Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Werewolfe88
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:52 am 

My friend was wondering and he said he wants to do a few demos or some full lengths but on cassette tapes, how exactly does he do this. What we need to know is how he records it, and where to get the inlay and whatnot.

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 am 

Record in mono into a boombox inside a metal trashcan

tnythral
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:20 am 

good idea, but the standard microphone inside a laptop is enough

DemonofDarkness
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:26 am 

tnythral wrote:
good idea, but the standard microphone inside a laptop is enough

That's right .. I record that way

Parasiticus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:52 am 

I always thought there were no dumb questions but apparently I was wrong. DO SOME RESEARCH. If you have a question about a specific piece of gear or recording technique please ask and I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful responses, but you might as well ask a doctor: how do I heal sick people?

My "serious" answer to your question: don't make any more basement recordings of shitty black metal there is already way too much in the world.
Download Parasiticus_The Transient Nature of What We Build 192kpbs.mp3

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:00 pm 

Parasiticus wrote:
don't make any more basement recordings of shitty black metal there is already way too much in the world.

This. You won't accomplish anything being like other bands, and honestly, I doubt the opinions are your own. You probably just read something Nocturno Culto wrote and were like, "YEAH HE'S ALL SMART AND KVLT!"

No one will appreciate you if you sound like a Darkthrone or Xasthur ripoff. Be original and get good recordings where you can hear more than the ride cymbal and the gain produced by shitty computer microphones and cheap guitar amps and pedals. Spend money. It's worth it.

And if you can't afford it then get a job, save some money, and spend that time refining your songs into purposeful, quality compositions instead of pointless rehashed shit.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm 

1) Use an electronic drum set, record the MIDI signal, and then use Superior 2.0 for the drum sounds. Some minor processing will get you a decent sound, and it'll be plenty raw for black metal.

2) Plug direct into your interface, use TSS > 8505 > Voxengo Boogex. This will get your guitar tone.

3) Record a bass guitar and then turn the bass all the way down.

4) Record vocals with the cheapest mic you can find. Bathe the vocals in reverb and compression.

This is how that sounds: http://www.myspace.com/imperorr

Eligosianblasphemy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:30 pm 

mattp wrote:

I laughed at this.

masterofordure
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:32 pm 

http://www.myspace.com/possessedbydarkness

Prominence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:48 pm 

Fuck all of you. The correct answer is with whatever you have. Whatever's available to you, regardless of how low or hi - fi it is. People who use intentionally shitty equipment (eg. microphones inside rats, if that rings any bells) are just as gay as the people who think they need the crispest most commercial sound possible. If a laptop mic is all you have, then use it as best as you can. If a few shitty microphones is all you have, use them as best as you can. It's VERY possible to get a raw, aggressive tone with professional equipment. Bands such as Goatwar accomplished this.

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:29 pm 

Prominence wrote:
Fuck all of you. The correct answer is with whatever you have. Whatever's available to you, regardless of how low or hi - fi it is. People who use intentionally shitty equipment (eg. microphones inside rats, if that rings any bells) are just as gay as the people who think they need the crispest most commercial sound possible. If a laptop mic is all you have, then use it as best as you can. If a few shitty microphones is all you have, use them as best as you can. It's VERY possible to get a raw, aggressive tone with professional equipment. Bands such as Goatwar accomplished this.

This is the best post in the thread, and a lot of people forget this. It is very important to do the best with what you have, rather than blaming the equipment.... It is very easy to say or think "Once I get this next thing, I'll make great recordings!" But the true thing to think is, "Once I learn more and become a better recordist, I'll get better recordings."

The composition is the most important thing.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:53 am 

Indeed, and I never thought I'd agree with Prominence! Use what you have to make the best possible recording! But don't let that stop you from obtaining upgrades along the way. Who knows, maybe you're strange collection of equipment will help spawn some sort of interesting, original sound for your band.

Cloud108
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:40 am 

Prominence wrote:

Wait, someone put mics inside rats?

Traver
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:39 am 

Cloud108 wrote:
Prominence wrote:

Wait, someone put mics inside rats?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=21976

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:01 pm 

If you want to have a rougher sound like many black metal bands, don't focus on specifics for your equipment - buy some used analog recording gear, a simple 4 track cassette recorder and old microphone(s) are what a lot of low-fi recordings were done on.

Count_Grimith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:55 pm 

Yeah, Darkthrone used a 4track then an 8 for a few albums i remember the interviews he mentioned that, either that or use Fisher Price products.

theRenegade498
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:26 pm 

Webcam + noise + two sticks and random shit to hit = (to some) passable black metal.

I have proven this in the past.

If you want a GOOD sound, go do your own research or just go to a studio, there are some cheap ones if you look.

theRenegade498
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:28 pm 

mattp wrote:

4) Record vocals with the cheapest mic you can find. Bathe the vocals in reverb and compression.

This is how that sounds: http://www.myspace.com/imperorr

BRILLIANT

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.