Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:46 am 

I wish it were the case but no, just black/crust (admittedly not so much crust).

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:01 am 

When I think of those theme's black metal isn't the first thing to come to mind. But sounds cool.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:31 pm 

well I say that because stormcrow and hellshock... crust bands with similar themes of war or warhammer that's pretty much is bolt thrower covers.

Jasper... never think ofBal-Sagoth? similar themes to a degree.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:11 pm 

Basically done with the five songs for the demo, musically, but feel like maybe I want to write a few more before starting the vocals... can't decide...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:18 pm 

if riffs are calling your name... follow them. keep writing till they stop coming.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:18 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Jasper... never think ofBal-Sagoth? similar themes to a degree.

I've heard of the band, but never listened to it. So no.
There's way too much good music around to know everything haha

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:48 am 

oh i know, but that's a band that you should have taken a listen to because they fall into the category of good music. for me almost breaking into great music.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:20 am 

Jasper92 wrote:
There's way too much good music around to know everything haha

So true.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:49 pm 

I'm debating going into debt to buy a $3000 synthesizer. I suppose I could just save up for it but ahhhh... so tempting.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:16 pm 

I'm not particularly excited or stoked for my band's upcoming show but I am getting a few pre-show jitters, which is normal for me. Not because I'm embarrassed to fuck up (I know the guy doing the sound for the show and the band is likely not to hear themselves, let alone the audience) but I have this silly compulsion to want to play everything right. Even if I mess up during rehearsal I cringe massively, albeit internally.

Going to record more songs to send a caveman to beat drumskins to next week as well. About halfway through the album, am also coming up with some lyrical concepts since my singer is drained of any at the moment.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:29 pm 

Somefella>Having a bad soundman at a gig sucks. Just bring a full stack and make sure the sound off the stage is good and who cares what comes from the house. I used to take my full stack all the time and if the soundman gripped, I'd just tell him I was only hooking up one cabinet and using the other for "looks", then if he sucked I'd use 'em both.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
if riffs are calling your name... follow them. keep writing till they stop coming.

They're calling. Song #6 in the works, with ideas for #7 slamming around in the cranial backrooms...

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:22 am 

trying to save up for a guitar right now, and i have an old drum set that i need to make room for since i just moved. usually i just produce hip hop but i've been in a mood to make something different as of recently. maybe i'll freshen up on guitar and just make black metal hip hop.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:57 pm 

That sounds goddamn horrible. But it's probably already done and throw out on other forums that are more receptive to things like that.

I always bring full gear for shows and use full gear for shows. I give no fucks for any sound man. I usually tell them not to bother to mic me.

well I got forestfather tracks to do, oshiego to work on, and start composing some Vomitwolves for 2 splits. that's for just this week so I hope at least one them is completed then I head back out of town for 2 weeks.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 pm 

We've got two songs full written for the next Sorrowseed record. We're learning the shorter, blastier one as a group right now for a festival we're doing in October around Halloween. I've been working on my one foot blasting a lot more lately, so I might just do the whole song one foot live.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:18 am 

One foot blasts are fucking sick. Sounds awesome man

Wrote two new songs. Very unrelenting. Moving away from "slow" parts unless they have a cool groove to them or of course is super heavy. Cant fuck around anymore. I want death metal bands to feel like hard rock after we play.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:02 pm 

Yeah, singlefoot blasting is where it's at, I jerk off to that shit.

Oshiego played our first show in almost four years today, and nailed everything, even the sound. Couldn't be happier with our session members, total pros. Our bassist basically rehearsed with us three times and learned songs by ear, and he was fucking flawless. I can't imagine ever having that kind of talent, ever. I'm more of an adequate-player-due-to-lots-of-practice kinda guy.

EDIT: Here's some, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nokuEDbgnRA

skibolky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:21 pm 

I just bought a 7 string Jackson. Cheapest one they make so I can start learning the songs I've written for 7 strings on guitar pro

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:39 am 

somefella wrote:

Dig it! Clean sound for live video, too. Love yer shirt too. Is your drummer wearing an Impending Doom shirt?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:32 am 

No, it's actually an Affliction (MMA-ish sportswear LOL) brand t-shirt. And cheers, it was actually recorded via my girlfriend's iPhone 6, I can't believe how clear it is. We had a great sound because we made an effort to chat up the soundman and also not blast our amps like morons (yeah, all dials to eleven is metal, but not great for a live mix).

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:59 pm 

I'm currently recording my DSBM band, Hollow Lives' début album. I've just finished recording a new song, if you're interested in DSBM influenced by doom metal and depressive rock please have a listen. When it's done I'm going to put it on bandcamp.com for free download.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdJxeo58h8Y
YouTube:
https://youtu.be/IpHHtQSEng4?si=SkrRhwSLhz6MLjsq

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:27 pm 

Picked up a bass today (my first instrument ever), it's a black Ibanez GSR200 and my amp is an Ampeg BA-110v2, gonna learn how to play that shit now! Tips are welcome, of course.

Pic from my Instagram:
Spoiler: show

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:35 am 

If you're interested on learning music theory, start with that applied to bass. If not, learn easy songs and go slow but solid with your playing.

Develop from the very start a good picking technique;

For the left hand get used to put the thumb always behind the fingers you're using to play and don't use any other part of your hand to pick the fretboard, only the fingers. Also, get used to use the pinky one from the start, no matter how hard might be at first. Look for scales and practice them for getting more used to the whole fretboard.

For the right hand, DON'T rest your thumb on the pickup, JUST DON'T. It'll create a had habit and the chances for getting hurt are huge. Look for floating thumb on the net, where the hand's position is more natural, you use your strength way wiser and you can develop plenty of speed and control.

Now, if you're going really serious, I recommend Gary Willis' technique (Cynic's Sean Malone also uses it):

Dimaension_X
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm 

Trying to decide two things:

#1 - What my next project will be. I just finished my Dimaension X album, "Plagues of Aegyptus" and posted it on The Internet Archive and on YouTube.

#2 - Should I start a Bandcamp account? What do you need to start one (Paypal account, other info, etc). Anyone have any success and actually make any money?

http://dimaensionxblog.blogspot.com/

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm 

Kve pretty much summed up what I was going to say about playing bass. So nice you got one and looks like a decent amp to practice on.

Dimeansion X.. yes set up a bandcamp account. you need a paypal account. that's it.

And tons of band and people use it. help entire labels, bigger labels have set up bandcamps and post albums there for sale so obviously there is money to be made.

As far as you making money... that's all up to you in the material you produce and how hard you market it to an audience. Don't just expect people to come up and find it and throw money at you.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:30 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Picked up a bass today (my first instrument ever), it's a black Ibanez GSR200 and my amp is an Ampeg BA-110v2, gonna learn how to play that shit now! Tips are welcome, of course.

Pic from my Instagram:
Spoiler: show

I have a blue one of those. Amazing how nice it is for the price I paid. I'm sure you'll dig it for a long time.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:27 am 

Today was the first time I ever played drums so extreme for such a prolonged period of time that I actually got nauseous after standing up from the kit. You see, I was recording videos earlier, and after shooting the four songs I'm making videos out of, I found out the camera malfunctioned during the shoot and was only recording from the left audio channel (fucking on-board microphones). As I record my videos by just turning the camera on, recording what I intend, and separating them all later - in addition to laziness on my part to not watch back through the full 25 minute clip - I decided to just delete the original takes and play each song again. Not the smartest idea when you're recording a Marduk cover with all one foot blasting, the fastest Bloodbath song ever, and Strapping Young Lad's two most insane drumming songs imaginable. Mind you I don't have an air conditioner in this place, so while the extra heat means warming up takes much shorter, the humidity makes being in here unbearable at times, even while chugging ungodly amounts of water that all just sweats out in a matter of minutes. Never before has playing drums like that made me want to vomit, but I was feeling it immediately after finishing.

At least the footage came out good.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:06 am 

reminds me of the old days where I'd have 8 hour practice sessions with multiple bands in one day, and usually that was 3-4 times a week in the MS heat and humidity and all the material is the similar speed you are talking about. Never though felt like throwing up I did keep myself well hydrated during those times.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:21 pm 

Finally mixed and mastered my latest desert rock album until six in the morning. Burned the first CD. I'm officially a normie now guys.

https://thergl.bandcamp.com

Gag at how un-metal it is.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:51 pm 

Well, I decided to pull the trigger and bought a Roland JDX-A synthesizer. My wallet is 3 grand light but oooohhhh man it sounds just glorious. It’s the most I’ve ever spent on a single piece of equipment but totally worth it.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:23 pm 

The new Dalla Nebbia album, "Felix Culpa", is set to be released on Friday September 18th via Razed Soul Productions. Here is a link to the first track that our label is streaming on their Bandcamp page, entitled "Until The Rain Subsides"

http://www.razedsoul.bandcamp.com/album/felix-culpa

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:21 pm 

Been a while since I've posted in here. Had quite a lot going on though...

Blackthrash band kicked me out, post-metal band recorded an album that I haven't finished mixing yet 'cause I'm lazy/it's a fucking huge project, the black metal band opened for The Great Old Ones, Kayo Dot, and Botanist, then split up at the start of June, I've done a few live sets with improv grind mentalists Deathwank, then did a recording session with them the other week with me playing sax (that's yet to be released)...

And I've got a few new things starting up. Got another doom band to drum in, which is somewhere between superheavy Electric Wizard stuff and more psychey Jex Thoth sounds. We've got a female singer who's really good, so that should be pretty cool. I've been talking to a guitarist about playing some grind, they're pretty big into Discordance Axis, so that could be cool. I'm probably going to be drumming though, so I really need to practice...

And then my main focus this last wee while has been a blackened speed metal project. I've done a demo with a drum machine for now, with plans to do a proper EP with real drums later in the year once I can properly practice with my drummer. I'm pretty happy with the production on the demo, it's probably the most natural sounding drums I've ever got out of EZDrummer. If anyone's interested: http://veteris.bandcamp.com/releases

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:14 am 

played a show last night.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:48 pm 

goddamn

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:39 pm 

Did the math just now, and in the span of just a couple weeks of intense playing, I can one foot blast at 220 BPM now. Crazy how this whole "hard work" thing actually gives you results, isn't it?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:07 pm 

Yea I love hard work cause those magic results are always going to come through. I have been thinking of getting a pedal to have at the house to just mess with doing double bass while I'm on the computer since now one of my cats always claim the computer chair so I have a drum throne I sit on.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
played a show last night.

Not enough cabs, I can still see the window behind em. ;)

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:33 am 

I probably need more of that hard work thing. Video games always get in the way of both my studies and my guitar practice. When I got GTA V I literally didn't touch my guitar for so long that when I did pick it up I had actually momentarily forgot some basic shapes/scales. Now it's DotA 2 and some old Call of Duty games I'm replaying.

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:39 am 

Got to play with Shitfucker, Acid Witch and Bonehunter on Thursday. Great show.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:07 pm 

Iron1 wrote:

Not enough cabs, I can still see the window behind em. ;)

I know, I couldn't fit more in the truck, but I could've doubled that easily.

and I know what you mean somefella, there is always other vices pulling us away

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:08 pm 

That's why I rarely do things for fun aside from music. When I'm not at work or web surfing, I'm always doing something music or drumming related. I don't even go out for fun much unless it's a show. That's how deep into doing music and drumming I am at this point. I find that the less distractions that you have to take you away from your craft, the more time you'll put into said craft and just becoming as good as you possibly can at it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 185  Next