Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:53 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I've come to rather enjoy the huge high mid boost of the TS-9, so I wouldn't change it altogether to something flatter.

Maybe try something like an LPB-1 or a similar simple clean boost before your overdrive. You can still find these brand new for like $30, I believe.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:54 am 

Maybe just a TS808 for something similar but better ;) Don't waste money on the supposedly handwound ones though.

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:01 pm 

Trying to get my band Dismal Descent off the ground. Right now there's only three of us, two guitarists (one of them being me) and a bassist. In addition to playing rhythm guitar, I also write all the lyrics and vocal melodies (though we have no singer yet) while the other guitarist (who plays lead) comes up with all the riffs. We might be getting a drummer soon and after we write several songs together, we'll start auditioning vocalists. Hopefully things will get moving again here soon.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:55 am 

Finally got my DAW ducks in a row and recorded a chunk of a new song yesterday. Drum track (from Beta Monkey), LTD guitar track, Ibanez guitar track and bass track, then doubled each and poured some super nasty distortion on the bass tracks and it rumbles - like the soundtrack for a herd of angry war elephants! Want to re-do about half the guitar tracks tomorrow and then mix it a bit better. Once I know I can go start to finish with that and get a solid product, I'll start doing the new demo.

Somefella, still dialing in the sounds for each guitar, but so far the DP100 and SD101 play really well together. Thanks for the tips!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:31 pm 

HorrorMetal, you said vocal melodies so hopefully you're forming a power metal band hahaha. That shit is nonexistant in my region but I really wish I could play in one someday (nobody even likes that, let alone want to play it).

Iron1, sounds great! What's your rig and do post some samples soon.

Oshiego's beginning work on our fourth full-length, this time with a special contributor on drums. Quite the asshole though, almost King-sized.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:16 pm 

somefella wrote:
Iron1, sounds great! What's your rig and do post some samples soon.

Line 6 Floor pod through a Blackstar Core 40 then into a Focusrite 2i2 onto my Mac w/Garageband. As for samples, i should have something post-worthy by next weekend. :)

somefella wrote:
Oshiego's beginning work on our fourth full-length, this time with a special contributor on drums. Quite the asshole though, almost King-sized.

I think I may need to cave in and use that same special contributor for some of my stuff too. Can't wait to hear it!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:25 pm 

Iron1 wrote:
I think I may need to cave in and use that same special contributor for some of my stuff too. Can't wait to hear it!

Was that pun intentional? :lol:

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:53 pm 

somefella wrote:
Iron1 wrote:

Was that pun intentional? :lol:

:thumbsup:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:28 pm 

:lol:

all ya gotta do is click yo heels together and I appear blasting.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:44 am 

there's no place like like mississippi.. there's no place like like mississippi.. :)

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:19 am 

Too bad we don't all live in the same town. We'd have enough bands to play our own festival. All with SLK on the beat. LOL

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:05 pm 

hahaaha funny you say that there were a couple of shows were it was 5 or 6 bands and I would be playing in 4-5 of those bands. and none that I set up myself. it was just where they all ended up on the bill via the promoter.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:55 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
hahaaha funny you say that there were a couple of shows were it was 5 or 6 bands and I would be playing in 4-5 of those bands. and none that I set up myself. it was just where they all ended up on the bill via the promoter.

Bet you were one tired dude at the end of that night. LOL.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:28 am 

SLK doesn't get tired, as I saw when we were tracking the second song on the Spawning Vats EP. Blast game strong.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 am 

Dragunov wrote:
SLK doesn't get tired, as I saw when we were tracking the second song on the Spawning Vats EP. Blast game strong.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:17 pm 

Dragunov is correct and thanks for confirming it. back in the day me and the guitarist of one of my bands for warm ups would do basically 30min long no stopping blast session jams. So usually by the end of the night I was amped the fuck up to play more.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:16 am 

I miss those days. Now I'm old. LOL

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:33 pm 

Shit mine have stopped largely 6 years ago. no where really to play, no one to play with that can keep up or commit. Which is why largely I record so much material. I'm basically bored.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:35 pm 

If I lived like a solid hour closer to you, I'd be down there more often for sure. Driving on highway 49 fucking sucks, but I do it for DEATH METAL :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:55 pm 

I know and totally understand that. shit I hate just the drive from GP to OS to go do anything as far as work, build, or jam. I really need to stop buying goddamn amps and start building my shed so at least i can get more recording/jamming done.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:15 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Shit mine have stopped largely 6 years ago. no where really to play, no one to play with that can keep up or commit. Which is why largely I record so much material. I'm basically bored.

I get that. I quit trying to be in an active band back in '98 cause after 15 years of flakes and freaks it just got old. But, I can't stop the metal in my brain from bubbling up like some primordial science experiment gone wrong...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:06 pm 

Oh yea there's no reason to just fully stop, and I do still have a couple of active bands that aren't like super practice every week or anything. so I do still play some live shows but they are far inbetween.

I recorded my black metal song for the challenge, took longer than I expected. I haven't done vocals yet. maybe tmwr or sat.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:28 am 

Back on topic:

I have the beginning of my new song Open Tomb recorded, and the end is re-worked and done, now I just need to figure out how to make the drums work for the middle... then move the whole thing about 16 measures forward to fit the intro and it's ready for vox.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:46 pm 

Sounds cool, post it up once done!

Recording and writing/learning songs for the NEXT Oshiego album already, title and lyrical theme as of yet undecided. Even less guitar heroics on these ones but a more depth and structural complexity, which is decidedly a lot less fun to play but probably more interesting to listen to.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:45 am 

Also popping in to say how much Ernie Ball strings fucking suck and no one should ever use them.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:04 am 

But I just changed my strings... :)

On the topic of endurance drumming, I just released a new album with two 9 minute songs of non-stop drumming-as-fast-as-I-can under melancholic keyboards. Depressive black jazz? Here's the drum video:

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:27 pm 

Just released the first EP for Lock Howl, a kinda goth/post-punk thing I've been working on lately. Got a few splits planned with Hellripper that should all be be released in the not so distant future.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:42 pm 

^goth/post punk, sweet. Imma check that out.

Last night me and the fellas were effing around in the studio. We've been recording an ambient/noise thing, envisioned as a soundtrack to a non-existent 80s cyberpunk movie. It's been pretty fun, and to that end we set up a new pedal board for me to run my synths through. Between a couple reverbs, overdrive, delay, flange and a looper, shit was getting loud and crazy. I could spend hours playing around with patches and pedals making 'beeooOOOOWOWOOOO' and 'PPPPFFhhhfhfhhtthhhfhzzzzz' sounds.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:39 pm 

That's pretty sweet there clogged, glad you did the video.

As far as endurance, playing like that is far easier to me. cause moving around like that keeps me to a degree more rested.

What is more of a drain on me playing is extended single foot blasting, as in when it's 2mins+ nonstop with no rolls basically to break it up. Just a constant stream. Anything with double bass in it I can play practically forever, and like I said where i'm moving all over the kit i'm good and rested on.

sat layed down the first Oshiego track I got and did vocals for a zombie raiders EP.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:22 pm 

I have been more active again lately. I recorded a GG Allin cover (Die When You Die) with my new band during our first practice (backing vocals are getting recorded this week): https://soundcloud.com/glorioususurper/domestic-abuse-die-when-you-die

I also re-recorded one of my punk songs, a 26 second long song called "You're a Fag!", which has nothing to do with gays: https://soundcloud.com/glorioususurper/ ... re-a-fag-1

Aside from that, I have been trying to get my little home studio reorganized.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:40 pm 

mixed 2 Ange De La Mort songs that will be on a split.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:24 am 

SLK, yeah I agree about the endurance stuff: I can play faster and for longer when I'm doing fills like in the vid because you can sneak in bass drum hits with your feet and let your arms rest for one note (tiny amount of time, but does make a difference), unlike doing a constant blast as-fast-as-you-can where every limb is hitting with no time to rest.

Got a couple minutes written of my song for the black metal songwriting challenge. Hoping to get over 10 mins but we'll see.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:17 pm 

Yea you get it then, it's kinda like you almost sorta tense up while doing those extended blasts. or like I said if it's the bomb blasting with double bass... all day long with no breaks is fine with me.

My bm song hit at 8 minutes, haven't decided if there will be an intro or not. going to work on some more material this week.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:24 pm 

You'll like song 3, some parts are fast as fuck and it's an overall blazing speedster. Blasts and d-beat madness throughout.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:47 pm 

Blasturbations is my bag. always.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:56 pm 

so next semester im deciding between taking a beginning piano class and a beginning music production class. I would like to be more knowledgeable in producing music on my own, but i would also like some formal skill in the piano to help with my song writing. any advice?

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:02 pm 

hots_towel wrote:
so next semester im deciding between taking a beginning piano class and a beginning music production class. I would like to be more knowledgeable in producing music on my own, but i would also like some formal skill in the piano to help with my song writing. any advice?

Take the production class. You can find avenues to learn piano far easier.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:35 pm 

Just when I'm about to finish the damn guitars, I've got sick. I'll do it anyway but strength is a bit lacking.

I'm also understanding something; my tendonitis won't allow me to play electric guitars live ever. I can play classic guitar and bass with no problems since my wrist has no movement playing those but tremolo riffing in electric guitar is too damn painful to endure too much - I feel like fucking Demonaz. I will finish the album and (sadly) will probably find a friend to record some sections on the next album. I'm not sure if I'll be able to play drums again either.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:09 pm 

Wow, sorry to hear that dude. If you ever need someone to record electric guitar sections in the future just let me know!

Reminds me of what went down with my vocalist, he used to play guitars in Oshiego but his left hand's ring and pinky suffered from some nerve disorder and he couldn't use them to exert enough strength to fret. He tried to work around it, changing to drop tuning so he could play rhythms with 2 fingers and recruited another guitarist to handle the lead sections. Eventually even that got too taxing and he just switched places with the singer instead.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:28 pm 

These kind of things can turn in huge changes on bands were the main songwriter stops playing some instrument(s). I know the logical thing would be to keep writing the material I like and see what I can play and whatsnot. Thing is that it's frustrating to 'lose' a skill for health issues. I used to play drums really well and now I can't. I don't want to turn the band into an acoustical outfit just because of this but I just wonder how much I'll end playing if this continues (at least I know that bass and classic guitar don't hurt me at all, so I just need to focus on those and get better on them).

You know? I wrote some songs already for the next album and they are way more black metal oriented. I'm sure I'll need assistance on the guitars, so I'll probably contact you when the time comes. Thanks!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 185  Next