Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
suprema_occultus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:29 pm 

I feel awfully lazy, but I did just get back from a trip, so maybe that's expected. I am getting ideas about stuff concerning Batsheva and some new projects, so I'm letting that stew. Will hopefully get to record some this weekend.

Got someone possibly doing the bass part on a track, and will hopefully bring more zing to it than I had. Gotta tab out the guitar for them, though, so they know what to follow... been lazy about that too.

Just contacted someone about doing a split EP... actually, it was you, Unlife. And obviously always looking for more, as I love to do anything that'll keep me busy and focused, as well as anything relating to networking with more metal musicians.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 pm 

If you're trying to write a song that centres around a main riff, you can try 'interpreting' the motif of that main riff in several ways, varying up right hand patterns or where/how you play that motif. It's kind of hard to explain like this though, don't know if I'm making sense.

Lord_Lexy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:17 am 

I recently learned to play Iron Maiden's To Tame a Land on the bass. I play fingerstyle, like Steve Harris, and it feels amazing to be able to play one of my favourite songs (albeit at a lower BPM value).

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:32 pm 

I finished recording 3 songs' instrument tracks for a black metal demo (including a Raining Blood cover) All that's left is vocals and lyrics. then, the demo should be complete :D On a very related note, what would be the least expensive way to "transfer" audio from a PC to cassettes?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:56 pm 

practiced with Dragunov today. recorded 2 songs for that.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:34 am 

Recording for the Gloaming album is now mostly complete. I anticipate having everything finished within 2-3 weeks.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm 

anyone want me to try a logo for their project? :P

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:00 pm 

If you're doing it for free, sure!

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:04 pm 

Yeah, I'm just an amateur hobbyist etc :P

Nostril Caverns? I'll give it a try!

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:21 pm 

Ok cool, thanks. :)

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:39 pm 

doktersatan wrote:
anyone want me to try a logo for their project? :P

a logo would be awesome! we're called Gates of Martyr. if you'd wanna do it we could send you a free copy of our demo when its released!

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:00 pm 

if you both give some logo examples you like.. (maybe in PM? dont want to hijack this thread) or I can just wing it :P

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:22 pm 

recorded 2 Ishimura songs today. Vocalist after long last has gotten up to where he can record again and had made meantion about a different project we did cause he was antsy to do more. I said I had idea for this one that have been sorta looming above. I'm pretty excited about it.

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:30 pm 

:) sounds good. Ive been out of the archives forum for a while.. was something serious happening with the vocalist, or just a sore throat?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:47 pm 

a mix of him getting divorced, moving to an entirely different state, becoming a dad, buying a house, and starting a new job.

also noteworthy, bought this last month finally placed it where it'll make an impact

martinsane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:22 am 

bluwarguy wrote:
I finished recording 3 songs' instrument tracks for a black metal demo (including a Raining Blood cover) All that's left is vocals and lyrics. then, the demo should be complete :D On a very related note, what would be the least expensive way to "transfer" audio from a PC to cassettes?

Don't know what you have for gear, but burn a CDR on your computer and then dub the CDR to tape (s) on you home stereo... very cheap and DYI!

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:58 am 

martinsane wrote:
bluwarguy wrote:

Don't know what you have for gear, but burn a CDR on your computer and then dub the CDR to tape (s) on you home stereo... very cheap and DYI!

haha i completely spaced that idea XD thank you lol. lyrics are all finished but vocalist has a sore throat. so much progress only to be halted unexpectedly by this :/

~Guest 337487
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:02 pm 

I'm working on creating my first EP "Collosam" to be released this summer, and a debut album called "Monolithial Gateways" sometime in the spring 2016. Technical GoreGrind/metalcore/Blackened Death Metal is what these will the EP and album will focus genre wise!!!!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 am 

After a long time, I'm back on track. I'll be working on the new Ff tracks and a new non metal project.

Lost my job, so while I'm looking for a new one, I'm installing all the shit I lost on the other laptop. Backup recordings are totally fine and functional.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:40 pm 

well that's a relief.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:08 pm 

Had a great rehearsal today, got to use a Laney Ironheart and that thing crushes every other amp in the studio (blackstar, orange, marshall, bugera). Super organic and heavy without sounding like every other high gain EMG-driven seven string chugga-chug 'metal' amp. With my guitar and hands, anyway haha.

I actually like amps that aren't 'metal' per se, driven to their max with a hot pickup and high volume. This gives the best mix of saturation and clarity to my ears.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:42 pm 

finally finished a logo for the black metal band. and the songs had long since been mixed so here's a youtube vid of a song from the ep.

I'm working on finalizing that layout and the eats aids/ nostril cavern split.

http://youtu.be/mH4ZO4i7qd4

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:09 pm 

I had a lot of time on my hands this weekend, so I recorded a few drum covers for my YouTube channel.

Only uploaded one so far, will release another Wednesday. But here is my cover/improv of Dr. Dre's "Nuthin But a G Thang" :D
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWKTkApO0nE

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:06 pm 

you should've done it shirtless while hanging a J.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:30 pm 

We got two rough final mixes for the new Blacksoul Seraphim album in over the weekend. Just a few more minor tweaks and it'll be ready for release.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:12 am 

somefella wrote:
Had a great rehearsal today, got to use a Laney Ironheart and that thing crushes every other amp in the studio (blackstar, orange, marshall, bugera). Super organic and heavy without sounding like every other high gain EMG-driven seven string chugga-chug 'metal' amp. With my guitar and hands, anyway haha.

I actually like amps that aren't 'metal' per se, driven to their max with a hot pickup and high volume. This gives the best mix of saturation and clarity to my ears.

I've played that one briefly, and it had a really fizzy high end with gainier tones, almost similar to solid-state distortion (think white noise in the top end). I wasn't boosting it or using hot pick-ups at the time, so it might work better with something like that. I played a basswood Ibanez RG - the friend who owns the amp plays a Gibson SG, which did sound much better with it than my guitar. I didn't get to mess around with it much, though, and I've also heard some pretty good tones from it from his recordings, even though he's blatantly tonally challenged :P .

doktersatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:21 pm 

I liked doing the drawings for the 2 people that replied, but they were pretty much both satisfied with the first sketches haha.

Anyone else wants me TRY something? < again, I'm not a pro artist >

some more stuff I did:

https://f1.bcbits.com/img/a2375361630_10.jpg

http://avorym.nl/schets.jpg

http://avorym.nl/epklein.jpg

http://avorym.nl/deathlords.jpg

http://avorym.nl/logo.jpg

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:18 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
somefella wrote:

I've played that one briefly, and it had a really fizzy high end with gainier tones, almost similar to solid-state distortion (think white noise in the top end). I wasn't boosting it or using hot pick-ups at the time, so it might work better with something like that. I played a basswood Ibanez RG - the friend who owns the amp plays a Gibson SG, which did sound much better with it than my guitar. I didn't get to mess around with it much, though, and I've also heard some pretty good tones from it from his recordings, even though he's blatantly tonally challenged :P .

I was using a mahogany/maple Ibanez, the old marty friedman one with an SH-6 and SH-1 (more similar to an SG I suppose). I suppose that amp is a bit more sensitive to what guitar goes through it.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:46 am 

Incidentally, I compared some old recordings of the guitar (back when I had those old pick-ups I tried the Ironheart with), and it has a horribly fizzy, top-heavy tone compared to my current one. SH-6 is quite a screamer though, isn't it? In any case, the mahogany body probably rounds that out better than the fluffy basswood of mine, and the SH-6 is a better sounding pick-up than Ibanez V8 to begin with. I'd love to try the Ironheart with middier pick-ups and a tube screamer though. Even the Invader bridge I'm playing has a slight fizz in the top-end in most setups that bothers me, unless I have a tube screamer rounding it off.

I'm not into boomy, muddy tones at all, though - high mids is where it's at!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 am 

SH-6 has a bass/mid/treble of 5/8/9 compared to the Invader's 7/8/4. A lot of high mids but IMO it works best in mahogany where the middiness of the wood rounds out some of the excess treble (that's why the JB works so wonderfully in Les Pauls, the gigantic mahogany body).

Basswood supposedly has a slight top end fizz (in light bodied guitars like RGs, I imagine the wood matters less) and in my old RG321 a JB didn't work super well. Imagine the SH-6 to be a slightly more aggressive JB with a tighter bottom end because of the ceramic magnet.

I like the Invader's very aggressive character but overall the SH-6 IMO is a better option for both live and recording. You don't need ultra hot pickups when using a high gain amp anyway.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:19 pm 

Actually, despite being ridiculously hot, the sweet spot for Invader isn't an extremely gainy tone at all. It loses clarity very quickly with lots of preamp gain. It's probably perfect for a heavy modern rock tone through a clean-boosted Rectifier, or Orangey doom metal tones. It serves my purposes excellently, though, because of its warm mids and relative lack of high end.

As far as I know, basswood is fairly neutral as a tonewood. A dark pick-up will sound dark (but balancedly so) and a bright one will scream. I've used two different pick-ups in the basswood RG, which were tonally very opposite. With any setup, the RG seems to have rather a hollow tone.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm 

Uploaded my "metal" drum cover of "Shots" by Lil Jon last night :D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-n0J7GuHn4

I've been working on this for a couple of years, and pretty proud of the outcome! The blast beat in the chorus was a bit rough since I had been drumming for a few hours already, prior to recording this, but I enjoy it :) . I think my favorite part was the breakdown I threw in :lol:

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:46 am 

I got back in town today and after taking care of a few things when to my shed and wrote and recorded a new Ishimura track.

got some plans to head there in the morning to write some more, and then work on a couple of other things I've been wanting to do.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:49 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Actually, despite being ridiculously hot, the sweet spot for Invader isn't an extremely gainy tone at all. It loses clarity very quickly with lots of preamp gain. It's probably perfect for a heavy modern rock tone through a clean-boosted Rectifier, or Orangey doom metal tones. It serves my purposes excellently, though, because of its warm mids and relative lack of high end.

As far as I know, basswood is fairly neutral as a tonewood. A dark pick-up will sound dark (but balancedly so) and a bright one will scream. I've used two different pick-ups in the basswood RG, which were tonally very opposite. With any setup, the RG seems to have rather a hollow tone.

That's true, I think the only band I know who use it for ultra high gain stuff is Nile.

Basswood is indeed very neutral compared to most other options but has a slight top end fizz. I love the feel of RGs but ultimately most combinations of pickups/amps never did it for me, soundwise. I had 2 in the past, one with EMG 81/85 and another with a JB and Tesla. The latter was fine for shreddy stuff but lacked balls when it came to tracking death metal for Oshiego (I actually tried but even after 4 layers I didn't think it made the cut).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:37 am 

It really does sound like Nile if scooped.

Tone definitely isn't one of basswood RG's strengths. It's versatile enough, but it doesn't have a lot of charm. I think someone who does like EMGs and such would get the most out of it.

Deathroll92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:49 am 

Actually I'm trying to write some new stuff for Atavisma. It's really frustrating because I have the intros for three songs but afterwards I just can't find fiiting riffs for the rest of it. I try to jam with a drum machine and I always end up finding other riffs than what I had done before and it freaks me out.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:10 am 

Don't think of the intro as an intro then. Just build on it with similar riffs or play the motif in a different manner, etc.

I'm in the "EMGs sound the same through all setups" camp, Ilwhyan, haha. The uniform tight response and processed, sharp midrange. Lots of players get good tones with them, just not for me.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:47 pm 

Got a Gibson Victory MVX the other day, dream guitar for me. Needs some work under the hood, notably a couple pots need replacing, but while I'm in there I'm thinking about changing two of the pickups out (neck and middle position, middle right now is a stacked humbucker). I'm thinking about putting a Dirty Fingers or a PAF-style pickup in there.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:13 pm 

Things have been a little quiet with Spirit Division but we're still getting a decent amount done. Still waiting for the album artwork to be finished but we're writing new stuff and have our first show in five months this March. Figures it's in a town about an hour and a half from here; no one wants us in Indianapolis it seems. :P

Also jammed on some acoustic stuff with Spirit Division's original guitarist last night. Played through some acoustic versions of the old songs and put together a new song that reminds me of a singer-songwriter version of Opeth. Kinda hoping that'll end up being a thing but we'll see what happens.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:34 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm working on finalizing that layout and the eats aids/ nostril cavern split.

Excellent! Here's a logo if you want it, or if not then that's cool too.

And thanks again doktersatan, it's great when someone sends me artwork to use out of the blue. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 185  Next