Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
opti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:21 pm 

Just finished writing material for what I hope to finish as a demo. Really excited because this is the first time in a long time that I've written something cohesive, and these actually came out as decent songs rather than piles of riffs.

Still have one or two songs left to do, depending on their length and how much I might like them. Now I just have to catch my bassist up, throw down some drums and vocals and it's done. As of right now they're only midi files, lol.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 am 

Of late, I've finally got a guitar-pedal, a Line 6 HD300, out of which I can successfully record material - I'm piecing together crude black-thrash/punk/speed metal style material to get used to the pedal, and hopefully make an EP, while I work on learning how to play more than one guitar track for my other project. I might, finally have the time and commitment to make material.

~Guest 293116
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 pm 

I'm trying to work on a breakdown, where a slapping bass leads. It's for a Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore song.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:25 pm 

I'm making my home studio look more like an opium den.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm 

I'm getting an udu next week or so. Anyone care to recommend a good microphone for drum recording? I guess that whatever works for the bass drum would do good here, is there any recommendable condenser for about a hundred, two hundred bucks?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:01 pm 

Now that school is finally out, I've begun to seriously work on music again. Right now I'm in the process of writing 2 drone/doom songs for an upcoming split tape. And hopefully in the next week or two I will be getting together with a friend to begin writing some death/doom.

Quick question for other musicians, what are some good, free drum programs?

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

infinitenexus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 am 

I went on a month vacation to see my wife (I'm currently stationed overseas) and brought another guitar back with me as well as 2 microphones, so now I can finally record vocals. I have a bunch of songs that just need finishing and I can put out a nice full length album. I just put out an EP like 2 months ago, but that was thrash metal, and I don't want to do thrash anymore, I want to do death/melodic death. So I really want to finish this album and get it out there. I've also been working on a death metal album as a gift for my wife (who is a total metalhead), and the entire album is a loose concept album about her being a serial killer, the songs follow the pathway to another murder. Stalking and hunting the victim, transporting, torturing, murdering, eating, cutting into pieces, disposing, etc. Not the most original idea (a metal album about killing? No way!) But it's all as a gift for her, and she absolutely loves what she's heard so far, so that's good. I started building an Ibanez Iceman out of 2X4s, because I've always wanted one and to prove that you can build a nice guitar out of 2X4s. I have some pictures on my blog (check sig) of the progress so far.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 pm 

infinitenexus wrote:
I went on a month vacation to see my wife (I'm currently stationed overseas) and brought another guitar back with me as well as 2 microphones, so now I can finally record vocals. I have a bunch of songs that just need finishing and I can put out a nice full length album. I just put out an EP like 2 months ago, but that was thrash metal, and I don't want to do thrash anymore, I want to do death/melodic death. So I really want to finish this album and get it out there. I've also been working on a death metal album as a gift for my wife (who is a total metalhead), and the entire album is a loose concept album about her being a serial killer, the songs follow the pathway to another murder. Stalking and hunting the victim, transporting, torturing, murdering, eating, cutting into pieces, disposing, etc. Not the most original idea (a metal album about killing? No way!) But it's all as a gift for her, and she absolutely loves what she's heard so far, so that's good. I started building an Ibanez Iceman out of 2X4s, because I've always wanted one and to prove that you can build a nice guitar out of 2X4s. I have some pictures on my blog (check sig) of the progress so far.

I must say what an awesome idea as a gift.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 am 

Wrote 2 Egyptian-sounding leads. Been writing a bit more lately. It's not much but better than nothing.

Yet I'm still wondering how I came up with this shredded piece of art. It's definitely my best ''work'' yet (wether that says a lot is questionable) but man, I really had some inspiration when I wrote that I suppose. :lol: Maybe I should listen to more records while trying to write things down.

Dubhar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

Ordered my Zoom H4N today, and somebody broke the jack off one of my guitar cables (probably sat on my combo), so now I've gotta play my bass without my effects for a while with my crappy Crate BT50. Looks like I'll be playing guitar for a while, it'll probably help me write a lot of new stuff.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:42 pm 

new interface and mic, playing around with them and figuring out how to use them correctly, will start to write and record for my project again tomorrow or Monday, i will start out with re recording this demo below, will probably re write it a bit, we will see what happens.

http://soundcloud.com/andreperez/blue-devil-raw-2

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:22 pm 

Getting drunk as fuck!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:28 pm 

I've been planning gigs. My doom band's going to open up for Black Magician and Serpent Venom in a few weeks, which should be pretty fun. We might get the gig recorded as well, for a live EP or something... And also I'm starting to plan out a gig in September with my folk metal band. And also I've been trying to write more for said folk metal band, but I seem to be in one of those creative slumps, which is annoying. Still, got three practices with the folk metal band this week, so we should hopefully get a good amount done.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:10 pm 

Today my new wave band released an EP and a music video for our song ‘Leave The Prophets Dead Where They Lie’. It's probably us at our most Depeche Mode-ish, there’s a free download and video at our website if anyone’s interested.

http://www.cygnetsnotswans.com/prophets.htm

Other than that I've just been fucking around with my new computer and software, getting famillar with it.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 pm 

Just got my band a gig on Saturday! And we haven't practiced in 2 months wooh! Hopefully I can actually get in contact with the guys and they can fit it in sometime in their 90 hour work weeks.

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:10 pm 

Me and my guys are potentially gonna be on the Boston Freedom Rally. It'll be easily the largest crowd I've ever played to.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

mcmufffins
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:41 pm 

Working on learning "2 Minutes to Midnight" on guitar. Also practicing Matteo Carcassi's Study No. 7.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:48 pm 

here are some failed instrumental tracks that i abandoned

http://soundcloud.com/sourlows/untitled-wip
http://soundcloud.com/sourlows/untitled-2

trying to write something i want to put vocals to this week.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:04 pm 

Scraping together money for my band's new 3-song single. Will be sure to spam advertistments here of course :)

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 pm 

Just bought a Rode NT2A, Hellige's next demo will have quite a good recording quality for just a bunch of noise.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:47 pm 

Just parted ways with Warbringer, which is an overly long, ridiculous story.

Currently working with some big time dudes now though, on some prog/power/thrash stuff no less. It's going to be pretty fun!

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:15 pm 

Been extremely busy in recording 3 eps. and finishing up a 4th. now it's mix time. and getting all the layouts completed by hopefully all next week/weekend before I leave town again. I'll be back to posting more at that time since I don't have much choice else to do anything else.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 pm 

Trying to write black and death metal. Either my output is getting better or I'm just losing confidence in the finished stuff over time.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:15 am 

Practicing some stuff in bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6nJmf7kHy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBL6D9WFp8

I wanna learn this one badly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SYe9gktEVY

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:33 am 

I've been playing guitar a lot more than I used to, and my brain is starting to do things automatically, as opposed to everything being confusing, which is a great plus. I'm back to religiously practising drums daily, when possible, too, and when the time feels right, I'll start work on some doom metal. I've already made some rough, partial demos of some black/thrash metal tracks to pass the time - I may do something with them, I may not.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm 

Learning a lot of British Steel in preparation for playing with old farts in Judas Priest cover band, Grinder.

Did Ian Hill fall asleep when they recorded this?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:36 am 

Here is one of the things I've been busy with recording/mixing all that.

Porman
Sweek Souvlaki Muncher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:53 pm 

New drummer in the band (Phidion) for a month now. Playing the old songs once more with new members, I never get tired of them anyway.
Tweaking in a sound with a custom made TubeScreamer.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 pm 

I guess it helps if I actually link what I was talking about

http://corpsearise.bandcamp.com

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 pm 

starting a black/thrash project soon, band members to be found soon.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:50 am 

I'm currently writing songs for my new project, Grotesquerye, which is intended as a hybrid of blue collar USPM, 80's arena metal, and black metal. Influences include: Savatage, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Queensryche, 80's solo Ozzy, WASP, Grim Reaper, Manilla Road, Omen, Manowar, Megadeth, Voivod, Morbid Angel, Darkthrone, Celtic Frost, Mayhem, Immortal, and the LLN. The closest thing I would compare it to would be a blackened version of Cauldron/Goathorn.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:23 am 

Well I got kicked out of my band, which I'm okay with because the singer/guitarist was a total control freak. But I am frustrated though because I don't really know where to go next. Sure I could look around and I plan to, but it's really hard to meet decent metal musicians in this area.

In other news I started writing this more soothing, melodic type of song that has a certain melancholy vibe that I hope to turn into a powerful song. Has a little bit of a Pain of Salvation feel but not exactly.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:54 pm 

And here is one of the other things I was busy mixing and throwing the layout together for:

http://mountainofbeard.bandcamp.com/

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:01 pm 

My doom band Atragon played our first gig last night, opening for Serpent Venom and Black Magician. Aside from my right foot pedal breaking ten seconds into our second song (resulting in me having to play a song with a shitload of galloping in it with my left foot) and one of the guitarist's amp cutting out for a while, it went rather well. Next up is tracking drums for the demo on Wednesday.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:35 pm 

What style of doom you're playing? I'm interested and I'd like to hear it, maybe I'll write a review too when the demo will be out.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:41 am 

It's very heavy, fuzzy, groovy stuff. Electric Wizard, Reverend Bizarre, Sleep, and the obvious Sabbath are all big influences. I'll be sure to post a link to the demo when it's done!

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:28 pm 

Recorded the drums for the doom band's demo today, and holy shit they sound awesome. Heavy as a heavy thing. One track's about eight minutes, the other around fifteen. And one of the guitarists is picking up a Hammond organ tomorrow... This is going rather well so far.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:21 am 

Sounds good man! I'm a big fan of these influences.

I'm not a musician but I started an international band with some dudes from my MA facebook group. We're aiming for a Bolt Thrower + Dutch death/doom meets funeral doom sound. I'll include the song I wrote with Zodijackyl for the challenge in it but we're gonna change it to fit the style. The lyrical concept is historical, it's about war mostly. The artwork/logo (I'm not revealing the name of the band and the concept of the artwork) will be done by my young cousin who's a very good artist, I'm excited by this as I'm being really bored recently :(

Lineup:
Me: vocals, lyrics
Necroticism: vocals
Juicebitch : guitars, mixing
Markov : guitars, drums
IX Leviathan : bass, vocals
RageW: guitars, drums, etc

Zodijackyl will contribute what he wants to contribute

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:48 am 

hope it comes out sounding as awesome as you describe.

deathmetalfreak169
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:29 pm 

Just released a record. Mixed/mastered by Chris Clancy (Mutiny Within). You can download it for free here. http://swallowedbyapathy.bandcamp.com

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 185  Next