Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:32 pm 

Hi everyone,

Well, about a year ago, I decided I wanted to learn how to play guitar, but after a few days, I got bored just trying to memorize the chords by strumming them over and over again.

About 6 days ago, I decided to try again. Well, I have decided that I am going to learn songs with just a few basic chords in order to learn them. Can anyone tell me a few? Thanks a lot!

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm 

First off, learn all your scales. It will help you immensely more than just learning easy songs. Learn how to alternate pick and economy pick, and then come back and ask for songs.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 pm 

Okay, thanks for the tip. Could you also give me some songs to learn once I do learn the scales?

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm 

Hell Is Home-Judas Priest
Sweet Child O Mine-Guns N Roses (not metal, I know, but a nice string skipping exercise)
Enter Sandman, or for that matter, just about any song by Metallica.

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:11 am 

Do you have a particular style of music you would like song recommendations for or just easy songs in general?

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:53 am 

His name IS SymphonyXFan after all so...

thejestersgate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:45 am 

Eagles songs on acoustic are pretty easy, basic open chord stuff. As far as metal goes, Metallica's cd master of puppets is a good place to begin working on your right hand skill.

DevilTheory
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:27 am 

SymphonyXFan wrote:
First off, learn all your scales. It will help you immensely more than just learning easy songs. Learn how to alternate pick and economy pick, and then come back and ask for songs.

I have to disagree with this. Especially if you're just starting to learn. Most people when starting to play guitar just wanna play their favorite songs. Learning scales and shit will just probably bore you and make you wanna quit. Why jump into something that's too hard straight away? I know when I first looked at a few Paul Gilbert licks or whatever I was like 'How on earth can I play this?' (Well I still am like that with some of his stuff, aha.)

I can't recommend any songs, but just pick some of your favorite songs to learn and learn a small section or something out of it. And practice them slow and build up speed. Even if the song is too hard for your ability (But not crazy too hard). Also try learn some of the basic techniques as well. Like down picking (Must have if you wanna play metal), palm muting, hammer ons and pull offs. And practice bending in tune and vibrato. Those things probably won't come well until later on but it's what separates the average players from the awesome ones.

After you feel comfortable playing some songs, THEN start learning scales and patterns to build speed.

Shorgorath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:21 am 

or he could do both. i like to split practice time in half. half of it warming up and doing exercises and the other half playing songs or riffs that use the techniques i learned

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40 am 

SymphonyXFan wrote:
Hell Is Home-Judas Priest
Sweet Child O Mine-Guns N Roses (not metal, I know, but a nice string skipping exercise)
Enter Sandman, or for that matter, just about any song by Metallica.

Yep. Master of puppets, frayed ends, dyer's eve.. extremely simple! :roll:

Seriously though the rhythm part of For Whom the Bell Tolls is the first thing I ever learnt. Very simple, sounds cool and is fun to play. Hit that up.

If you like the Black Album and Megadeth's take on that I'd recommend them- rhythm isn't super hard, fun to play, melodic and enjoyable.

Also a lot of doom metal- black sabbath, candlemass, My Dying Bride.. plenty of fun to play along to, and all at a beginner-friendly tempo.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

FenrirFangs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:02 pm 

Apteronotus wrote:
Do you have a particular style of music you would like song recommendations for or just easy songs in general?

Easy songs in general. Any at all. Any genre of music!

And thanks for the recs everyone!

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.