Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:26 pm 

Hi, I have been playing guitar for almost 1 years and I dont have a real amp so I use amplitube metal. I still have problem with creating a good guitar tone and after 1 year of work on it, I still have a shitty guitar tone and that's pissing me off. I was making a new song and start recording stuff until I stopped all because I realised that my guitar tone was really awfull and sound like shit. So, can you listen to this track and tell me what's wrong with this tone and how can I make it more thick and precise and less noisy. Dont pay attention to the song itself please.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ge0ojqjqe ... arsmp3.mp3

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:02 pm 

well, amplitube... it's hard to make really STRONG tone with it... you can try to use less distortion and more mids... or maybe... what kind of tone youre looking for?

Scrabsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:05 pm 

C'mon the guitar tone's not that bad. I mean sure, it's a tiny bit weak, but I was expecting something unbearable. I wouldn't really bat an eye at this tone if I heard it on a demo or something. Best way to thicken your tone is probably to get a real amp.

NecroFile
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:47 pm 

Maybe try something weird like running two instances of amplitube, with slightly different settings. There are other amp sims available on the internet like SoloC and Redskull, maybe one of those will work out better for you.

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:51 pm 

thats actually not a bad sound, just sounds like you used different tracks, thus making some riffs different levels. I find the plug-ins with Logic work well Guitar amp pro i think its called. VST's arnt going to give you the same sound as micing a nice amp with a SM57.

alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:35 am 

Sadr_mordvig wrote:
well, amplitube... it's hard to make really STRONG tone with it... you can try to use less distortion and more mids... or maybe... what kind of tone youre looking for?

Well, Im tune in drop A so Im looking for a tone like Nile Annihilation of the Wicked or TWTGD (last one) but I think it maybe unreachable with Amplitube Metal...

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:27 am 

look into grabbing BBE's Tubescreamers Secret VST, as well as the following

LePou's SoloC
LePou's Le456
Nick Crow's 7170
Nick Crow's 8505
Onqel's TSE x30

then get keFir or Voxengo Boogex

and download this file

Use this signal chain:

TSS -> <amp sim, try them all and see what one you like best> -> Voxengo Boogex/keFIR (load one of the wav files in there, I prefer s-preshigh) -> use an EQ to taste if it's necessary.

Just experiment with those.

alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 pm 

Ok Ill try it, thanks a lot!

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:51 pm 

Guitar Rig is the way to go, you just have to mess with your settings for a while.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:22 pm 

SymphonyXFan wrote:
Guitar Rig is the way to go, you just have to mess with your settings for a while.

Guitar Rig is quite possibly the worst digital processor out there for any sort of tones with gain. For cleans it's decent, but the distorted tones are absolutely terrible.

I would advise against Guitar Rig completely for metal. Stick with any of the free amp sims available if you're going to go with modeling and not micing a real amp.

mattp used 8505 live and from what I remember, people at the show said that it sounded just like he had a real amp miced up. Go figure.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.