Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:55 am 

Aside from playing in a classical ensemble, I play quite a bit of normal metal songs on classical git too, helps refine techniques, I find. If you can get it to sound good on nylon it'll sound good period. Or when I'm lazy to plug in. Great to kick back and relax on a couch with one.

Anyone else play?

Aoc
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:31 pm 

Yes, I actually compose most of my material on my Ovation.

I didn't touch an electric guitar until I was 14

mattp
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm 

I would really love to get a classical guitar. It's probably the next thing on my "to buy" list, after I get my seven string together.

frozencemetery
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:04 pm 

I play classical as well, though I tend to use my electric more. I learned to play guitar on the classical.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:43 pm 

mattp wrote:
I would really love to get a classical guitar. It's probably the next thing on my "to buy" list, after I get my seven string together.

Mine is a pretty cheap second hand which I found to be in really good quality, but you probably want to get something better, given what you can probably do with it. I've only been playing for eight months so if it has frets and strings it works for me ;p

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:22 am 

As a music major, I play in the classical guitar ensemble here at UNC. It's quite different from playing electric or steel string, but I find it to be very gratifying and therapeutic. I like music by Barrios and Ralph Towner a lot.

Next semester I have to give my senior recital. Among other things, I'm arranging some music from The Labyrinth (David Bowie) for a guitar trio. Should be a good time!

VLRhmt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:16 am 

I started with classical guitar, but I always played it with a pick, just like an electric guitar. Now I started playing it fingerstyle and I really suck.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:06 am 

Alsandair wrote:
As a music major, I play in the classical guitar ensemble here at UNC. It's quite different from playing electric or steel string, but I find it to be very gratifying and therapeutic. I like music by Barrios and Ralph Towner a lot.

Next semester I have to give my senior recital. Among other things, I'm arranging some music from The Labyrinth (David Bowie) for a guitar trio. Should be a good time!

What are you doing for your senior recital? I'm especially fond of such things, I might even take a music related module for the heck of it in the future.

Parasiticus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 am 

I was a music major for three years and hated every second of the performance aspect of it(end-of-quarter recitals are just awful).

I liked learning the pieces but I hated playing them. Discovering a composer's work a note at a time is what does it for me, so I just do that now. I work my way through Bach and Villa Lobos...and compose little pieces here and there.

There's a little of my classical composition in the metal songs in the links in my sig(there's a mini baroque piece in Transient). If I ever finish enough material for a metal album I will probably include some baroque pieces I've written on it.
Download Parasiticus_The Transient Nature of What We Build 192kpbs.mp3

PhantasmalReaper
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:11 pm 

I am a classical Guitar player and i play in a death/thrash metal band. I find that since a classical is not amplified it takes much more effort to get good sound out of it then an electric guitar, to practice sometimes ill play the classical with a pick for about 30 minutes playing through scales and various warm up exercises, then when i go to the electric it seems like the easiest thing in the world.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:06 am 

PhantasmalReaper wrote:
I am a classical Guitar player and i play in a death/thrash metal band. I find that since a classical is not amplified it takes much more effort to get good sound out of it then an electric guitar, to practice sometimes ill play the classical with a pick for about 30 minutes playing through scales and various warm up exercises, then when i go to the electric it seems like the easiest thing in the world.

This. If you can get a good sound out of nylon you got a good sound period.

Parasiticus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 am 

If anyone is interested in buying a good classical guitar these are some of the best bang for the buck you can find. I have the TP-20 and it sounds better than some concert instruments I have played.

http://www.pavanguitars.com/models.html
Download Parasiticus_The Transient Nature of What We Build 192kpbs.mp3

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.