded some covers with deathlord, and completed one original song "Autistic Blood" http://youtu.be/_9mcU30KRII

Haemorrhage - I'm a Pathologist cover http://youtu.be/9cb_B8xnaV4
Death- Mutilation cover http://youtu.be/eiLon6IQfN8

hope you like them!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:55 am 

Supported Holocaust last week with the blackthrash band, confirmed a Newcastle gig with the black metal band, opening for A Storm of Light in two weeks with the post-metal band, announced this: https://www.facebook.com/events/1441017112810782 today which I'm putting on and playing with the blackthrash band and the metalpunk band.

Lots of gigs. Fun times.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:32 pm 

somefella wrote:
Well here's a quick demo of the HT-Blackfire like I said. Some of the tubey warmness is missing cos I only have this digital practice amp to play it through but it still sounds pretty badass despite the phone camera not doing it much justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6nXZ-fi ... e=youtu.be

Not bad, but I don't hear that tubey warmness at all. Just sounds like your normal clean distorted clean guitar playing. Basically nothing I'd give a notice to. Good playing though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm 

Also after working on Drag's cab this morning I went and recorded an Uzumaki song and did this sound test with my new cabs and 'new' Sovtek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYocoyXwihY

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:32 pm 

Mixing down the Corpse Arise side of a split with Zombie Raiders.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:14 pm 

I just re-edited and re-posted my cover of Insomnium's "Weighed Down with Sorrow", in light of their new album. I'll just put it here, in case someone wants to critique. I'm a pretty humble guy, so constructive criticism is welcome.

I also have one original in the works. It's practically done except for vocals, which I really hope to get a good delivery on because this is one of those songs that calls for a very large, epic delivery.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:40 am 

Prepping for my first concert with Ditheist - and first time playing live since Plaguewitch split up almost a exactly a year ago - in northern Chicago. Practice went phenomenally last night so I'm pretty excited, and I've got the Behemoth/Inquisition/1349 show tonight to get me in right frame of mind.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:37 pm 

recorded 2 Dragunov songs today.

been mising Mountain of Beard and Yzordderrex albums.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:20 pm 

So I had the basement show last night and it went over a lot better than I thought it would. The turnout wasn't huge but enough to give it a chill atmosphere, the bands were all great and cool with storing equipment, my house's foundation provided some solid soundproofing, and the worst mess that my house got was a whole bunch of beer bottles that I still need to pick up. Definitely setting more of these up in the future.

Other than that, May should be pretty productive for Spirit Division as we're working on new songs, playing a few decent shows, ordering more stickers and shirts, setting up more recording, and having a belly dancer come by sometime soon to work with us. Still figuring things out with Ebonmere since the direction is nowhere near as firm.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:23 pm 

The smaller shows are usually the better ones, because the audience usually connects a lot better to you as a musician.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:42 pm 

Had a practice with the post-metal band today, we wrote a new song that's about nine and a half minutes, which is pretty cool. Should be playing that one on Friday when we open for A Storm of Light.

Been confirming gigs with the blackthrash band as well, we're planning on doing a gig on a Saturday in September (the day after I hand in my dissertation for uni...) with an English band we're mates with and two of my other bands. And then we're off down to England for an all-dayer the next day. Potentially doing a few dates down south in October as well, which could be cool.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:19 pm 

recorded 3 Corpse Arise songs and an Uzumaki song today. my wrist on my left hand is bothering me... well not honestly my wrist my knuckles that kinda steems down into my wrist. I don't know.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:11 am 

Finally got my chunk of Faustian Orbs tapes in from the label in France and the packaging looks really good. I'm pretty impressed with my own artwork/layout skills, haha.

I better get to work on the sophomore!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am 

Looks like the next Oshiego release is shaping up to be at least on par with the previous one (it's a hard one to beat imo). Maybe less brutal/thrashy but still with sick grooves, eastern melodies and catchy riffing. Certainly enjoying rehearsing them now.

Also did a cover of a killer Singaporean black metal band Helvette, links to the band stuff in the video description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM3a6kXeybI

A little unrelated but I also applied for a job at a guitar store, hopefully it means playing time with expensive Gibsons and commissions from making spoilt rich kids waste mom and dad's money hehehe.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:55 pm 

That'd be cool. I sat in a Guitar Center for 2 hours one day just fiddling and diddling with an Ibanez RG-something and the amp's delay settings. (I didn't work there, but some of the guys behind the desk were wondering when I was gonna get tired.) I ended up leaving though, because the people I was with kept pushing Fender Strats and starter guitars on me. I guess they don't realize that there is a difference between a softer, grungier type guitar and the organic heaviness that I was enjoying so much.

But I've always wondered what it would be like to work there. Let us know if you get hired, fella.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:00 pm 

I would assume it's awful. I know I wouldn't enjoy it.

recorded 3 more Corpse Arise songs, worked more on new amp build.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am 

Interesting first concert. We played well; very tight and I gave what I believe was my best vocal performance yet...but only for half a set. The show started at 9:30, but the show before (some kind of goth/alt fashion show...) ran late, bands took way too long to set up and take down, and we didn't get onstage till 2:20 - When the bar was supposed to close at 2. The sound guy talked with the bar owner said he'd keep things open till 2:45 for us, so we were only able to play 4 songs instead of our setlist of 8.

I certainly can't blame him - He was the best sound worker I've ever performed with and seemed genuinely sorry about the whole mess. I think it's more an issue of these events (as it was booked and hosted by a local metal group) being run by people who are well-intentioned but just don't have experience managing events from a logistics/business side of things. I.E., this seems to have been scheduled with the assumption that every band will get set up and taken down as quickly as they are physically capable of, with set lists that never run long.

In the end it was still a good show and given that it was my first ever with the band I figured it wasn't really worth getting irritated over. That said, I do know some people who would have been ready to crack some skulls after such an event, so I think they lucked out that a group as relaxed as us was booked last...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm 

that's horrible when a show goes on that damn long. The longest I'll stay for any band is 1AM and it has to be someone significant. Like Vital Remains, other than that I'm leaving early. I've played maybe twice at that late. never again, it's not worth the time to even set up at that point.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:08 pm 

I've thankfully never had a show I've played on pushed back that long. The longest I've ever been pushed back was 12:30 when we were supposed to go on at 11:30 (thank you and fuck you awful bands before us playing too long), so we had to trim our set by a couple songs and play the final song a good 30 BPM faster than it normally is due to the venue closing at 1:00. Stuff like that is why we're only doing a couple shows this year, and they're shows we booked for ourselves rather than shows we were asked to be on.

--

Nearly done writing and arranging a 10 minute song for my second death metal project. Just have a few more sections to put together.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:09 pm 

My old alternative band was booked for a show 60 miles out from our hometown. We got there, unloaded half of our equipment, and the owner comes up to us and basically says, "Who the fuck are you guys?". At this point, we tried to contact the guy who was supposed to book us for this venue and couldn't get ahold of him. We just about headed home (I was already fuming and ready to leave at this point) when a friend of ours who was also a promoter came in just to watch us play. We told him what was going on, and he talked the manager into letting us play a 30 minute set. It wasn't terrible, but it was pretty fucked up.

Anyway, I'm gonna try to draw myself up a band logo so I can start on the visuals aspects of a demo. Hopefully I can pull something out of my ass, but I may have to have one drawn up for me since I haven't sketched or even touched a pencil in months.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:09 pm 

what are you going for with the artworkwise?

recorded 4 more Corpse Arise songs today. Got a new commission build for a cab so i'll probably start that tmwr or thurs

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:13 am 

10 minute song is done. Scratch track comes out to 9:29. This is gonna be hell to record, but so much fun at the same time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:33 am 

Nice. Always fun playing 10min death metal songs. there's always that air of.. shit don't fuck up so I have to restart looming overhead.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:00 am 

Starting to land on some ideas for my one man project, although really wanna get accustomed with Ableton Live before I lay too much down for consumption. Getting back into the vocal groove is going to be a bitch, haha.

Blacksmith played a great show the other night - our new guitarist brought in a lot of people so that was cool, hopefully we'll have something written with her soon.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm 

Added a little bit to the song, and it's now 9:47. Yay for ridiculously long death metal!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:13 pm 

Just finished up a new release with Treeweaver. It's called Aradia, it has four songs.

Here's the link.
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:39 pm 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Starting to land on some ideas for my one man project, although really wanna get accustomed with Ableton Live before I lay too much down for consumption. Getting back into the vocal groove is going to be a bitch, haha.

Blacksmith played a great show the other night - our new guitarist brought in a lot of people so that was cool, hopefully we'll have something written with her soon.

Let me know how you find live for recording and mixing metal - I use it for my synth/electronic work but it seems pretty heavily geared toward that kind of workflow.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:06 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
what are you going for with the artworkwise?

Fuck, I misread the question....

Something like a landscape painting, maybe with a massive asteroid storm just beginning to enter the layer above the atmosphere (stratosphere?) I can do basic fireballs in photoshop, but I need to figure out how to incorporate actual flame trails behind them among a list of other things.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:31 pm 

just set things on fire and throw them up in the night sky while someone takes pics of it.

recorded 4 more Corpse Arise songs today.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:19 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
TheUglySoldier wrote:

Let me know how you find live for recording and mixing metal - I use it for my synth/electronic work but it seems pretty heavily geared toward that kind of workflow.

Will do!

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:01 pm 

Well I threw this up on youtube a bit ago:

http://youtu.be/CsSQxOUGgt0

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:38 am 

Some bluesy instrumental stuff I was fucking around with last night:
https://soundcloud.com/dystopia4/sharwishe

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:08 pm 

Umm..... Nothing folllows anything. It just sounds like each instrument plays to it's own tempo, and I can't piece anything together to form a legit song. I don't know if this is some form of the blues, but if so, I think I'll just avoid it.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 pm 

Yea that's not blues at all. That's closer to some free jazz or acid jazz cause like Arkhane said... it's everything working totally independent from each other. Works for jazz.. is not blues at all.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:04 pm 

recorded all the vocals left that i needed for the MoB release which was another 6 songs.

recorded 3 Corpse Arise songs. so that full length is just tettering over the halfway point now.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:52 pm 

Bought most of a drum kit. Need a snare and pedals next. After that I aspire to be not only a drum owner, but a drummer!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 pm 

What kit did you get?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 185  Next