Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:53 pm 

I'm willing to make a cover for the demo tape of my starting project. I'm sure some of you have released a demo before. Which program, or how have you designed such covers? Thanks in advance :) .
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 am 

If it's a black metal, steal a picture of a forest off Wikipedia.

If it's death metal, photograph your friend (if you have one) lying on the ground with ground beef splattered on him so it looks like a bloody scene.

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:10 am 

people still make tapes? why not put your demo on CD? i think more people have CD players than they do tape decks

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:42 am 

Uh, yes. Tapes are still thriving in the underground metal scene, specifically the black metal scene. Lots of metalheads have tape players. While it would be a wise descision to put a demo on CD as well as tape, tape is still a valid format.

Since no one here has made a helpful reply, I'll try to. Before printing the picture, just make the boundary for the tape, and print and resize untill it fits on a cassette, then start printing it with the pic and you're set. Sorry if I'm being vauge. Good luck!

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:18 am 

theheinouskilling667 wrote:
Uh, yes. Tapes are still thriving in the underground metal scene, specifically the black metal scene. Lots of metalheads have tape players. While it would be a wise descision to put a demo on CD as well as tape, tape is still a valid format.

Since no one here has made a helpful reply, I'll try to. Before printing the picture, just make the boundary for the tape, and print and resize untill it fits on a cassette, then start printing it with the pic and you're set. Sorry if I'm being vauge. Good luck!

Thanks for the only serious reply until now. I've thought of that way too, but it seems like a bit a waste of time. If I could find a tape template or such I could fit pictures etc. on that and then print it, I think that would save a lot of time. Either way, I'll propably end up using the idea you suggested.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:09 pm 

Some downloadable templates here:
http://www.neato.com/TemplatesOther.aspx

and here:
http://www.crystalclearcds.com/artspecs ... ssette.php

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:49 am 

korgull wrote:

Thanks mate. With what program to I open the files of the second site?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:35 pm 

If you have Illustrator or Photoshop, that would probably be ideal and the files will automatically open using one of those programs when you click on them. I'm guessing you don't have those programs though....

I'm using an Apple computer, so I'm not really sure if you can open EPS files in a program like Paint ... if not, maybe try converting it to a PDF and then opening it. I was able to convert it to a PDF simply by right-clicking and telling it to open using "Preview" ...I forget what the comparable function/program in Windows is called.

There are probably other free art programs that will open it too. If all else fails, I'd simply use the dimensions that are shown on the template to make your own template in Paint or whatever program you have that allows you to draw and combine photos and text.

You could also try printing out all of the different pieces you need to make your cover, cut them apart and glue onto a paper (use crop marks to define the overall size and areas of the J-card) and then scan the whole thing back into the computer for printing.
Before I had a computer I made a cassette insert by using a photocopier and cut & paste method.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.