Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 am 

Hold up let me push that cookie right out my ass.

I just finished everything for the Ange De La Mort song... single... I guess it's a single instead of an ep. Though singles are usually for support of an album this song I'm only going to be releasing on this cd

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:55 am 

Yeah it's kinda weird but it works. Sometimes he'll just use that one finger to play some notes but tell me to use an octave chord or power chord when I play it instead. The Woe To The Conquered album was recorded he could still use his index and middle fingers to play power chords, so he recorded guitars for that. Everything after that, he switched places with the then-vocalist. I'm quite impressed that he couldn't do a death growl at all when he first got started but pushed himself to learn how.

On another note, how often do you guys have to change strings? The fucking humidity here means that unless I buy coated strings, a normal set doesn't last more than 2 weeks of regular playing, a coated set lasts maybe 2 months.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am 

Months. or when I break one or when someone else uses a guitar of mine cause it seems the strings immediately rust in a week.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:35 am 

I received two packs of Elixir 12-54's this past Christmas as a gift, and setup my Gunslinger in B standard tuning with those strings. Still play like they're brand new, and I've been doing some heavy playing on them over the past month. Sweat (mine is of the highly corrosive variety), temperature changes, spilled beer on them, still like new. I'd say they're almost worth the price tag.

Been jamming with a couple buddies of mine in between writing for my own personal stuff, and it's been pretty fun so far. We're all playing guitar, so naturally we've been getting pretty ridiculous with layers/harmonies. Not sure if anything will come of it but we'll see.

I've also been kinda wanting another seven-string guitar recently. Those Ibanez Universe green-dot reissues look pretty nice...I had a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser a few years ago and loved it, but I think if I do decide to get another 7 I want to get something a little different.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:44 pm 

well wrapped up some mixing and sending off orders and getting more shit pressed and took inventory of what I have of my cds.

Wrote a Draug song for the next full length and started mixing shit down for Corpse Arise's next release.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:53 pm 

As promised, here is the new Blacksoul Seraphim song, "The Catalyst".

https://blacksoulseraphim.bandcamp.com/ ... e-catalyst

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:38 pm 

Your drums sound great. Just not into it at all. and the guitars are mixed down way too far in the mix. it's almost all vocals and drums.

remixed and threw it my Ange De La Mort song, releasing it on cd:
http://speedritualrecords.bandcamp.com/ ... -of-sorrow

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:02 pm 

Shit, those vocals are great. A little bit off at times, but the singer has a good voice.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 pm 

That Blacksoul Seraphim song was alright. Kinda reminded me of like, Isole mixed with A Perfect Circle, or something. I agree with SLK; guitars should be a lot higher in the mix. I dig the general atmosphere and approach but none of the melodies or riffs really did much for me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 pm 

Josh is a much better clean singer than I am. I in turn am a much better harsh vocalist than he is, hence my position doing that aspect of the sound on the few songs that do have harshes in them.

As for the drums, they, like the last song, are 100% natural, with no sound replacing, quantizing, or other post-production tinkering done to them whatsoever. This time you can tell they're completely real by how I'm pushing the tempo at times, just like a real person would. Also, SLK, I remember you saying about The Squire that the kick was too buried in the mix and quiet. Well, that's fixed here. It fits this song better anyway since this one's not as "post-metal" in what the guitars are doing compared to the first one.

With the guitars, I can hear them fine, but that could be just because I've listened to the song enough times over the last 7 months since it was written that I know how they go just by instinct.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:42 pm 

Yea when it's like that then you might not notice it they aren't loud enough. 2 separate people here now have stated they need to be louder. Yea you can hear them but they need to have more control in that mix otherwise it's just background. and yes the kick sounds better here. but still not really a fan of it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:53 pm 

Considering I've got much more influence in the mixing decisions here than I did for the Sorrowseed album, I'll definitely make sure the guitars for the songs going forward are loud enough.

Besides, once all the songs are released (whenever that may be; there's still 7-10 songs left in this whole monthly release thing we're doing) and I make the album out of them, I'll see if we can remix each song to be similar in terms of effects and levels and whatnot. For now, I'm considering these released versions of the songs the single versions while I wait for the next year for the time to come to put the album together for them all.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 pm 

Three. Turn em up, Mr. S.

SLK, Your shit is pure carnage... Like a surreal, ghostly carnage. I like how creepy it sounds beneath the aggression.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 pm 

Subrick- damn that's one long ass wait to release shit but I know that's how you have to get things done the best for you. I tried doing that with a friend in vermont. But that's been over 5 years he gets wrapped up in shit and then contact me out of the blue I do a bunch of work...mainly drums and then it falls to the wayside again.

Arkhane, thanks! I wanted it to be exactly how you described more emphasis on atmosphere but I didn't want it totally just depend on that. Which is kinda why I've been laying back with the new material... it's just idea I haven't been able to form some solid stuff yet. Maybe in a month. I want to get this Corpse Arise release mixed and out and write and record my split with clogged and his band Nostril Caverns. also have another collection of songs that I'm grouping under a name that went unused since all the songs were meant for that band anyway... just different incarnations of it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:01 am 

Yeah, it probably won't be until the end of this year or the start of 2015 when everything's released. The reasons we're doing it this way is so that we can provide a steady stream of content on a regular basis, plus it's spreading out the costs of recording and post-production over a longer period of time, thus making it more cost effective for us to make all this music in the long run. I view it as it could potentially attract more people to this particular project as well since it's just one song a month you've got in front of you rather than 8-12 songs in one sitting, and we all know how hopelessly short the average person's attention span can be. Thankfully both Josh and myself are very much into it and he and I living only an hour and a half apart makes it easy to get together for sessions and whatnot. The studio we do all this at is about an hour away for me and about half an hour for him, and the engineer we're working with is both very familiar with the both of us (the first Sorrowseed album was tracked entirely there as well as the Pandora's Toybox album I drummed on) and very open to my wanting to record stuff in unconventional ways.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:18 am 

It's so short I honestly didn't know I told you that about the kick on another song. I had long since forgotten. I honestly thought this was the first song for this project you were finally gracing us with. So... well maybe it'll work for you. I rather have an album or ep that way when I discover it's far more likely I'll buy it then and there. usually if it's just samples or whatever I honestly don't bother listening till I know I can get the album. But I wish you the best.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:26 am 

We do have a full album actually, from summer 2012. It's 10 songs at 48 minutes I believe. I didn't play on it, as I wasn't involved in the project at the time. I was present for a couple of the sessions though, as they overlapped with some drum tracking for the Sorrowseed album. It's called "Alms & Avarice". It's also from before Josh and I decided to release everything for free/pay what you want, as he and I came to the conclusion that it'd be hypocritical for a band that talks about how capitalism sucks to be selling our music (hi, Rage Against the Machine). I've since changed the album's page to be free/pay what you want as well. There are some physical copies still floating around the internet, and the ones we do have we've just given away at shows.

https://blacksoulseraphim.bandcamp.com/ ... ms-avarice

And thank you for the well wishes.

SoulsInferno
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:55 am 

somefella wrote:
Nice job on the split anyways, liking that shit too.

Regarding pedalboards I honestly don't see a need for them in metal, besides shit like a wah or a tuner how much else are you gonna need? Even in a band like Megadeth where the guitar leads are a huge part of the music, they don't use many effects at all.

EDIT: "I use the same sound for rhythm and lead. Dynamics are in the pick" -Devin Townsend.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2011/10/07/rigged-devin-townsends-massive-live-rig-piece-by-piece/

...still uses a pedalboard.

Anyway, my only reason for wanting a pedalboard is so I can stop recording with a mic. I'm hardly ever in a situation where a mic is feasible, it's a hassle to position to keep it consistent and I'm always moving my current amp and shit around so I can't have it in the same place. I also enjoy just fucking around with many different guitar fx for no reason at all. If my current computer could handle it I'd get a decent program like axe-edit or something like that and model my tone from there but I always get too much latency to record well with computer simulated fx. I would love to have a permanent amp/mic recording set up with good equipment but I can't afford it yet. My neighbors would probably bring a noise ordinance down on my head if I did, so I have no better ideas.

http://fidesinferno.bandcamp.com/

https://vacuusdoom.bandcamp.com/

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:53 am 

Exactly what I do with my effects board. I plug the second output of my board into my laptop. It doesn't give me that defined sound you typically hear, but that's not really what I'm going for with my current endeavors so it's all good.

Mr. Lamb, do you have a hard copy ready to ship? If so, I'm going to place an order.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 am 

Arkhane wrote:
Exactly what I do with my effects board. I plug the second output of my board into my laptop. It doesn't give me that defined sound you typically hear, but that's not really what I'm going for with my current endeavors so it's all good.

Mr. Lamb, do you have a hard copy ready to ship? If so, I'm going to place an order.

New Merihim logo is sick, dude. Very nice work

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 am 

Akhane, the cds should be here in a week. I placed the order last night. So you can go ahead and place the order if you want cause it just sits in my email and I'll ship it out once they come in.

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:54 pm 

Well we practiced and wrote two songs. Which was unexpected to say the least. Sounds really good too. Probably going to write 2 more and then wait to return to write more which will probably be 3-5 more depending on how long the songs are. Then record and do a split with MDFL or some other band.

Mixed and master 5 songs for our other split though and it sounds really good. Wish I wasn't sick when I did the vocals cause they sound different then what I do live but its definitely crunchier then the previous recording. I'll post a song asap.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:22 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Akhane, the cds should be here in a week. I placed the order last night. So you can go ahead and place the order if you want cause it just sits in my email and I'll ship it out once they come in.

Done.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:36 pm 

Just came on since I'm on my coffee break. When I get home I'll get the mailer ready to shove one in immediately when they show up!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 pm 

SLK, yeah your black metal challenge song was epically screwy! I'm currently practising drums for my thrash challenge songs, but am hoping record the drums for our split around the same time. I'm all practised up for the drums/guitars for our split and just have to write some vocals.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:46 pm 

Awesome! And I really liked yours. Did you ever remix it and get it set up to be released on cd? You really need to.

it's finally warming up some here so I can actively start writing consistently like I normally do. I'm looking forward to smashing it all out.

came home today I'm going to rerun through that Draug song i wrote yesterday and maybe write a new one. I'm remixing the KP EP that I originally was going to do for that challenge that was story based. It's just about perfect... minus it needed more snare.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:04 pm 

Threw out a cheap offer on ebay on this and well the guy took it...

Spoiler: show

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 am 

So I've been trying to do a little bit of promoting for the Coma Void album and the response has been pretty good. A few blogs have posted about it and some more reviews should hopefully be coming in soon. However, was kinda peeved today because this Brazilian zine I've never heard of that I didn't even contact emailed me saying they wanna review the album, so I say ok and send them a promo code to download it and he writes me back all smugly that they only review physical copies and says he's awaiting the arrival of the CD.

I understand that it sorta works that way in general, but shit, he contacted ME in the first place. I dunno, I just get this feeling a lot of these zines are basically just dudes who wanna build up huge collections without paying for 'em. None of the bigger sites I've talked to have wanted physical stuff so far.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:17 am 

Yea that happens quite often I did it once for Filtheater and sent a Yzordderrex album with it as well over to France for ORiffs... he said they never showed up. I don't deal with him though he keeps emailing me. I just ignore it.

And yea a lot of those dudes nowadays pretty much do it soully to get more shit for themselves, not like it was back in the day where you did shit on stuff you bought and loved to begin with. Piss on him to expect something like that, tell him you expect payment for the physical album otherwise shove off.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:35 am 

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:17 am 

I did get that occasionally too, when trying to get some promo. But hey, all you need to write a review is the tracks. In fact, I could have just sent them a bandcamp link and ask them to review it from there. I'm not saying I'll never send a physical CD for review, but if a stranger just demands one online then bully for you.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:40 am 

I don't understand how you can't review a band just off their bandcamp. having the MP3s/physical copy isn't that much different than just streaming it from bandcamp. A certain person from this site seems to think differently on that when he approached me about reviewing some of my stuff.

Unlife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:19 am 

I always tell em to fuck off. If you really want to review it that badly, there's no reason why you couldn't do it from MP3s alone. But no, they just want free shit, and they get so pissed off and ass-hurt when you tell them no, which shows you none of them have any intent to support any music made by anyone.

Been lazy lately and haven't done anything with my full-length, but I have been fucking around with some cool new riffs, maybe for a different project though. Thinking maybe some FinnDeath kinda shit.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:21 pm 

Heh, yeah, and I just realized the dude included this line at the end of his last email to me:

"Support true bands, labels, albums and true collectors!
Against pirates, downloaders and digital music!"

The *really* funny thing is that his original email to me says he found me through a "review" of my stuff from the "review" site bunalti.com. I mean, that's blatantly a pirate site. I don't even think they have reviews. So clearly the dude pirated my stuff from there in the first place.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:35 pm 

Yea that's just goofy as shit. Any reviews I've gotten on my stuff it usually stuff I didn't know happened... meaning whoever heard it took it upon themselves to review it for one reason of another.

Blood_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 pm 

Been scouring eBay for cheap cymbals. I need a new ride cymbal but I don't feel like paying $200-$300 for a new one, so eBay it is. I found a nice sounding crash on there for $20 in great shape, albeit tarnished.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 pm 

if you aren't particular to a brand or specific one do what i do. I basically search for the big brands like Zildjin, Sabian, Menial... go to list lowest first and big on like 40 of them with my top dollar and after a week I've won at least one of them for what I wanted to pay.

Blood_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:24 pm 

I do similar, I just put them in my watch list and wait until they're close to done and check the prices. I've picked up a lot of shit cheap that way. Right now I'm hoping to score a second crash cymbal and one of those cymbal boom arms that clamps onto an existing cymbal stand, for the sake of simplicity. Also going to try to pick up a cheap drum throne, since right now I'm still using my cheapo office chair.

Blood_puke
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:25 pm 

my cheap crash cymbal is a "Camber". probably a cheaper brand but I'm still pretty new to drums so I don't care too much.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 pm 

I use a bar stool for a throne. I used one for awhile when my friend borrowed my throne and he left me his stool.. and then he sorta just kept my throne and then that's what I got used to playing on and can't stand anything else but a hard wooden 24" bar stool.

Oh yea forgot camber I sometimes look them up.

I don't even watch the cymbals I just bid on them and as they disappear they are just gone. it's rare that I bid on that many and I don't win one, usually it's 2 or 3.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 185  Next