* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:31 pm 

Recorded this

https://soundcloud.com/forestfather/gatagatas-song

It's a song I wrote some years ago but never recorded before, so I gave it a shot. I can re-record it and it'll sound better performed but I just like how raw it is. It is, in a way, a bit of the style that will appear on the next FF release.

Also did a bass cover:

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:07 pm 

That band logo.... :drool:

That song doesn't sound that bad to be honest. You certainly know how to play an acoustic guitar. I don't hear any string buzz or any dead notes, like sometimes happens with primarily electric guitar players. As for the song itself, I like it. Very calming, to tell you the truth. Every note being hit just sings, and the little dash of reverb really adds a little "mist" to the mix without being too foggy.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:37 am 

Woah, thanks! That's a song I wrote for my wife, so it's not supposed to be dark or melancholic as the stuff I usually do. There are details to fix if this were to be a pro recording for an official release but I also think the imperfect playing adds a more human feeling to the music.

I recorded this with probably the cheapest Shure mix ever (old and rusty 8700) but it was surprisingly fine to my ears. Definitely better than my B1 behringer condenser mic (which should perform better).

About the Cynic cover, I should redo it.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:47 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Woah, thanks! That's a song I wrote for my wife, so it's not supposed to be dark or melancholic as the stuff I usually do. There are details to fix if this were to be a pro recording for an official release but I also think the imperfect playing adds a more human feeling to the music.

I recorded this with probably the cheapest Shure mix ever (old and rusty 8700) but it was surprisingly fine to my ears. Definitely better than my B1 behringer condenser mic (which should perform better).

About the Cynic cover, I should redo it.

I had one of those too. I called it "At the Mouth of Hell"...

No but seriously, I had an acoustic song for my wife, but I recorded it right when I first started learning to work with acoustic guitars, so it basically sucks. Will probably re-do it though. It's not a bad song.

As for yours, I didn't hear anything that needs to be improved based on what I heard. Sounds very good as-is for a release, unless you're sending it to Roadrunner or something, in which case build yourself a robot and program the guitars into that.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:13 pm 

My band tried out something new for our last practice. Most of our songs start with our singer/writer/multi-instrumentalist bringing a mostly complete demo and then we all figure out our parts, work out what we'd want to add to the song or how we'd perform it live. So for a change we decided to each bring a single idea, a riff or a hook or whatever, and then just jam on it and see if something comes up.

Somewhat to our surprise, every idea came together into a song. Still some things to iron out in each but it was a really good session. We haven't worked with such loose ideas like that in quite a while so it was great for everything to flow so well.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:25 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
My band tried out something new for our last practice. Most of our songs start with our singer/writer/multi-instrumentalist bringing a mostly complete demo and then we all figure out our parts, work out what we'd want to add to the song or how we'd perform it live. So for a change we decided to each bring a single idea, a riff or a hook or whatever, and then just jam on it and see if something comes up.

Somewhat to our surprise, every idea came together into a song. Still some things to iron out in each but it was a really good session. We haven't worked with such loose ideas like that in quite a while so it was great for everything to flow so well.

Good you got something done by doing something new. My band actually writes by the same process as I usually have something written ahead of time or I get a structure written out after we jam on an idea that somebody else brought in. Thankfully I have some pretty decent chemistry with the guitarist we just got on so we may be doing a lot more on the spot writing than before.

Speaking of which, another guitarist left after some drama at a house show we set up last month and the guy we were working in as a rhythm guitarist is now in full time and we'll just keep going as a trio. Fortunately we didn't have to cancel any plans we had coming up and actually got some studio time set up for this October. Hoping we can get our first album done by the end of the year.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:28 am 

Just mixing corpse Arise's full length and Vomitwolve's ep.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:05 am 

Going to set up and restring my bass tomorrow for recording. Just listened to the dual guitar + drums track and I'm liking it a lot already. I feel I played a lot better on this than on the previous album and the overall guitar tone is better too (nicer guitar, more experienced playing).

I found a nice bass tone that sits in very nicely with the rest of the instruments after a few minutes of tweaking . It was tempting to go Torture Division/Hail of Bullets style and drown it in a wash of fuzz and distortion but in the end I opted for a mostly clean sound with some slight overdrive and a mid bump for a bit of growl.

Hopefully we'll be able to release it by the end of this year (if we can think of a goddamn title before that, which seems to be the biggest hurdle).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 pm 

Yea a blower bass tone wouldn't have worked with the style you all play. it would've made it all mushy.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm 

It sounded pretty badass when I was just riffing it out alone, that was fun. But it did sound like ass when played together with the guitars.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:12 pm 

Yea unless you got some dirty nasty guitars following with it, it'll just sound incorrect.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:56 pm 

finally after what seems like the longest time I've gone without recording and really playing I finally sat down wrote and recorded a 8 minute Flittering track for the new full length.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:16 am 

demo of a doom riff i've been working on: https://soundcloud.com/gavin-fell-nichols/doom-riff

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:53 pm 

Recorded another Flittering track. vocalist for 54R came and he did three songs.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:23 pm 

Funeral Age is without a bassist again, so now we are going to 10000% focus on writing material and won't have to worry about taking on any shows that get offered.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:36 pm 

So things with the new guitarist are going pretty well as he's been learning our material pretty well and we even got a couple new songs to try out at our next show. I've also been practicing guitar a lot more myself and actually managed to write a bunch of songs that sound a lot like the Melvins. Debating if I want to start a side project with that material; my bandmates both like the song I showed them but it may be a bit too rhythmic for what we're doing now.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:45 pm 

Yzordderrex's new album is up for streaming

yesterday working on the next Flittering album. I completed another 3 songs.

Dragunov came down to check his new cab I built him and we worked on a song for Spawning Vats. .. it's very awesome.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:42 pm 

It better be awesome with an awesome name like Spawning Vats. :)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:36 pm 

Going for a sorta Grave Upheaval sound but with more discernible riffs.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:45 pm 

CloggedUrethra wrote:
It better be awesome with an awesome name like Spawning Vats. :)

Hopefully people will dig it, haha. Grave Upheaval/Upon the Throne of Apocalypse is definitely a big influence on the tone, but we're going for a riffier approach with a bit of layering ala Immolation. Very excited about progressing with this band.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:29 pm 

Can't wait for the next session

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:50 pm 

I haven't heard of those bands (I'm out of the loop) but it sounds like fun. Did you guys post a song already that I missed?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:49 pm 

No we haven't posted anything. all we have done is track drums and the main guitars. There's still vocals, bass, and secondary layering guitars to do to finish it up.

and shame on you. you have been out of the loop for decades. Upon the throne is an Incantation album title whom have been around since 1989. Immolation has been around since 1988. It's more or less of not being out of the loop for awhile... it's more of never being in it at all of all your life.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:03 pm 

haha yeah, well I do know Immolation and Incantation and have heard a few songs, just haven't followed them (though coincidentally there is an Incantation cd five feet away from me).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:13 pm 

Well when you said you never heard any of those bands I just assumed you knew nothing at that point and was wondering how the hell you came to this board. hahaha

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:21 pm 

yeah I forgot Dragunov mentioned Immolation, my bad... well, looking forward to hearing what you guys are making!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:22 pm 

we are too! hahaha. Thus far it's pretty killer.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:48 am 

@Kveldulfr very impressive! :) Have been working on a new song, which is going to be released next year. I have all the bass parts and lyric sorted out, making a few changes as I go on. I stumbled across a variation of a riff from two other songs of mine. So its kind of a hybrid of these, will record when my drummer is back up this neck of the woods.

How do folk compose their music? I have found a different approach, write down notes on paper before playing. I normally get riffs from playing, but find this is a good alternative. :)

deadallman
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:30 pm 

I play drums in a grindcore band from middle Georgia, USA called Grinchfinger. We have an upcoming split 7" with Violent Gorge (Canada) coming soon.
http://grinchfinger.bandcamp.com
http://facebook.com/grinchfinger

I also play drums in a blurrcore/noisecore band called Scramble Guts ... but we don't have anything recorded yet.
https://www.facebook.com/scrambleguts

Last, and definitely least, I do all drums/noises in a stupid solo project called House Man. Only short compilation tracks recorded so far, but there are plans to do a split in the future.
http://houseman.bandcamp.com

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:42 pm 

Hey, sup dude! I asked your brother about Scramble Guts recently, he said you guys were maybe going to record something soon? I'm anxious to hear that, I know you dudes will deliver the goods.

And everyone, definitely give Grinchfinger a listen, one of the best pure grindcore bands in the South.

Diabolical420
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 pm 

I'm not in a band, but i've been writing my own music for two years now. It's hard for me to find like minded individuals here in Alaska when it comes to (Brutal)Death, Doom, and Djentcore. I mostly incorporate those styles, but sometimes play others. I play guitar and scream. I usually use Deathchord. There's nothing like throaty demon screams. I've recently been emulating the vocals of bands like Dying Fetus, Abominable Putridity, Nox Aurea, and No One Gets Out Alive. I've got rythm guitar down like a seasoned pro, but need work on my soloing.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:15 pm 

Diabolical420 wrote:
I'm not in a band, but i've been writing my own music for two years now. It's hard for me to find like minded individuals here in Alaska when it comes to (Brutal)Death, Doom, and Djentcore. I mostly incorporate those styles, but sometimes play others. I play guitar and scream. I usually use Deathchord. There's nothing like throaty demon screams. I've recently been emulating the vocals of bands like Dying Fetus, Abominable Putridity, Nox Aurea, and No One Gets Out Alive. I've got rythm guitar down like a seasoned pro, but need work on my soloing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq9HIxfVDXA

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 am 

Shredding is well and good(actually not really, to me at least) but I like to do simpler/catchier stuff with good phrasing, repeated melodies and the like. Not sounding like the zillion guys whom I see at work (in a guitar store) every week. To that end, : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfL6aBhnwg

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 pm 

Megrimmtroll wrote:
@Kveldulfr very impressive! :) Have been working on a new song, which is going to be released next year. I have all the bass parts and lyric sorted out, making a few changes as I go on. I stumbled across a variation of a riff from two other songs of mine. So its kind of a hybrid of these, will record when my drummer is back up this neck of the woods.

How do folk compose their music? I have found a different approach, write down notes on paper before playing. I normally get riffs from playing, but find this is a good alternative. :)

Hey, thanks!

I've written music only scoring it with good ol' music sheets. It's also useful to add layers upon the riffs and see how they interact with each other without recording the whole stuff.

I wrote 2 new songs and recorded one of them. Damn, this Ff stuff is getting less and less metal.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:36 am 

Finally got down to bass recording today. 4 out of 9 tracks, boom, next one. WOuld have gone on but we had to pack up and go rehearse. Guitar frets always seem so tiny after playing bass.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:39 am 

I also used an ex-guitarist's Ibanez Iceman (the old one with the big headstock, IC400, not the new ICT700) loaded with Duncan Blackouts. This reminds me why I don't like active pickups in the slightest. Big heavy sound but totally flat with no picking dynamics. Snooze.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:34 pm 

I was wondering how bass tracking was going. glad to hear you flying through it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:14 pm 

Well the first couple of takes were actually quite shitty but we redid that shit. Basically it was in a dark room with the only light from the window getting in my eyes and I couldn't look at my fingerboard at all. Normally I can just estimate where to go, but I'm so used to playing guitar that the bass frets are always alien to me in terms of spacing and I have to think a lot more than usual (most of the time I just rely on instinct and muscle memory to get it right).

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:17 pm 

that's what I normally did for years since I didn't have any light in my shed except a green traffic light aimed at the ceiling. basically enough light to see where you are standing and what you are holding but no details there of.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:29 am 

Fuck yes, 50 minutes of new material demoed! There's still 1 song do to (short instrumental) and I guess I'll be done for this album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 185  Next