Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:29 pm 

Very nice!

recorded drums for another Osheigo track. now to see what I might change before the final take of it. Going to start working on forestfather this week and I dicked around for awhile on some material that'll finally be a Filtheater fulllength.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:39 pm 

Can't wait to get my ears on that new Oshiego!

Half of song #4 done. Should have it finished by next week, then one left.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:44 pm 

It's going to be a beast.

my Peavey Butcher just showed up in the mail.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:34 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
It's going to be a beast.

I bet!

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
my Peavey Butcher just showed up in the mail.

I had one of those before I got my JCM900. Most frustrating amp I've ever owned. About 33% of the time, it sounded like a portal open to the gates of hell, another 33% of the time it sounded like a good, generic tube amp and the remaining 33% of the time it sounded so bad it made me want to light it on fire with napalm and stomp it out with a piledriver.

Hopefully, your mileage varies. LOL

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:24 pm 

Shit that's odd I pulled it out and immediately was thrilled to death with it.

hell the JCM900 I've only tried my friend's and I thought it was 100% of the time sounding like shit.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:24 pm 

Yeah, my Butcher roared on day one. Played it for hours cause it sounded so awesome I didn't want to stop. Then, day two, I spent 20 minutes knob-fiddling trying to get back to that sound I'd had day one and never got there. Day three, roared again with about 30 seconds of fiddling. Day 4, utter crap. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:27 am 

Live Oshiego show might be coming up. After watching Machine Head yesterday, I'm super inspired to make it a beastly one.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:29 pm 

honestly that kinda sounds like there was something wrong with that particular head. everyone else I know who has butchers all love them.

make the show count! sell some albums!

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:02 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
honestly that kinda sounds like there was something wrong with that particular head. everyone else I know who has butchers all love them.

I've had a few people suggest it had a bad tube and/or wiring to a tube.

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

make the show count! sell some albums!

Play a lot of shows, sell a lot of albums, then come here on tour so we can see ya.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:06 pm 

Yea because that's not natural for any tube amp to be that shifty.

tracked 2 Yzordderrex songs today. and tracked one yesterday. This album is coming together much quicker than I expected. also double tracking with duel Sunn Enforcers... a treat treat.

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:01 am 

Yeah, it was super frustrating. We held off recording the 2nd Scab demo for 3 days while I tried to get it dialed in. I remember calling the drummer and being like "Get over here NOW the amp is raging today!" and we laid skeleton track, then all the guitar tracks for that demo in the next 12 hours. LOL.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:38 pm 

hahah that would be so painful to deal with. I'd have to go with something else.

recorded another yzordderrex song. got 3 more for tmwr.

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:55 am 

Played Binghamton to a great reception yesterday even though our guitarist was really quiet (amp troubles). People said we sounded like Black Witchery and Morbid Angel which is what we are trying to go for. We also put our EP for free download or if you want a CD you can get it now. Think we are going to try and record some new material soon, its a lot more black metal then the older stuff.

Hallucination Realized. Real grind shit

Last edited by ohfuck on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:47 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
hahah that would be so painful to deal with. I'd have to go with something else.

That's why I swapped it for my Marshall.

Love my Blackstar, sounds exactly the same every time I turn it on. Wish I had the ability to get a Blackstar stack and try that.

Back on topic: four out of five songs written for my demo. One left and it's gonna be the toughest 'cause it's gonna be the fastest and most intricate... Then, finally on to vocals for all five of them.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:09 pm 

sweet deal. so far I've had the butcher for 2 weeks now... something like that.. and jammed on it a couple dozen times... exact same every time.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:15 pm 

Oh yea sat recorded last 2 songs for the new Yzordderrex album. probably be the most dirty sounding Yzord album I've done.

Tweaked my settings and did another Yzord song that's going to be on a comp.

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:11 pm 

New Human Dissention stuff being written to be recorded soon. I've been listening to a lot of Archgoat so I think it's going to be GR8.

insectoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:05 am 

mixed another song for my solo record. https://soundcloud.com/q-p-10/millenium-way

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:56 am 

Song five written - now gotta get the mix down, tweak some things here and there and then the screams and growls begin...

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:46 am 

Spent today recording, one of those days when a relatively easy piece takes a bit longer to nail. Psyched for this next album's guitar sound, massive and gruesome fosho. My lead playing has improved quite a bit since the last release too, so I'm looking forward to throw those down when the time comes as well.

I also learned an acoustic song for the first time in years because my lady friend wanted to sing Full Moon Sway from the Beck animated series. All I got out of that was learning a new kind of diminished sus whateverthefuck chord.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 am 

I wrote half of a potential new song. It's more traditional black metal oriented but I like the riffs a lot.

I'm also waiting for the rest of the FF guys to finish their parts, so we can mix/master the album.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:46 pm 

I'm out of town working I didn't manage to get shit down like I hoped but I don't think I'm coming up the following 2 weeks so that's perfect time for me

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:48 pm 

Nice!

I wrote another long section for the same song. It's turning into an interesting track; there's a folky section that sounds quite cool! Played in electric guitar with tremolo picking reminds me a bit of Windir.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:07 pm 

Man it's so fucking hard to find a decent death metal drummer around here.
Auditioned a drummer tonight. To me it feels like quite a step back but the other bandmembers said to give him a chance. He seemed a bit nervous so we'll see if it gets better. But I'm almost at the point where I consider using a drum machine.

It gets a bit frustrating when you're 3 years in a band. Have plenty of idea's but haven't recorded anything and haven't even played live yet.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:51 pm 

You should just record with programmed drums and have this average drummer play it live. This way your recordings are not delayed by his lack of progress and he can focus on playing the songs live (admittedly easier than recording them).

ohfuck
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:58 pm 

Am I the only one who refuses to play with other people I am not friends with? I would never "audition" with members cause I feel that opens the floodgates to shitty people who can't commit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:27 pm 

I started a band with people I was barely acquainted with, and we grew up to be closest friends. The band is just something we do together nowadays. Recruiting based on personal chemistry is a very good strategy, though. Especially if you're young and not completely talentless people, you can develop your skills together as your bonds grow stronger and gradually become more committed. Our bassist for 5 years only joined to help us record some shitty demo, and he wasn't even too keen on our songs.

insectoid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:43 am 

I've been in several bands. One of them got quite successful in the 90ties, but I think I reach my creative peak when working alone. I have a lot of friends who are great musicians, but I ended up doing everything myself as over the years any form of collaboration turned out to be a really slow process. A couple of years ago I thought "if you want things done, do them by yourself". I started my solo project 2 and had to learn a lot about all instruments, recording, mixing, etc. Doing the job of 6-7 people is a time consuming task but in my case, having full control means the end result is exactly what I want. At first i thought the lack of band synergy will cut the motivation. I was struggling with the lack of group brainstorming I got used to when working in a band situation in the past. Then I realized I can emulate that in my head by managing the creative process through time. I started punishing long distance running training on the nearby hills thinking about the concepts for each song, planned out all compositions before pre-production. Stimulating the brain through sports helped a lot. Once I had it all planned I started recording. It took 2-3 months to record and 2 years to mix, but finally I am happy about the sound and the album is almost ready. I am probably going to take 2 years break from music making. Focus on running and raise my kids.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am 

somefella wrote:
You should just record with programmed drums and have this average drummer play it live. This way your recordings are not delayed by his lack of progress and he can focus on playing the songs live (admittedly easier than recording them).

Yeah, maybe we should something like this. Record some demo songs with a drum computer. A friend who knows how that stuff works already offered to help out with that. Even if we don't go on with this drummer, if we have some solid material I think it might be easier to get other and more experienced drummers interested.

And yes, I wish I could drum. I want to learn it some day, but I don't have the money for that and more important, the space. I also find it appealing to work alone. But it really clicks with the bassist and singer. Good chemistry going on. So this works great, given that we find a drummer who is on the same line and can play what works with this band. I don't want to simplify or change our style. We now play what me, the singer and the bassist like and want to play. And that doesn't mean constant blasting madness. But at least some basic, slower blasts and some d-beats I'd like.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 pm 

You really should. Ideas not committed to record are basically worthless to anyone. Even a basic demo will work as a calling card, and could actually help the drummer situation (either someone likes the songs and wants to play in the band, or someone who agrees to session for live shows can at least have a referral to learn songs from rather than hours and hours of rehearsal that he/she might just forget while driving home).

EDIT: For example, while I play bass on all Oshiego songs for the last 2 albums, it's been very easy to recruit a bassist (who in the most recent case doesn't even play death metal) to play live. Just send him the songs, he learns them, I spend a couple of minutes to correct any minor mistakes he might have made, and boom we're ready to go with no hassle.

Megrimmtroll
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:56 am 

Been working on some new music had written some earlier this year, it was okay at the time. Of writing it, but after a period of time. It no longer made sense,
I managed to salvage one section, that still was alright. Ended up doing a complete overhaul and rewrite, and played at a more slower tempo.
It is still very much in the development stage, but its kinda sorta getting there.
Also have bought a Behringer bass pedal, which should give me more clout. And depth to overall sound

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:57 pm 

made it back in town this morning. I'll be in town for 3 days before i head back out of town. I don't know what I'm going to get done but I got new gear to use at least.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm 

Almost finished the first movement of my first piece for choir which will be with electronics. I have the rest of the structure planned out and quite a bit of the electronics programmed already. Time to start making the first movement's score look prettier before sending it to the choir and continuing working on the second movement.

Also studied some Schoenbergian harmony and updated a few software things for mixing.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:40 pm 

I did this since I couldn't get some other material done and tight

https://youtu.be/W3WbkAD5lqs

Iron1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:34 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Dig it. Got a mixed version of the whole song?

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:50 am 

Yesterday we practiced again with the drummer. Was a lot better but I'm still not really convinced yet. It also seems a bit like he is somewhat insecure and nervous. But we also have an other drummer who wants to try out. So we just told him that and that we want to see what our options are. We haven't looked very intensive for a drummer yet.

The drummer that's coming next sunday is one of the best drummers around here. So I think it's more the question if he thinks we are good enough to play with him haha. But our singer has been in a band with him a while back and he wasn't really into his personality. But we'll see how it turns out. Things may have changed over the years.

Not many death metal musicians around here.... We've also been looking for an extra guitarist, but that also seems impossible within this genre around here.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:28 pm 

The last days have brought some inspiration for new tracks in a more traditional black metal way so today I'll record some acoustic guitars for new songs.

The album we're working at the moment was totally arranged and mostly written in 10 days; a couple of numbers were old tracks that I slightly adapted to the current sound but most of it was new material that came to me all at once.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 pm 

Iron1 wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Dig it. Got a mixed version of the whole song?

no not yet. I only recorded it that sat. I haven't even laid vocals yet. I figured once I had enough material for a release i'd mix it all at once.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:32 am 

A friend got me to play bass for his new band which is a Warhammer 40K themed blackened/crust/whatever thing. Pretty excited if only for the lyrical content and the fact that I can use a cool sounding pseudonym to get with the program (Davin Thule, Incorruptible Dreadnought, Imperium 2nd Chapter, Blood Ravens.)

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:54 am 

So they do bolt thrower covers?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171 ... 185  Next