Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Celtickrieg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:31 am 

What is best equipment to record raw black metal with.
For instance:

Horna first demo
Satanic Warmaster first demo bloody ritual
Krieg demo
Pest demos
Early Mayhem demos

You get the idea.... hopefulys

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:20 am 

Fuckin A, man.

~Guest 153662
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:59 am 

I would say early Mayhem and Darkthrone because the essence of these bands are unrivaled; much like Blasphemy however, that's alittle too cavernous :P

SchinderHNS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:50 am 

A 4-line-tape-recorder with cheap mic in the middle of your rehearsalroom. Don't care about the instrumentbrands.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:19 pm 

An analog 4-track recorder and whaever microphones you can find or want to use. Get a few microphones and a mixer if you want to be able to hear more than half of your drums.

SchinderHNS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:39 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
An analog 4-track recorder and whaever microphones you can find or want to use. Get a few microphones and a mixer if you want to be able to hear more than half of your drums.

Ja, what I said...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:39 pm 

SchinderHNS wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Ja, what I said...

Pretty much the same equipment, but using a single mic for the whole band isn't ideal, you have four tracks for a reason. Having more than one microphone to record drums makes it possible to hear all of the drums, and the mixer prevents an awful imbalance in them.
You can have a rough/raw sound using cheap gear and maintain audibility between instruments - if you are aiming to copy the poor production of others without effort, you are going to sound like shit.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:42 pm 

well, you can use anything works, but using analog gear is wise - digital ones just lack something ... so - use cheap mics and tape recorder and youre there... for black, you wont need much effects... maybe some reverb on vocals - dont compress drums too much, and dont let bass to be too present

anticimex
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:48 am 

SchinderHNS wrote:
A 4-line-tape-recorder with cheap mic in the middle of your rehearsalroom. Don't care about the instrumentbrands.

I use a 8-track tape recorder sometimes (buy mostly for hc-punk) and I am actually very careful how I use my microphones and get a very decent result (not studio good, not shitty noise).

However a bad recorded analoge recording is always better than a digital bad recording. Always, even with a shitty mono-taper...

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:43 am 

If you're searching for equipment so you deliberately sound shit then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Those bands just recorded with what they had and, probably much to the their surprise, people appreciated it. I mean seriously, if you're not finding the irony in "What is the best equipment to record raw black metal with" then you should consider... I don't know, shitting in the woods or something.

nex666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:14 am 

Bezerko wrote:
If you're searching for equipment so you deliberately sound shit then YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Those bands just recorded with what they had and, probably much to the their surprise, people appreciated it. I mean seriously, if you're not finding the irony in "What is the best equipment to record raw black metal with" then you should consider... I don't know, shitting in the woods or something.

They did it to be anti death metal, anti commercial florida/swedish sound.

So it still does kind of make sense to not use loads of production.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:31 am 

nex666 wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

They did it to be anti death metal, anti commercial florida/swedish sound.

So it still does kind of make sense to not use loads of production.

I was thinking more Varg, you see. My point still stands however haha.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:09 pm 

varg recorded in studio actually... what he used was his guitar :-D

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:00 pm 

Here are four steps to recording some raw black metal.

1. Get a computer microphone and Audacity.
2. Put on "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas".
3. Point the microphone at the speakers.
4. Give your new song a different title.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 pm 

Bezerko wrote:

Unrefined/amateur production can create an atmosphere that is desirable, and if you know absolutely nothing about recording, you might not know to ask the right questions. Despite the prevalence of great digital recording equipment, simple old analog stuff is very easy to use, and some music comes out of that well. Lowery quality analog gear provides an interesting roughness - much better than the roughness that is often achieved by improperly using equipment that is capable of making great recordings.
Most importantly, the "bad" quality of bad analog recordings sounds a lot better than bad digital recordings - there is something about terrible thin guitar tones that sound like buzzing that I hear from a lot of home PC recordings, and perhaps some low budget musicians tried recording their black metal with a cheap microphone on their PC and thought it sounded terrible, thus why they ask about gear.

My favorite cheap recording tip - most headphones can also serve as microphones! I once recorded a demo with two pairs of cheap PC headphones split in half - one each duct taped on the front of each guitar amp, one for the bass amp, and one for vocals. Two real microphones were used on the drums, and the recording came out as well as I could have hoped for - harsh, but all of the instruments were audible and the volume levels on each were balanced enough that we could hear what was going on.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:52 am 

how do you exactly make microphone from them??

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:10 am 

Sadr_mordvig wrote:
how do you exactly make microphone from them??

The electroacoustic transducer works both ways (some of them at least), an electrical current through a magnetic coil can vibrate the membrane that produces a sound. Mechanically vibrating this membrane with the sound waves from your voice is effectively using it as a microphone, though a fairly crude one.
I am not explaining it very well, but they are both electroacoustic transducers that are similarly structured.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transducer

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:58 am 

Note that doing that however generally produces a very week signal - you'll need to make it louder after recording!

Well, that was my headphone recording experience at least.

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:02 am 

i mean, what do you have to do... is it possible to just plug it in mic hole? i mean, i dont know if the signal can go the other way...

CanNedbRiskIt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:58 pm 

As far as equalization, use whatever you have on your recording interface? If your looking for one for your guitar, Dan Electro Fish n Chips are cheap.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:15 pm 

Sadr_mordvig wrote:
i mean, what do you have to do... is it possible to just plug it in mic hole? i mean, i dont know if the signal can go the other way...

Yep, straight into the mic input thingo, and yes it does go both ways (though I'm not sure if it does in all instances, my knowledge on the subject is very poor).

Sadr_mordvig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:24 pm 

thanks... i alreadyhave done some research on it... gonna try it next time :)

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:05 pm 

Just use an answerphone.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.