Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IwasAposer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:16 pm 

I'm trying to find a bassist and a vocalist and songwriting for my thrash band. I am also trying to incorpore Harmonic Minor and Diminished scales into my solos.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:08 pm 

So the album came out today. Here's the song with Andy LaRocque on it for those who expressed interest in hearing it.

https://soundcloud.com/mortemcadaver/so ... -sepulcher

The rest of the album's up on Soundcloud too if you wanna hear it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

InThyKingdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 pm 

Hm, Andy was out of inspiration?? The solo sounds pretty naive - no offence!
LITTLE NORWAY PRODUCTIONS

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:28 am 

I thought the song was decent, but I guess I was really expecting a whole lot more out of the solo haha, given how long his solo spot was!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:40 pm 

Putting the finishing touches on a bunch of black metal songs I've recently written. I think I'll be able to release a full length album this weekend.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:22 pm 

So my jokingly writing a deathcore song has turned into a new idea/project of mine called Devourer in the Mist, a Lovecraft-themed deathcore band. I'll probably churn out an EP or two and that's it, I don't really take deathcore that seriously. And it's just for shits and giggles. So cue the pseudo gothenburg style riffs followed by breakdowns!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 pm 

lol infinite. breakdowns for the tenacled one!

I'm happy i don't have to go out of town next week cause I've been antsy about writing some new stuff and working on all this other material I have here that needs to have the good work on. And I know after this weekend I can focus on it more fully than splitting it with trying to push out more paintings to sell.

iamntbatman, yea I was talking to you. I might throw down something tmwr while I'm sitting waiting for people to come by and purchase some ugly skull paintings.

Going to help start composing lyrics for the next Vomitwolves album cause there seems to be a growing fascination/demand for some new material. Makes me feel good.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:29 pm 

Perpendiculous

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:17 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
lol infinite. breakdowns for the tenacled one!

Going to help start composing lyrics for the next Vomitwolves album cause there seems to be a growing fascination/demand for some new material. Makes me feel good.

writing deathcore is strangely fun, because I don't take it seriously and I'm almost purposely trying to make it stereotypical and shitty. And it is turning out decent. If nothing else I'll make it bassy so it'll sound good cranked up. The only downside to lovecraft-themed is I can't just write a bunch of daddy hate music, I have to actually pay attention to my lyrics, hahaha.

I think the vomitwolves is great because you've got your wife doing black metal vocals, and that's fucking awesome. I wish I could have a hot wife singing black metal vocals for a music project of mine! (meant respectfully)

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:05 pm 

Just rediscovered Sevendust, after not having heard them in 10 years (because I've moved on to real metal, basically). I used to love them back in the late 90s/early 2000s. They always had one quality that a lot of metal bands have seem to forgot - they sounded awesome cranked up in a car with a subwoofer or two.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:25 pm 

Okay, so my first guitar was a 1984 Ibanez DT-250. Pointy as shit and sounds absolutely AMAZING. I keep buying guitars and building guitars to replace it, so I can retire this guitar and let it age gracefully, but nothing can replace it. It just sounds so fucking heavy. And I have built guitars from mahogany and maple tops with seymour duncan pickups, and others with various exotic hardwoods.

If any of you see an Ibanez DT-250 on eBay or anything, bright red and all, for a good price, BUY IT. It is the best sounding metal guitar you will ever own, for any price. Period. And I've played guitars that were $4,000 and more. Trust me. Those old Ibanez destroyers from the mid and early 80s with the V5 pickups (blade pickups) sounded absolutely unbelievable. Honestly I think it's useless for me to try to replace this guitar with anything else, I need to just get another destroyer to get that same crushing sound. Seriously, words can't describe the tone of the damn DT-250 and DT-350. Just fucking crushing and unbelievably fucking metal.

Wait. If you see it on eBay don't bid on it. Keep the price low, so I can afford it! Hahahahaha. Seriously though, if you want a metal guitar, you really can't get better than those. They are fucking amazing. I just keep waiting for the right deal to pop up on eBay, I bought mine in 1994 for $200 at a pawn shop, and I'm hoping to pick up a similar deal.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:47 pm 

No offense taken, it was something I had brought up to her and she was all about it. I didn't need to coax her into it or direct her on how to do the vocals. I just showed her how to record and stop it and restart it to do another take if she wanted. Then I left and came back and she created all that goodness. all I did was add some reverb cause we both love some reverb.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:06 pm 

That's so fucking awesome man. And a bit of reverb is a vocalist's dream. Makes everything sound better, just ask Journey.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:12 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
iamntbatman, yea I was talking to you. I might throw down something tmwr while I'm sitting waiting for people to come by and purchase some ugly skull paintings.

Cool, thanks man. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

InThyKingdom was cool enough to hook me up with a friend of his for some vocal goodness, so it looks like Coma Void is finally moving forward!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:37 am 

Alrighty, here we go. My first deathcore song ever, complete with some shitty clean singing. At least the lyrics are about Cthulhu, so there's some redemption. Anyone who listens to this, please critique it as much as possible, and be critical and brutal. If you don't like something let me know. I'm new to shitty deathcore, and I want to do that radio-friendly pile of shit correctly so I can be a millionaire (sarcasm).
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/728 ... rising.mp3

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:44 am 

The vocals shouldn't be as raspy, that's about the only critique I had.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 am 

Went too long without a breakdown, but the first one with the clean vocals was as scene as it gets haha, which is what you were going for anyway so good job I guess! The chugging needs to be simpler during the breakdowns too so it's easier to punch the floor to :P

Basically, more and simpler breakdowns and catchier clean choruses :D

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:08 am 

Thanks guys!

Yeah I found that I can't do the typical deathcore scream, so I had to just do what I could

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:09 am 

Since when was infinitenexus a member of In Flames?

:P

EDIT: oh god this is hilarious
A MILE HIGH ROTTEN EGG AIR OF DEATH, ASSAULTS YOUR NOSTRILS!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:22 pm 

hahahahahahahaha

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 pm 

Been thinking about the whole deathcore thing, and I'm not so sure I want to do it anymore. I'm fine with doing something melodic and more "radio-friendly", I just don't think I want to be part of the deathcore scene. I think I'll end up making the music more like mid- to late-90s gothenburg style melodic death metal, which I would be happier with anyways.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 pm 

If you went for something like The Jester Race I feel as if you'd be able to pull it off pretty well.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:54 am 

He'd have to pussify the riffing a lot for that though, to me the melodic bits sound more like Dimension Zero with more distortion than anything else :P

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:07 am 

Currently trying to find some time/opportunities to expand into doing more music outside of the main band. For one, I'd rather not get stuck in doing one or two specific genres, and secondly as a guitarist I need to get back into standard tunings hehe. Been playing in Drop C for so long that all my riffing and soloing improvs are all visualized in drop tuning. Makes learning new cover songs for fun a bit more difficult, since I have to transpose everything and sometimes some stuff is nearly unplayable because the movements are so far apart :@

Only have 2 guitars and both are in Drop C, one acting as a spare.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:36 am 

somefella wrote:
He'd have to pussify the riffing a lot for that though, to me the melodic bits sound more like Dimension Zero with more distortion than anything else :P

God that band lmao, I haven't heard mention of them in such a long time :P

I'm currently trying to slow down my writing process, I wrote 3-4 songs in the month of October and I fear a burnout. I gotta take things slower I think. The last song I wrote was really fucking technical, now I'm writing a song that's more catchy old heavy metal style with some Celtic Frost leanings in it. It's a lot of fun!

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:17 am 

Well... my songwriting process is definitely going to be slowed down now because my guitar is broken. I felt inspired to try writing riffs today then plugged in only to find out that one of the tiny cables that connects to the input cable is severed. I had to tape it back together.

:(

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 pm 

ALl my guitar inputs are fucked up. I hate having to resolder shit and tape stuff. I feels for ya man.

https://controlledbyfear.bandcamp.com/a ... ed-by-fear

Also our EP is done. Name your price. Download that shit, stream it, just check it out please. It definitely exceeds my expectations and I think if you are a fan of grindcore you will like it. There is only one thing I don't like but its still awesome.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:24 pm 

THEMICRULAH wrote:
If you went for something like The Jester Race I feel as if you'd be able to pull it off pretty well.

I'm kinda shooting for a style very similar to early In Flames, with a lot of harmonized leads and melodies. My voice is very different from him, so I'll be stuck with death and black growls and the occasional bit of clean singing, if I can do it without sucking. And of course I want the guitars to be a bit more aggressive.

And somefella, I definitely don't want to pussify the riffs! But thanks for the compliment!

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:33 pm 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
ALl my guitar inputs are fucked up. I hate having to resolder shit and tape stuff. I feels for ya man.

Also our EP is done. Name your price. Download that shit, stream it, just check it out please. It definitely exceeds my expectations and I think if you are a fan of grindcore you will like it. There is only one thing I don't like but its still awesome.

I checked it out, good stuff man. Great grindy sounding music. I'm digging it a lot and I picked up a copy.

Also I second the hatred of soldering guitars. I can't stand it either.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:35 pm 

Well I took my guitar to the shop today and it's being repaired. I'm getting a new input jack put into it and all that jazz, it's running me $20 which is cool considering I don't know how to solder or any of that shiiii (nor do I have the means or equipment to do so).

Early In Flames is one of my favorite things infinitenexus! Making it heavier sounds awesome - I feel like that idea hasn't been explored by many bands, that'll be awesome to hear!!

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:03 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:

I checked it out, good stuff man. Great grindy sounding music. I'm digging it a lot and I picked up a copy.

Also I second the hatred of soldering guitars. I can't stand it either.

Thanks a lot man glad you dig it.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:37 pm 

Soldering isn't hard. You can pick up a decent soldering gun for $10 at any radio shack, and some solder also. Then just google it, it's pretty simple to do stuff like output jacks. Always a good skill to know, too.

themicrulah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:59 pm 

Thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely look into that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:18 pm 

You can also buy soldering supplies extremely cheaply on Amazon.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 pm 

Also, lead free solder isn't half as hard to work with as some sources suggest, and the cost difference is marginal for the levels most musicians would be using. I taught a little kid how to solder using lead free solder so I promise its just as easy.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm 

I don't recommend it but I've soldered the wires back onto an output jack using a cigarette lighter when I wasn't at home and had nothing else available. You should buy a soldering iron and learn how to use it. I recommend that every guitarist learn by buying a shitty guitar and beating the hell out of it until you know how to fix everything.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm 

Just tuned my piece of shit Les Paul down an octave from standard. I was just fucking around with drones and noises and I'm totally going to use this to add a bunch of weird noise and harmonize a particularly percussive guitar riff. I've wanted to make some kind of weird track in the vein of Boris/Ulver/Sunn O))) for some time now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:36 am 

more breakdowns, simple breakdowns, and more autotune on the clean singing... but that is if you were going to continue with that. other than that it was spot on for it.

batman, haven't gotten you stuff yet will be soon.

actually made it to the shed today wrote my black metal song. got the drums down and was actually having some difficulty with the guitars and then had to leave so I could go get my fur children some food. so i'll do my guitars tmwr. I'm thinking 2 main with maybe even a 3rd and 4th layering in some spots.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:30 am 

We usually do 4 layers in Oshiego as a rule of thumb, which figures out to 2 layers per guitarist. My other guitarist does his first because he has a little more feel for the band's riffing style than I do, having been a founding member and all.

Time to whip out the dusty acoustic guitar and play some country.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:40 am 

I like to keep things simple with only doing the 2. one for each side with the variations. Once my friend finishes building my 5 way switch some of my stuff will have multiple guitar tracks as in one performance through 2 different set ups completely twice over. so I can see if I like how that all sounds mixed together.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 185  Next