Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
unclestewy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:03 pm 

Hello everyone,

I posted in the musicians' forum a couple months back looking for "internet" projects to put vocals on. Had three awesome responses (two of which are being recorded in approx 2 weeks).

Here is the one that has been recorded. Forum member doktersatan from the Netherlands wrote / recorded the guitars / bass / drums, and I wrote the lyrics / did the vocals. Had help from one friend on (mostly) the ultra-low vocals and my brother w/ the lyrics. Recorded our parts last weekend w/ the lovely and talented Mr. Durv Viswanathan in York, PA

This is a rough mix of the first track. We are called "Morbid Footnote", and the EP is a lyrical concept based on Charles II of Spain - "The Ugliest King"

http://soundcloud.com/matthew-yukna/mor ... ote-01-the

In other news, my main band (Asthma Castle) finally has an awesome drummer... but he is now on tour with his main band in Brazil, so we're sitting around with thumbs firmly planted in asses...

Anyway, if anyone would be interested in doing an internet-based project, I will be done w/ my current ones by the end of the month. I'll post more here as it becomes available.

Thanks guys! I love this site and the community here, very inspirational to read about people all over the world worshiping at the altar of the metals.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 pm 

My first show in 5 months is on Friday. It's my first show with Sorrowseed as well. To say I'm nervous but excited is putting it lightly.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:08 pm 

wrote and recorded a couple of Yzordderrex songs

wrote a song for a new project. listened to it... I'm going with a different amp for this out of my collection.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 am 

moving my small studio into a houseboat in Amsterdam, and also trying to promote the new Primal Order tape.. first thing we've done totally analog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9VSNSKEPjk (and now it's ripped from the tape and on youtube.. sweet irony)

I got so incredibly fed up with apple after they advised me to upgrade my logic software (for just 200 euro's your software can work again!)
So I'm mostly doing stuff on an old 8 track cassette tascam now -solid piece of hardware, but obviously limiting in track count- whilst looking into linux and ardour. any users here?

only thing holding me back from trying is the fact that ther are almost no firewire audiointerface drivers for linux. So I'm afraid i'll have to invest in some USB stuff?
Wasnt that supposed to be way worse for audio in comparison with FW in terms of transfer rates or whatever?

oh and I also recorded some grindy/death/black stuff a while back, gave that to a user on this forum (unclestewy is his username) who did lyrics and vocals on it with a friend. They did a really good job! I'll leave it to him when and what sample he wants to throw on here.
But damn I love that the internet collaboration thing has worked out well for once. I sent out so much stuff before and never got replies back. But then again maybe that says more about me as a musician than about the internet metal singers out there :P

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:33 am 

Quality of audio performance really depends on the driver more so than USB 2.0 vs Firewire. My new USB 2.0 audio interface is perfectly fine recording with very low latency, and these guys seem to have made it work OK with Linux.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:06 am 

I have a Lexicon Lambda (USB) and never had any problems with latency or anything similar, and the recording quality is great.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 am 

doktersatan wrote:
moving my small studio into a houseboat in Amsterdam, and also trying to promote the new Primal Order tape..

I can only think of this song whenever someone mentions a houseboat. What if it springs a leak?

unclestewy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 am 

doktersatan wrote:
moving my small studio into a houseboat in Amsterdam, and also trying to promote the new Primal Order tape.. first thing we've done totally analog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9VSNSKEPjk (and now it's ripped from the tape and on youtube.. sweet irony)
oh and I also recorded some grindy/death/black stuff a while back, gave that to a user on this forum (unclestewy is his username) who did lyrics and vocals on it with a friend. They did a really good job! I'll leave it to him when and what sample he wants to throw on here.
But damn I love that the internet collaboration thing has worked out well for once. I sent out so much stuff before and never got replies back. But then again maybe that says more about me as a musician than about the internet metal singers out there :P

Hey dokter! Maybe I can come hang on your houseboat to record the next Morbid Footnote EP! :-). Would be a nice change of scenery from north-east Baltimore County...

Here is the link again for track one off of our project:

http://soundcloud.com/matthew-yukna/mor ... ote-01-the

I will post more after we've finished recording / mixing / etc. About 1.5 weeks until we head back to the studio.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:04 pm 

haha yeah I know that anal cunt song :P dont know what putnam disliked about houseboats though? its absolutely the best way to live here in amsterdam.. no people above or below you. and also really nice because the view from the canals is the best way to see the city.

actually there is a leak right now, but not in the way you probably think.. the boat is just a small 2 room appartment, built on a big steel/concrete box. whats leaking now is the floor in the shower. last owner probably left it running too long whilst away (to prevent the waterpipes from freezing over) so if that would be left unchecked, than yeah the whole "box" below the floor would fill up and the whole think would sink a bit :P But it would not be like the titanic or anything... its not like youre actually sailing in the boat. :P

if that thing starts leaking you can have the boat towed to the docks/repair thing stuff (no idea how you call it in english)

@unclestewy

Ofcourse man! anytime youre in the area you can crash here :) how much would a plane ticket be? would be nice actually, maybe a gig or 2, some recording :P

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:52 am 

Putting a band together at the moment. Had a couple of jams with the singer of my old rock band, and we've been coming up with some pretty cool, sleazy, doomy, power metaly stuff...at the moment he is playing guitar but once we get a full line-up he won't be. Just gotta find the right members now. Got a possible guitarist, but haven't jammed with the two together yet. We will probably be covering some Sabbath, Dio and Priest to get started.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:17 am 

Testing new guitarist. Was impressed with his mentality towards the music and that's half of what I think is important in a band member.
The rest comes naturally after a while, although this kid (21 years old) practices 2 hours daily and takes lessons once a week.

He looks metal as well, not like this douche who wanted to try out:

My Goat, I was in a cold sweat when I saw what I added on Facebook...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:41 am 

Watch the guy you are trying out turns out someone you can't get along with and really doesn't like how any of you play your instruments/writes songs and the guy you are making fun of is actually is a great guitarist and starts his own band that plays the same style that you do, but just better. That'll teach you.

wrote and recorded 2 yzordderrex songs yesterday. one more and I'm going to wrap up this full length that i started working on while I wait to see if anything can be pulled off my hd. I expect no, so the next is to start re-recording everything.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:15 am 

You can't be serious... Are you fucking insane or what? :D

Who would take any real metal band seriously with a guy like that in it? Even if he can shred better than all our collective asses put together?

Yeah, maybe he will start another mallcore band, that will teach us....

triggerhappy
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:35 am 

Working on more tonecluster grind. Have 2 songs down, and a bunch of riffs I still have to fit together.
That's all Crick's iPod accepts. GB = Gargobytes.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:05 am 

I don't judge anyone by what they look like. I honestly don't give a shit. It's all in their ability to play and write music. They can wear a fucking tutu and have a swoop cut with hello kitty tattooed on his face. But if he could play/write/ and wanted to do something like I enjoy then I don't give 2 fucks.

trigger. I'm really interested in hearing that!

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:18 am 

Maybe you don't but the ones who are there to see the band play live do... So yeah, if you don't intend on playing live, but only stay underground just recording stuff, I'd probably do the same thing.

But this guy was a seeker anyway. He pretty much wanted to play anything (going by his ad) just to get into a band and play.

But do believe me when I say that nobody would take a band seriously with a guy that looks like him in it. Unless they'd play skate/pop punk or something.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:38 am 

Even if we play live I don't care. in one of the techy death metal bands I used to play in the fat ass bassist used to play on a flower bass.

In a band i played bass in I used to wear all these overtly retarded xian church shirts... ones that were poorly designed and with retarded sayings on them. and many people didn't get that I wore them as a joke. I don't care.

I don't listen or see a band because of what they look like. I listen/see a band cause of what they sound like.

anyone who does really isn't a serious metal fan.

now the second part about him being a seeker is something I get in why never wanting to have anything to do with him. Someone who is a 'seeker' is also someone who more likely going to seek out another band that's going to get him more of what he wants (popularity and stupidity)

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:03 pm 

Oh well... Not a great loss on passing on that guy... :D

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:06 pm 

SLK is right. It's people that dress up to be something they aren't that piss me off.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 pm 

StinkyPenis wrote:
SLK is right. It's people that dress up to be something they aren't that piss me off.

So, like, if someone dressed up to be some bastardised hybrid of an emo and a hip hop fan, but was really a total metalhead and an awesome tech death guitarist?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:27 pm 

and I've meet some completely totally great guitarists down here that looked like toolbags. you don't have to dress the part to enjoy the music you play.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:26 pm 

I'm not talking about clothes. This guys whole persona just reeked mallcore. I mean look at his damned picture! The only thing missing is the duckface, for crying out loud!

Look at it this way. You're less likely to get the job you applied for if you show up dressed like a slob.

My gut feeling told me this wasn't quite the right one for us.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:26 pm 

the only thing that picture really told me was that he was ugly and likes pink.

I only went off what you said and you only told us about his appearance.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:19 am 

good fuck, man. I've got about 5 or 7 songs almost written (except for solos & lyrics loolz) and I haven't a damn thing to record with. I saw a cool Ltd 7 string but I can't afford it nor can I afford proper recording equipment. Looks like its back to the drawing board for now.
I already have the bass guitars, amps, and drum programming but I haven't anything else. Complained about this once before but now it's becoming a problem.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:42 am 

SLK: Ugly? I was thinking more of what that and his other pictures told me about his personality.

Someone who's 23 does not take pictures of himself like that.

Anyway, I was sweating there for a while but we're back on the right track again.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:52 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmkOCHGE ... DOt0pF8d8=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLuyYXbw ... uKGBa0ZqQ=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd18T9v0 ... 8VcaW1yhM=

Put some of my band's songs on youtube so people don't have to navigate through Facebook's Band Profile app to hear our stuff.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:19 am 

Porman wrote:
SLK: Ugly? I was thinking more of what that and his other pictures told me about his personality.

Someone who's 23 does not take pictures of himself like that.

Anyway, I was sweating there for a while but we're back on the right track again.

Again, you didn't link all his photos or said anything about his personality. I'm 30 and took pictures like that. I don't know what context it was taken in. I did mine for trolling and humour, there's no telling to me if that was done in the same manner. You only bring up everything else after I've railed you on your first post.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 am 

I can't link to his other pictures since I deleted him just minutes after I added him on Facebook. Sorry, but that is not a good first impression if you want to join a band.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:38 pm 

I'm setting everything up for drum recordings!! Hopefully, I'll do all songs within the next 2-3 days.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:53 pm 

Well next time you say something like you did perhaps give a bit more background than just linking some photo and going 'lol look dudes'

anyways I recorded the 2 songs I've written for a new sludge doom band. Pretty much wanting to pick up where Raum left off since I can't get the guitarist to come back in town to lay down anything.

also wrote and recorded 2 new Uzumaki songs for a new full length.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:19 pm 

First impressions dude, first impressions... I thought the picture would say it all.

I didn't even have a head on the guy we're trying out, since he sent me a video of him playing without showing his face.

By the way, what's with all the Japanese names? Is there a story behind them?

And still no comments and thoughts on my old stuff?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:39 pm 

did you link your old stuff? cause I haven't even seen it. unless you made it in a new thread. I browse them sparingly if I feel I have the time to listen

and I just happen to like the japanese names they make for far more interesting logos. and 'Spirals' in english as a band name would look dumb ass hell.

Ishimura I didn't pick because it was japanese... infact I thought it was just made up. I picked it cause I love Dead Space that much. lol.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm 

okay looked at the main page and I scrolled up this thread... I'm not back tracking pages now to find shit. re-link if you really want my opinion on something.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:47 pm 

Interesting.

Weird. I thought I'd posted the link earlier...
I've gathered everything collectively here (except for Hostile Reaction in which I was briefly a member):
http://www.phidion.st

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:01 pm 

So these are all your bands? I'm really liking PHIDION a lot.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:11 pm 

Ruins of Time I'm not really digging from what I can actually get to play for me.

Total Death I could get into if everything was recorded differently and it wasn't a drum machine.

Sauron I can kinda get into. it's one of those things I'd have to be in the mood to listen to. i'd rather it be more blistering

Hostile Reaction as all the markings visually as a grindcore or warmetal... this what I'm hearing just makes me very sad. Never want to hear again.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:45 pm 

I was only in Hostile Reaction for just a few months. I really like what they're doing now, which is less keys and faster songs!

Total and Sauron were just side projects, where everything was recorded sporadically. You can hear it pretty well on every release by both bands except for maybe the last release by each band, which were a little more planned out. The first Sauron demo which I won't upload, started out with one song that http://www.metal-archives.com/artists/Mathias_%C3%96jermark/3925 had recorded on his 4-track, which I in turn wrote a lyric to that wasn't quite serious. And it just rolled and we took it more seriously with time.

Total Deäth was just primitive. Songs were written in like month between everything else we did. Me and Mathias both played in Ruins of Time and had Sauron, Total Deäth and another non-metal project all at the same time while going out every single weekend, getting smashed. A busy time indeed.

Ruins of Time was my first band. I was only just 21 when I started the band and I had only been playing for 4½ years by then. I wrote the majority of the songs. You should focus on the two releases that aren't rehearsal demos, but I read that you aren't really into the melodic stuff so that's ok.
I really think we did something great with those two albums, although reviews were usually negative on the second release. Everything on the For a New Dawn was played right through, with punch ins only where there were breaks.
Me and my long time friend Mathias will once again, record six left over songs that never went further than a rehearsal demo. We planned to record them in 2009 but then our drummer got to busy with Hostile Reaction and everything just got dropped. He has since retired because of an ear problem.
Unfortunately, instead of rehearsing them all over again and recording them with a real drummer, we will use programmed drums.

Phidion....

That demo that we have out was very, very rushed! Sloppy drumming, I am a bit unsatisfied with the guitar sound (guess what amp we used), and we didn't bother sending out the stuff.
Expect something different and much better soon. Unfortunately, it's programmed drums on the upcoming demo, but we didn't have a drummer at the time and we wanted to stay productive and use the time to do something.

Overall, I've been busy throughout the years, but I have kids now, so I don't really have the time to sit down and play and write as I used to.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:52 pm 

Well that's great you have been keeping busy, I actually like how that first demo sounds, I mean yea it's not the best but I can actually tell it's musicians happy to play what they are playing. a little slop is never wrong.

I couldn't get anything to really play for ruins I had to go to myspace and the only thing that would play is the live video. so that's about all I could make out.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:08 pm 

Thanks! Hopefully, someone will pick up on the upcoming demo. Actually, I will be happy if anyone wants to distribute it. Don't really care much for record deals and such nasty headaches...

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:53 pm 

Change of plans for today; setting up the 'studio' for Forestfather recordings, my wife came and asked me to do a new song for her death metal project. Since we're already there, we did another demo track! I guess I'll upload it as the other one later tonight or tomorrow.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 185  Next